PDA

View Full Version : Kahn: Top 10 NBA Point Guards (Parker #5)

DieMrBond
09-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Ranking the top NBA point guards
Mike Kahn / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 11 hours ago
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5941690

Until the 2005-06 NBA season, Magic Johnson was the only point guard in NBA history to win multiple Most Valuable Player awards.

Until 2005-06, the emergence of Amare Stoudemire appeared to be the reason the Phoenix Suns came out of nowhere to reach the Western Conference finals the year before.

But when the Suns repeated as conference finalists for the first time in franchise history last spring — without Stoudemire (sidelined for virtually the entire season from knee surgery) — we found out the basis for all of the above: Steve Nash.

And that's why the 32-year-old point guard unequivocally became recognized as the best point guard in the game as the Suns rolled and he was named MVP for the second consecutive year. Once again, previously unsung players emerged with career-best seasons — and the common denominator through it all was the mop-headed, full blast Nash. Sure, a lot of the credit has to go to coach Mike D'Antoni for carving out the freedom and the cast — but were it not for Nash, none of it would work.

Steve Nash isn't great just because of his own impressive stats. He makes players like Boris Diaw great, too. (Andrew D. Bernstein / Getty Images)

He is the prototype point guard, pushing the ball up the floor and doling out slick passes with either hand, or burying jumpers with unerring precision. All of that makes the choice of Nash an easy one as FOXSports.com begins it's six-part series on the best players in the NBA with the top-10 point guards.

"He does a great job of taking care of himself; that's the first thing," D'Antoni said. "We've asked an awful lot of him, to extend himself to win games because he had to do so much more offensively with Amare out. He never wore down. People thought he was worn down last year, and then he was just ridiculous in the playoffs. If he was worn out, that was a heck of a second wind."

Last season was a tougher call with Allen Iverson not only winning his fourth scoring title but also handing out a career-high 7.9 assists as he was moved back to point guard slot. So we went with Iverson.

This year was no contest because of not only Nash's 18.8 points and league-best 10.5 assists and .921 free throw percentage, but how this time around he lifted little known Boris Diaw into the league's Most Improved Player. Essentially, that's the definition of a great point guard.

It's the manner in which he plays the game, something that Jason Kidd still does at a high level, just not quite at the level he was in his 20s. So he has slipped in the rankings from top drawer down to seventh.

And even with some players not "pure point guards," young Chris Paul proved it is not an antiquated concept. The Wake Forest All-American walked in and won the Rookie of the Year honors as he nearly lifted a very poor New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets team into the playoffs.

Nonetheless, guys like Chauncey Billups and Gilbert Arenas actually learned how to become point guards around their extraordinary shooting ability. Young Tony Parker, with the extraordinary ability to get into the lane and score, continues to build on his ability to involve other people in the offense through his own creativity and unselfishness.

But some of that just can't be learned. With Nash, as with Magic Johnson, it is inherent. "That's why (Nash is) so much fun to watch," Johnson said. "He makes everybody better. That is what the point guard is supposed to do."

This is the first of a six-part series. Next week: shooting guards.

1. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns, 32, 6-3, 195

Nash averaged 18.8 points,10.5 assists, .77 steals and shot an incredible .921 from the free-throw line. And yet, the numbers just don't tell the story of how this guy raised his level of play to Hall of Fame-caliber after he turned 30. It just proves what happens when brains and talent meet.

2. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 76ers, 31, 6-0, 165

A.I. averaged 33.0 points, 7.4 assists, 1.94 steals and sank .814 of his free throws, again top notch numbers. But the Sixers failed to make the playoffs, and the concept of moving him away from the point guard spot seems inevitable again. It explains that just because a guy drives and dishes, it doesn't make him a point guard.

There's no denying A.I.'s talent. (Fernando Medina / Getty Images)

3. Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons, 29, 6-3, 202

Billups averaged 18.5 points, 8.6 assists (both career-highs), with .88 steals and .894 free throw shooting. More than anything, he's ice in the clutch. But Billups, seemingly like the rest of the Pistons, just wore down last season. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back, but he remains one of the most underrated players in the game.

