PDA

View Full Version : Hunter No-Billed For Shooting Illegal Immigrant

09-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Story Link (http://www.ksat.com/news/9847608/detail.html)

I can't believe that they settled out of court to these folks. I would have figured that they could have fought the claim on an "assumption of risk" standpoint.

Phenomanul
09-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Story Link (http://www.ksat.com/news/9847608/detail.html)

I can't believe that they settled out of court to these folks. I would have figured that they could have fought the claim on an "assumption of risk" standpoint.

Maybe just out of compassion.

Seemed like an honest mistake to me. Especially when it was Eduardo who drove Lopez to the hospital for medical attention.

09-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Maybe just out of compassion.

Seemed like an honest mistake to me. Especially when it was Eduardo who drove Lopez to the hospital for medical attention.

Good point.

valluco
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Not the first time that something like this has happened.

Back in the 80's, someone "accidently" shot an illegal dead in Starr County. Some say the shooter shot the guy while he was swimming across the Rio Grande. Not a whole lot of noise was made about it. Now, with the immigration issue we have today me thinks this story is going to get more coverage.

greywheel
09-14-2006, 12:25 PM
The case was settled out of court in November for $50,000. The settlement included legal costs for Lopez's widow and $1,800 for each of his five children. The children's money was put into U.S. savings accounts under their names, according to court records.

I don't think Lopez's kids are going to be eager to come to the US to claim their money. :angel

Oh, Gee!!
09-14-2006, 01:44 PM

MaNuMaNiAc
09-14-2006, 02:59 PM
If I read correctly, this happened inside the guys ranch. If this is true then what the hell were illegals doing trespassing on private property? Furthermore, the guy has every right to assume the only things roaming around in HIS PROPERTY are hogs and such, and therefore its perfectly understandable he could have made such a mistake. Plus the guy drove them to the hospital. Sounds like a legitimate accident to me, dude shouldn't even have been made to pay.