PDA

View Full Version : I need a job

Leetonidas
09-14-2006, 11:01 PM
I've applied at at least 15 places and no dice...any got a hook-up for a 16 year old who is eager to work with no experience?

Fillmoe
09-14-2006, 11:02 PM
you could rake the leaves on my lawn for 10 bucks.....

Eminem
09-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Start rappin'

Leetonidas
09-14-2006, 11:03 PM
I need a job foo, not some petty ass 10 year old shit.

Fillmoe
09-14-2006, 11:04 PM
you could help your uncle juan smuggle immigrants across the border

dirk4mvp
Sonic seems to run by teens nowadays. :tu

angel_luv
Try HEB. I have heard they treat their staff really well.

It might help people make suggestions if they knew what your area of job interest is.

dirk4mvp
09-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Try HEB. I have heard they treat their staff really well.

It might help people make suggestions if they knew what your area of job interest is.

If he's a regular 16 year old kid, he probably doensn't care as long as he's getting a little change.

Das Texan
09-14-2006, 11:15 PM
my first job was picking up trash at fiesta texas back when usaa still owned that joint.

Leetonidas
09-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Tried H-E-B, tried Sonic.

angel_luv
09-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Well if you are going to work, you might as well try to gain experience you can use in job searches later on.

Of course I realize that starting off, being career specific isn't always plausible. It's just something to think about.

16 is not far from 18 and 23 when job choices really begin to matter.
I wish I had been more decisive and focused early on.

ATX Spur
09-14-2006, 11:19 PM
You gotta follow up with it. Go back to your favorite places that you applied and ask to speak to a manager. If they're not there, ask when you can come back. If they are there, ask them if you can schedule a time to sit down with them for an interview.

Seriously, determination sets you apart from just the average teenager your employer thinks is just going to sit on his/her ass.

ashbeeigh
09-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Could you maybe find an office to work as a bookkeeper or something more professional (if that's where you're headed)after school? That gives you great experience as well as more reliable contacts/references for the future.

leemajors
09-14-2006, 11:30 PM
movie theater is a decent high school job. cast around, see if any of your friends or your parents work somewhere or know someone who could get you hired on somewhere, that's usually your best bet. it always helps to know someone or be recommended.

phyzik
09-14-2006, 11:37 PM
I know a few market managers at differenet Wal-marts (no I dont work for that evil, evil company). One of them, my best friend, is looking for people in the deli at the Vance Jackson/IH-10 location I think. If you want to learn a trade, he is the guy to go to. One of the best meat cutters in San Antonio if not the State, and Im not exaggerating at all (too bad Wal-Mart doesnt cut their own meat). If your interested PM me your name and I will let him know, if he can find you something I will PM you back.

Im not gonna lie, its tough work, but they screw around on the job when they have the time (which is alot, you bust your ass early and slack off the rest of the day)....

Either way, I know more people then just him at Wal-Mart and various other locations, PM me your info and I'll drop your name. Too bad your not 18 and a hot chick, Id get you in at my friends bar next to Alamo Drafthouse :lol

Spurschick? :drunk

AlamoSpursFan
09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
You gotta follow up with it. Go back to your favorite places that you applied and ask to speak to a manager. If they're not there, ask when you can come back. If they are there, ask them if you can schedule a time to sit down with them for an interview.

Seriously, determination sets you apart from just the average teenager your employer thinks is just going to sit on his/her ass.

That's the advice you're looking for.

Follow it, young man.

T Park
09-14-2006, 11:41 PM
if youve got a car, ask LIttle Ceasers.

They are constantly looking for delivery people.

ATX Spur
09-14-2006, 11:47 PM
That's the advice you're looking for.

Follow it, young man.

Please do. Think about how many applications these places get. Think about how much more (however subconsciously or not) these managers would rather hire someone who is 21 or 22 rather than someone who's 16. They can't tell how much you want the job from an application with a blank work history. You have to tell them personally.

phyzik
09-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Please do. Think about how many applications these places get. Think about how much more (however subconsciously or not) these managers would rather hire someone who is 21 or 22 rather than someone who's 16. They can't tell how much you want the job from an application with a blank work history. You have to tell them personally.

Great advice. :tu

I forget sometimes that most people lack the superior intellect that I have where I can mentally force someone to hire me...