4. Gilbert Arenas, Washington Wizards, 24, 6-4, 210

Arenas averaged 29.3 points, 6.1 assists, 2.01 steals and sank .820 of his free throws as he became an All-Star and was superb in the playoffs. Arenas is another pure scorer learning the craft of helping his teammates. The key to him is that he tries so hard and is so popular with his teammates; his ascension is inevitable among the elite.

5. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs, 24, 6-2, 180

Parker averaged a career-best 18.9 points, along with 5.8 assists, 1.0 steals and sank a less-than-ideal .707 of his free throws. People forget how young he is because he was a starter at 19, but the questions still remain why he hasn't been able to sustain top-drawer play in the postseason. Physically and mentally, he's still growing, so it appears to be just a matter of time.

6. Chris Paul, New Orleans/ Oklahoma City Hornets, 21, 6-0, 175

Paul came out of the blocks beyond what anyone thought, averaging 16.1 points, 5.1 assists, 2.24 steals and sank .847 of his free throws. More than anything else, his leadership and ability to help the Hornets win blew everybody away. A latter-day Phil Ford, his development and the improvement of the team transformed the Hornets from tragic to a feel-good story.

7. Jason Kidd, New Jersey Nets, 33, 6-4, 210

Jason Kidd isn't what he used to be, but he's still better than most point guards in the league. (Andy Lyons / Getty Images)

Kidd averaged 13.3 points, 8.4 assists, 1.88 steals and he made .795 of his free throws, as the Nets were incredibly erratic last season. In many ways, it was reflective of Kidd's fading scoring ability to keep defenses honest. Nonetheless, he's still an extraordinary playmaker, eminently capable of taking over the tempo of any game and plays tough defense.

8. Baron Davis, Golden State Warriors, 27, 6-3, 215

Davis averaged 17.9 points, 8.9 assists, 1.65 steals and made just .675, while essentially losing the elite status he had gained by the end of the 2004-05 season by raising the Warriors' level of play. His talent is without question, but a weight problem has made him injury-prone and his attitude is always in question. But with Don Nelson, he could be the second coming of Tim Hardaway.

9. Mike Bibby, Sacramento Kings, 28, 6-1, 190

Bibby averaged a career-best 21.1 points, but he lost nearly 1.5 assists to negate that with just 5.4 per contest, 1.0 steals and sank an impressive .849 from the free throw line. But he was all about streaks. He would have a string of 35-point plus games, then go 2-for-16 — particularly in the playoffs. Without the great passing big men of past teams, he's exposed as a limited point guard.

10. Sam Cassell, Los Angeles Clippers, 36, 6-3, 185

Cassell averaged 17.2 points, 6.3 assists, .80 assists and shot .840 from the free throw line. But more importantly, he led the woebegone Clippers to their best run in franchise history. His confidence raised the level of play for everybody in the organization; and regardless of how much fuel he has left in the tank, he earned his status and new contract.

Also receiving consideration were: Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks; Kirk Hinrich, Chicago Bulls; T.J. Ford, Toronto Raptors; Stephon Marbury, New York Knicks; Jamaal Tinsley, Indiana Pacers; Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets; Raymond Felton, Charlotte Bobcats.

Veteran NBA writer Mike Kahn is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-16-2006, 08:44 AM
My Top 10:
1 Steve Nash
2 Allen Iverson
3 Tony Parker
4 Jason Kidd
5 Chauncey Billups
6 Gilbert Arenas
7 Mike Bibby
8 Chris Paul
9 Sam Cassell
10 Stephon Marbury

Is Jason Terry even a PG? He plays like a SG.

Mr. Peabody
09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
My Top 10:
1 Steve Nash
2 Allen Iverson
3 Tony Parker
4 Jason Kidd
5 Chauncey Billups
6 Gilbert Arenas
7 Mike Bibby
8 Chris Paul
9 Sam Cassell
10 Stephon Marbury

I would take Billups, Arenas, or Kidd over Parker.

