PDA

View Full Version : Argentina-New Zealand

jokinen
08-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Argentina won 98-94

ARG:

Ginobili: 19 pts, 3 ast, 2rbs and 1 blk in 30 min
Scola: 25 pts, 2 rbs, 1 ast 9/10 FG, 7/12 FT in 20 min.
Oberto 14 pts, 9 rbs and 5 ast 6/7 FG 2/4 FT in 23 min.

NZ:
Sean Marks: 6 pts and 5 rbs in 22 min.
Phillip Jones: 25 pts, 3 rbs and 1 ast in 26 min
Pero Cameron:21 pts, 2 rbs and 1 ast 6/10 3-PtFG in 30 min.

ChumpDumper
08-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Shouldn't Scola be complaining about coming off the bench?

Where's the big controversy there?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Scola's had more good games in three Olympic outings than Malik had all of last year.

SequSpur
08-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Didn't someone say that Scola wasn't that good and needed to develop his skills to be in the NBA.....????????????

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Malik needs to be traded immediately to make room.

Das Texan
08-21-2004, 01:06 PM
I thought you hated foreigners Sequ.

T Park Num 9
08-21-2004, 02:05 PM
wanna make up your mind wich dumb arguement your gonna make there Sequmoron?

SequSpur
08-21-2004, 04:15 PM
:rollin

I set my alarm clock at 630 to get up and watch this game.

We need Manu, Scola, Lithuanian Kerr Jr., Duncan and Bowen in our lineup.

Spurs would be undefeated.

Das Texan
08-21-2004, 05:08 PM
you are a dumbfuck sequ.

one day you hate foreigners.

the next day you love them.

find a take and be consistent you fucking midget.

jokinen
08-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Shouldn't Scola be complaining about coming off the bench? Where's the big controversy there?

If I were him I definitely would be complaining, but he is not complaining, I guess he realizes that Argentina needs his scoring off the bench, he is the one who keeps the score up when Manu, Nocioni and others are resting.

IMO, not complaining makes him even better.

adonis50
08-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Angola lost its 4th str8 to Greece 56-88, so hopefully there will be no surprises against teamUSA.

smeagol
08-21-2004, 06:44 PM
wanna make up your mind which dumb argument your gonna make there Sequmoron?

Tpark, although Sequ can be a moron sometimes, in this case he is right.

After the ARG. vs S&M game you came out bashing Scola. Here's your exact quote:

This Scola is not impressive.

He doesn't even freakin start for his own country, but yet this guy is gonna come in and beat out Malik Rose for the first big off the bench>!?!?!??!

Please....

IMO, I would package his rights with another player to get a proven big man, or another good player.

Your impressive conclusion came after watching Scola play only one game.

When people pointed out Scola had been the most consistent Argentine player in the friendlies before the Olympics, you said:

No I didnt see Argentina VS SPain or whatever.

But come on. There was a pre olympic game a couple weeks ago and he stunk there too.

This guy, is not, NBA Material.

For someone like Charlotte or the Clippers? Maybe... .

I hope you saw the other two Argentina games they showed on TV and admit you were wrong jumping to a quick conclusion with little evidence to back it up.

By the way, after four games, Scola's stats look like this:

- 2nd highest overall scorer in the Olympics with 19.5 ppg (Manu and Gasol are third with 19.25)

- 1st in 2pt% (75%) :shock

- 2nd in Off rebounds (3 per game)

Other stats are not that impressive, but are far from being mediocre:

- 4.75 rebounds per game

- 2 assists per game

- 1.5 TO per game

- 0.75 ST per game

All this in less than 22 mpg.

And my last point is that almost everybody in this and other Spurs forums wants Scola in a Spurs uniform this year.

ducks
08-21-2004, 07:20 PM
intersting stats

by the way I wanted him as spur this year:smokin2

IcemanCometh
08-21-2004, 07:46 PM
guess what, we have no money for him. So it doesn't matter.

That is the reason he is not here this year, not malik not his defense not his rebound not because he sucks. WE DO NOT HAVE THE CAP ROOM FOR HIM. Next year we can use part of the mle on him (unless the spurs get cheap).

smeagol
08-21-2004, 09:38 PM
guess what, we have no money for him. So it doesn't matter.

Iceman, I know this.

I was trying to drive my point home that Tpark's comments on Scola's game are incorrect. And this is proven not only by Scola's stats and performance so far, but by the fact every thread I read about Argentina, here and in SR, posters want the Spurs to do everything in their power to bring Scola ASAP (despite the fact it will never happen this year given the cap situation).

WriterNum934
08-21-2004, 11:00 PM
TPark and Sequ both look stupid as hell.

KoriEllis
08-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Though Scola's offensive numbers are impressive in this series, he won't get time on the Spurs if his D doesn't get better and he doesn't hit the defensive glass.

If the Spurs can bring him over next year (2005-06), they should though. He could at least sit on IR and play against NBA players in practice to better his D.

ducks
08-21-2004, 11:20 PM
I would bring him over pop got stephen jackson to play d
and some team may want to trade for him
if he will not learn d trade him
some team will just want him for his o

I think he could provide that spark of the bench and give the spurs what rose used to do
the only think is he needs to get more rebounds

but pop will not play him if he does not play d

KoriEllis
08-21-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't know why people are so quick to think that his offense in this Olympics means that he can steadily put up numbers in the NBA.

He would have to make a lot of adjustments, even offensively, to get playing time in the NBA.

Anyway, I think the Spurs should eventually bring over both him and Javtokas and see what they can do.

ducks
08-21-2004, 11:28 PM
I think people think he will do good
because pop and rc picked him
and they have a good record picking people lately

jokinen
08-22-2004, 12:49 AM
If the Spurs can bring him over next year (2005-06), they should though. He could at least sit on IR and play against NBA players in practice to better his D.

Yeah, but he would never come to NBA, at least he has some guarranted minutes.

his rebounding is not that bad, I mean he is averaging 20 mpg and under Fiba rules the stats are never as impressive as in the NBA, not just for the 48 mpg, the game is faster, a lot more of shoots are taken, thats why there is more points, more rebounds, more assists.

Tommy Duncan
08-22-2004, 01:11 AM
A couple of games in the Olympics and suddenly Scola is the second coming. No surprise that the Hate Malik crowd shows up and starts jocking Scola.

**** you ignorant ingrates.

smeagol
08-22-2004, 10:44 AM
A couple of games in the Olympics and suddenly Scola is the second coming. No surprise that the Hate Malik crowd shows up and starts jocking Scola.

MB, this is not my case. The whole point of my post was to state that Scola is no scrub. I don't hate Malik. Actually, I like him.

Kori, the fact that Luis' defense is not up to Spurs standards should be the least of your concerns. Pop will work on that. Manu's defense improved tremendously when he learned the system.

I don't know why people are so quick to think that his offense in this Olympics means that he can steadily put up numbers in the NBA.

But Kori, it is not just the Olympics. Scola has been playing above par for the last year in a very competitive European league.

Again, all I'm saying is that Scola is NBA material. He is not the second coming. But he is not a scrub. Bring him from overseas, teach him the system and he will deliver.