PDA

View Full Version : Bonzi on his Way to The Rockets?

RON ARTEST
09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=929816&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

RON ARTEST
09-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Wells May Sign With Rockets Last Edited: Monday, 18 Sep 2006, 8:14 PM CDT
Created: Monday, 18 Sep 2006, 5:56 PM CDT

Houston Rockets
Free agent guard Bonzi Wells arrived in Houston this afternoon to meet with Rockets General Manager Carroll Dawson and head coach Jeff Van Gundy.
An eight year veteran, Wells says he could sign with Houston within the next 48 hours.
“I could. I definitely could. It’s up to the organization. I would want to sign depending on how everything worked out,” Wells told FOX 26’s Mark Berman.
Wells knows wherever he goes he would probably be signing a one-year contract.
“Hopefully we will have good news for each other. We are going to be talking about the situation and the possibility of me playing here (this) year,” said Wells. “Houston would be a good spot for me to make my home. They have a great team. Hopefully they will give me an opportunity to come here and play my game.”
During his career, Wells has averaged 12.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 2.3 assists a game.
“They already have what they need with Yao and Tracy McGrady. Hopefully I can come and be a good teammate. With Yao and Tracy there that would make my life a whole lot easier because I would have a whole lot of open shots and the lane would be wide open for me with those getting most of the attention.”
Wells, who played most in Sacramento last year, acknowledges that Denver and Miami are also possibilities if nothing works out here in Houston.
For more on this developing story and Wells’ exclusive interview with FOX 26 Sports’ Mark Berman, join us for Fox 26 News at Nine tonight.

Print-friendly version | Email

Top Sports News Astros, Oswalt Pick Up Win Over Reds
Roy Oswalt pitched a 5-3 win over Cincinnati at Minute Maid Park Monday night. The Astros did most of their damage in a 4-run s...>>More
Exclusive: Wells May Sign with Rockets
FOX 26 Sports has learned that free agent guard Bonzi Wells was in Houston Monday afternoon to meet with Rockets Gen...>>More
Carson Kainer Kidney Transplant Will Tell His Future
Carson Kainer next step to the road to the ball yard. A kidney transplant will determine that. Keith Calkins has the story. >>More
Texans vs. Colts
Week two with the Texans they continue to look as weak as they ever have. A gap between the Texans and the Indy C...>>More
FOX 26 Sports & Mark Berman: The Best in Houston!
Watch Mark Berman and his crew scoop the competition on FOX Sports Xtra, every Sunday night, after FOX 26 News at 9PM! >>More
>>View More Sports News
Advertisement

RON ARTEST
09-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Battier, Wells, TMAC, and Yao, if healthy, are a solid team.
and scary as hell, but they still wont be contenders because they have NO point guard at all plus their bench is horrible.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-18-2006, 11:55 PM
the Houston rockets have as much chance of staying healthy as the Denver Nuggets do :lol

trueD
09-18-2006, 11:58 PM
“I could. I definitely could. It’s up to the organization. I would want to sign depending on how everything worked out,” Wells told FOX 26’s Mark Berman.
Wells knows wherever he goes he would probably be signing a one-year contract.
“Hopefully we will have good news for each other. We are going to be talking about the situation and the possibility of me playing here (this) year,” said Wells. “Houston would be a good spot for me to make my home. They have a great team. Hopefully they will give me an opportunity to come here and play my game.”
During his career, Wells has averaged 12.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 2.3 assists a game.
“They already have what they need with Yao and Tracy McGrady. Hopefully I can come and be a good teammate. With Yao and Tracy there that would make my life a whole lot easier because I would have a whole lot of open shots and the lane would be wide open for me with those getting most of the attention.”anyone else think Bonzi's comment is, uh, kind of self-serving?

He sure is laying it on thick with the begging :lol

::still bitter::

Emily Rose
09-19-2006, 12:07 AM
and scary as hell, but they still wont be contenders because they have NO point guard at all plus their bench is horrible.

A healthy rocket team can give any team a tough as hell 6 game series. Their bench is nothing special along with their pg situation but still if they land Wells and stay healthy this team is going to be a bitch for everyone in the West.