ShoogarBear
09-16-2006, 09:01 AM
So then I guess now it's official: Steve Nash >>>>> every other point guard except Magic.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao ROFLROFLROFLROFL

He's got to be the only MVP in history who made his former team better by leaving. And Dallas didn't get anything for him when he left and they STILL got better.

And you're nuts if you would take Arenas over Parker. The only thing Arenas cares about is his own stats.

NBA Junkie
09-16-2006, 09:21 AM
He's got to be the only MVP in history who made his former team better by leaving. And Dallas didn't get anything for him when he left and they STILL got better.

That's debatable. Dallas basically had the same regular season records when Nash was there. Nash did beat his former team in the second round in 2005 with a healthy Amare, and nearly did it again without Stoudemire in 2006.

Keep in mind that when Nash left, Josh Howard was just a rookie learning the pro game and Dirk was nowhere near the more aggressive player offensively he is now. Dallas was also fortunate enough to land Jason Terry as compensation after Nash left. Did I mention that Jerry Stackhouse wasn't around either in Nash' final season, but chemistry killers in Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker were?

He's also an MVP who made his new team better by arriving, MUCH BETTER. He's not the greatest point guard in league history after Magic. However, he is far and away, the best PG in the game right now.

1Parker1
09-16-2006, 10:37 AM
:lmao @ Gilbert Arenas being the fourth best PG in the league. Kahn is looking at stats and not the game. My Top PGs:

1) Nash
2) Billups
3) AI-My precious Sixers not making the playoffs pushed him down a notch
4) Parker
5) Chris Paul
6) Jason Kidd
7) Bibby
8) Arenas
9) Cassell
10) Jason Terry

1Parker1
09-16-2006, 10:39 AM
That's debatable. Dallas basically had the same regular season records when Nash was there. Nash did beat his former team in the second round in 2005 with a healthy Amare, and nearly did it again without Stoudemire in 2006.

Keep in mind that when Nash left, Josh Howard was just a rookie learning the pro game and Dirk was nowhere near the more aggressive player offensively he is now. Dallas was also fortunate enough to land Jason Terry as compensation after Nash left. Did I mention that Jerry Stackhouse wasn't around either in Nash' final season, but chemistry killers in Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker were?

He's also an MVP who made his new team better by arriving, MUCH BETTER. He's not the greatest point guard in league history after Magic. However, he is far and away, the best PG in the game right now.

I think Shoogar was debating Nash's place in the history of overall best PG's in the league, due to his twice back to back MVP's. Is Nash now the second best PG in the history of the league after Magic? What about Kidd...Stockton..etc? Right now, obviously, Nash is the best PG the league has got, that's pretty obvious. However, Kahn makes it seem like he's the best PG the league has seen since Magic, which is debatable.

Zunni
09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
AI and Arenas aren't PGs, and Paul is probably a better distributor than Parker. If Parker develops the consistant 3 pointer, he could move to the top of the list. Nash is nearing the end of his top flight stats. He'll drift downward over the next two years towards "Kidd land", still effective, but a couple of notches below stellar.
1. Nash
2. Billups
3. Paul
4. TP

1Parker1
09-16-2006, 10:58 AM
AI and Arenas aren't PGs, and Paul is probably a better distributor than Parker. If Parker develops the consistant 3 pointer, he could move to the top of the list. Nash is nearing the end of his top flight stats. He'll drift downward over the next two years towards "Kidd land", still effective, but a couple of notches below stellar.
1. Nash
2. Billups
3. Paul
4. TP

I can see where you're coming from. And while I agree that Paul is amazing and has a great potential to someday be #1 on this list...I just think it's too soon to place him at #3 after one season. We have yet to see how he does in the postseason or in big games. That's the only reason I was hesitant to put him so high on my list.

NBA Junkie
09-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Besides Nash and Kidd, many of these guys shouldn't even be classified as point guards. Combo guards is more like it. It's the new breed of players in the NBA that play the "PG" position.

