PDA

View Full Version : SA to get Two New Central Markets.

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 03:05 AM
The HEB on DeZavala and 10 will be converted into a Central Market within the next few months. Also, the HEB at Blanco and 1604 will be converted into a new concept store that features Central Market. Construction on that store will last 8 months.

T Park
09-13-2006, 03:31 AM
When does it start?

Nothing on the southside still?

The silly assumptions continue about the southside I see.

MannyIsGod
09-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Dude, the southside doesn't need a Central Market. There's nothing silly about that.

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 04:46 AM
The southside is content with the Walmart Supercenters and HEB Plus!'s as well as the other HEB stores.

A Central Market on the southside wouldn't last two weeks.

With that said, the new Walmart at Military and Goliad at City-Base is the best Walmart Supercenter in the city. It's big as hell and the design is like no other in SA.

Melmart1
09-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Why are there no HEB Pluses on the West side? Why are there no Central Markets on the West side? All we have is that damn El Mercado, I see the silly assumptions about the West Side being full of Mexicans who would shop at someplace called El Mercado still exist :rolleyes

katyon6th
09-13-2006, 06:17 AM
When does it start?

Nothing on the southside still?

The silly assumptions continue about the southside I see.

What the fuck? The Southside got their damn bookstore.

KEDA
09-13-2006, 06:38 AM
no shit Katy

you southsiders got your bookstore, and you have 2 Office Depots.

Im glad we are getting a Central Market on my side of town, the beer selection is nice!

Ginofan
09-13-2006, 06:59 AM
The HEB on DeZavala and 10 will be converted into a Central Market within the next few months. Also, the HEB at Blanco and 1604 will be converted into a new concept store that features Central Market. Construction on that store will last 8 months.
The DeZavala store should be pretty cool, the only thing different about the Blanco store will be a Central Market Cafe on the Run. Everything else should stay the same.

Ginofan
09-13-2006, 07:02 AM
New HEB Plus at westlakes, New one on 1604 near 281, new one at mcrelless mall. HEB is also openening a new concept store in Houston called Mi Tienda. It's a Mexican market themed store. Pretty cool place. Too bad i gotta spend the next fucking week at that damn store.

johnsmith
09-13-2006, 07:15 AM
New HEB Plus at westlakes, New one on 1604 near 281, new one at mcrelless mall. HEB is also openening a new concept store in Houston called Mi Tienda. It's a Mexican market themed store. Pretty cool place. Too bad i gotta spend the next fucking week at that damn store.

I thought it was going to be a central market on 1604 and 281 as well?

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Fuck HEB. La Fiesta is where it's at.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-13-2006, 08:35 AM
no shit Katy

you southsiders got your bookstore, and you have 2 Office Depots.

Im glad we are getting a Central Market on my side of town, the beer selection is nice!

Two OD's?

How'd your cracker-ass pull that off?

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Why do Southsiders need a bookstore?

CharlieMac
09-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Good. That Central Market now is way too uppity for me.

Plus, more shit on DeZavala makes sense. It's 10 minutes away from me. That's what really matters here.

samikeyp
09-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Figures...they put the Central Markets in after I will be leaving! :p

sa_butta
09-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Figures...they put the Central Markets in after I will be leaving! :pWhere you going?

CosmicCowboy
09-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Nice about the new DeZavala location...It's less than 10 minutes from my house and I can hit it from the backside without getting on the freeway/access speedway...only bad thing about that location though is that the parking is ALREADY terrible there...can't imagine how bad it will get now...

johnsmith
09-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Nice about the new DeZavala location...It's less than 10 minutes from my house and I can hit it from the backside without getting on the freeway/access speedway...only bad thing about that location though is that the parking is ALREADY terrible there...can't imagine how bad it will get now...

Hit it from the backside............good stuff.

ashbeeigh
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Man, I was just telling someone that I hate going to HEB on De Zavala because they never had what I wanted. :tu

samikeyp
09-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Where you going?

Lansing, MI

No HEB's there! :depressed :lol

ashbeeigh
09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Lansing, MI

:td When I moved back here from Wisconsin the first place we went was HEB, then to Taco Cabana. :lol

samikeyp
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah...we are taking some TC for the road! :)

sa_butta
09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Lansing, MI

No HEB's there! :depressed :lolAwesome I got family up there. Too bad you will be in Spartan country.
And at least you wont have to deal with the heat so much. Did you get a job up there?

the best stores up there are Mejers I beleive they are called and they have some Piggly Wigglys too.

