PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw Doesn't Like The Suns Extension Offer

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
It says on HoopsHype. I can't get the article to come up because you have to register to azcentral.com. It says that Boris Diaw wants 10 million a year and the Suns are offering him a 8 million deal. If he doesn't sign by Halloween, he'll be a restricted free agent next offseason.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Sides Still Apart On Diaw Extension
13th September, 2006 - 5:46 am
Arizona Republic - Although talks remain pleasant and positive between Boris Diaw and the Phoenix Suns , there is nothing imminent in terms of a contract extension, the Arizona Republic is reporting.

The working gap is about $2 million annually on a five-year deal, with the Suns willing to pay Diaw $8 million per year and Diaw seeking about $10 million per year. Some argue that Diaw would not thrive anywhere but Phoenix because of D'Antoni's system.

"Every situation is different," Diaw said. "I don't think it's comparable, because I don't play on the same team or the same way."

"I don't know if we're close," added Diaw. "They know I like the city and the team, and I know they like me. The system fits me. We just have to work it out. It might go to next summer. I'm not sure yet."

Kori Ellis
09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Here's the original article

Sides still apart on Diaw extension

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 13, 2006 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0913diaw0913.html

As far as NBA contract extensions go, the remaining six weeks that the Suns and Boris Diaw have to negotiate one is close to an eternity.

When the Suns were able to sign Leandro Barbosa to his five-year extension Aug. 4, the early agreement was a league anomaly. If a player's extension is not an obvious maximum deal, these matters often linger closer to the Oct. 31 deadline.

And although talks remain pleasant and positive with Diaw, there is nothing imminent, especially with the national team commitments Diaw and Suns Executive Vice President and General Manager Mike D'Antoni had this summer.

The working gap is about $2 million annually on a five-year deal, with the Suns willing to pay Diaw $8 million per year and Diaw seeking about $10 million per year. It looks like the difference between Drew Gooden's new three-year, $23 million contract or Chris Wilcox's new three-year, $24 million deal and the $60 million over six years that Nene got in July. Dallas' negotiations with Josh Howard may be a better comparison, although some argue that Diaw would not thrive anywhere but Phoenix because of D'Antoni's system.

"Every situation is different," Diaw said from Africa, where he is currently on a safari after participating in last week's Basketball Without Borders in South Africa. "I don't think it's comparable, because I don't play on the same team or the same way."

The Suns won't see Diaw again until he meets them in Italy, where they will arrive for camp on Sept. 30. If Diaw does not sign an extension by Halloween, he will be a restricted free agent next summer. The Suns would still be able to match any other team's offer.

"I don't know if we're close," Diaw said. "They know I like the city and the team, and I know they like me. The system fits me. We just have to work it out. It might go to next summer. I'm not sure yet."

Phenomanul
09-13-2006, 05:17 PM
So Diaw wants to be the highest paid frenchman in the league?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Doesn't Tony make like 11?

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2006, 05:40 PM
diaw is fukn overrated, i wonder whose next on the damn suns roster is goin to benifit from there run n gun statpadding system??

no wonder why kandiman is goin there.....

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2006, 05:45 PM
They're bringing in Olowakandi so he can show Diaw how to be a more effective center. :lol

JMarkJohns
09-13-2006, 07:19 PM
In the Suns system at least, he's better than Wilcox and Nene and is up their with Gooden and Harrington, so the contract must be in that range.

I have no problem with a 10-per demand or a long-term deal, but I just don't think he's going to get both. I'd offer a three year, 30 million deal (10 per) or a five year, 42 million deal (8+ per) and let him choose whether he likes the higher per average and the early free agency or the security of an extra 12 million longterm.

ambchang
09-14-2006, 09:11 AM
This year has been crazy. Wilcox and Nene, known cancers with unproven games are getting that type of deals, while Bonzi Wells, known cancer with proven game, are not getting anything.
and now Diaw, who has done absolutely NOTHING before this year, is demanding a $10m per deal?

MajorMike
09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Any system that can make Thomas into a force can make Diaw a superstar. He will be a nice bench player anywhere else.

Bruno
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
$50M/5 years isn't overpaid for Diaw. I don't think he is weaker than players like Butler, Dunleavy or Prince who get this kind of contract.

nkdlunch
09-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't know about that. I would love to see a player like Butler or Prince play with Nash. Diaw, even though I love watching him play, is a little overrated IMO

Bruno
09-14-2006, 12:25 PM
I would love to see a player like Butler or Prince play with Nash.

