PDA

View Full Version : Best OL in the nation?

LaMarcus Bryant
09-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Some have said UT has the best OL in the nation. I disagree. tOSU got to young Colt farrrr too easily for us to have the best OL in the nation.

How does our OL even stack up to local foes like Nebraska? Agriculture and Mechanical Agriculturers? I haven't seen their games, but anyone who has seen theirs and ours, please comment.

johngateswhiteley
09-13-2006, 09:16 PM
i think USC has a better line than t.u., but as for Nebraska and A&M it is kind of hard to tell since they have not played anybody even as nearly as good as Arkansas. we'll see how the season plays out, but A&M's line is very very good.

Horry For 3!
09-13-2006, 09:39 PM
i think USC has a better line than t.u., but as for Nebraska and A&M it is kind of hard to tell since they have not played anybody even as nearly as good as Arkansas. we'll see how the season plays out, but A&M's line is very very good.
Well duh you will think USC is better than anything because you are biased.

mookie2001
09-13-2006, 10:37 PM
USC?, aggy may be just as good, at least experience wise, Texas oline is the best, and will likely be for many years, factually speaking about commits

samikeyp
09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
The best...no.

I would say top 10 though.

mookie2001
09-13-2006, 10:40 PM
The best...no.

I would say top 10 though.ROFL, what are the other 8 Athlon?

scott
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd put LSU and Auburn up there (oh yeah... awesome game this weekend! :) )

mookie2001
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
way to get saved by an inadvertant whistle vs Willington Brown and the UAB UABrs

scott
09-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Way to be 1-1

johngateswhiteley
09-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Way to be 1-1

nice, if i recall OU is 2-0 and t.u. is 1-1, lol.

LaMarcus Bryant
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM
scott if you seriously need help from JGW then you've changed

leemajors
09-13-2006, 11:40 PM
kinda early in the season to be judging best anything. sample size 2 games? laff.

johngateswhiteley
09-14-2006, 05:13 AM
kinda early in the season to be judging best anything. sample size 2 games? laff.

no doubt, but its still fun to talk about. and its easy to see that OSU's line is better than t.u.'s.

tlongII
09-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I believe Oregon has the best O-line in the country. They have all of their starters returning from last year and they were pretty good then.

leemajors
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
no doubt, but its still fun to talk about. and its easy to see that OSU's line is better than t.u.'s.

ut ran the ball pretty well against OSU, i don't know about that. they also have a very experienced QB that can move around well. that can help how your o-line looks.

Brutalis
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Arkansas has a top 10 OL with Tubbs and Andrews alone. They will be in the NFL soon and talking with smart USC fans when they were in town after the game they said our OL did a better job than anyone thought. It was our backs and qb's screwing up. Preseason has our OL in the top 10 too and althought it was Utah State DMac rushed 20 times for 185 yards. Our OL looked confident after getting no help against USC just pushed DL to the ground.

Anyways the OL is so important in football. A lot of things are but if you can protect you can make better decisions leading towards more points and in the end all you have to have is more of them.

scott
09-15-2006, 07:24 AM
scott if you seriously need help from JGW then you've changed

I know bro... sometimes I can't help people jumping on my bandwagon though. The worst is when it's Duff.

scott
09-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Am I the only person here who doesn't think my team has a Top 10 OL? Some of you people are homerific.

johngateswhiteley
09-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Am I the only person here who doesn't think my team has a Top 10 OL? Some of you people are homerific.

...ha ha, i was thinking the same thing. A&M does not have a top 10 line, imo. but USC obviously does as does t.u.; not so sure about the other teams.

tlongII
09-15-2006, 12:16 PM
...ha ha, i was thinking the same thing. A&M does not have a top 10 line, imo. but USC obviously does as does t.u.; not so sure about the other teams.

Dude, I guarantee you that the Ducks O-line is better than USC's or Texas's.

johngateswhiteley
09-15-2006, 02:40 PM

dude, i love the Pac-10...and i guarantee you its not.

tlongII
09-15-2006, 03:13 PM
dude, i love the Pac-10...and i guarantee you its not.

We shall see. Oklahoma will be a good test.

