PDA

View Full Version : Tower of the Americas

Mixability
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
How's the restaurant? How's the rest?

I'm sad to say that in my 26 years on this earth and in San Antonio, I've NEVER been in the Tower, yeah shoot me.

I'm planning on taking my girlfriend sometime, but I just wanted to know whether I should be prepared for crappy food or good food?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
How's the restaurant? How's the rest?

I'm sad to say that in my 26 years on this earth and in San Antonio, I've NEVER been in the Tower, yeah shoot me.

I'm planning on taking my girlfriend sometime, but I just wanted to know whether I should be prepared for crappy food or good food?

I think it was the company that owns Landry's that took over the restaurant, so that's a start. I can't say I've been there with the new ownership.

I had only been there once - and that was when I was working as an intern at KENS - until I took this girl downtown on a first date about four years back (before Gina) and we went to the Tower. She had only been in SA for about a year, so she enjoyed it, even though it was mainly just a lounge to sit at and talk.

Anyway, that's a long-ass answer to a question you didn't ask. :lol

Seriously, though, I think if you dig the Landry's places, you'll probably like The Tower.

ZStomp
09-14-2006, 10:37 AM
There is also a 4D theatre ride now.

it's all right. a nice relaxing evening.

Mixability
09-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I think it was the company that owns Landry's that took over the restaurant, so that's a start. I can't say I've been there with the new ownership.

I had only been there once - and that was when I was working as an intern at KENS - until I took this girl downtown on a first date about four years back (before Gina) and we went to the Tower. She had only been in SA for about a year, so she enjoyed it, even though it was mainly just a lounge to sit at and talk.

Anyway, that's a long-ass answer to a question you didn't ask. :lol

Seriously, though, I think if you dig the Landry's places, you'll probably like The Tower.

Never been to Landry's either, all I knew about that place when I was young was that it was the bar place next to the original Spurs shop at the Hemisfair. Ah, the good ol' days. :depressed

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Never been to Landry's either, all I knew about that place when I was young was that it was the bar place next to the original Spurs shop at the Hemisfair. Ah, the good ol' days. :depressed

You know, neither have I.

Gina kinda liked the Rainforest Cafe, but she had been to the one at Disneyland and then she took her niece to the one here. Not bad on quality, but it was Landry's pricey.

MannyIsGod
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
They fucked it up. The new glass up there sucks ass. I don't know how the new restraunt is, but the EN review sucked ass.

j-6
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Landry's did buy the tower and it's restaurant "Eyes Over Texas", and finished a million dollar renovation about this time last year. The menu is similar to a Landry's Seafood House but more upscale - featuring Aussie lobster tails, chops, and more steak options.

j-6
09-14-2006, 10:46 AM
You know, neither have I.

Gina kinda liked the Rainforest Cafe, but she had been to the one at Disneyland and then she took her niece to the one here. Not bad on quality, but it was Landry's pricey.

Landry's bought them in '02.

Mixability
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
What's "Landry's pricey"?

CubanMustGo
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
The menu is limited (http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/pdf/DinnerMenu.pdf) and pricey. They used to have the prices posted on the website but they came off very quickly after opening.

You're going for the experience of eating in a dining room that is rotating 600' over the city of SA ... so you are going to pay for it.

Mixability
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
The menu is limited (http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/pdf/DinnerMenu.pdf) and pricey. They used to have the prices posted on the website but they came off very quickly after opening.

You're going for the experience of eating in a dining room that is rotating 600' over the city of SA ... so you are going to pay for it.

I'm expecting it to be kinda pricey for the atmosphere, but I just want to be prepared if I have to pay for a Fuddruckers and get a Jumbo Jack.

withcheese
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
There is also a 4D theatre ride now.

it's all right. a nice relaxing evening.

what the fuck is a 4d theatre ride? how is it any different than a 3d theatre ride?

CubanMustGo
09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm expecting it to be kinda pricey for the atmosphere, but I just want to be prepared if I have to pay for a Fuddruckers and get a Jumbo Jack.