JoeChalupa
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Lansing, MI

No HEB's there! :depressed :lol

GO BIG TEN!! :)

I love my H-E-B!

samikeyp
09-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Working on the job situation as we speak. I have heard a lot of "sounds great, call us when you get here" so who knows. Luckily the wife will be able to transfer. Yes Mejers is the store up there and they do have Wal-Mart so it won't be totally alien to me. But I doubt that Wal-Mart will have Texas flag bathroom fixtures! :lol

JoeChalupa
09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I loved living in Ohio and those Buckeyes!!
The winters can be mighty cold but I loved the changing of the seasons.

Good luck!!

samikeyp
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks....I have been able to take care of most of the important things:

Apartment
Phone
Electric
Cable
Nearest Hooters (1.27 miles!) :eyebrows

sa_butta
09-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks....I have been able to take care of most of the important things:

Apartment
Phone
Electric
Cable
Nearest Hooters (1.27 miles!) :eyebrowsAre you going to get league pass or something to watch the Spurs games?

samikeyp
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I am going to look into that. The Hooters down the street has satellite so I can get the NFL there (darn...an excuse to go to Hooters!) I will be looking into league pass.

Silver21_Black20
09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
With that said, the new Walmart at Military and Goliad at City-Base is the best Walmart Supercenter in the city. It's big as hell and the design is like no other in SA.

:tu

gameFACE
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
WOW! One bookstore and two Office Depot’s on the southside and now two new Central Markets on the norhtside. Someone get style.defined to do a cover story for C San Antonio. QUICK!!!

T Park
09-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Yeah that bookstore is huge :lol

Its about what 50 feet deep?

And on top of it, its a freakin Waldenbooks or somethin or other, totally worthless.

We want our barnes and noble goddamnt.

ShoogarBear
09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
WOW! One bookstore and two Office Depot’s on the southside and now two new Central Markets on the norhtside. Someone get style.defined to do a cover story for C San Antonio. QUICK!!!:lol Yeah, whatever happened to that bitch?

Das Texan
09-13-2006, 02:29 PM
The growth on the southside recently has been amazing and something I didnt forsee happening at the pace it has been happening.

With that said, a Central Market would be nice, but its not going to happen. We will be getting the HEB plus which is something hte other areas of town doesnt really have, will be two of them on the southside, southwestish and southeastish, once they start actually building at the old mall site.

Baby steps folks. Baby steps.

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2006, 02:29 PM
The Southside needs more liquor stores and pawn shops.

Das Texan
09-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah that bookstore is huge :lol

Its about what 50 feet deep?

And on top of it, its a freakin Waldenbooks or somethin or other, totally worthless.

We want our barnes and noble goddamnt.

i do agree with that. its on the southwest part of town basically and its a piece of trash.

hopefully they incorporate something into the brooks city base that includes a bookstore at some point.

Das Texan
09-13-2006, 02:31 PM
The Southside needs more liquor stores and pawn shops.

there actually arent a huge number of liquor stores on the southside.

ice houses, yes.

pawn shops, yes.

dollar stores, yes.

liquor stores, no.

midgetonadonkey
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I love pawn shops. It's like a flea market that's open everyday.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-13-2006, 02:37 PM
I love pawn shops. It's like a flea market that's open everyday.

Yeah, but there's just something about Flea-Mart and driving halfway to Poteet for knockoff jewelry, discount electronics, aluminum siding and every cassette from every Latino to ever record anything musically.

PM5K
09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
What's a central market?

CubanMustGo
09-13-2006, 02:57 PM
What's a central market?

http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/index.jsp

PM5K
09-13-2006, 04:27 PM
No really, what's a central market....

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 04:37 PM
A HEB Plus! will be built at 1604 and Potranco as well.

People need to stop confusing the southside with the Southeast side. If the "southside" gets its first Barnes or Borders it's gonna be on the southeast side.

T Park
09-13-2006, 05:08 PM
god help me, im gonna go freakin postal if they start building another one of them goddamn 99Cent stores down here.

bastards.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-13-2006, 05:09 PM
But what if they have $0.99 books?

T Park
09-13-2006, 05:10 PM
:lol

Damnt, a conundrum.

Das Texan
09-13-2006, 05:23 PM
A HEB Plus! will be built at 1604 and Potranco as well.

People need to stop confusing the southside with the Southeast side. If the "southside" gets its first Barnes or Borders it's gonna be on the southeast side.

