PDA

View Full Version : dealing with a blind dog

spurs=bling
09-16-2006, 07:41 PM
okay today at work i saw this paper put up by the animal shelter about a mini schnauzer. i went to see the dog after work and its blind but they don't want to put it down because he still has some years left in him, so i brought him home with me because the poor dog was found at a dog fighting ring and i felt bad for the poor dog. so has any one here dealt with a blind dog before?

chickenfried
09-16-2006, 08:22 PM
How does a blind dog fight? :lol

spurs=bling
09-16-2006, 08:43 PM
How does a blind dog fight? :lol
they told me that they busted a pitbull fighting ring in town and they found the dog i got and two other dogs in a small kennel with no food or water. they think that something fell in its eyes and which is why it went blind.

missmyzte
09-16-2006, 08:45 PM
That's so sad! and really sweet of you to take the dog in, he's really lucky.

spurs=bling
09-16-2006, 09:00 PM
That's so sad! and really sweet of you to take the dog in, he's really lucky.
yes it is really sad, and i love dogs so that is why i took him in.

RashoFan
09-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Try these...I just googled it
http://www.ehow.com/how_17612_live-with-blind.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_17611_train-blind-dog.html
http://www.petcarebooks.com/books/living_blind.htm

spurs=bling
09-16-2006, 09:46 PM
thanks Rashofan.

RashoFan
09-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I hope it helps, bless you for taking in the little guy...I hope he will be happy in a(your) loving home!!! Good luck!!!!

Big P
09-16-2006, 10:40 PM
My dog lived for 23 years..the last 3 years he was blind...all I can say is that you have to be very patient with him..taking him outside, making sure he gets his water & food..basically obvious stuff that they usually do themselves..its going to take alot of your time taking care of him, but IMO, as a dog person, it is well worth it...most people would have said, put him down, but I couldn't bring myself to kill a dog just because he was blind..that was the only thing physically wrong with him..he could still walk around & was not in any pain...I think that is awesome that you took him in & are going to give him a loving home...best of luck.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Get him a seeing eye human.

Seriously, big props to you Blingy. I got nothing but love for people who take in injured animals like that.

Zombie
09-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Blingy, is an attention whore, never believe her posts!

angel_luv
09-16-2006, 11:44 PM
What is your new dog's name, Blingy?

Zombie
09-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Countdown to Zombie starting a thread titled "Target Practice II"

:lmao
A blind target is no fun! :lol

CharlieMac
09-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Dude,

I have a blind dog. I'll tell you about it tomorrow when im sober. He has major cateracts though.

Sincerely,

Erik

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Uvalde? Pitbull fighting?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

CharlieMac
09-17-2006, 10:10 AM
okay today at work i saw this paper put up by the animal shelter about a mini schnauzer. i went to see the dog after work and its blind but they don't want to put it down because he still has some years left in him, so i brought him home with me because the poor dog was found at a dog fighting ring and i felt bad for the poor dog. so has any one here dealt with a blind dog before?

I adopted this dude from the animal defense league a few years ago. Those links Rasho fan posted are really helpful. Snapping your fingers helps guide the dog throughout the house.

Don't feel bad if your dog keeps bumping his head on things. Occasionally, it's even okay to laugh. Sometimes. I read some dogs are really agressive, but mine is very timid. I open the front door for him to go do his business and he'll always come back. The noises outside scare him.

Duncan21
09-17-2006, 10:50 AM
good luck to you and the dog, there needs to be more people like you that takes in animals to give them a good home. hope everything goes well for with him.

spurs=bling
09-17-2006, 04:22 PM
I adopted this dude from the animal defense league a few years ago. Those links Rasho fan posted are really helpful. Snapping your fingers helps guide the dog throughout the house.

Don't feel bad if your dog keeps bumping his head on things. Occasionally, it's even okay to laugh. Sometimes. I read some dogs are really agressive, but mine is very timid. I open the front door for him to go do his business and he'll always come back. The noises outside scare him.
snapping my fingers does work but he is very scared when i sit down he starts crying until i pick him up and put him on my lap.