PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson Will Be The NBA's Vince Lombardi

timvp
10-27-2004, 12:33 AM
Spurs see AJ make big debut
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

DALLAS — By the end of the game, Avery Johnson was out of his seat and patrolling the sideline, calling out plays, pumping his fist, debating a questionable call with the officials, his unmistakable Creole twang stretching across American Airlines Center.

"Whoooo! I think he was set! I think he was set!"

The Spurs had seen Johnson this animated countless times before.

Just not in a coat and tie.

Johnson made his head-coaching debut Tuesday night, sitting in for Dallas' Don Nelson, who allegedly was stricken by the flu. That it came in an exhibition game mattered not to the former Spurs guard.

He burned three timeouts in the final 43.2 seconds before the Spurs held off the Mavericks 98-94.

"Well guys, I'm 0-1," Johnson said. "I had a lot of fun, but I hate losing. I don't care if it's a preseason game.

"If I become a head coach I can already tell I'm going to have a lot of sleepless nights."

Nelson evidently also wasn't feeling well. He phoned in sick with the flu after briefly attending Tuesday morning's shootaround. With assistant Del Harris also ill, Johnson was left in charge.

"I've never harassed any opposing coach in my life," Malik Rose said before the game, "but I think I'm going to start tonight."

Johnson remained in his seat for much of the first half, but grew more lively as the minutes passed. He questioned a call on Mavericks point guard Devin Harris and later calmed Josh Howard after he picked up a technical.

After Tony Massenburg gave the Spurs a 92-91 lead with 47.1 seconds left, Johnson called timeout on three consecutive possessions. The Mavericks drew an offensive foul, missed a long jumper and committed a turnover.

"We didn't execute well down the stretch," Johnson said. "I take full responsibility for that. Hopefully, I'll get it right the next time."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, Johnson's longtime mentor, doesn't doubt he will. The two spent almost as much time with each other prior to the game as they did with their respective staffs.

"I've learned more from him than he's learned from me," Popovich said. "He's taught me so much about the league. He's been so loyal and supportive during my career that he doesn't need any advice from me.

"Everything he did (as a player) was with heart and hustle, with grit and determination. Other players saw that, and the respect he gained was really incredible."

Popovich gave Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen the night off, though Nelson didn't exactly leave Johnson with a full roster, either. Michael Finley, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry and Marquis Daniels all did not play because of injuries. Dirk Nowitzki and Erick Dampier also have missed games in the preseason, so the Mavericks haven't come close to putting their revamped team on the floor together.

"This is not going to hurt my credibility," Johnson joked before the game.

Johnson and Popovich spoke over the summer about having Johnson return to the Spurs for one more season so he could retire in a silver-and-black uniform. Both ultimately decided the Mavericks' offer of a player-coach role was too good to pass up.

Nelson has given Johnson — who most believe is being groomed as his successor — considerable freedom, allowing him to run practices and shootarounds.

As a result, Johnson doesn't plan to pull on his No. 6 jersey again, even though the Mavericks will have the option of activating him at any time this season. He works out to stay in shape, but hasn't practiced since he left Golden State.

"We would have to be down to seven guys," Johnson said. "If all goes well, you won't see me out there."

Johnson is expected to occupy some team's head coach's chair sooner rather than later. A recent NBA.com survey of the league's general managers ranked Johnson as the active player most likely to become a head coach. That didn't come as a surprise to the Spurs.

"He was a coach on the floor," Rose said. "He would always point those little crooked fingers at you and tell you which way to go and what to do, but he was right.

"Even though he's the smallest guy on the court, he always had the biggest presence."

After watching Johnson in action, Rose knows what to get him for Christmas.

"A clipboard," Rose said. "He had all these sheets of paper flying all over the place. He needs to do better than that."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102704.1C.BKNspurs.gamer.2a176f34.html

timvp
10-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Johnson and Popovich spoke over the summer about having Johnson return to the Spurs for one more season so he could retire in a silver-and-black uniform.

Whattt's this, Whottt?

Apologize.

ShoogarBear
10-27-2004, 06:50 AM
"I've never harassed any opposing coach in my life," Malik Rose said before the game, "but I think I'm going to start tonight."

"He was a coach on the floor," Rose said. "He would always point those little crooked fingers at you and tell you which way to go and what to do, but he was right.