According to Tripadvisor.com reviews (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60956-d484824-Reviews-Eyes_Over_Texas-San_Antonio_Texas.html) the price range is $41-$80.

dirk4mvp.
09-14-2006, 11:34 AM
have fun eating your over priced Jims food while you look down at the poverty of the east side and the unfinished housing projects. But it's not all bad, you get to think about that long ride down on that rickity elevator with those rusty cables from 1968.
have fun! :lmao

Hooters Girl
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Make sure you take lots of pictures so Buddy Holly will have something to masterbate too. :lol

angel_luv
09-14-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a friend who works there. He says it is really nice- that Landry's did a great job with the place and food.
You should check it out. :)

Mixability
09-14-2006, 11:42 AM
have fun eating your over priced Jims food while you look down at the poverty of the east side and the unfinished housing projects. But it's not all bad, you get to think about that long ride down on that rickity elevator with those rusty cables from 1968.
have fun! :lmao

Yeah, thanks. :rolleyes

Silver21_Black20
09-14-2006, 11:44 AM

Ditto.

I'd like to go sometime soon.

samikeyp
09-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I guess Dirk missed the whole "bought by Landry's" part of the thread. :)

Mixability
09-14-2006, 11:52 AM
I guess Dirk missed the whole "bought by Landry's" part of the thread. :)

I'm surprised a foul wasn't called on Bowen for Dirk missing a post.

Mixability
09-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Ditto.

I'd like to go sometime soon.

damn, batmans a cheap mofo, huh?

Silver21_Black20
09-14-2006, 01:11 PM
damn, batmans a cheap mofo, huh?

:lol

He has no time. He is always at the clubs and drinking Patron.

midgetonadonkey
09-14-2006, 01:11 PM
How much do they charge to get up there?

Mixability
09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
:lol

He has no time. He is always at the clubs and drinking Patron.

No time and no money, because of the club. :lol

Silver21_Black20
09-14-2006, 01:20 PM
How much do they charge to get up there?

I think it is $6 to go up to the Observation Deck.

Which is all I'd want to do. I could find a better restaurant to go to with a more reasonably priced menu.

whottt
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I ate there quite a bit when I was a kid in the 70's, and a couple of times in the 90's...the food completely sucked in the 90's.

Hopefully the purchase by Landry's has improved the quality of the food if nothing else....

I have always enjoyed going up in the tower, but I wouldn't pay to eat there unless I hear really good reviews on the food...because, based on the last time I ate there(around 96), well there are just too many way better(and cheaper) restaurants in San Antonio to pay 30 bucks for that kind of food....it was like microwave food.

dirk4mvp.
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, thanks. :rolleyes

Only little girls roll thier eyes.
Did you not ask this?

How's the restaurant?

As an American am I not allowed to answer your question? You should have said you only wanted to hear good things. And you should have made a list of which posters can reply.

I used to work at the tower and I was giving you a heads up. I had no idea your simple minded tree hugging feelings would get hurt in the process, So with that said, I am sorry.

as for the Jims food reference? I was being sarcastic, something many of you seem to be when the mood strikes you.

Mixability
09-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Only little girls roll thier eyes.
Did you not ask this?

As an American am I not allowed to answer your question? You should have said you only wanted to hear good things. And you should have made a list of which posters can reply.

I used to work at the tower and I was giving you a heads up. I had no idea your simple minded tree hugging feelings would get hurt in the process, So with that said, I am sorry.

as for the Jims food reference? I was being sarcastic, something many of you seem to be when the mood strikes you.

Have you worked there SINCE the upgrade?

dirk4mvp.
09-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Have you worked there SINCE the upgrade?

That is a dam good question. Since I left? There has been some changes.
they have removed the low income housing projects now it's just a slab :lmao

Do me a favor and try and take some pictures. Or give us some updates, I hate when folks make these topics and never get back to us on what they did,

Have fun and lock your doors after you park. :smokin

Mixability
09-14-2006, 04:08 PM
That is a dam good question. Since I left? There has been some changes.
they have removed the low income housing projects now it's just a slab :lmao

Do me a favor and try and take some pictures. Or give us some updates, I hate when folks make these topics and never get back to us on what they did,

Have fun and lock your doors after you park. :smokin

How long has it been since you worked there?

bendmz
09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
in 1968 a Roast Beef sandwich was $5.95. took my girl and ate for less than 15 bucks. elevator got stuck. sat there for 3 hours.
i hear the new place is really bad. so eat before you go and shoot up to the observation deck. :drunk

samikeyp
09-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Until Landry's took over...Dirk was right, it was an overpriced Jim's.