PDA

View Full Version : I accidentally hit "reply" instead of "forward" on an email criticizing my supervisor

Mr. Peabody
09-16-2006, 10:45 AM
One of my supervisors sent me a caustic email yesterday, ripping into me for some work that didn't get out to a client. The thing about it was that I really had nothing to do with the work not getting out and I told him that. He was still upset and found a way to criticize me, even though I had not really done anything. So, I got his email and forwarded it to another employee, with comments about what an ass he was being.

Well, instead of hitting forward, I hit reply and sent the email off. I didn't realize my mistake until my supervisor sent me a reply titled "Was this email meant for me?" My heart stopped and I literally said "Oh Shit!!" as I sat in my office. I just responded that it was me venting about my morning to a friend. I haven't heard from him since.

Fortunately, he was out of town, but he will be back on Monday and I am a little worried. I won't lose my job, but I have a feeling this guy might make my life miserable for the rest of my career. I hate email.

angel_luv
09-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Oh no!

Sorry!

missmyzte
09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
That really sucks, I've had friends do that and let me tell you, you never do it twice. You'll always look very carefully in the future as to who you're sending an e-mail to. Another problemic button: Reply All

dirk4mvp
09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Buy him/her a delicious cake.

Mr. Peabody
09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
That really sucks, I've had friends do that and let me tell you, you never do it twice. You'll always look very carefully in the future as to who you're sending an e-mail to. Another problemic button: Reply All

I'm just never going to use email again. From now on, everything is handwritten notes hand-delivered to the intended party.

TheSanityAnnex
09-16-2006, 11:00 AM
:lmao

ShoogarBear
09-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Too bad he already read it. Otherwise we could be providing you with sitcom ideas for how to break into his account and delete the message before he got back on Monday.

At least you didn't throw your friend who you intended the forward the message to under the bus with you, did you?

Mr. Peabody
09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Too bad he already read it. Otherwise we could be providing you with sitcom ideas for how to break into his account and delete the message before he got back on Monday.

At least you didn't throw your friend who you intended the forward the message to under the bus with you, did you?

No, it would have made it even worse had I told him that the email was intended for a coworker. I just said it was a friend.

Das Texan
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM
You should tell him you wanted to add humor to the office.

Fillmoe
09-16-2006, 11:24 AM
better learn to kiss ass real fast..... :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Man, you never put any criticism of anyone, coworker or boss, in an email. You never know who is watching, and you always run the possibility of fucking up and sending it to the wrong person.

Das Texan
09-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Man, you never put any criticism of anyone, coworker or boss, in an email. You never know who is watching, and you always run the possibility of fucking up and sending it to the wrong person.

like IT ;)

sa_butta
09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Man, you never put any criticism of anyone, coworker or boss, in an email. You never know who is watching, and you always run the possibility of fucking up and sending it to the wrong person.Besides that even at my job they can track any email incoming, or outgoing. If you were going to send an email like that it should be from a personal account, not inter-office.

ShoogarBear
09-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Shit, you should have just taken the opportunity to go on the offensive:

"Yeah, bitch, I sent it. What you gonna do about it mothafucka?"

At least you'd go down feeling good.

TDMVPDPOY
09-16-2006, 12:13 PM
offer him to pitb

Phenomanul
09-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Bummer.

If there was no reason for his unwarranted contempt.... let HR know.

SequSpur
09-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Integrity: Doing the right thing when no one's watching you...

learn it...

baseline bum
09-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Work accounts should only be used for work-related email. Gossip and venting isn't that. Using work email for anything personal is like holding a loaded gun to your head.

PM5K
09-16-2006, 01:30 PM
lol, you got owned....

midgetonadonkey
09-16-2006, 01:36 PM
You sound pretty fucked to me.

tsb2000
09-16-2006, 02:04 PM
D'oh!

Looks like your next step is here (http://www.monster.com). :)

KEDA
09-16-2006, 02:08 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49982

well at least this thread above will get you started in the right direction for your next move.

Solid D
09-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Sometimes, Mr. Peabody, stuff like that happens for a reason. Your supervisor may have been frustrated with you and he reacted, justified or not. You ended up being frustratrated and upset with his comments, so you reacted. It sounds like one of those emotional chain reactions that happens from time to time. Although, you didn't respond very well, it's not too late to take the first step on Monday, face to face, and let your supervisor know you that you reacted improperly even though you were feeling unjustly criticized. By talking it through with your supervisor and assuring him that you really are both on the same team, you might break down a barrier or two.

