PDA

View Full Version : blast from the past

AFE7FATMAN
09-14-2006, 05:39 AM
The following is one thread from the past 5 years ago- I wonder how many of us remember what we said than??? :lol

Ducks
posted 06-18-2001 07:28 PM Staff Use Only:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an interseting article.
Buck Harvey from the San Antonio Express News reports on how Avery Johnson should begin his coaching career.
"If I were Peter Holt, I wouldn't fire Gregg P

Popovich. Not now. Not after four seasons of relative success. But if I were Holt, I would wonder what happens if the same Spurs who surrendered in Los Angeles show up again in December. I would wonder about options then, and how Popovich's staff offers none, and how it would be possible to kick Popovich upstairs without anyone who could replace him. And then I would wonder about the latest edition of Doc Rivers, albeit a smaller, less polished one, abrasive yet on the cusp of a new career. Coach AJ? It's time he went to the bench."
http://web.archive.org/web/20010629022919/http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=210&xlc=246901&xld=210

I think AJ could help the coach assistants.
WHat do you think? I know some of you think AJ can not play but that is not the topic at hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spur of the moment
posted 06-18-2001 07:35 PM Staff Use Only:

I know A J can play! Just had to say that!
I think AJ would do a great job as assistant

coach! Bring it on AJ! <><

Ducks
posted 06-18-2001 07:46 PM Staff Use Only:

WE need some new offesive assistant coaches bad. AJ would help might not be the only change needed though.
GO SPURS

Longhorn E
posted 06-18-2001 10:34 PM Staff Use Only:

If A.J. becomes a coach with our organization, then that makes my decision
on renewing my season tix that much easier...Not NO, BUT HELL NO!!!!!!!
I'm already on the border line, just for the way this league (NBA/C) is heading...DOWN THE TOILET!!!!!!!If NBC/A wants their top two television markets in the finals each year, regardless of the way the rest of the teams give their all on the court, then the HELL with them!!!!!

DizzG
posted 06-18-2001 10:48 PM Staff Use Only:

What the F***
how can you think AJ would not be a good assistant coach on the bench that Obviously has a good relationship with the players and has a excellent knowledge of the game of basketball and how the X's and O's....

Why would AJ becoming a coach cause you to give up tickets...

thats one of the most pitiful things i have heard...

I am starting to believe more and more that waht many people say outside of SA is true..there is not many "real" Spurs fans period..

Its pretty sick actually..when you look at how many other NBA teams have such great fans..

People in here B I T C H about everything...

Bob Hill, POP, AJ, DROB, tickets, The Dome, etc...

And this team was the best in the west besides the Lakers...

MANY teams were sitting at home while the Spurs were still playing...but people act like the Spurs didnt even make the playoffs and do better than every team except the lakers

Why even watch if you really seem to hate things as much as you post about?

Longhorn E
posted 06-19-2001 07:19 AM Staff Use Only:

DizzG...You just don't get it, do you???
I can only guess that you, actually, enjoyed watching your team get their b*lls handed to them by the one team that we, here in S.A., despise the most in this league, huh???
IMHO, the rest of this city actually had their t.v. sets changed by the end of the first half of those last games of the WCF!!!
I mean, this was the one series that we, SPUR FANS, had been waiting for ever since that "Silver Spoon in his mouth" coach, p.jackson, laid down the gauntlet, by claiming that our Championship should have an * by it!!!!And what happens???
That cba reject, pOop, fails to fire OUR SPURS up for the BIGGEST CHALLENGE of our history!!!!!As a matter of fact, he just didn't "fire" them up, he didn't, even have them properly prepared...They went into this series the way that little girl (Heather O'Rourke, I think) went into the closet, in that S.King movie, Poltergeist...under some sort of transe (that they just didn't have a chance)!!!
quote:
Originally posted by DizzG:
What the F***
how can you think AJ would not be a good assistant coach on the bench that Obviously has a good relationship with the players and has a excellent knowledge of the game of basketball and how the X's and O's....

Why would AJ becoming a coach cause you to give up tickets...

thats one of the most pitiful things i have heard...

I am starting to believe more and more that waht many people say outside of SA is true..there is not many "real" Spurs fans period..

Its pretty sick actually..when you look at how many other NBA teams have such great fans..

People in here B I T C H about everything...

Bob Hill, POP, AJ, DROB, tickets, The Dome, etc...

And this team was the best in the west besides the Lakers...

MANY teams were sitting at home while the Spurs were still playing...but people act like the Spurs didnt even make the playoffs and do better than every team except the lakers

Why even watch if you really seem to hate things as much as you post about?

