PDA

View Full Version : Bush Agrees with Kerry and disses his own party.

JoeChalupa
10-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Bush Stance on Civil Unions Upsets Groups (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041026/ap_on_el_pr/bush_civil_unions_1)

October 26, 2004

By SCOTT LINDLAW, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Some conservative groups expressed dismay Tuesday over President Bush's tolerance of state-sanctioned civil unions between gay people — laws that would grant same-sex partners most or all the rights available to married couples.

"I don't think we should deny people rights to a civil union, a legal arrangement, if that's what a state chooses to do so," Bush said in an interview aired Tuesday on ABC. Bush acknowledged that his position put him at odds with the Republican platform, which opposes civil unions.

"I view the definition of marriage different from legal arrangements that enable people to have rights," said Bush, who has pressed for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. "States ought to be able to have the right to pass laws that enable people to be able to have rights like others."

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry backs civil unions for gay couples, too. He opposes gay marriage but also opposes the idea of a constitutional ban.

Some conservative organizations sharply disagreed with Bush and pressed him to seek a constitutional amendment that would ban both gay marriage and civil unions.

"Civil unions are a government endorsement of homosexuality," said Robert Knight, director of the Culture and Family Institute, an affiliate of Concerned Women For America. "But I don't think President Bush has thought about it in that way. He seems to be striving for neutrality while defending marriage itself."

Knight said "counterfeits" of marriage, such as civil unions, "hurt the real thing."

The head of another group, the Campaign for California Families, said it, too, wants a sweeping constitutional amendment that bars civil unions and same-sex marriage.

"Here's the truth, civil unions are homosexual marriage by another name," said Randy Thomasson, the group's executive director. "Civil unions rob marriage of its uniqueness and award homosexuals all the rights of marriage available under state law."

"Bush needs to understand what's going on and resist counterfeit marriages with all his might no matter what they're called," Thomasson said.

But Matt Daniel, the leader of a coalition that successfully pressed for legislation that would create the constitutional ban on gay marriage, said Bush had staked out just the right position.

A federal ban on gay marriage, not on civil unions, "is the way for America to resolve this in the fairest way, the best way," said Daniel, president of the Alliance for Marriage. "We do indeed support the president's position."

I'm on the same level as Kerry. I wonder if Dubya even knows that he just took John Kerry's stance on the issue of Civil Unions.... minus the change in the Constitution that he still wants regarding Marriage that is..

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 10:14 AM
He didn't just take that position, it's the one he's had for some time. If some of his supporters haven't realized that then they haven't been paying attention.

JoeChalupa
10-27-2004, 10:17 AM
I think Laura set him straight.

Spurminator
10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Can someone educate me on the legal difference between a Civil Union and a Marriage?

JoeChalupa
10-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Good question.

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 10:41 AM
It's all in the spelling, Spurm.

So can I ask my girlfriend if she would like to get unioned?

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 10:49 AM
If you're a man and you like dick in the ass or if you are a woman and you like burying your face in a nice muffpie then you will want a civil union.

If you're a man and you like muffpie or if you are a woman and you like smoking pole then you will want marriage.

If you're a man and you like dick in ass and muffpie or if you are a woman and you like the taste of muffpie and smoking pole, well, take your pick.

JoeChalupa
10-27-2004, 10:53 AM
What if you a woman who likes dick in the ass?
Or what if you are a man who likes to watch a woman burying her face in a nice muffpie?

I know men who like muffpie and women who like smoking pole and they don't want marriage but live like a civil union.

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 10:56 AM
If a woman likes dick in the ass then she probably likes smoking it too.

If you are a man who likes watching women eating muffpie then you probably like muffpie too.

If a man who likes muffpie or a woman who likes pole don't like marriage then a civil union doesn't exactly offer anything different.

CosmicCowboy
10-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Can someone educate me on the legal difference between a Civil Union and a Marriage?

I will try...

A Civil Union recognized at the Federal level would allow certain rights to not be abridged by the States...a partial list might be:

Ability to purchase property jointly as a single transaction instead of having to create a legal "partnership" to purchase property.

Ability to define a person as "family" from the standpoint of hospital policies on visitations rights even over the objection of "blood" family.