NBA Junkie
09-16-2006, 11:17 AM
I think Shoogar was debating Nash's place in the history of overall best PG's in the league, due to his twice back to back MVP's. Is Nash now the second best PG in the history of the league after Magic? What about Kidd...Stockton..etc? Right now, obviously, Nash is the best PG the league has got, that's pretty obvious. However, Kahn makes it seem like he's the best PG the league has seen since Magic, which is debatable.

I was arguing the bear's assertion that Dallas is a much better team without Nash. And, that is debatable as per my reasons in my earlier post.

Zunni
09-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Besides Nash and Kidd, many of these guys shouldn't even be classified as point guards. Combo guards is more like it. It's the new breed of players in the NBA that play the "PG" position.
I acknowledge the premise, but AI and Arenas really don't play PG. They are pretty much stone cold scorers. The rest of the players look to either score or set up a play. AI and Arenas look to score first, second, and third.

samikeyp
09-16-2006, 11:31 AM
#5 is fair, IMO.

ShoogarBear
09-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Dallas with Nash doesn't make the Finals last year. They would have been the same, lame defenseless pushovers in the playoffs.

NBA Junkie
09-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Dallas with Nash doesn't make the Finals last year. They would have been the same, lame defenseless pushovers in the playoffs.

So what you're saying is that Avery Johnson would have had no influence on their style even if Nash was there?

Nash was also gone by the time Johnson took over as coach. I'll blame supersoft Don Nelson for the Mavs failures instead of Nash.

'Nuff said

LaMarcus Bryant
09-16-2006, 11:55 AM
It's so funny how EVERYONE admits the pistons just got worn out last season, when every piston fan on this board vehemently adhered to the old aphorism "our starters are only playing 3 more minutes per game than yours"

dorks

NBA Junkie
09-16-2006, 12:03 PM
It's so funny how EVERYONE admits the pistons just got worn out last season, when every piston fan on this board vehemently adhered to the old aphorism "our starters are only playing 3 more minutes per game than yours"

dorks

Nah... it's just easier for everyone to blame Flip Saunders because of his postseason failures. The lack of depth did have a lot to do with it, though. Quality depth was something the Pistons had an abundance of in 2004. They didn't have that in '06.

dirk4mvp
09-16-2006, 12:04 PM
My Top 10:
1 Steve Nash
2 Allen Iverson
3 Tony Parker
4 Jason Kidd
5 Chauncey Billups
6 Gilbert Arenas
7 Mike Bibby
8 Chris Paul
9 Sam Cassell
10 Stephon Marbury

So does Gilbert, AI, and Marbury.

mavs>spurs2
09-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Stephon Marbury and Sam Cassel over Jason Terry? :lmao This guy is an idiot, he even puts Gilbert Arenas at #4 over Chris Paul, Bibby, and others.

Louis
09-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Parker on top of Jason Kidd??

No way Jose..

Parker shouldn't even be ranked top 10

Louis
09-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Stephon Marbury and Sam Cassel over Jason Terry? :lmao This guy is an idiot, he even puts Gilbert Arenas at #4 over Chris Paul, Bibby, and others.

The list is all fucked up!

ChumpDumper
09-17-2006, 01:31 PM
The list is pretty accurate in that there are no Rockets on it.

DumpedChump
09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm whottt's owner!

Louis
09-18-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm whottt's owner!

:lol

jacobdrj
09-18-2006, 01:06 AM
This list is so freggin off the wall...

Gilbert Arenas?
Allen Iverson?
Parker over Kidd?
Billups higher than 3?

Sry, this list is bogus.