Bulletfan
posted 06-19-2001 07:45 AM Staff Use Only:

AJ a coach....oh, da horra!

spursnerd
posted 06-19-2001 02:43 PM Staff Use Only:

Dizz, after the thrashing like the spurs got I wish they had been eliminated earlier in the playoffs. Can you imagine what that beating did to their psyches? You can say they were the second best in the West, but after that showing how can you blame spurs fans for being embarassed to call themselves such? Even if they didn't make the playoffs, I would support them if they gave 100% effort. But when they quit, I feel I have the right to bad mouth them. I may be critical, but you are intensely uncritical. I disagree with you about spurs fans. They are great and deserve better.

spur of the moment
posted 06-19-2001 06:27 PM Staff Use Only:

Hey Dizz I'm with you on this subject!

Hey Longhorn and spursnerd go find another

team! I think you guys need a tissue!

Nothing but crying!

Stand by your team and have belief!

Everything happens for a reason.

And theres no such thing as luck!

We shall overcome!

Good Post Dizzy!

The other girls , go pick another team we

don't need spurs fans like you wimps!

spursnerd
posted 06-19-2001 10:32 PM Staff Use Only:

And Smokie and the Bandit was the greatest movie ever made, hot damn!

Longhorn E
posted 06-20-2001 07:06 AM Staff Use Only:

It wasn't????
quote:
Originally posted by spursnerd:
And Smokie and the Bandit was the greatest movie ever made, hot damn!

[This message has been edited by Longhorn E (edited 06-20-2001).]

SPur FAn
posted 06-21-2001 03:49 PM Staff Use Only:

Coach AJ? Is this a joke??
Has anyone seen the Shaq commercial where he is dancing around in some ballet outfit? The point was just because your good at one thing doesnt mean your good at another. And to tell the truth Avery isnt even good at basketball.

Why would you want a point guard who picks up his dribble before 85% of his passes,can't defend, and has not developed a cosistant jumper in 13yrs to be a coach?

Its a terrible idea. Get a real coach or assistant, one that is qualified(or give a young guy a chance). Or maybe you liked the offense against the Lakers.

[This message has been edited by SPur FAn (edited 06-21-2001).]

blaze89
posted 06-21-2001 04:19 PM Staff Use Only:

quote:
Originally posted by SPur FAn:
Coach AJ? Is this a joke??
Has anyone seen the Shaq commercial where he is dancing around in some ballet outfit? The point was just because your good at one thing doesnt mean your good at another. And to tell the truth Avery isnt even good at basketball.

Why would you want a point guard who picks up his dribble before 85% of his passes,can't defend, and has not developed a cosistant jumper in 13yrs to be a coach?

Its a terrible idea. Get a real coach or assistant, one that is qualified(or give a young guy a chance). Or maybe you liked the offense against the Lakers.

[This message has been edited by SPur FAn (edited 06-21-2001).]

Well, I don't know if its a joke but if you think that is a bad idea what about players like Scott Skiles, Mike Dunleavy, Phil Jackson, K.C. Jones, Doc Rivers, Nate McMillian, John Lucas, George Karl; not all of them were great players but all have become head coaches with some degree of success, in fact more successful in coaching than in their playing days.

Also, not all great players make good head coaches in any sport such as Magic Johnson, its rare that you get a Larry Bird type of player/coach.

BlazerFan
posted 06-21-2001 06:18 PM Staff Use Only:

Avery Johnson has always perplexed me. He sucks, yet he was a starter for a long time, and he was a starter for a lot of good Spurs teams. I think he might actually make a good coach, because he obviously knows something about basketball other than how to play it, (at an NBA stater level).

DizzG
posted 06-21-2001 06:28 PM Staff Use Only:

quote:
Originally posted by blaze89:
Well, I don't know if its a joke but if you think that is a bad idea what about players like Scott Skiles, Mike Dunleavy, Phil Jackson, K.C. Jones, Doc Rivers, Nate McMillian, John Lucas, George Karl; not all of them were great players but all have become head coaches with some degree of success, in fact more successful in coaching than in their playing days.
Also, not all great players make good head coaches in any sport such as Magic Johnson, its rare that you get a Larry Bird type of player/coach.

Your ABSOLUTELY correct

More often then not...its the NBA players that turn Coaches who were not always the best players...there are exceptions--of course...

but

Despite how people feel about AJ on the court

OR his CURRENT level of play

He was a HUGE part of the Spurs winning the title in 99...he was great that year and in the playoffs...not so much in stats..but what he brought to the games

AJ is a LEADER...he has those abilities...