Simplify the ability to leave assets in wills to civil union partners limiting the ability of "blood" relatives to contest the wills...

It would not necessarily give "full" rights to same sex couples such as the ability to declare non-working partners as "dependents" for tax purposes or require employers to furnish equal spousal or dependent benefits to partners in "civil unions"...the exact details would obviously depend on the language and scope of the legislations...

JoeChalupa
10-27-2004, 11:01 AM
If a woman likes dick in the ass then she probably likes smoking it too.

If you are a man who likes watching women eating muffpie then you probably like muffpie too.

If a man who likes muffpie or a woman who likes pole don't like marriage then a civil union doesn't exactly offer anything different.

I concur. :)

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Damn, ya'll made me spit.

Which isn't something I'd typically do, seeing as I like *smoking pole* and all.

lmao @ this thread.

JoeChalupa
10-27-2004, 11:07 AM
:wow

Clandestino
10-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Marcus Bryant, the poet... LOL!

gophergeorge
10-27-2004, 11:16 AM
That was some funny shit.... :)

Yonivore
10-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Which isn't something I'd typically do, seeing as I like *smoking pole* and all.
What a coincidence! I like having my "pole" smoked. :smokin

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 12:47 PM
What if you a woman who likes dick in the ass?
Or what if you are a man who likes to watch a woman burying her face in a nice muffpie?

I know men who like muffpie and women who like smoking pole and they don't want marriage but live like a civil union.

If your a man who likes to watch a woman burying her face in a nice muffpie, you are considered normal. For me it's not really the lesbian aspect as it is there will be TWO women involved!

SW :oops

Shelly
10-27-2004, 12:52 PM
What if you're a chick with a strap on?? You know--chicks with dicks? Can a transvestite marry itself?

This is very confusing, Marcus.

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
No, must be real pole.

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 01:18 PM
:lmao :lol :lmao :rollin :lmao :lol :lmao :rollin :lol

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 01:19 PM
SW :oops

What? That's bad? :angel

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 01:27 PM
What? That's bad? :angel

Well I guess I have to change the format of my dream from where your running through the field of flowers in the white sun dress to where your running through the field behind the 7-11 hiking up your dress! :oops

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Why? You can't smoke pole in a field of flowers? :wtf

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 01:33 PM
You name the field and I'll bring the..........

flowers!

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 01:35 PM
I thought you were going to say you'd bring the Claritin. :lol

Shelly
10-27-2004, 01:37 PM
I thought you were going to say you'd bring the Claritin. :lol

In my case, you better bring the Claritin. :lol

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Is that a code word for something else? I hope?

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 01:38 PM
:lol

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Oh, uh, yeah that was a joke! Ha ha!

I'll bring my stamen, if you bring your pistil! And no that's not a PISTOL!

Hook Dem
10-27-2004, 01:49 PM
I will try...

A Civil Union recognized at the Federal level would allow certain rights to not be abridged by the States...a partial list might be:

Ability to purchase property jointly as a single transaction instead of having to create a legal "partnership" to purchase property.

Ability to define a person as "family" from the standpoint of hospital policies on visitations rights even over the objection of "blood" family.

Simplify the ability to leave assets in wills to civil union partners limiting the ability of "blood" relatives to contest the wills...

It would not necessarily give "full" rights to same sex couples such as the ability to declare non-working partners as "dependents" for tax purposes or require employers to furnish equal spousal or dependent benefits to partners in "civil unions"...the exact details would obviously depend on the language and scope of the legislations...
Thats about right Cowboy but the others were funny. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

CosmicCowboy
10-27-2004, 01:53 PM
hehehe

yeah I was writing that before they started the other stuff...then actually posted it in the middle...

I don't normally come off as the stiff humorless one but in this case I got blown out...and was more than willing to shut up and let it play out...it WAS funny as hell...

:lmao

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 01:55 PM
I'll bring my stamen, if you bring your pistil! And no that's not a PISTOL!

Sho' thang... :cooldevil

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000001FDM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Useruser666
10-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Sho' thang... :cooldevil

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000001FDM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You're bringing grease too? You must have heard the rumors about me!

SpursWoman
10-27-2004, 02:13 PM
:wow