Diaw has been quite good in Phoenix even when Nash wasn't on the court :
05-06 stats per 40 min for Diaw :
With Nash : 15.7 pts, 0.521 eFG%, 7.9 Rebounds, 6.0 assists, 2.4 TO
Without Nash : 13.9 pts, 0.536 eFG%, 7.6 Rebounds, 9.0 assists, 3.0 TO

You can always say that Suns system allow players to have better stats. It should be a little true even if it's higly overestimated by a lot of people (just look at stats), but Diaw has better stats than Butler and Prince when they get their extensions and is one year younger than them when they get their extensions.

NBA Junkie
09-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Diaw has been quite good in Phoenix even when Nash wasn't on the court :
05-06 stats per 40 min for Diaw :
With Nash : 15.7 pts, 0.521 eFG%, 7.9 Rebounds, 6.0 assists, 2.4 TO
Without Nash : 13.9 pts, 0.536 eFG%, 7.6 Rebounds, 9.0 assists, 3.0 TO

I'm curious as to whether these stats w/o Nash are from the 3 games he missed in '06 or is it the numbers based on his perormance during all games that season when he was on the floor while Nash was resting?

If it's from the former, I don't think that's much to go on since 3 games would be a little difficult to measure with insufficient data.

Bruno
09-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm curious as to whether these stats w/o Nash are from the 3 games he missed in '06 or is it the numbers based on his perormance during all games that season when he was on the floor while Nash was resting?

It's based on all games (2700min : 1800 with Nash, 900 without Nash).

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Geez, all you have to do is give it some bogus info, your email addy's not even validated.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0913diaw0913.html

Sides still apart on Diaw extension

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 13, 2006 12:00 AM

As far as NBA contract extensions go, the remaining six weeks that the Suns and Boris Diaw have to negotiate one is close to an eternity.

When the Suns were able to sign Leandro Barbosa to his five-year extension Aug. 4, the early agreement was a league anomaly. If a player's extension is not an obvious maximum deal, these matters often linger closer to the Oct. 31 deadline.

And although talks remain pleasant and positive with Diaw, there is nothing imminent, especially with the national team commitments Diaw and Suns Executive Vice President and General Manager Mike D'Antoni had this summer.

The working gap is about $2 million annually on a five-year deal, with the Suns willing to pay Diaw $8 million per year and Diaw seeking about $10 million per year. It looks like the difference between Drew Gooden's new three-year, $23 million contract or Chris Wilcox's new three-year, $24 million deal and the $60 million over six years that Nene got in July. Dallas' negotiations with Josh Howard may be a better comparison, although some argue that Diaw would not thrive anywhere but Phoenix because of D'Antoni's system.

"Every situation is different," Diaw said from Africa, where he is currently on a safari after participating in last week's Basketball Without Borders in South Africa. "I don't think it's comparable, because I don't play on the same team or the same way."

The Suns won't see Diaw again until he meets them in Italy, where they will arrive for camp on Sept. 30. If Diaw does not sign an extension by Halloween, he will be a restricted free agent next summer. The Suns would still be able to match any other team's offer.

"I don't know if we're close," Diaw said. "They know I like the city and the team, and I know they like me. The system fits me. We just have to work it out. It might go to next summer. I'm not sure yet."
And if you can see you'll see that Kori put that up about 6 posts ago from yours.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
This year has been crazy. Wilcox and Nene, known cancers with unproven games are getting that type of deals

u r joking about the cancer thing right ? :drunk

When the heck have you EVER heard anything negative about Nene? He is a great teammate and a good guy. Do some research b4 you just assume someone is a cancer coz he got a big contract without playing last year :angel

Xylus
09-14-2006, 04:25 PM
I was worried that Diaw was going to ask for even more than $10 million a year, so this deal isn't so bad. I hope the Suns are willing to give him more than $8 million a year, because I think his talents warrant that kind of money.

He may have only had one good year, but he showed great improvement over the course of that season. He went from a solid bench player in the beginning, to the Suns' #1 scoring option in the Western Conference Finals. The guy does almost everything well, too--he can drive, shoot, rebound, defend, he's a terrific passer, a great ball-handler, and like I said before...he keeps getting better.

Of course, with Amare returning, his role won't be quite as important, but I hope to see this guy in a Suns uniform for many years.

mavsfan1000
09-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Well I don't think Diaw is worth 10 million. 8 million is about right.

picnroll
09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Well I don't think Diaw is worth 10 million. 8 million is about right.
If Diaw is worth 8 what is Josh Howard worth? 6?

East Coast Babe
09-15-2006, 01:46 AM
What are they offering Josh Howard?