MajorMike
09-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Kidd hasn't been the same last couple years. He is the best pure PG today, but he just hasn't played that well lately.
Arenas, Starbury, AI, Bibby - all these guys are #1 options, if not flat out SG. Not saying that a PG can't be your best player, but a true PG makes everyone else on the floor better. That something these 4 people do NOT do.
I do not agree that Nash is one of the best PG of all time. I do not agree that he should be a 2-time MVP. The fact remains, however, that he is the best floor general out there today.
Billups has had the luxury of the most loaded team in the NBA past few years. Doesn't take away from his ability, but is a much safer bet to play well in that sort of situation.
Paul was amazing last year - but it is still just one year. Let's see if he can do it again.
TP is a great floor leader, but again, he had one amazing stat year. Let's see if he can put up those #s again.

1. Nash
2. Kidd
3. Billups
4. TP
5. Paul

The rest I count as SGs, and I don't count the alien, I mean Cassell.

mavsfan1000
09-18-2006, 11:06 AM
This list sucks? Iverson at number 2? Arenas at 4? Bibby at 9? :lmao

bdictjames
09-18-2006, 12:03 PM
When it comes to the playoffs, Parker shouldn't even be ranked top 10. He's no good at the Spurs-Mavs series last year. Isnt AI an SG?

jacobdrj
09-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Kidd hasn't been the same last couple years. He is the best pure PG today, but he just hasn't played that well lately.
Arenas, Starbury, AI, Bibby - all these guys are #1 options, if not flat out SG. Not saying that a PG can't be your best player, but a true PG makes everyone else on the floor better. That something these 4 people do NOT do.
I do not agree that Nash is one of the best PG of all time. I do not agree that he should be a 2-time MVP. The fact remains, however, that he is the best floor general out there today.
Billups has had the luxury of the most loaded team in the NBA past few years. Doesn't take away from his ability, but is a much safer bet to play well in that sort of situation.
Paul was amazing last year - but it is still just one year. Let's see if he can do it again.
TP is a great floor leader, but again, he had one amazing stat year. Let's see if he can put up those #s again.

1. Nash
2. Kidd
3. Billups
4. TP
5. Paul

The rest I count as SGs, and I don't count the alien, I mean Cassell.

good list

cheguevara
09-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I agree with that list

Arenas would have almost singlehandedly beaten Lebronze's cavs last playoffs if not for the refs. Kidd is way,way over the hill, of course Parker >>> Kidd at this point.

And Nash is THE BEST PG no contest.

Supergirl
09-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Baron Davis doesn't even belong on the list. Guy has talent, but has underachieved for every team he's ever played for, because he's been either out of shape or unmotivated, or both.

I'd rank Chauncey above everyone, personally, but definitely at #2, just behind Nash, at the very least.

Other than that, I think the rankings are pretty solid.

wildbill2u
09-18-2006, 06:22 PM
MVP awards aren't for career stats or someone's place in history of the game--they reflect a player's contribution to his team's success in that particular year.

If Nash is considered one of the 'Top Guards of all Time' at some point, the two MVPs will be arguing points for his supporters at Number 1. But he'll have to compete with guards who won championships for their talking points.

himat
09-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Steve Nash is so bad at defense it's sickening. Gibert Arenas is all jumpers (it's a hell of a jumpshot but still).

Steve Nash is in the perfect style that fits him. He'd be exposed on a team that depended more on their defense.

confined
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
u cant even make a list of poitn guards anymore...mostly every "point guard" is a combo guard...there are seriously only about 5 pure point guards in the league nowadays...star point guards that is

z0sa
09-18-2006, 06:48 PM
My Top 10:
1 Steve Nash
2 Allen Iverson
3 Tony Parker
4 Jason Kidd
5 Chauncey Billups
6 Gilbert Arenas
7 Mike Bibby
8 Chris Paul
9 Sam Cassell
10 Stephon Marbury

Parker plays like an SG as well I would say... I wish we could just get a pure point guard.

SenorSpur
09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
I wish folks would stop referring to Areans as a PG. He is a ball-hogging SG and one exceptional scoring machine.

Supergirl
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
People seem to forget that this list is ranking to best POINT GUARDS, not best guards, or best players, or players most likely to win.

Allen Iverson belongs on the list because he transitioned a season or two ago and now playes PG, and plays it pretty damn well.

