PDA

View Full Version : Udrih claims job as backup

timvp
10-27-2004, 12:28 AM
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich declared Beno Udrih the team's backup point guard Tuesday night.

He just doesn't know whether Udrih will be healthy enough to assume that role behind Tony Parker when the season starts next week.

Udrih banged his right knee in practice Monday, aggravating an injury he first suffered last month with the Slovenian national team.

"We'll just have to see if he's ready," Popovich said. "That's a real worry for us because he definitely was going to be an important player for us as our backup point guard."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102704.3C.BKNspurs.notebook.2a1773ad.html

ShoogarBear
10-27-2004, 06:55 AM
If you're injured, does it matter if you're named the backup?

If a tree falls in the forest . . .

foodie2
10-27-2004, 08:44 AM
I heard PJ talking about Udrih on the pregame show on the WOAI. The comments he made about his "injury" gave me the impression that he was confirming something that was talked about on this board--that Beno is inclined to take his bumps and bruises too seriously. I can't quote him exactly but he said something like "it seems like he has this history of being hurt".

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 09:12 AM
If they are willing to name him as the backup then he's not a bust. The injury plague, though, is somewhat disconcerting.

timvp
10-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Do people realized that he has missed time with a bruised knee FOUR (4) times in the last five months? That is amazing. Most players shake off a bruised knee in a matter of seconds.

In June, he bruised his left knee during the Chicago draft camp and missed the last couple days of the camp.

In July, he bruised his left knee while practicing before summer league and missed games because of that.

In September, he brusied his right knee while playing for the Slovenian national team and was out for the rest of the tournament.

Now in October, he bruises his right knee during practice and is out for an extended period of time.

Either he has really bad luck or has a very low pain threshold. That wasn't even counting the time he missed during summer league with a bruised hand. I don't know ... maybe he has hemophilia or something.

I've never heard of anyone ever missing action FIVE times (5) over five months because of bruises.

This is a bad trend.

IcemanCometh
10-27-2004, 01:19 PM
maybe hes anemic

Taco
10-27-2004, 02:54 PM
maybe hes anemic

:lol

ShoogarBear
10-27-2004, 07:12 PM
I've never heard of anyone ever missing action FIVE times (5) over five months because of bruises.

This is a bad trend.

Maybe this is why the Spurs let Willis go. Beno wouldn't survive three minutes of a practice with him around.

timvp
10-27-2004, 07:17 PM
:rollin