JEDI MIND TRICK YO ASS

Leetonidas
09-15-2006, 12:00 AM
I know a few market managers at differenet Wal-marts (no I dont work for that evil, evil company). One of them, my best friend, is looking for people in the deli at the Vance Jackson/IH-10 location I think. If you want to learn a trade, he is the guy to go to. One of the best meat cutters in San Antonio if not the State, and Im not exaggerating at all (too bad Wal-Mart doesnt cut their own meat). If your interested PM me your name and I will let him know, if he can find you something I will PM you back.

Im not gonna lie, its tough work, but they screw around on the job when they have the time (which is alot, you bust your ass early and slack off the rest of the day)....

Either way, I know more people then just him at Wal-Mart and various other locations, PM me your info and I'll drop your name. Too bad your not 18 and a hot chick, Id get you in at my friends bar next to Alamo Drafthouse :lol

Spurschick? :drunk

That would be cool but I live way too far. I live near Culebra road in the Ingram Park mall area. What various locations you got?

Fillmoe
09-15-2006, 12:01 AM
okay my final offer..... you can cut my grass, wash my car, clean up my garage for 50 bucks...... and i will even throw in a bottle of clearasil.....

Fillmoe
09-15-2006, 12:06 AM
if worse comes to worse you can be CFs pimp.... shes always looking for a new one

Leetonidas
09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Not funny. :td

phyzik
09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
That would be cool but I live way too far. I live near Culebra road in the Ingram Park mall area. What various locations you got?

The closest one I can think of that I know someone at is near 151 and 410. thats pretty damn close to you.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=8923+West+military+dr&city=San+Antonio&state=Tx&zipcode=

Leetonidas
09-15-2006, 12:16 AM
The closest one I can think of that I know someone at is near 151 and 410. thats pretty damn close to you.

What job?

phyzik
09-15-2006, 12:23 AM
What job?

again, Id have to ask, PM me so I dont forget, I will call the guy I know there tomorrow and see what he knows. I must get some sleep now, my mental functions are being severely affected by the alchoholic beverages I have consumbed and my typing ability is inhibited. :drunk

AlamoSpursFan
09-15-2006, 12:33 AM

Plus, it impresses them that you follow up on things and it makes them think you actually want to work for them and aren't just filling in applications to satisfy unemployment requirements.

Fillmoe
09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
okay let me be real for a minute.....

the secret to nailing any job is confidence..... just walk in with swagger and confidence.... answer all the dudes questions and i guarantee you gonna get the job....

TDMVPDPOY
09-15-2006, 01:06 AM
hey man, ive tried applyin for alot of accounting jobs, still gettin rejected here....stupid shit they want ppl with exp, htf can grads get exp when they dont even have the opportunity.....this is lame, i mite change my career path and labour work where fuckn bricklayers get paid 80k a year if ur a hardworker.....

dirk4mvp.
09-15-2006, 06:26 AM

I bet you know most of them on a first name basis. You always brag how you own your own business, why not prove it and hire him? Or do you have to ask your daddy first?

And while your at it? take some of that money you have to buy your own softball team and buy Mikeyp's bookshelf. Mr. I will not post here anymore.

Steve Perry
09-15-2006, 06:43 AM
.any got a hook-up for a 16 year old with no experience?

I wish you would have said you was only 16 in your "help me with my PC" topic.

Leetonidas
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I wish you would have said you was only 16 in your "help me with my PC" topic.

Huh?

ALVAREZ6
09-15-2006, 06:13 PM
I've applied at at least 15 places and no dice...any got a hook-up for a 16 year old who is eager to work with no experience?
Damn, 15 places???

I had no experience before my current job and I was hired on my first try.

Sucks for you.

Duff McCartney
09-15-2006, 07:01 PM

I didn't even know Little Caesars still delivered. I thought it was all pick up now.

phyzik
09-15-2006, 10:54 PM
I just have to say... what I have asked for may have come across to some people as a predator... thats not the case at all... look man, I'll talk to the guy I know and post the positions open, if at that point you are interested all I need is a first name so they at least know who's coming... If I can find something definate I wont even ask for your name, I will give you the persons name to ask for when you go. Honestly, Im just trying to help... give me the weekend.

j-6
09-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Go find a gig as a barback or a busboy - hell, even a dishwasher. When you go off to college (and leave town, grasshopper) you'll be tending bar by age twenty due to your experience. Then you'll have more tail than you'll know to do with.

Not only will you be making more money than your HS friends, you'll be making a hefty investment in your penis come college time, and he'll thank you for it later.

Leetonidas
09-16-2006, 12:00 PM
I just have to say... what I have asked for may have come across to some people as a predator... thats not the case at all... look man, I'll talk to the guy I know and post the positions open, if at that point you are interested all I need is a first name so they at least know who's coming... If I can find something definate I wont even ask for your name, I will give you the persons name to ask for when you go. Honestly, Im just trying to help... give me the weekend.

