PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one bothered by this?

AlamoSpursFan
10-27-2004, 04:30 AM
And I don't mean bothered in the way that Gary Martin and his cronies at the Excuse For News want me to be bothered, either.

Hispanic groups say more voters being bullied
Web Posted: 10/27/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Gary Martin
Express-News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — Hispanic rights groups aired concerns Tuesday about reports of intimidation and eligibility challenges they say could infringe on the right of Latinos to vote in the presidential election. (Well, duh...if you're ineligible to vote, an eligibility challenge would certainly be an infringement on your suffrage...)

In excess of 7 million Hispanics are projected to vote Nov. 2, exceeding the 2000 total by more than a million.

With the increase comes the possibility of more complaints, representatives of the groups said Tuesday.

"I do believe there will be post-election challenges, (We did NOT need to be told THIS, honey) because we are still seeing intimidation and withholding of information to Latino voters," (HUH?) said Anne Marie Tallman, president and general counsel with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

A toll-free hotline at (888) 839-8682 will operate until Nov. 9 to handle questions and complaints about voting procedures.

Also, nonpartisan materials (MY ASS!) and direct mail are being prepared to help Hispanics navigate complicated voting procedures in many states. (For God's sake, these people are not stupid!)

"Because so many will be voting for the first time, naturalized and native-born alike joining the ranks of frequent voters, we must ensure above all that the integrity of the electoral system is upheld," (Too late, honey...Algore screwed it for all of us!) said Janet Murguia, executive director of National Council of La Raza. (Nooooooooo....no partisanship THERE... :rolleyes )

Armies of Republican and Democratic volunteers are expected at polling sites next week to monitor voting.

Record turnout is projected in Texas and other states as representatives from both parties battle over procedures and voting systems.

More than 27 lawsuits have been filed in nine states contesting registration and voting systems.

In Ohio, 35,000 challenges already have been filed by Republicans questioning eligibility of voters in a state in which registration rolls have 120,000 duplicate names.

New voter registrations have been challenged in Nevada, Colorado and Georgia.

The hotline for Hispanic voters has received 5,000 phone calls from 39 states with questions about voting procedures, said Arturo Vargas with the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials.

About 1 percent included complaints that Spanish-speaking voters were denied language assistance, Vargas said. (Try illegally immigrating to Mexico and asking for English-language assistance in illegally voting in THEIR elections!)

Hispanic voters also have seen their registration challenged in several states, prompting MALDEF to intervene. (How DARE you question Julio Ramiro Dominguez Garcia Francisco y Chavez del Prado de la Cruz's right to vote! Why he's been a fine upstanding citizen of Stanley, Idaho for WEEKS! It just so happens that he misplaced his picture ID during his move from Peoria, Illinois...)

In Georgia, the eligibility of 121 Hispanic voters was challenged by residents concerned about their immigration status. ("I'm not calling them illegals, but everytime someone says the word green, they run and hide...")

In North Carolina, Tallman said, MALDEF and the Justice Department took action after a local sheriff used a voter registration list to check the immigration status of 125 Hispanics. (DAMMIT, STOP CHECKING! They signed the form, what more do you want???)

"We are beginning to see challenges of Latino voters during registration phase that are much higher in this election cycle than in recent history," Tallman said. (Screw it...let's all just change our names to Gonzalez so we can get through life without having our identities verified!)

Murguia said NCLR and other groups are concerned about the reports "of how your last name, or your accent or the area in which you live may affect your ability to go to a polling place and cast your vote."

And, she said, "we are deeply concerned about the growing partisanship with which voter protection is being debated."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Hook Dem
10-27-2004, 09:17 AM
This is an old Democratic strategy. How dare you question their right to slant an election. :lol

JoeChalupa
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Que?