"Even though he's the smallest guy on the court, he always had the biggest presence."

After watching Johnson in action, Rose knows what to get him for Christmas.

"A clipboard," Rose said. "He had all these sheets of paper flying all over the place. He needs to do better than that."

Boy, sounds like Malik is really bitter about that fight he and Avery had.

:rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 08:16 AM
AJ's going to trade in his Cajun accent for a thick Brooklyn Italian one, wear hornrims, and sport plaid overcoats?

timvp
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
AJ's going to trade in his Cajun accent for a thick Brooklyn Italian one, wear hornrims, and sport plaid overcoats?

Perhaps. :smokin

P.S.

Where is Whotttt?

Taco
10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Did Malik And Aj Almost Come To Blows In The Locker Room When They Were Team Mates?

whottt
10-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Perhaps. :smokin
P.S.

Where is Whotttt?

Ahh so you decided to start the infatada again ah?

Fact 1. This report is nothing new, it has no details, at no point does it say that AJ was offered a contract. It also doesn't say who initiated the discussion.

Fact 2. At best, even if the Spurs were trying to bring AJ back...he is chosing to end his career as a Mav. Not exactly the Mr. Spur you AJ homers have painted him to be. I'd say his weak case for jersey retirement is made weaker by him chosing to retire in the jersey of our top instate rival.

Fact 3. I realize Pop likes AJ...but you do realize that when Manu was signed Pop gave him AJ's jersey...and told him the last guy to wear that jersey hit a title clinching shot(with 50 seconds left in the game I might add).

Clearly, Pop knew he was giving AJ's jersey to Manu and had no intentions of retiring that jersey. So no matter what Pop said...he is probably as surprised by the misguided sentiment to retire AJ's jersey as anyone.

Fact 4. We had a coaching vacancy and a PG slot open as well...why didn't AJ take that offer? Either it wasn't offered...or he is more of a Mav than a Spur.

Fact 5. AJ sucks!

I don't have a problem with AJ having his fans...I have a problem with people thinking he lead us to a title, when he was the weakest link, and I have a problem with people wanting to hang his jersey in my SBC Center...

If you want to see AJ's jersey hanging...hang it on you fucking wall at home...don't disgrace my team by hanging that unworthy rag among those who do deserve it.

timvp
10-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Ahh so you decided to start the infatada again ah?

Fact 1. This report is nothing new, it has no details, at no point does it say that AJ was offered a contract. It also doesn't say who initiated the discussion.

Johnson and Popovich spoke over the summer about having Johnson return to the Spurs for one more season so he could retire in a silver-and-black uniform.

Are you blind? Can you read?

Fact 2. At best, even if the Spurs were trying to bring AJ back...he is chosing to end his career as a Mav. Not exactly the Mr. Spur you AJ homers have painted him to be. I'd say his weak case for jersey retirement is made weaker by him chosing to retire in the jersey of our top instate rival.

He is going to be a head coach and wanted to get a head start. He wasn't going to replace Pop, but there is a good chance he replaces Nelson. Being the head coach of a team run by a billionaire owner who isn't afraid to spend his money is a good thing. AJ will be able to bring some common sense to that organization.

Fact 3. I realize Pop likes AJ...but you do realize that when Manu was signed Pop gave him AJ's jersey...and told him the last guy to wear that jersey hit a title clinching shot(with 50 seconds left in the game I might add).

Clearly, Pop knew he was giving AJ's jersey to Manu and had no intentions of retiring that jersey. So no matter what Pop said...he is probably as surprised by the misguided sentiment to retire AJ's jersey as anyone.

This is the same franchise that give away number 13 ... only to later realize it was retired already.

Fact 4. We had a coaching vacancy and a PG slot open as well...why didn't AJ take that offer? Either it wasn't offered...or he is more of a Mav than a Spur.

See "fact" number 2.

I don't have a problem with AJ having his fans...I have a problem with people thinking he lead us to a title, when he was the weakest link, and I have a problem with people wanting to hang his jersey in my SBC Center...

If you want to see AJ's jersey hanging...hang it on you fucking wall at home...don't disgrace my team by hanging that unworthy rag among those who do deserve it.

My? You better be Peter Holt.

In that case, have the next round on me and try to see the light.

