PDA

View Full Version : Do you get along with your siblings?

1Parker1
09-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I have two older sisters...both of them are significantly older than me in their mid-late 30's, married, with kids, etc. My one sister and I get along fine...however the two of cannot STAND our oldest sister. Sometimes, I seriously hate her, which I feel guilty for, but cannot help. She is spoiled, a total bitch, and sometimes I worry that she has a split personality disorder because she turns in to this sweet, demure person when she talks to anyone else outside the family.

How many of you get along with your siblings?

JoeChalupa
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I get along great with my older sister and younger brother but my older brother just rubs me the wrong way and we've never gotten along.
We've gotten into some major disagreements that have even come to blows. Don't know why but we just cannot get along but as we've gotten older we've learned to tolerate each other.

leemajors
09-18-2006, 10:20 AM
i get along great with both of mine now. kinda rocky when we all lived together at home, but now we all live in austin and get along great. both my younger brother and sister babysit for me all the time!

SpursWoman
09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I get along with my older brother just fine...a lot better than we used to as a matter of fact. We have to ... as far as close blood-relatives go, we're all we've got.

LuvBones
09-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm the youngest of 5 girls in the family and we all get along great. There is a little division sometimes with the 2 oldest who are in their 30's to the rest of us who are in our 20's but it's b/c they live totally different lives than us (married with kids, etc.).

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
It's hit and miss in my family. I've got three older brothers and a younger sister. The two oldest brothers and I haven't gotten along mostly due to the fact that they don't care for my taste in wives. The relationship isn't completely toxic, but the most peaceful way we get along is simply avoiding the topic of my marriage, which is kinda ackward. My other two siblings and I get along just great though.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm the youngest of 7 and my oldest brother is 16 years older than I am. One of my brothers is a complete pain in the ass, but I still love the dumb fucker. Maybe it's easier because he lives 4,000 miles away. Besides him, we all get along fine.

angel_luv
09-18-2006, 12:23 PM
My foster siblings ( and there were a lot of them over the years!) and I never had a lot of trouble getting along- amazingly little considering what a blended family we were.

Of course, it helped a great deal that with my parents being kind to one another wasn't not an option. Our choices were either play nicely together or do not play.

I still keep in touch with several of my foster sister. Ironically in fact, the two foster sisters I have who live here are they only family I am able to see regularly.

katyon6th
09-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I have 4 brothers that I'm really close to and get along great with.

I love being the only girl.

McKenzie
09-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I have two older sisters...both of them are significantly older than me in their mid-late 30's, married, with kids, etc. My one sister and I get along fine...however the two of cannot STAND our oldest sister. Sometimes, I seriously hate her, which I feel guilty for, but cannot help. She is spoiled, a total bitch, and sometimes I worry that she has a split personality disorder because she turns in to this sweet, demure person when she talks to anyone else outside the family.

How many of you get along with your siblings?

One of my sisters is just like yours. We have often discussed how to have her evaluated because she is, without doubt, got some mental issue going on.

Otherwise, I do pretty well with the others in the family.

Silver21_Black20
09-18-2006, 12:59 PM
I have an older brother and an older sister. We get along just fine. My sister is 8 years older than me and she is my best friend.

Ginofan
09-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I just have one younger brother. When we were growing up we got along very well, and we still do, but since he's away at college it's a little bit harder to spend time together.

mcornelio
09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
i get along great with my two brothers.. but not with my sister cause shes a whore.

CuckingFunt
09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
My half-sisters are both quite a bit younger than me (they just turned 17 and 14), so I'm still seen as the ultra-cool older sister and we get along great.

Okay, maybe not ultra-cool, but they don't yet think I'm a complete spazz.

The other side of the family, however... you practically have to keep written notes going to keep track of who is/isn't speaking at any given time.

tlongII
09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
All of my siblings reside in sheep farming country in Scotland so I rarely see them. It's probably better that way.

Carie
09-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Yes, my sister and I are very close now that we've grown up. She's one of my best friends.