Its still the southside, though thats all like lumping the northwest, northcentral and northeast sides together.

I consdier South Park southwest. Toyota is southwest. Waldenbooks is southwest.

Brooks is southeast. There is nothing in the South Central really.

There is no book store on the southeast side. The Southside, particuarly the southwest and southeast are growing leaps and bounds and in quite different ways.

Here's to the growth of both, but the one I care about is the southeast side as that is home home.

leemajors
09-13-2006, 05:31 PM
No really, what's a central market....

a HEB store with organic produce and grossly inflated prices, but still cheaper than whole foods. as far as bookstores go, amazon is what i buy my books off, it's considerably cheaper than any other store and with amazon prime and $80 a year for free 2 day shipping it's not even close in price.

Jekka
09-13-2006, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't mind the new Central Markets so much if there wasn't so much more that needed improvement in the HEB stores at Hildebrand/Fredricksberg and Olmos/San Pedro as opposed to the HEB at De Zavala which is already pretty damn nice. The HEBs by our apartment suck some major ass - the produce sections are pathetic, not just in terms of size, but in quality.

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Toyota is southwest.

Toyota is south. It's almost a direct line from downtown to the Toyota site 10 miles south.

Das Texan
09-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Toyota is south. It's almost a direct line from downtown to the Toyota site 10 miles south.

call it what you want.

PM5K
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
a HEB store with organic produce and grossly inflated prices, but still cheaper than whole foods.

So it's for rich white people?

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 06:12 PM
call it what you want.

What do you mean by that?

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2309/downtowntotoyotamb3.png

Downtown to Toyota. 11.5 miles.

spurschick
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Also, the HEB at Blanco and 1604 will be converted into a new concept store that features Central Market. Construction on that store will last 8 months.

SWEEEEEEET!!!! :elephant

Das Texan
09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
What do you mean by that?

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2309/downtowntotoyotamb3.png

Downtown to Toyota. 11.5 miles.

downtown to a lot fo places is 11.5 miles or less.

i consider toyota to be just on the southwest part of town, then again the south central i have as being really small as it is.

Zunni
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Working on the job situation as we speak. I have heard a lot of "sounds great, call us when you get here" so who knows. Luckily the wife will be able to transfer. Yes Mejers is the store up there and they do have Wal-Mart so it won't be totally alien to me. But I doubt that Wal-Mart will have Texas flag bathroom fixtures! :lol
Meijers Thrifty Acres, AKA Meijers Shift Takers.

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 07:00 PM
downtown to a lot fo places is 11.5 miles or less.

i consider toyota to be just on the southwest part of town, then again the south central i have as being really small as it is.

How can you have south central being small? Each geographical divider is equal in size.

Toyota is not in the southwest side, if you're too stubborn to understand this, then whatever.

Das Texan
09-13-2006, 09:25 PM
How can you have south central being small? Each geographical divider is equal in size.

Toyota is not in the southwest side, if you're too stubborn to understand this, then whatever.

because i dont focus things strictly on geographic areas as the end all to everything.

geographic wise, yes toyota is south central.

but things arent exactly that simple.

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
because i dont focus things strictly on geographic areas as the end all to everything.

:lol :lol

geographic wise, yes toyota is south central.

Exactly. It's that simple.

but things arent exactly that simple.

What? How is it not that simple?

WTF is a compass for than?

Buddy Holly
09-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Some new information on the Blanco and 1604 HEB.

Work on the new concept HEB starts next week. And by "new concept" I really mean, new concept as its the first of its kind for HEB.

The likely name for it will be Central Market PLUS!.

scott
09-13-2006, 10:27 PM
The Southside definitely needs a Central Market. I hear the demand for brie, truffles and $80 wine is out of control down there!

KEDA
09-13-2006, 11:00 PM
SWEEEEEEET!!!! :elephant

maybe Melissa will have lunch with me when the new HEB is open

maybe

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-13-2006, 11:16 PM
mabye Melissa will have lunch with me when the new HEB is open

mabye

I hear she likes good spellers.