Well I don't care much about giving out my first name (Jonathan) so if you need it go right ahead. And thanks. :spin

spurs=bling
09-16-2006, 05:45 PM
15 places and nobody hired you? that sucks, i hope you find a job soon.

NorCal510
09-16-2006, 06:57 PM
you could help your uncle juan smuggle immigrants across the border
:lmao

hey essay your too dumb to get a job

ashbeeigh
09-16-2006, 07:05 PM

Depending on the area, it can happen (the applying for 15 jobs and not getting one). I don't know what it's like where he is *exactly* but if you aren't familiar with specific areas the volumn of applicants, whether qualified, young, old, or inexperienced, usually far exceed the number of jobs that are available. Before you go saying that stuff check your knowledge of the demographics.

Leetonidas
09-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Well, NorCal's dumb wigger ass got owned.

gospursgojas
09-17-2006, 04:25 AM
15 places?!?!?!?

Do you write in crayon on your applications?

Seriously though, make your application look nice and like you know WTF you are talking about. Being a manager of a resturant, I've seen some fucked up apps. Put starting wage in the desired wage spot, not what you really want. Bc you're gonna get the starting wage anyway. And also when it asks for your availability put what you are really available, which for a 16 year old kid is anytime you're not in school.

Try McAlisters Deli on 410 and 151 in the Westover Marketplace. They start their employees out at a reasonable wage. They are always hiring. I know b/c I work at another Mcalisters

NorCal510
09-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Well, NorCal's dumb wigger ass got owned.
no, actually you can get a job around here at 15.

but im saying your dumb essay wont get one at all

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
no, actually you can get a job around here at 15.

Are you talking $15/hour? Because if you are, you should also take into account the cost of living. While the job in San Angelo didn't offer a ton of money per se, the cost of living in San Angelo is probably the lowest I've ever lived at.

What went a long way in San Angelo wouldn't have gone as far in San Antonio and especially California.

Just a side note, though, some of the newspapers in California (at least the ones I see on J-Jobs), pay very poorly. The starting salaries range from $10-14K less than the national average for starting journos.

NorCal510
09-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Are you talking $15/hour? Because if you are, you should also take into account the cost of living. While the job in San Angelo didn't offer a ton of money per se, the cost of living in San Angelo is probably the lowest I've ever lived at.

What went a long way in San Angelo wouldn't have gone as far in San Antonio and especially California.

Just a side note, though, some of the newspapers in California (at least the ones I see on J-Jobs), pay very poorly. The starting salaries range from $10-14K less than the national average for starting journos.
no age 15

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-17-2006, 11:11 AM
no age 15

Ah. My bad.

I remember when I was getting into the workforce (a decade ago). At that time, you had to have some kind of state identification card to work at that age, and right as I got it, they killed the necessity.

ashbeeigh
09-17-2006, 11:16 AM
I remember when I was getting into the workforce (a decade ago). At that time, you had to have some kind of state identification card to work at that age, and right as I got it, they killed the necessity.

I'm pretty sure, if I remember correctly, from this summer and applying for jobs myself, you have to be 16 to be able to get a decent job. There's some like bussers, that has been suggested, that you can be 15. But that's my memory and don't sue me if I'm wrong, anyone.

1Parker1
09-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Ah. My bad.

:lol I remember that! It was a hassle having to go to the state building where I could get that...seeing as how I wasn't even driving then. They did away with that? I hadn't even realized....

Leetonidas
09-17-2006, 12:47 PM
15 places?!?!?!?

Do you write in crayon on your applications?

Seriously though, make your application look nice and like you know WTF you are talking about. Being a manager of a resturant, I've seen some fucked up apps. Put starting wage in the desired wage spot, not what you really want. Bc you're gonna get the starting wage anyway. And also when it asks for your availability put what you are really available, which for a 16 year old kid is anytime you're not in school.

Try McAlisters Deli on 410 and 151 in the Westover Marketplace. They start their employees out at a reasonable wage. They are always hiring. I know b/c I work at another Mcalisters

I know how to fill out a god damn application dude.

gospursgojas
09-18-2006, 05:30 PM
I know how to fill out a god damn application dude.

Damn I took my time to follow up on this thread to see if I was any help.

Fuck, with an attitude like that, no wonder nobody hires you.

You're destined for Burger King kitchen staff making 5.15

Good luck

Leetonidas
09-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Damn I took my time to follow up on this thread to see if I was any help.