You never know, by being straight-up and honest with him, he's probably going to trust you more than he would if you don't go to him and talk things out in a calm manner. You might even come to an agreement on how you will both communicate and handle things better in the future.

NBA Junkie
09-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Sometimes, Mr. Peabody, stuff like that happens for a reason. Your supervisor may have been frustrated with you and he reacted, justified or not. You ended up being frustratrated and upset with his comments, so you reacted. It sounds like one of those emotional chain reactions that happens from time to time. Although, you didn't respond very well, it's not too late to take the first step on Monday, face to face, and let your supervisor know you that you reacted improperly even though you were feeling unjustly criticized. By talking it through with your supervisor and assuring him that you really are both on the same team, you might break down a barrier or two.

You never know, by being straight-up and honest with him, he's probably going to trust you more than he would if you don't go to him and talk things out in a calm manner. You might even come to an agreement on how you will both communicate and handle things better in the future.

:tu

sa_butta
09-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Somebody has been watching Dr. Phil.

johnsmith
09-16-2006, 03:05 PM

learn it...

Shut the fuck up.

Solid D
09-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Well I say you deny it to the bitter end!!!!

ENRON Forum. Andersen Consulting Forum. Bill and Monica Forum. Take your pick.

CharlieMac
09-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Step into my office.....

sa_butta
09-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Step into my office.....the shitter is out of order.

2Blonde
09-16-2006, 05:10 PM
I think this might really help in your situation...

Placement Strategists (http://www.rotten.com/library/hoaxes/temp-agencies/)

1Parker1
09-16-2006, 05:44 PM
ENRON Forum. Andersen Consulting Forum. Bill and Monica Forum. Take your pick.

:tu :lmao

Sorry Mr. Peabody...if that were me, I'd be freaking out also. Next time, you'll be double checking which button you used.

Nbadan
09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Well, the obvious answer is get him fired or moved.

bigzak25
09-16-2006, 08:32 PM
with comments about what an ass he was being.

what kind of comments peabody? what did you say...

sorry about your predicament.

E20
09-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Shit, you should have just taken the opportunity to go on the offensive:

"Yeah, bitch, I sent it. What you gonna do about it mothafucka?"

At least you'd go down feeling good.
Good one. lmao.

Sorry to hear about your situation Mr.Peabody, hope everything works out well.

bendmz
09-17-2006, 02:34 PM

very well said. go in with that "GUNG HO" approach. if that does not work,,,,, break out the knee pads :drunk

ALVAREZ6
09-17-2006, 04:41 PM
That sucks dude, I feel bad for you.

Just tell your boss that you really think he was being unfair, and if he doesn't but it, then fuck him.

Kevin Trudeau
09-18-2006, 02:13 AM
So, I got his email and forwarded it to another employee, with comments about what an ass he was being.

Get 15 colonics in 30 days and you will feel much better.

cheguevara
09-18-2006, 01:03 PM
put some weed in your boss's desk drawer and call the cops

he will forget about your email very quickly

tlongII
09-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Looks like you just launched the pink slip virus. Good luck finding a new job!

DirkAB
09-18-2006, 02:40 PM

learn it...

douchebag: An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of others with no sense of how moronic he appears. Commonly mistaken for an asshole, douchebag is not an synonym for asshole, because assholes call other people douchebags, and assholes are more often than not proud of being assholes. (i.e. SequSpur)

Solid D
09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, Mr. Peabody...what's the story today?

Mr. Peabody
09-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, Mr. Peabody...what's the story today?

To be honest, I was so busy today that I basically locked myself in my office and worked. So, no confrontation and still employed as of now. And although I thought your advice was sound, I don't want to make the issue any bigger than it is, so I am not going to bring it up unless I have to.

lilmads
09-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Good luck... :)
If you haven't heard from him yet it might be a good sign...

Solid D
09-18-2006, 09:29 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/vsh0572l.jpg

trueD
09-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Maybe you hurt his feelings, and he feels even worse than you do! Which would be good...

slayermin
09-19-2006, 04:46 AM

It really sux when you do the reply all to 1000 people.