:drunk

whottt
10-27-2004, 07:17 PM

Are you blind? Can you read?

Can you show me where it says a contract was offered(remember that bet you welched on) or who initiated the discussion? It matters.

AJ:Hiya Pop how ya doing? Looking for a scrub to carry Parker's jock?
Translation: Does Duncan still hate me? I might not have a job as a coach or a player this season.

Pop:Hey Avery doing good...Um, yeah, sure we might be interested. For the minimum and no playing time.
Transalation:Fuck, I love AJ, but how do I tell him Duncan hates his guts. Ahh I got it.....RC told me the Mavs are interested in him, maybe I can play this smart and drive up his price to sign with them. No fucking way we can play him..Boy did Fisher kick his ass.

AJ then tells media: Spurs are begging me to sign with them.
Translation:See? Pop likes me can I get a job?

Pop tells media: Just as AJ is the greatest PG in history and carried David Robinson to the HOF, I feel he can make this same type of impact as a coach...
Translation: Please Cuban take my ass off the hook(and pay extra to do it *evilcialaugh*..

He is going to be a head coach and wanted to get a head start. He wasn't going to replace Pop, but there is a good chance he replaces Nelson. Being the head coach of a team run by a billionaire owner who isn't afraid to spend his money is a good thing. AJ will be able to bring some common sense to that organization.

Horsehockey...the Mavs could have just as easily hired him as an assistant off the Spurs, when their head coaching slot opened.

It happens all the time. Terry Porter for instance.

This is the same franchise that give away number 13 ... only to later realize it was retired already.

Um when they gave the 13 away they didn't say: " wear this jersey well, it's a retired number".

When they gave AJ's away, they mentioned it was his jersey as they gave it to Manu, I saw the press conference. They were very well aware it was AJ's jersey they were giving to Manu.

timvp
10-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Can you show me where it says a contract was offered(remember that bet you welched on) or who initiated the discussion? It matters.

AJ:Hiya Pop how ya doing? Looking for a scrub to carry Parker's jock?
Translation: Does Duncan still hate me? I might not have a job as a coach or a player this season.

Pop:Hey Avery doing good...Um, yeah, sure we might be interested. For the minimum and no playing time.
Transalation:Fuck, I love AJ, but how do I tell him Duncan hates his guts. Ahh I got it.....RC told me the Mavs are interested in him, maybe I can play this smart and drive up his price to sign with them. No fucking way we can play him..Boy did Fisher kick his ass.

AJ then tells media: Spurs are begging me to sign with them.
Translation:See? Pop likes me can I get a job?

Pop tells media: Just as AJ is the greatest PG in history and carried David Robinson to the HOF, I feel he can make this same type of impact as a coach...
Translation: Please Cuban take my ass off the hook(and pay extra to do it *evilcialaugh*..

That was a cute little puppet show. Too bad it has no basis in reality.

Horsehockey...the Mavs could have just as easily hired him as an assistant off the Spurs, when their head coaching slot opened.

It happens all the time. Terry Porter for instance.

Do you know what a "head start" means? Look it up.

whottt
10-27-2004, 07:34 PM
That was a cute little puppet show. Too bad it has no basis in reality.

Do you know what a "head start" means? Look it up.

Don't need to...Fact is AJ is already very familiar with the Mavs team. In fact he kind of coached at the end of his last stay there(before they summoned the incredible will it takes to trade a player the caliber of Avery Johnson)

He is no longer as familiar with the Spurs...

A year coaching under Pop AJ could..

A.Work on coaching defense(which the Mavs could use).
B.Find the weaknesses of the best players on the Mavs top instate rival.

And he could have still gone into the Mavs without skipping a beat...at least he should be able too if he's as good of a coaching talent as you claim(and I agree)...Terry Porter did it.

The numbers just don't add up...there wasn't any strong desire to bring AJ back here..and if there was show me an indicator of it.

SequSpur
10-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Avery sucks.

toosmallshoes
10-28-2004, 06:30 AM
you AJ haters are idiots.

whottt
10-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Wow, another AJ fascist...how unique.

toosmallshoes
10-29-2004, 01:37 AM
wow, an AJ hater. how strange. no seriously.... huh? Hating AJ? Hating AJ is certianly much more unique than liking him, and i happen to think he's more awesome than a pile of strawberries and whipped cream.