Jason Terry doesn't belong on the list, because he's not really a PG and rarely plays like one. He's rarely out there calling the game or setting up plays. He's not really bright enough to be a true PG.

Steve Nash doesn't play D, but that's not really a requirement of a PG, and a PG more than any other postion can get away with weaker D. Parker plays the weakest D of any of our starters, but it's OK, because that's not what he'd there for.

Of the players who set the plays and find the open guys, the top playmakers in the NBA are, IMO:
1. Chauncey Billups
2. Steve Nash
3. Allen Iverson
4. Tony Parker
5. Jason Kidd
6. Mike Bibby
7. Sam Cassell

Emily Rose
09-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Nash is the best pg in the league hands down. I would put Billups at 2nd place because he is not nearly as good as making his teamates better as Nash is. Plus Nash led his team to the WCF without any bigmen which says alot. If you put replace Nash with Billups on last years Suns team they would not of finished anywhere near a top 4 record in the league.

nkdlunch
09-19-2006, 02:16 PM
For those Arenas haters, you obviously have not seen him play much. He is not much more of a ballhog than Parker. He penetrates and gets to the line as much as anybody. He also has the green light from his coach to do whatever the fuck he wants on the court. also how do you explain the monster years that jamison and Butler had last year?

jacobdrj
09-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Jameson and Butler are Very underrated players...

They ALWAYS have good years, they just arn't franchise players.

Arenas can score. His passing is medeocre, at best. His basketball IQ is about as low as Iversons'. That is low. I don't like unintelegent players. He doesn't play D. I don't like players who don't play D. He does play with heart, as I think his WBC tryouts proved, but that isn't enough.

nkdlunch
09-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Jameson and Butler are Very underrated players...

They ALWAYS have good years, they just arn't franchise players.

Arenas can score. His passing is medeocre, at best. His basketball IQ is about as low as Iversons'. That is low. I don't like unintelegent players. He doesn't play D. I don't like players who don't play D. He does play with heart, as I think his WBC tryouts proved, but that isn't enough.

:lol to be a starting PG in the NBA you have to have high bball IQ, so its can't be that low. gimme a break

He doesn't play D. I don't like players who don't play D. He does play with heart, as I think his WBC tryouts proved, but that isn't enough
then you must not like PGs cause none of those in the top 5 list besides Billups and maybe Kidd plays better D

ShoogarBear
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Um, I doubt anyone of you has seen more of Arenas than I have.

And if I were Ernie Grunfeld, I couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

jacobdrj
09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
:lol to be a starting PG in the NBA you have to have high bball IQ, so its can't be that low. gimme a break

You are just flat out wrong here. He and Iverson make mental mistakes to spare. Gilbert has absolutly no ability to visualize the whole basketball game, and to know what you need to do in a given situation. Might I point out the Cavs/Wiz series, where Gilbert didn't even have a concept of how much time was on the clock, or how many time-outs he had left. That was just 1 example. Mental errors such as double dribbling are also signs of low b-ball IQ.

then you must not like PGs cause none of those in the top 5 list besides Billups and maybe Kidd plays better D
Yep. You are correct. I think Nash is a monster on O (I bet Big Ben would average a healthy double double if they were paired), but I am not sure I would ever want him on my team without having 4 other guys on the floor to cover his ass on D. Actualy, Billups doesn't play much D either... he just plays better D than most other PGs. His weaknesses will be more visible now that Big Ben is gone. The only good defender on that list is J-Kidd, and his body is betraying him.

zwbgr
09-19-2006, 05:08 PM
If there is Iverson, where is Kobe than? Playing on Pg doesn't really mean that player is PG. My selection:

1. Nash
2. Billups
3. Paul
4. Parker
5. Davis
6. Kidd
7. Casell
8. Bibby
9. Arenas
10. Felton

THE SIXTH MAN
09-19-2006, 08:58 PM
u cant even make a list of poitn guards anymore...mostly every "point guard" is a combo guard...there are seriously only about 5 pure point guards in the league nowadays...star point guards that is
I approve of this post.