One third will reply or call you to get on your case like in the movie Office Space. Yeah, you need to put a cover sheet on all your TPS reports. Didn't you get the memo?

DarkReign
09-19-2006, 07:45 AM
put some weed in your boss's desk drawer and call the cops

he will forget about your email very quickly

:lmao Bingo.

CubanMustGo
09-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Another problemic button: Reply All

Heh. I work for a company with over 100,000 employees world-wide, almost all of whom have e-mail. Until they finally fixed it, it was possible to accidentally, and fairly easily, send a message to the entire company. This invariably caused hundreds of "inDuhviduals" to do "reply alls" saying idiotic things like "take me off this DL," "why are you sending me this," "don't reply all [sent to everyone]," etc. etc. etc. Scary thing is that this is a technology company!

ATX Spur
09-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Besides that even at my job they can track any email incoming, or outgoing. If you were going to send an email like that it should be from a personal account, not inter-office.
My old job was able to track emails sent and received from the office even if they were personal accounts as well.

Nbadan
09-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Company e-mail is not protected e-mail. Companies assume that your e-mail is for business and have a legal write to read it. If you want a private e-mail then use a private provider like Hotmail.

ducks
09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
hotmail is read by bill gates not very private

Nbadan
09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
hotmail is read by bill gates not very private

encryption + Key - google it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-19-2006, 08:28 PM
So, no confrontation and still employed as of now.

That's pretty weak footing, companies usually fire people Fridays.

DirkAB
09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
That's pretty weak footing, companies usually fire people Fridays.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/JGordier/TheBobs.jpg

Solid D
09-20-2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.timetravelreviews.com/images/television/20001.jpg

I don't think you are really THE Mr. Peabody. Otherwise, you would have summoned Sherman and hopped into the "Wayback Machine" and ensured that e-mail didn't happen. :)

Solid D
09-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Wellll, what did you do Mr. Peabody? Did you have a face-to-face yet?

tlongII
09-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Wellll, what did you do Mr. Peabody? Did you have a face-to-face yet?

Mr. Peabody did most of his posting from the office. We may not hear from him for a while. :(

BeerIsGood!
09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
RIP - Mr. Peabody's Career. On the bright side... This country allows you to re-invent yourself and resurrect your career elsewhere. One door closes and gives you the motivation to find a bigger door than before.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Bump... tomorrow's Friday.

Guru of Nothing
09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Ever heard of Happy Hour?

Geez!

Solid D
09-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Bump

mcornelio
09-24-2006, 10:51 AM
bump bump bump wheres the fucking poodle what happened?

Zunni
09-24-2006, 12:29 PM
One of my supervisors sent me a caustic email yesterday, ripping into me for some work that didn't get out to a client. The thing about it was that I really had nothing to do with the work not getting out and I told him that. He was still upset and found a way to criticize me, even though I had not really done anything. So, I got his email and forwarded it to another employee, with comments about what an ass he was being.

Well, instead of hitting forward, I hit reply and sent the email off. I didn't realize my mistake until my supervisor sent me a reply titled "Was this email meant for me?" My heart stopped and I literally said "Oh Shit!!" as I sat in my office. I just responded that it was me venting about my morning to a friend. I haven't heard from him since.

Fortunately, he was out of town, but he will be back on Monday and I am a little worried. I won't lose my job, but I have a feeling this guy might make my life miserable for the rest of my career. I hate email.

It doesn't really matter if you hit reply or forward. You criticized your supervisor in an email. Not smart at all. Weasels abound, and someone would have used that against you eventually.

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I think Peabody's house and computer have been taken due to forclosure.

Solid D
09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Mr. Peabody hasn't posted since 9/19.

George W Bush
09-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I told you I was reading your posts, emails
and checkin' your PM's.

If Mr. Peabody and K-9's like him wanna
spread facts about me, I wanna know about it.

Like him, you all will be dealt with accordingly,
all in the name of the "war on terror" with my
new "Fact-Spreadin' Surveillance Program".

Mr. Peabody has been placed in our new torchure
pound, "AbuBark Prison" currently undergoin'
aggressive interrogation proceedings, all within
the law, by the way.

I personally like showin' him a pork chop,
make em think he's gonna grub, then snatch it back
before he gets to it.

Or teasin' him with a frizbee...