SequSpur
09-13-2006, 11:28 PM
dude, we shop at the meat market... fuck heb. i can go to the meat market, buy tortillas, beer, dress like shit and talk in spanish without anybody saying shit.

plus i can get coke from mexico. :smokin

KEDA
09-13-2006, 11:29 PM
thats redneck for maybe

gameFACE
09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
The Southside definitely needs a Central Market. I hear the demand for brie, truffles and $80 wine is out of control down there!
So if the northside is getting two CM's the demand for all that stuff is double out of control, eh? That's some real classy eatin' right there. Faaaaancy! Will they have cocktail weenies too? That's almost as classy as Prada. Does the northside have a Prada store yet? I hear the demand for Italian fashion is out of control up there for the wine and cheese elite.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-13-2006, 11:56 PM
dude, we shop at the meat market... fuck heb. i can go to the meat market, buy tortillas, beer, dress like shit and talk in spanish without anybody saying shit.

plus i can get coke from mexico. :smokin

It's also got to be great for you that they have that cool riding horse and police car outside that still work for just a quarter.

Buddy Holly
delete

Buddy Holly
So if the northside is getting two CM's the demand for all that stuff is double out of control, eh? That's some real classy eatin' right there. Faaaaancy! Will they have cocktail weenies too? That's almost as classy as Prada. Does the northside have a Prada store yet? I hear the demand for Italian fashion is out of control up there for the wine and cheese elite.

It was appropriate and funny when Scott did it, it's definitely neither when some one with half the intelligence and even worse presentation tries it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-13-2006, 11:57 PM
But it's especially clever when it's double posted.

KEDA
09-13-2006, 11:57 PM
what ever happened to being thankful that HEB is deciding to spend money to improving stores and creating extra jobs.

everybody wants theirs and nobody is thankful.

seriously, when we opend the OD off of Military and 37 people bitched at us as to why we havent built down there sooner. Southsiders are always about whats in it for me, not whats in it for the community. No thank yous for giving junior a chance to work for a good company that he can work for and just mabye develop a career.

People are funny sometimes.

SequSpur
09-13-2006, 11:58 PM
It's also got to be great for you that they have that cool riding horse and police car outside that still work for just a quarter.

you ever see the rides at the HEB on Marbach?

No thanks.

gameFACE
09-14-2006, 12:02 AM
But it's especially clever when it's double posted.
:lmao

As long as they have Farmer Jones brand milk i'll be happy..................

Buddy Holly
09-14-2006, 12:03 AM
:lmao

You see it was clever, it was funny, you laughed and I laughed. Take note.

gameFACE
09-14-2006, 12:09 AM
You see it was clever, it was funny, you laughed and I laughed. Take note.
You almost have it right. We both laughed. I laughed AT it not WITH it. It had all the cleverness of cocktail weenie society.

KEDA
09-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Blaze knows all about cocktail weenies!!!

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Blaze knows all about cocktail weenies!!!

Funny, that's exactly what Meg said about you.

SequSpur
09-14-2006, 12:27 AM
oh hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShoogarBear
09-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Do they have Whole Foods in SA?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Yeah, but I only know of the one at The Quarry...there's probably more, though.

gospursgojas
09-14-2006, 01:27 AM
Remember HEB marketplace???

Das Texan
09-14-2006, 01:34 AM
what ever happened to being thankful that HEB is deciding to spend money to improving stores and creating extra jobs.

everybody wants theirs and nobody is thankful.

seriously, when we opend the OD off of Military and 37 people bitched at us as to why we havent built down there sooner. Southsiders are always about whats in it for me, not whats in it for the community. No thank yous for giving junior a chance to work for a good company that he can work for and just mabye develop a career.

People are funny sometimes.

and northsiders arent the exact same way?

its human nature that people act that way

the people want to at least have the same stores as everyone else in the city without having to drive across the city to get to one. can you blame them?

look at what happened when krispy kreme came here, exact same reaction.

human nature.

PM5K
09-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah I'll be thankful when HEB gives me the shit for free, so long as they charge I can bitch as much as they want, they aren't doing me any favors, they are running a business...

atxrocker
09-14-2006, 02:22 AM
i'm glad to hear this news. there are enough central markets here in austin, i'm satisfied. i'm happy they are spreading stores around your poor city.

T Park
09-14-2006, 02:28 AM
Damn, JohnnyB has some serious ownage of the red headed truck sleeper tonight.

Buddy Holly
09-14-2006, 03:06 AM

What happened at Krispy is what happens in every city they open in. It's a reaction of "Yes! Finally, it's here." Hell, people travel great distances just to attend Krispy Kreme openings.

Keda is talking about something else. I agree with you, it happens everywhere but your example was wrong.

Buddy Holly
09-14-2006, 03:09 AM
i'm glad to hear this news. there are enough central markets here in austin, i'm satisfied. i'm happy they are spreading stores around your poor city.