My brother and I get along very well, but he's 10 years younger than I am, so we're not calling each other up every day and just shooting the shit. He's still in the all video games, sports, and his girlfriend phase of life.

and sometimes I worry that she has a split personality disorder because she turns in to this sweet, demure person when she talks to anyone else outside the family.
Is someone with a split personality able to control their personalities? Since it's so specific to family/not family it seems to me that it's intentional.

CosmicCowboy
09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
My sisters and I get along fine. I have an adopted brother that was so fucked up he has been banned from the family for about 10 years now.

jcrod
09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
my older brother just rubs me the wrong way and we've never gotten along.
We've gotten into some major disagreements that have even come to blows. Don't know why but we just cannot get along but as we've gotten older we've learned to tolerate each other.

Same here.

2Blonde
09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
I have 4 sisters. 3 older and 1 younger. The oldest didn't grow up with us because my mom had her at 17 and gave her up for adoption. We didn't meet her until I was in my thirties. As for my other sisters, it seems to go in cycles.

Mom always called us by number growing up as a joke. Daughter #1, #2, etc.. I was #3. #1 was always the responsible one and would do anything for you but you would owe her for the rest of your life. #2 is the total bitch (she's a lawyer now) and always thought the world owed her something. She has a very sharp, mean tongue. Crossing her is a bad idea. #3 Me. The classic middle child. #4 the baby. She was the one who was always in trouble. Sneaking out, dating guys 10 years older than her, smoking, drinking, etc... Been married more times than Elizabeth Taylor, but she has a heart of gold.

I shared a room with #4 growing up & we hated each other then and aren't very close now because I don't approve of a lot of her choices. #3 an I are just a year and 4 months apart in age so we had all the same friends in school so we had a lot of classes together in high school and were fairly close then but our personalities are so completely different. The common friends are the only thing we ever shared. #1 is the one I am closest to. We shared a house together for a couple of years. It almost killed our relationship but we eventually recovered. We talk at least once a week and I count on her for good advice. I don't know what I would do without her. I talk to my other sisters about once every couple of months.

I had to go help out #2 last week after some surgery she had and after three days of being there I thought I was going to kill her or myself.

But last year when my dad died I noticed that everyone's strengths and weaknesses worked well together in doing the things that needed to get done. When someone wasn't capable of handling something then someone else with the right bitchiness quotient would step up.

lilmads
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I have one elder sister who is 5 years older. We get along pretty well. Nah I won't tell her everything that goes on in my life but she's awesome:)

ShoogarBear
09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
I have two younger sisters (15 months and 7 years). They get along with each other great (AFAIK, they haven't had a fight since the middle one was around 10), and I get along with them about as well as can be expected, since we grew up on Army bases overseas and often only had each other to play with. I taught the middle one how to throw and catch a football, which made her a lethal secret weapon when she played intramural sports. :smokin

IMy one sister and I get along fine...however the two of cannot STAND our oldest sister.Let me guess: she's the one who puts the cereal in the bowl before the milk?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-18-2006, 07:51 PM
All of my siblings reside in sheep farming country in Scotland so I rarely see them. It's probably better that way.

Sheep farmers?

*Walks away from thread.*

spurschick
09-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I have one older sister and she has to be one of the most negative people I have ever known. I love her as my sister, but I have to say that I don't really like her.

ObiwanGinobili
09-18-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm the oldest of 4 kids.

My next younger brother is 23 and we are hot and cold. Sometimes I want to strangel him 'cause he is so self absorbed, greedy, and cold hearted. He is the #1 thing on this planet. On the otehr hand we like alot of the same stuff., have the same hobbies etc etc. We were each others playmate growing up so we have that connection.

My only sister just turned 19 and we get along very well. Our relationship has gone thru some transistion lately since I was often left i nthe position of raising her when we were younger. To go from a mothering role to a sisterly role is hard, there was some issues there but we've worked thru it. We don;t havwe as much in common as my bother and I - but our dealiongs are more peaceful and our personalities match well. We rarely ever clash.