If you have heard him talk the game of b-ball...he knows the inside of the game...

I think he would make a good assistant to start out

He has the qualities to MOTIVATE players and help LEAD them...

Its not his skills that have been his strength and staying power in the NBA all these years for the most part..

Its been his Leadership, Work Ethic, and Motivating powers on and off the court

He can bring that to the bench I believe

Bulletfan
posted 06-21-2001 06:30 PM Staff Use Only:

posted by blaze89:
---------------------------------------
Scotty Skiles was better than AJ, Dunleavy had a nice shot, Nate was a hell of a defender and decent shot-maker, Doc Rivers and KC Jones were just flat out good, Phil won a stinkin' championship and actually contributed a good deal.
I'm with SPurFAn on this one...I think it would be a mistake for him to be coach. I personally don't want to see it. You are def right that not all great players make good coaches.

Carnac
posted 06-22-2001 01:35 AM Staff Use Only:

quote:
Originally posted by Longhorn E:
DizzG...You just don't get it, do you???
I can only guess that you, actually, enjoyed watching your team get their b*lls handed to them by the one team that we, here in S.A., despise the most in this league, huh???
IMHO, the rest of this city actually had their t.v. sets changed by the end of the first half of those last games of the WCF!!!
I mean, this was the one series that we, SPUR FANS, had been waiting for ever since that "Silver Spoon in his mouth" coach, p.jackson, laid down the gauntlet, by claiming that our Championship should have an * by it!!!!And what happens???
That cba reject, pOop, fails to fire OUR SPURS up for the BIGGEST CHALLENGE of our history!!!!!As a matter of fact, he just didn't "fire" them up, he didn't, even have them properly prepared...They went into this series the way that little girl (Heather O'Rourke, I think) went into the closet, in that S.King movie, Poltergeist...under some sort of transe (that they just didn't have a chance)!!!

Dizz, I hear ya. I've been saying that the Spurs have some of the stupidist, fairweather fans out there...
Many don't know how to be fans.

Longhorn, you say that Dizz must have enjoyed watching the Spurs get their b*lls handed to them...

The you threaten to not renew your season tickets because AJ might be on the bench.

That's absolutely sickening to hear.

I bet you weren't saying that after AJ hit the final jumper to win the title.

Fact is, all but one team got their b*lls handed to them this season except the Lakers.
So, should all other teams boycot their teams and b!tch?

I don't know why the hell I bother reading the sh!t in this room.

No one here understands basketball, they're just fairweather fans that don't really understand the NBA.

Just like a lot of Spurs fans.

afe7FATMAN
posted 06-22-2001 02:02 AM Staff Use Only:

Plays AJ learned from pop.
#1 Dribble ball up the court-pass to David

#2 Dribble ball up the court-pass to Tim

#3 Dribble ball up the court-fake pass to David or Tim and throw up a brick.

AJ on his own- dribble of my foot like in Utah.

Throw the ball wide to Sean than glare at him.

Longhorn E
posted 06-22-2001 07:05 AM Staff Use Only:

Don't forget the play...
Dribble ball up court, use up approximately
20 of the allotted 24 seconds of the shot-clock, then get the ball to either Malik, Samaki for a low % shot( usually so far away from the rim, they need binoculars to see how bad they missed), or he'll take that low % shot, himself...then he starts pointing fingers to distribute the blame to everyone else other than himself!!!!!!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by afe7FATMAN:
Plays AJ learned from pop.
#1 Dribble ball up the court-pass to David

#2 Dribble ball up the court-pass to Tim

#3 Dribble ball up the court-fake pass to David or Tim and throw up a brick.

AJ on his own- dribble of my foot like in Utah.

Throw the ball wide to Sean than glare at him.

rperezedco
posted 06-22-2001 09:26 AM Staff Use Only:

My guess is that all of you will be back when the ball is tipped for the first time. I agree that the Spurs performance against LA left left a lot to be desired. I've been so upset I hardly read the sports pages nor tune in to SportsCenter anymore.
My Maryland license plate reads SA SPURS and after the WCF I took a lot of ribbing from other drivers. Some said nothing but only smiled. It still happens. Around here no one likes anything Texan unless they're Texan themselves. Well, I now believe the ones who were more upset than anyone else were the Spurs themselves. And I can't wait to see how they play next year, what changes they'll make, who will move on and who will return. I know they have pride and will want to make amends with their fans. I can understand the strength in Kobe and in Shaq. But no way am I going to believe that the Lakers, as a team, are unbeatable. Each of the other three teams, with a better player here or there, a call in their favor,and regular play by the Lakers, would have meant a defeat for LA. We were the only team that was truly beaten. I lay a lot of that blame on the unemotional play of the Spurs. We were beaten when we lost that first game. We then lost our soul after the second defeat.