Let lil' rover be a lesson to you fellas.

You're either with me, or you're with the puppy.

God Bless America :tu

katyon6th
09-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I think Mr. Peabody is just teasing all of you.

Mr. Peabody
09-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Mr. Peabody hasn't posted since 9/19.

Sorry, I've been really busy at work.

I have already met with and apologized to the partner that I insulted and he said that it wasn't a big deal. We'll see what happens. I don't think this is the kind of thing where you automatically lose your job, at least not here. However, I can easily see a scenario play out where I quit getting good projects or my career does not advance as it should because of this incident.

Another bad thing about this incident is that it makes for a good story, but I can't really tell anyone in the office about it. I think the partner would get upset if he knew I told our coworkers the story.

Solid D
09-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the update. This place really is about people. I'm glad you met with him. Sometimes people say things aren't a big deal when privately, it sort of is a big deal...or could be if you don't talk things out.

If you are married, get your wife to make some cookies (or if you can cook, bake some yourself) and bring them to work and make sure the partner gets a couple of them. There are many, many reasons that doing this is a good idea among your co-workers unrelated to the e-mail thing that I won't go into.

Mr. Peabody
09-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the update. This place really is about people. I'm glad you met with him. Sometimes people say things aren't a big deal when privately, it sort of is a big deal...or could be if you don't talk things out.

If you are married, get your wife to make some cookies (or if you can cook, bake some yourself) and bring them to work and make sure the partner gets a couple of them. There are many, many reasons that doing this is a good idea among your co-workers unrelated to the e-mail thing that I won't go into.

Damn Solid, you should give lectures on establishing a harmonious work environment.

You were right, it was a good idea to address the issue with my supervisor. Now that it's behind us, I no longer have to avoid him in the halls.

Solid D
09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
:)

Chocolate Chip.

CosmicCowboy
09-25-2006, 09:53 AM
weed brownies...

ShoogarBear
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Oooh, I think the cookies might be pushing it. Just my opinion.

angel_luv
09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Oooh, I think the cookies might be pushing it. Just my opinion.

I agree. Just wait and bring him some for Christmas.

Solid D
09-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I didn't suggest bring cookies just for him, I suggested bring them to work but make sure he gets a couple. I am assuming other cookie-loving partners there can give you projects....

Good luck blending in then.

tlongII
09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I suggest a box of donut holes. Much easier since you don't have to bake them.

ducks
09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I suggest a gift certificate for victories secret

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 02:46 PM
I suggest a gift certificate for victories secret

Victory has a secret?

ducks
09-25-2006, 02:50 PM
victoria's secret sorry

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I think the secret to victory is practice.

BeerIsGood!
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I think the secret to victory is practice.
Or take out the QB's knee... :lol

ShoogarBear
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
The secret to victory is to get the rules changed.

-Mark Cuban

Solid D
10-13-2006, 03:07 PM
How are things, Mr. Peabody?

ATX Spur
10-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Yep I thought about bumping this thread a couple of days ago. How goes it, Mr. P?

Clandestino
10-14-2006, 05:09 PM
maybe his only computer was at work and that is why the bad rating..he is fired now and can't post

Mr. Peabody
10-16-2006, 07:23 AM
How are things, Mr. Peabody?

Everything has been OK in the office, but I haven't received as much work from that particular partner as I did in the past. This is troubling since he controls a large amount of the work in my section. This is what I thought would happen. I never thought that I would face immediate termination for the incident. A more likely scenario is that I get tagged as a "problem" and my career doesn't advance. Oh well, I guess that's the downside of working in a corporate environment (or using email....).

Mr. Peabody
10-16-2006, 07:29 AM
maybe his only computer was at work and that is why the bad rating..he is fired now and can't post

No, I have a computer at home, but I don't post from there that often. I usually post during my downtime at work.

Do I have a "bad rating"?

Solid D
10-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks for updating everybody, Mr. Peabody.

We all make mistakes (including your partner). You can't rebuild trust over night, so here's to making the most of your opportunities to shine!

Mr. Peabody
10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for updating everybody, Mr. Peabody.

We all make mistakes (including your partner). You can't rebuild trust over night, so here's to making the most of your opportunities to shine!

You should seriously consider giving lectures on maintaining a cohesive work environment. Thus far, your advice has been "on the money."