PDA

View Full Version : Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

ALVAREZ6
09-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Have any of you read this book? What are your opinions on it.

I read it a while ago, but I am just posting this now, not sure why. It was a different book, but I have to say that I liked it.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/038533348X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bob Lanier
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Vonnegut's overrated. But if you want to read one of his books, you picked the right one. Everything but Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse 5, and Breakfast of Champions is awful.

ALVAREZ6
09-11-2006, 06:24 PM
But if you want to read one of his books, your school's English department picked the right one.
:spin

E20
09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I read my sophomore year, I forgot most of it, but it's basically about Ice 9 and how it is being used for mass genocide or something?

ALVAREZ6
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I read my sophomore year, I forgot most of it, but it's basically about Ice 9 and how it is being used for mass genocide or something?
It's about a lot of shit. Ice-Nine is a big part of the book. It was made for happiness and helping humankind, but it resembles a scientific advance that ultimately wipes out the world's population, due to human stupidity and carelessness.

E20
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
It's about a lot of shit. Ice-Nine is a big part of the book. It was made for happiness and helping humankind, but it resembles a scientific advance that ultimately wipes out the world's population, due to human stupidity and carelessness.
From that we can infer that ICE NICE = Atomic/Nuclear energy, and Vonnegut is basically saying that humans are too violent to use that sort of energy peacefully and will end up blowing up the planet. It was published in 1963, so I'm guessing he got the idea due to the Cold War and the Silent War between USSR and USA.

ALVAREZ6
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
From that we can infer that ICE NICE = Atomic/Nuclear energy, and Vonnegut is basically saying that humans are too violent to use that sort of energy peacefully and will end up blowing up the planet. It was published in 1963, so I'm guessing he got the idea due to the Cold War and the Silent War between USSR and USA.
Pretty much.

It's a good book though, very well-thought out, and considering it's from 1963, it's ahead of its time. The book couldn't have been written better.