PDA

View Full Version : Dallas most dangerous big city

greywheel
09-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Dallas most dangerous big city (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15556106.htm), FBI says The Associated Press
NEW YORK — New York remained the safest of the nation's 10 largest cities in 2005 — with about one crime reported for every 37 people — while the large city with the highest crime rate was Dallas, according to FBI statistics.
The annual report "shows that our innovative efforts to reduce crime and increase New Yorkers' quality of life are working," New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement Monday after the agency released the figures.
Dallas had about one crime reported for every 12 people. Los Angeles, the nation's second largest city, ranked third safest, with about one crime for every 26 people.
San Jose took the no. 2 spot, while San Diego ranked fourth. Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, San Antonio and then Phoenix followed.
The number of reported crimes in New York fell 4.3 percent last year, while the number nationwide dropped 1.2 percent. Police statistics show crime in the city has continued to fall this year, down 5.04 percent by Sept. 10 compared with the same period in 2005.
The national figures showed that violent crime rose 2.3 percent last year, the first increase since 2001. But in New York City, violent crimes _ which include rape, murder, robbery and aggravated assault _ fell 1.9 percent.
__
Safety rankings of the nation's 10 largest cities

1. New York: one crime per 37.38 residents.
2. San Jose, Calif.: one crime per 34.46 residents.
3. Los Angeles: one crime per 25.97 residents.
4. San Diego: one crime per 24.09 residents.
5. Chicago: one crime per 21.9 residents.
6. Philadelphia: one crime per 17.96 residents.
7. Houston: one crime per 14.17 residents.
8. San Antonio: one crime per 14.12 residents.
9. Phoenix: one crime per 14.10 residents.
10. Dallas: one crime per 11.79 residents.

Dallas being listed as a dangerous city does not surprise me. But I am surprised that Houston was ranked higher than San Antonio.

Extra Stout
09-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Houston will be listed as the most dangerous city next year, thanks to the influx of Katrina refugees, who commit crimes at four to six times the rate of Houston's pre-existing inner-city population.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Houston will be listed as the most dangerous city next year, thanks to the influx of Katrina refugees, who commit crimes at four to six times the rate of Houston's pre-existing inner-city population.

Considering that for most of these people the FEMA checks have either stopped coming or will stop soon, you could be right.

101A
09-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Texas not looking so good on that list...

johnsmith
09-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Texas not looking so good on that list...

Texas never looks so good on any list.......Not to bash Texas because it's starting to grow on me, but let's face it, there is always at least two cities from Texas on nearly every negative "top 10" lists.

Extra Stout
09-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Texas never looks so good on any list.......Not to bash Texas because it's starting to grow on me, but let's face it, there is always at least two cities from Texas on nearly every negative "top 10" lists.
Well, on this particular list, Texas lands 3 cities in the top 10 because it has 3 of the 10 largest cities (not counting metro area).

It would be enlightening if the study included the top 30 or so metro areas, rather than the top 10 central cities.

It does not portend well for San Antonio, which makes up the lion's share of its own metro area, to have a crime rate that meets or exceeds that of central cities that do not have the suburban development within their limits that SA has.

johnsmith
09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Well, on this particular list, Texas lands 3 cities in the top 10 because it has 3 of the 10 largest cities (not counting metro area).

It would be enlightening if the study included the top 30 or so metro areas, rather than the top 10 central cities.

It does not portend well for San Antonio, which makes up the lion's share of its own metro area, to have a crime rate that meets or exceeds that of central cities that do not have the suburban development within their limits that SA has.

Good point.....

Extra Stout
09-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Other cities to note:

Atlanta: one crime per 11.15 residents
Austin: 15.38
Boston: 17.37
Charlotte: 12.42
Detroit: 11.98
Miami: 13.18
Portland: 13.02
Seattle: 12.17
St. Louis: 7.43
Washington, DC: 16.73

One weakness in these statistics is the lack of distinction between property crime and violent crime. A petty theft counts as one crime, and so does a murder. Detroit has a violent crime rate nearly four times that of San Antonio, but by this study one would think Detroit was safer.