My youngest brother is 8. I had to care for him from birth till 3 years old because of my motehr's physical illness's. I still think of him as *my* little boy. It's hard now that my mom has been able to take over as *mom*. But I'm dealing. Of course we get along great, he loves me like no other. In his eyes I've moved out of the disciplinarian role and into the cool older sister role.

RashoFan
09-18-2006, 10:32 PM
I have an older brother (5 yrs older) and a younger (half)brother(20 months younger). I am closer to my little brother since we grew up together, my older brother grew up with our dad. My older brother haven't really talked since our grandma passed away a year ago(news that I got from my mother's childhood best friend.) My younger brother and I always do whatever we can to help each other out and our mom. I guess we are Functionally Dysfunctional....

Leetonidas
09-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Nope. Just my sister.

MannyIsGod
09-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I have 2 younger sisters. I get along with my youngest sister very well, but the older one and I always have tension.

spurs=bling
09-18-2006, 10:47 PM
my sister is adopted and she is a year younger than me, no matter how hard i try to get along with her i can't.

Vizzini
09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
I have a sister who is three years older than me, and we get along great. She just had her second kid a month ago, and I usually make a point to get over to her house once a week to see the little one and my other neice who is three years old. Since I have no kids of my own, and since most all of my extended family is out of town, I try very hard to be actively involved in their lives. I want to be the cool uncle who takes his neices to the movies and the park. I don't want them to only see me two times a year and have the unfamiliarity and tension that comes at family get togethers. I also have a younger brother who is seven years younger than me. He has a few learning disabilities, and is not your normal eighteen year old. I get along with him all right. We share a love of sports which is what we always talk about when we see each other. I admit that he is hard to deal with him some times, but I don't think that it is b/c of his disabilities, but rather his laziness that stems from everyone do everything for him. He has no willingness or gumption to do anything on his own. He always has to be pushed and prodded along just to get the most mundane things accomplished. He is more than able to handle the day to day things life throws at him, but he will use other people's sympathy as a tool to do as little as possible whenever he can. I get on him for his laziness, and he just clams up and gets ticked off, which leads to me just walk away in disgust. I think I need to be better at handling him, but nothing I seem to do helps.

spurster
09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
All my siblings are a 100 miles or more away, so it's easy to get along with them.

George W Bush
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Me and my daddy are the best of buddies.

We do alot together just like ol' times,
like creatin' new ways to start war and end the world.

I enjoy it, by the way, cuz it's hard work.

My momma Barbara is a nice ol' lady,
she's the one that instilled those personal
values in me since childhood, like what a minority
is, and what to do when they attack.

And she also taught me about hard work and
decietfulness so I can put food on my family.

Thank ya mommma,

Laura and I get into an occasional squabble, if you will,
but darnit, I hate when she takes the sheets when we
are sleepin'. So I feel that I have to stay on my mission
and not "cut and run" on my sleepin' time.

I told her, "mine are the white sheets with the holes in the middle"
and ever since, she understood who is daddy, and
we've been great partners in bed, if ya know
what I mean...wink-wink....

I love my kids Jenna and Barbara,
it's not till just recently that Laura told me that Jenna
was not my son, but that he was a girl,
my condolences.

Barbara got caught with that fake ID before and
she was drinkin,'
and havin' alot of my ol' characteristics from my childhood.

So I asked my wife Laura once,
"Is our children learnin'?"

Now my brother Jeb, he's a character, I'll tell ya,
when we were little, we used to play Star Wars
and we used to fight over who gets to blow up planet Earth.

Jeb understood me, and my childhood dream.

Now, me and my brother Jeb stay up late at night sometimes
on the phone, and he reads me stories to put me to bed.

I tell ya, when he read Green Eggs and Ham to me,
he had a delivery and realness about him, that I says to myself,
"Hey George, this guy's our next President".

Heck of a job Jeb.

'08 is our year!

I'm George W Bush and I approve this message.

And God Bless America. :tu

DarkReign
09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
I have 2 older brothers and we have been thick as thieves from my first memory on. Theyre my best friends and closest confidants.