LaMarcus Bryant
09-15-2006, 05:01 PM
OSU does not have a better line than texas; their running game was completely shut down, while ours was getting us good yards the entire game.

BeerIsGood!
09-16-2006, 01:21 AM
UT's O Line is fine, it's the absolute complete ignorance of Greg Davis to adjust his offense to meet the strengths of the personnel. Colt isn't a running QB. He can get yards scrambling if he has to, but the guy is a gun slinger - yet Davis is running the same offense he did with VY. Options and zone reads?? Texas was showing that it could establish a running game, but they never made OSU bring 8 in the box to stop it. They went away from the power run game without ever making OSU adjust. Horrible play calling. I hope Davis thanks VY because VY just saved Davis' job for another couple of years. We have the D and D coordinators. Is it too much to ask to get an O coordinator who actually knows how to formulate gameplans based on the offensive personnel available?? I think we are a good O coordinator away from really having something here... Mack is the salesman/recruiter who gets the talent but we need an O coordinator who can help the talent succeed.

LaMarcus Bryant
09-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Ever since the option call on 3rd and 12 against Arkansas at home a few years ago it was fucking living proof that Greg Davis is the most horrible o coordinator in the country.

Look at the rose bowl. A game I stay up late at night to watch over and over again (LOL). The play calling was absolute shit; We never ran Qb draws NEARLY that often as in that game, and Greg Davis was so predictable when he was gonna do them. You can't do that shit if you don't have hte greatest college football player of all time at the helm. Vince did save his ass. GD seriously ran the same zone read play at least 1/2 of the whole game.

Meanwhile look at the D in the rosebowl: the fourth and one stops, the coverage, even that one play where lendale stiff armed the FUCK out of huff at hte line of scrimmage, that was a good play call but lendale just totally overpowered our safety.

Greg Davis fucking BLOWS.

j-6
09-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Mack's never going to get rid of his guy - especially now that Davis has both a title and the Broyles Award from last season. Davis had the same job twenty years ago under Mack at Tulane. He had the same job under Mack ten years ago at UNC. And he's been in Austin now for what, eight years?

Our best hope is finding some D-1 athletic director dumb enough to hire Davis away (and convieniently ignore Chizik's defense when reviewing game film) and give him a head job.

Maybe our next OC is the guy coaching Rice's offense today. Remember him?

LaMarcus Bryant
09-16-2006, 11:48 AM
That would be questionable--Major has yet to prove himself. It is just so sickening how every common ncaa fan will tell us 'yeah you need a new offensive coordinator' yet nothing has been done about it.

Maybe mack and greg are lovers or something.

BeerIsGood!
09-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Maybe our next OC is the guy coaching Rice's offense today. Remember him?

I'm interested to see what kind of gameplan Major has against this Horns D, and if he is able to make adjustments during the game. He has a big uphill battle today, but if he shows something I just might be sold. The key against speed defenses is to mix in a good amount of misdirection plays (and actually block well) to keep them guessing and allow them to over run the play. Let's see if he does any of these things. The Horns should still win by 30 or so, but I want to see what Major has in mind for his offense.

LaMarcus Bryant
09-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Did Rice drop the entire wishbone offense thing, cuz i dont see how Applewhite would help them do shit like that.

BUMP
09-16-2006, 04:59 PM

wow. im watching OU locally, and oregon O-line is awesome at runblocking but i would put them just outside the top 10 because they arent great at pass blocking. but ive been impressed

spyder
09-16-2006, 05:56 PM
OU's line looked better than the ducks

BeerIsGood!
09-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Did Rice drop the entire wishbone offense thing, cuz i dont see how Applewhite would help them do shit like that.

No. New coach, new coordinator in Applewhite = new offense. No more Hatfield wishbone. To answer my question from before - I didn't see much misdirection or any sort of plays that were designed to take advantage of the Owl's running QB. It seems Major has a ways to go, but he'll probably get there.

BeerIsGood!
09-19-2006, 04:16 PM
yeah stupid
Sorry, you're wrong.

MosesGuthrie
09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Maybe mack and greg are lovers or something.

Maybe that is why Davis is still employed.