PDA

View Full Version : Darius Rice was waived today

Kori Ellis
10-27-2004, 04:03 PM
I would think the Spurs might take a look at him. Long 3 with a good outside shot.

timvp
10-27-2004, 04:04 PM
He can bomb from three, no question. Depending how high the Spurs are on Sato, they may give Rice a look.

Think bigger Wesley Person.

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Worth a look.

tlongII
10-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Rice would be a good fit for the Spurs. He can't rebound or play defense though.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2004, 05:51 PM
I think Pop's thoughts on Sato are a going to determine a lot of things in the next week or so.

exstatic
10-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Rice would be a good fit for the Spurs. He can't rebound or play defense though.

Does anyone else see a disconnect between these two statements? :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Just got home and saw this post. I think the Spurs need to claim him off waivers. I don't know who/if they need to cut someone to make it happen, but they need to do something if they can.

I saw him up and close when he played against A&M in college. Got great range, very long. Get him into the Spurs system, teach him how to play defense, get him about another 15-20 pounds of muscle, and he'd be a poor man's Lamar Odom.

He's pretty much a freak athletically, Spurs should take him and develop him.

Notorious H.O.P.
10-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I agree with AHF's assessment. I think he'd make a great project to stash on the IR and possibly make a late season debut depending how LJIII works out. Definitely lacks focus on defense and needs to improve his passing but those are skills that can be taught (to some extent), where as an athlete either has the physical tools to succeed or he doesn't. He has great range, can help space the floor and if he adds some weight, he has the height to handle the long 3s that would look to take shorter 3s into the post. His shooting percentages in college weren't stellar but that was as the primary scoring option. As the third or fourth option on offense, he should be able to alleviate some pressure and have some extra space to take his shot. Sato is a hard worker and everyone knows how much the Spurs value that, but between Manu, Barry and Brown, he doesn't have much of a chance to get on the court. The Spurs best option would be to pick someone up that would be more useful late in the season or next year. Could it be Rice? One important note to take in to consideration. The Spurs obviously wanted Sanikidze but had chances to draft Rice at 53 and 57. Several of us can see Rice growing into the Spurs system, but apparently the Spurs did not.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2004, 10:17 PM
He can shoot.

Sign him when he can do something else. Otherwise we would've picked Matt Freije.

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Dude he's related to Jerry Rice.