There's only two there. :lol

DFW has three now with a fourth on the way and Houston has one.

San Antonio has one with two on the way.

San Antonio is HEB's home, it's HQ is here, it's about time they quit worrying about other markets and worked here which is what they're now doing. Many of their old stores will be updated as well as finally a HEB for downtown.

KEDA
09-14-2006, 06:39 AM
and northsiders arent the exact same way?

its human nature that people act that way

the people want to at least have the same stores as everyone else in the city without having to drive across the city to get to one. can you blame them?

human nature.

when I built my store at Blanco & 1604 all I ever heard were "we sure are glad you are here" and "thanks for building a location that is close to my house"

I have even talked with some of the customer base from out newest location on Bandera & 1604 and they are thrilled, I have yet to hear a negative comment about us waiting too long to build a store.

except for the southside store

but I guess everyone shows their excitment for job growth in their own way.

Kori Ellis
09-14-2006, 06:42 AM
when I built my store at Blanco & 1604

You built and own a store?

ShoogarBear
09-14-2006, 07:20 AM

Lemonade stand. Third grade.

leemajors
09-14-2006, 08:06 AM
There's only two there. :lol

DFW has three now with a fourth on the way and Houston has one.

San Antonio has one with two on the way.

San Antonio is HEB's home, it's HQ is here, it's about time they quit worrying about other markets and worked here which is what they're now doing. Many of their old stores will be updated as well as finally a HEB for downtown.

heb's home may be in SA, but the first central market opened in austin in 94 - central market owes its popularity to trendy austinite yippies and UT students.

09-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Since I usually shop at the Blanco/1604 HEB, hopefully when they remodel they'll widen the fucking aisles to where more than 1 cart can go through at a time.

Das Texan
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
when I built my store at Blanco & 1604 all I ever heard were "we sure are glad you are here" and "thanks for building a location that is close to my house"

I have even talked with some of the customer base from out newest location on Bandera & 1604 and they are thrilled, I have yet to hear a negative comment about us waiting too long to build a store.

except for the southside store

but I guess everyone shows their excitment for job growth in their own way.

neither of those stores were in areas ignored for over 20 years or with the next closest office store over 10 miles away.

ShoogarBear
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Since I usually shop at the Blanco/1604 HEB, hopefully when they remodel they'll widen the fucking aisles to where more than 1 cart can go through at a time.

Damn, you're always bitching about traffic. I forgot which thread this was. :lol

09-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Damn, you're always bitching about traffic. I forgot which thread this was. :lol

Eat shit and bark at the moon Shoog.

:lol

samikeyp
09-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Remember HEB marketplace???

Its still there.

MannyIsGod
09-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Central Market rules. Yeah, it sucks that you pay more for the stuff, but it also has lots of meat that you can't find anywhere else. Its the only place in town with halfway decent seafood too.

HEB sucks ass though. Especially the ones near me. I can never find decent fucking produce and they can never keep their shelves stocked. It gets really fucking annoying when I go to pick up some tomatos and every one there is smashed, not fresh, or just plain gross. Who the hell buys shit like that?

Whole foods is way too expensive and their stuff isn't all that great either. When we lived closer to Sun Harvest I'd go get fresh meat/fish there and it was OK but really this city lacks a place to get good quality meat and fish or produce.

leemajors
09-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Central Market rules. Yeah, it sucks that you pay more for the stuff, but it also has lots of meat that you can't find anywhere else. Its the only place in town with halfway decent seafood too.

HEB sucks ass though. Especially the ones near me. I can never find decent fucking produce and they can never keep their shelves stocked. It gets really fucking annoying when I go to pick up some tomatos and every one there is smashed, not fresh, or just plain gross. Who the hell buys shit like that?

Whole foods is way too expensive and their stuff isn't all that great either. When we lived closer to Sun Harvest I'd go get fresh meat/fish there and it was OK but really this city lacks a place to get good quality meat and fish or produce.

HEB is hit or miss here in austin - the one closest to campus is basically a central market, they have the same beer/wine selection, a bulk foods section, and a whole organic product/produce section. in the nicer areas of town the HEBs offer more selection - the one off far west has a kosher deli, which is awesome, but one a few miles away at 2222 and burnet has limited selections of just about everything. the nicer HEBs always have great looking produce and meats and a better beer/wine selection.

KEDA
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM

most of the fixturing in the paper area, all of the copy and print center, alot of the fixturing on the supply side and we are getting ready to re-do the whole technology area, which I will be in charge of.