Yonivore
09-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Other cities to note:

Atlanta: one crime per 11.15 residents
Austin: 15.38
Boston: 17.37
Charlotte: 12.42
Detroit: 11.98
Miami: 13.18
Portland: 13.02
Seattle: 12.17
St. Louis: 7.43
Washington, DC: 16.73

One weakness in these statistics is the lack of distinction between property crime and violent crime. A petty theft counts as one crime, and so does a murder. Detroit has a violent crime rate nearly four times that of San Antonio, but by this study one would think Detroit was safer.
Another weakness is that it doesn't account for serial criminals, career criminals, cities with large lawless areas (New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Houston) where crimes go unreported, etc...

In other words, this list means shit.

johnsmith
09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Opinions on the fattest cities in the country? You can't deny this.....

Extra Stout
09-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Opinions on the fattest cities in the country? You can't deny this.....
Oh, heck, San Antonio and New Orleans usually dominate that one.

The Men's Health survey that typically lists Houston at the top is actually measuring the fattest "lifestyles," as defined by the magazine, rather than actual BMI's. By their definition, a place peddling Philly cheesesteaks is selling "health food," while a Smoothie King is "junk food." I think they fiddle with the definitions to get the results they want.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Yonivore said: "...cities with large lawless areas (New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Houston)..."

Now, for once, I'm not opposed to anything Yoni has said, but I am curious. "Cities with large lawless areas" - isn't that a crazy concept!? Seems like you are all just used to it.

Would you say SA has a "large lawless area" in the south, south-west or inner east? When I was there I was told to stay out of those areas after dark.

This concept of "large lawless areas" in cities is totally foreign to me. In Australian cities there might be one or two subrubs you'd want to watch your back at night, but that's about it.

In Japan, you could be in the worst dump in Tokyo with $1000 bills stapled to your cap and no-one would touch you... I exaggerate not, it is that safe.

The UK was like the US though - plenty of "no go after dark" areas.

Just makes me realise how lucky I am to live where I do.

How many of you have been a victim of serious crime - let's say burglary/stolen car upwards? I've had my car stolen once, in Sydney, and been king-hit a few times when I was a young fool, but that's it.

smeagol
09-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Man, Sidney is beautiful. I was there twice ('88 and '92). NZ is also beautiful

boutons_
09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Oz is one of those few places in the world with some areas that are "Mediterranean", almost never below 30F, or above 85F, like San Diego, and the Med itself, esp southern Italy, Greece, Lebanon. In the latitude 30-33 degrees north or south with the moderation of a nearby coast. Canary Islands another one.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Sydney, dude, seriously. It is beautiful.

boutons - there's nowhere that's "almost never below 30C", although we do have a significant portion of the country in the tropics, so it's pretty warm most of the year.

I think you're talking about Adelaide, which is pretty closes to a Mediterranean climate, but the average winter temp there is 16C. Most of summer is well above 30C though, and days in the 40s aren't uncommon.

I was in Sydney last New Year's Day and it was 46C! Oh man, was it hot...

This year we have experienced the warmest, driest winter on record (going back about 150 yrs), and El Nino's back, so it's going to be a scorching summer. :depressed

Yonivore
09-19-2006, 11:14 PM
In Japan, you could be in the worst dump in Tokyo with $1000 bills stapled to your cap and no-one would touch you... I exaggerate not, it is that safe.
Ah, there are lawless areas of Tokyo as well. It's just not the same type of lawlessness, not anarchist. There are areas where the authorities are not in control and where crime is dealt with "locally" and rarely, if ever, reported.

Organized crime exists in Japan. And, while you may be able to walk around with a $1000 dollars stapled to your cap, you'd better not step on any toes while you're slumming around in shady Tokyo.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Yes, the Yakuza runs things, so the crime is organised. My point was more that random street crime is non-existent, and it is, because the Yakuza do nasty things to anyone who messes with their turf.

Don't worry, I wasn't idealizing Japan. But they do have the right idea on crime.