PDA

View Full Version : Rockets and Heat Now In Bonzi Saga

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Wells still seeks deal

The NBA champion Miami Heat are still one of the teams showing some interest in shooting guard Bonzi Wells, the unrestricted free agent who strangely hasn't secured a contract yet for next season.

According to various NBA reports, the Denver Nuggets and Houston Rockets also have some interest.

Wells is coming off a good season with Sacramento, averaging 13.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.8 steals, but the Kings didn't try very hard to bring him back.

Wells made $8.8 million last season, and he wasn't interested in taking a pay cut.

The perception surrounding Wells is that he is too disruptive for the fragile makeup of many teams, which is why there is no bidding war for his services. He might have to settle for a one-year deal in the $5 million range.
-Orlando Sentinel

1Parker1
09-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Damn, if Miami or the Rockets land Bonzi, they'll be even tougher to beat.

Lp26
09-17-2006, 12:06 PM
If Miami lands Bonzi, I'll cry

1Parker1
09-17-2006, 12:12 PM
If Miami lands Bonzi, I'll cry

:lol

I dont see how they can afford him. They'd have to get rid of some of the important role players who helped them win the championship last year; Perhaps Haslem and/or Posey.

trueD
09-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Wells still seeks deal

Wells is coming off a good season with Sacramento, averaging 13.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.8 steals, but the Kings didn't try very hard to bring him back.

Wells made $8.8 million last season, and he wasn't interested in taking a pay cut.

The perception surrounding Wells is that he is too disruptive for the fragile makeup of many teams, which is why there is no bidding war for his services. He might have to settle for a one-year deal in the $5 million range.
-Orlando SentinelThis writer is uninformed! First off, the Kings' offer to wells stayed on the table for more than three weeks! It was obvious there were no other offers made to Bonzi in that time because, duh, he's still waiting to hear where to report for training camp!

Second, Wells was in NO WAY disruptive last year. If he carries his new-found attitude Wells will be an excellent addition to any ballclub.

That is, if he can get over the fact that he will be taking an even BIGGER paycut somewhere else. :lol

::STILL bitter::

sprrs
09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
This writer is uninformed! First off, the Kings' offer to wells stayed on the table for more than three weeks! It was obvious there were no other offers made to Bonzi in that time because, duh, he's still waiting to hear where to report for training camp!

Second, Wells was in NO WAY disruptive last year. If he carries his new-found attitude Wells will be an excellent addition to any ballclub.

That is, if he can get over the fact that he will be taking an even BIGGER paycut somewhere else. :lol

::STILL bitter::
His attitude was better last season, but I don't know if most teams will be willing to make the risk of committing 10+ million on him based off of one year. The best thing for him to do at this point would take the pay cut, play hard and not complain for the entire year, then see what offers he gets.

shaggy17
09-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Thing is who do the Rockets have at the 4 outside of Juan Howard??Ryan Bowen?? If they move Battier to the 4 could that work for long stretches???

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Thing is who do the Rockets have at the 4 outside of Juan Howard??Ryan Bowen?? If they move Battier to the 4 could that work for long stretches???

Assuming that the Rockets could keep him motivated and get that same level of play that he showed in Sacto, this would be a really good signing for them. As Shaggy points out their front court is pretty depleted and they need someone like Wells who could rebound above his size. It would also give them a quality third option.

Realistically, I don't think it's going to have a happy ending if they get him. Van Gundy's has a rep as a hardass who stresses D, which is a pretty big weakness for Wells. I'd see that relationship going sour in a hurry, like it did with Stromile Swift. And if the season goes poorly (which is likely given Yao and McGrady's injury history) the old, angry, troublemaker Bonzi might rear his ugly head.

sickdsm
09-18-2006, 02:53 PM
GENERAL PERCEPTION is still correct.

Most don't think that the kings really tried that hard to retain him. Trying hard is the Pacers pursuit of Harrington.

trueD
09-19-2006, 12:28 AM
GENERAL PERCEPTION is still correct.

Most don't think that the kings really tried that hard to retain him. Trying hard is the Pacers pursuit of Harrington.Petrie laid out the BEST offer he's gotten so far, so how is that not trying hard?

DirkAB
09-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Petrie laid out the BEST offer he's gotten so far, so how is that not trying hard?

Short of offering sexual favors, the Kings tried plenty hard to resign him. Are they expected to get into a bidding war with themselves?

kskonn
09-20-2006, 03:13 PM
If they had to get rid of Haslem that would be an awesome pick up for another team. I would imagine they would want to send Haslem west. Anyway the spurs could work a deal to get Him?