I have built fixturing in most of the stores here in SA, and set up alot of the copy and print centers as well.

Ginofan
09-14-2006, 02:26 PM

I thought mexicans were the ones selling produce...not buying it, wtf are you thinking?! :lol

The HEBs I shop at (DeZavala, Huebner/NW Military, and Wurzbach/I-10) all have good selections, except maybe not so much the Huebner store because of it's small size, though they do have a Kosher section if you're into that.

I've been to the Plus store numerous times since it's close to my work and though I haven't really bought hardcore groceries there, it seems to be a great place to shop. It's big enough so that it doesn't seem so crowded all the time, like normal HEBs do (at least to me). That's what really bugs me when I go grocery shopping, all the damn people! People just leaving their baskets in the middle of an already small aisle, or people taking 40 items to the express lane and then writing a check, annoying stuff.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I thought mexicans were the ones selling produce...not buying it, wtf are you thinking?! :lol

The HEBs I shop at (DeZavala, Huebner/NW Military, and Wurzbach/I-10) all have good selections, except maybe not so much the Huebner store because of it's small size, though they do have a Kosher section if you're into that.

I've been to the Plus store numerous times since it's close to my work and though I haven't really bought hardcore groceries there, it seems to be a great place to shop. It's big enough so that it doesn't seem so crowded all the time, like normal HEBs do (at least to me). That's what really bugs me when I go grocery shopping, all the damn people! People just leaving their baskets in the middle of an already small aisle, or people taking 40 items to the express lane and then writing a check, annoying stuff.

Now here's a question along those last lines.

I know people that justify going into the express lanes if it's multiple items of the same thing (IE: dog food, etc.).

To me, if it has to possibly be scanned to count, it's an item.

Pop OFits
09-14-2006, 02:37 PM

Is there a link or is this a rumor? Where did you get this info? You don't have to name names, just a general idea where.

Ginofan
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Now here's a question along those last lines.

I know people that justify going into the express lanes if it's multiple items of the same thing (IE: dog food, etc.).

To me, if it has to possibly be scanned to count, it's an item.

Dog food i can see, but only if it's the bagged kind that's so huge you can't put it on the conveyer thingie, maybe packs of sodas too or water, but chucking 50 cans of baby food, produce, bread or whatever in the express lane is stupid and discourteous to 12 other people behind you with their one or two items.

samikeyp
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Mandy,

Do you ever go to the "Baby B" over across from Michaels?

Pop OFits
09-14-2006, 04:37 PM

Is there a link or is this a rumor? Where did you get this info? You don't have to name names, just a general idea where.

BUMP FOR BUDDY HOLLY

Ginofan
09-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Mandy,

Do you ever go to the "Baby B" over across from Michaels?

Sometimes I do. We have dinner at a restraunt right there every Friday so if I need something I'll usually stop in there. Plus, my brother works at that one in the summers, he likes having only 6 registers, it's dead all the time :lol

MannyIsGod
09-14-2006, 06:25 PM
People that write checks in the express lane deserve to die.

Mark in Austin
09-14-2006, 10:30 PM
The best HEB concept I've ever seen is one that only has two locations I am aware of: The Woodlands Market at the lifestyle center behind the Woodlands Mall and one the just opened up in SW Austin at Slaughter & Escarpment. It's basically a cross between a Central Market and a high end regular HEB like the one on Blanco & 1604. Sounds like they are moving the Blanco & 1604 store closer to this hybrid format.

All the growth right now in the grocery industry is in prepared foods (like the rotesserie chickens, etc.) so it doesn't surprise me that HEB is experimenting with ways of adding more of this to their stores.

Buddy Holly
09-14-2006, 10:34 PM
It's an entirely new concept.

leemajors
09-14-2006, 10:48 PM
The best HEB concept I've ever seen is one that only has two locations I am aware of: The Woodlands Market at the lifestyle center behind the Woodlands Mall and one the just opened up in SW Austin at Slaughter & Escarpment. It's basically a cross between a Central Market and a high end regular HEB like the one on Blanco & 1604. Sounds like they are moving the Blanco & 1604 store closer to this hybrid format.

All the growth right now in the grocery industry is in prepared foods (like the rotesserie chickens, etc.) so it doesn't surprise me that HEB is experimenting with ways of adding more of this to their stores.

is it like the one on red river and 40th or so?

leemajors
09-14-2006, 10:52 PM
It's an entirely new concept.

sounds really new... to san antonio.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2004/07/19/daily23.html