RON ARTEST
09-19-2006, 12:35 AM
anyone else think Bonzi's comment is, uh, kind of self-serving?

He sure is laying it on thick with the begging :lol

::still bitter::
It just shows how much he cares about himself.

NBA Junkie
09-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Bonzi would be a heck of an asset to the Rockets if he can accept the role of sixth man.

I don't think he starts over Battier. He's an even better insurance policy if T-Mac's back problems flare up again.

This is why I think he picks Houston over Miami in the end if he goes this route.

Bob Lanier
09-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Rafer Alston is a better point guard than Andre Miller.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-19-2006, 01:17 AM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol You need to quit :drunk

DirkAB
09-19-2006, 11:12 AM

On the playground with prison rules in effect, maybe.

DirkAB
09-19-2006, 11:15 AM
It just shows how much he cares about himself.

I'd like to see what you would do when you are taking advice from a bad agent when you are trying to get your last paycheck. They don't play the game for just fun you know, they do have to put themselves and their families first.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2006, 12:11 PM
If he's only signing for a year deal then he becomes a much better deal. I think most of the concern for GM's has been that he just turned it on for a contract last year and he'll coast once he has it, but with this he'd still have that motivation.

He'd fit better with the Rockets. He's looking to show off to get that big payday and Houston can offer him more minutes, as their guard rotation is pretty thin (unlike Miami's) and there will be even more minutes and touches to go around when McGrady's back acts up. Plus his game fits better for Houston. Bonzi works well in the paint, using his size posting up and rebounding over most any swingman that is trying to guard him. Houston doesn't have a space eater in the paint like Shaq, so he'd actually have some room to work.

With Bonzi and Battier the Rockets could be pretty dangerous. They're a team that could be really dangerous if healthy in the playoffs, and with those two shouldering some of the load they might be able to find a way to get into the playoffs without riding McGrady straight into the ground. I'll make the call right now. If Bonzi goes to the Rockets they will go into the postseason with the title of "Dangerous 7th Seed."

RON ARTEST
09-19-2006, 01:22 PM
I'd like to see what you would do when you are taking advice from a bad agent when you are trying to get your last paycheck. They don't play the game for just fun you know, they do have to put themselves and their families first.
im still bitter that he got greedy, i still like him.

ponky
09-19-2006, 01:47 PM
even though it will just make our division tougher, i hope he signs with the rockets, i'd love to see them do well...uh, just not too well

Emily Rose
09-19-2006, 02:00 PM
What is next for the NBA? Maybe Cuban and the Mavs make a deal with the Spurs?? :drunk :drunk :drunk :flypig :flypig

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-19-2006, 03:02 PM
People need to look past Yao and Tmac. The rockets suck beyond those two and they never stay healthy.

If they stay healthy then of course they will be tough to beat but the reality is that they wont ever be healthy all season. The Rockets bench sucks and they have depth and this is what will hurt them in the end.

Battier and Wells wont be enough to take them far if Tmac or Yao is out

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
spurs_fan_in_exile

if they sign him and stay relatively healthy they are a top 4 team in the west

random order: spurs, mavs, suns, rockets. Of course, with home court and all, they probably finish 5th.

You're absolutely right, I just don't think that good health is in the cards for them. Yao's coming of a major foot injury and no matter how well rested McGrady's back is I don't think he's going to be able to go a full season without missing some stretches. With Wells and Battier though they might be good enough to be a .500 team instead of racking up huge losing streaks when he's out, and could give T-Mac some rest down the stretch at the end of the season.

Then factor in that they are playing in the toughest division in the NBA as well, with the Mavs and Spurs as legit title contenders and the Hornets and Griz could be in the hunt for playoff spots too. But that's why they play the games, right? I don't think there's a team in the league with a wider range of realistic potential outcomes for this season. Depending on a little luck one way or the other they could make a deep run in the playoffs or miss the postseason all together, and I wouldn't be surprised either way.

David Stern
09-20-2006, 12:58 AM
:madrun :madrun :depressed :pctoss :flipoff Bonzi Wells

lovespurs forever
09-20-2006, 03:08 AM
:drunk :oops