Fuck, with an attitude like that, no wonder nobody hires you.

You're destined for Burger King kitchen staff making 5.15

Good luck

Help? You asked me if I write like shit on an application. I always put starting wage, give them my hours, and write neatly. That was seriously nothing new.

But I got hired today at Happy Guy so I guess I got a job.

katyon6th
09-18-2006, 08:53 PM
But I got hired today at Happy Guy so I guess I got a job.

You guess? Does that mean you're contemplating not accepting said job?

Zombie
09-18-2006, 08:58 PM
My 16 year old has a lead on a roofing job, you interested?

He came home from school today saying he might have a job with a roofing company. I damn near choked from laughing at him so hard. He has never had a job and takes a nap when he gets home from school. I told him he would last 20 minutes on a job like that.
I did tell him if he wanted to try it on the weekends go ahead. :lol

phyzik
09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
My friend says he doesnt need anyone in his department at the Walmart at 151 and heard there is a hiring freeze in the store... it still wouldnt hurt to apply just so they have you on file...

I did find out though that at Party City near the dollar theatres is definately hiring for part time, with fulltime probably available due to the upcoming holidays.

Sorry it took so long to get back.

Sense
09-18-2006, 09:15 PM
You have to go back to where you applied and ask if you can talk to the manager, ask him if there's any room for you..

keep calling everyday and they will notice you really want the job, and they'll give it to you.

You don't just apply and thats it...

Unless they are desperate for 16 year olds with attitude known to quit a job in the first 2 months.

Sense
09-18-2006, 09:16 PM
You know essay.. you're being an asshole to some of these people that are trying to help you out.. you might aswell be more thankful for the research they are doing for your stupid 16 year old ass..

Show some respect for the people that care here.

phyzik
09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
My 16 year old has a lead on a roofing job, you interested?

He came home from school today saying he might have a job with a roofing company. I damn near choked from laughing at him so hard. He has never had a job and takes a nap when he gets home from school. I told him he would last 20 minutes on a job like that.
I did tell him if he wanted to try it on the weekends go ahead. :lol

Screw that! I would have kept a straight face and said "good for you".... save the laughing and "I told you so's" for when he cries about it.... then tell him "ya, its no so easy doing the actual work for the stuff you want, is it now?"

thats how my dad was with me :lol

ahhh.... the fond memories of youth. :spin

Leetonidas
09-18-2006, 09:39 PM
You know essay.. you're being an asshole to some of these people that are trying to help you out.. you might aswell be more thankful for the research they are doing for your stupid 16 year old ass..

Show some respect for the people that care here.

I haven't disrespected anyone, dumbass. I told one guy I already knew how to fill out applications. In fact, everything he said I should do, I've already done. So how am I being disrespectful exactly? Yeah, that's right, STFU.

Anyone, like I said. I got a job. phyzik, thanks for the help and research, but I literally asked if they were hiring and she just gave me my hours and told me what to do.

Zombie
09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Screw that! I would have kept a straight face and said "good for you".... save the laughing and "I told you so's" for when he cries about it.... then tell him "ya, its no so easy doing the actual work for the stuff you want, is it now?"

thats how my dad was with me :lol

ahhh.... the fond memories of youth. :spin
that was just way to hard to do. Come on first job doing roofing work. :lol
My first job was doing insulation work, it started off nice until we got an attic job in August. I got dehydrated and was close to going to the ER, i'd never do that to my kid. My parents had no idea of the shape I was in that day, i was to embarrased to bring it up. Thank god that was only a 2 day job and back to Pearl Brewery to insulate walls in a refrigerated room.

Sense
09-19-2006, 01:52 AM
I haven't disrespected anyone, dumbass. I told one guy I already knew how to fill out applications. In fact, everything he said I should do, I've already done. So how am I being disrespectful exactly? Yeah, that's right, STFU.

Anyone, like I said. I got a job. phyzik, thanks for the help and research, but I literally asked if they were hiring and she just gave me my hours and told me what to do.

maybe we should keep the thread going, I have a weird feeling that you're gonna end up quitting this one.

SpellCheckChic
09-19-2006, 02:01 AM

. . .you're too dumb . . .

gospursgojas
09-19-2006, 02:06 AM
maybe we should keep the thread going, I have a weird feeling that you're gonna end up quitting this one.

Chinesse managers are the hardest to work for.

And by the looks of it EssaySpur1001, can't handle peeps telling him what to do. Hell, he can't even tell the difference between someone helping him and someone talking shit.