I'm sticking with the Spurs. Have, since Dallas let them go.

Ducks
posted 06-26-2001 03:21 PM Staff Use Only:

Lonhorn if you do not want your season tickets give them to me. I am a real fan not a bandwagoner fan like you.
SPURS WILL ROCK SHAQ NEXT YEAR

SPur FAn
posted 06-26-2001 07:02 PM Staff Use Only:

Really, after what you saw this year, what makes you think that the Spurs wont roll over again.
With the addition of AJ as coach the Spurs will probably sweep, right!

Ducks
posted 06-27-2001 01:36 PM Staff Use Only:

I think they will be a lot of soul searching and David and Tim will come back next year to have something to prove. THey will play better and we will get some help this offseason. I have faith in our gm. He may not be the greatest coach but he could use some help with the offensive assistant coaches. AJ would be better then what we have now!!!!!!!

SPur FAn
posted 06-27-2001 10:23 PM Staff Use Only:

There are a lot of career assistants that would be better than AJ.
Unfortunatly they will need more than soul searching to beat the Lakers.

Carnac
posted 06-28-2001 01:11 PM Staff Use Only:

Can any of you ignorameces tell me WTF playing ability has to do with coaching ability?
Did any of you all ask yourself that question?
It's so stupid. Because AJ is not a very good player means that he won't be a good coach? Repeat that to yourselves over and over again and then your head will explode.
That doesn't make sense. AJ is not a very good player. So, did he manage to keep a job all these years by being a dumb player? Or did he do it by knowing how to run a team?

Say what you will about AJ, but there's no question he's a good motivator and leader. He's a smart PG with a very good assist-turnover ratio.

Now, tell me again, fairweather bandwagoners fans, why won't AJ make a good coach?

Carnac
posted 06-28-2001 01:25 PM Staff Use Only:

quote:
Originally posted by Longhorn E:
...That cba reject, pOop...

Tell me when Popovich was involved with the CBA and how they rejected him.

Longhorn, you are a sick freak (please allow me to censor myself). Your team got embarrased by the Lakers.

So what do you do?

-- B!tch about the coaching. He's a CBA reject. Were you b!thcing about him in 1999?
-- B!tch that AJ might become a coach. He's a smart player, but you blame him for everything. You even probably blame him for the Spurs' meltdown against the Bullets in east finals in the early 80s.
-- Suggest a trade offering all the Spurs rejects, role players and second round draft picks for Shane Battier. It's a trade that all people who don't understand the game suggest. More players mean that a team can't possibly turn it down, right? Idiotic.

Longhorn, I understand you hate that the Spurs lost to the Lakers. Fine. But there can only be one champion, and right now, and for the next few years, LA will be the team the Spurs are chasing. They have Kobe&Shaq, while Robinson is getting up there in age.

My suggestion to you:

Don't renew your season tickets. The Spurs don't need idiot fans like you. Cheering when the beat the Nets and b!tching when they lose to the world champions. They don't need your fairweather boos raining down on them. They don't need to see you walking down the street with a 1999 title shirt, only to try and p!ss on the career of AJ, who allows you to wear that shirt. Pop doesn't need you approval. He's not going anywhere. He's made some great movesd and some bad ones. I tend to think his great moves outweigh his bad ones. He's won a title.

So do us a favor. Become a Lakers fan. Those trolls will be proud to have you as one of their own. Kobe&Shaq are in their prime. they will win a majority of the titles as long as Shaq is playing. You'll be safe with the Lakers. They don't have Jerry West anymore, but his protige, Mitch Kupchak should be pretty decent. They have a great coach in Phil Jackson.

In other words,
Do us a favor...Leave this chat zone and take your stupid, fairweather, bandwagon takes with you.

Bulletfan
posted 06-28-2001 01:36 PM Staff Use Only:

Longhorn can defend himself, Carnac, but I'll bet his passion leads him to jump out of his seat and make some freakin' noise. I have been to many, many games and I can't tell you how quiet it is in there once the second quarter begins.

I don't think AJ would make a good coach. Him yelling at someone when he can't make the play work is not the way to motivate a person, IMHO. He is a world champion and I respect that. I respect him as a good human. I just don't want to see him on the sideline.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LORD I hate people that keep bringing up the past :lol

http://web.archive.org/web/20010629022919/www.woai.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004135.html