PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone number weirdness

ShoogarBear
09-14-2006, 10:08 AM
So this guy has just moved into this area and gives me his cell phone number. I've called it a couple of times from my cell phone so I know it's correct.

Then I call it from my office number and get somebody's corporate voice mail. I repeat it again, making sure I have the number right and it's the same thing.

Turns out I have to dial 1-240-XXX-XXXX from a regular phone to get his cell phone. Without the "1", it's somebody else's number.

Bizarre. Anyone else heard of this?

CuckingFunt
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
So this guy has just moved into this area and gives me his cell phone number. I've called it a couple of times from my cell phone so I know it's correct.

Then I call it from my office number and get somebody's corporate voice mail. I repeat it again, making sure I have the number right and it's the same thing.

Turns out I have to dial 1-240-XXX-XXXX from a regular phone to get his cell phone. Without the "1", it's somebody else's number.

Bizarre. Anyone else heard of this?
I've had people give me cell phone numbers at work who have service/phones that require you to dial the area code even if it's a local call.

ShoogarBear
09-14-2006, 10:17 AM
In the DC area you always have to dial the area code (because there are 4 local ones). Sometimes you have to dial 1+ the area code, or you get the "your call cannot be completed as dialed" message. But I've never seen an instance where using 1+ gets you one number, and not using it gets you another.

2Blonde
09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
In the DC area you always have to dial the area code (because there are 4 local ones). Sometimes you have to dial 1+ the area code, or you get the "your call cannot be completed as dialed" message. But I've never seen an instance where using 1+ gets you one number, and not using it gets you another.
We have the same thing here because of the metro numbers that some people have. But I too have never heard of getting a completely different person when dialing it without the 1.

DannyT
09-15-2006, 01:04 AM
in killeen temple copperas cove area all numbers are 254....my verizon phone i got in
san antonio and had them program for killeen area ended up actually being a temple number and no one from fort hood was able to call because it was considered long distance some how....even though it consisted of the ssam area code 254....so i dont know this could be why.....you would think they would be a little more on point with it but i dont know.....i thought it was pretty fuckin lame.....