PDA

View Full Version : Bonzi to Houston? Do we care?

wildbill2u
09-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Free agent Wells talks with Rockets
Spending limit makes pursuing guard a long shot

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Free agent Bonzi Wells met with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and general manager Carroll Dawson on Monday at Toyota Center as the Rockets stepped up their long-shot pursuit of the veteran guard.

Though the Rockets are limited by the salary cap and some of their free-agent spending this summer, Wells has clearly not ruled out the Rockets while also considering the Nuggets, Heat and Bobcats.

(More at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4196635.html)

Clearly a guy who's overestimated his value in this league. He'll wind up somewhere, but not at the figures he was dreaming of.

atxrocker
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
if he ends up on a western conference team, everyone should care.

mavsfan1000
09-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Houston will be the best team in Texas next year.

j/k

SAtown
09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Houston will be the best team in Texas next year.

j/k

No, the Mavs are going to be the best team in Texas next year.

j/k

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Earlier in the summer I was opposed to a Bonzi signing with our MLE, primarily because, being the cancer he is, on his third strike, we might have been stuck with an untenable 5 yr contract and a guy we needed to ship out of the lockerroom. Also, he was never going to take the MLE, and adding another 8-10mil player made no sense, especially one with issues.

However, given the bargain zone he's put himself in, I've changed my mind.

We should be doing whatever we can to unload William's contract and whatever else we need to do (Barry? Oberto?) to clear 5-6 million/yr for 2 years, and offer it to Bonzi, with the understanding that he is the 6th man. He'd probably take that given the situation he's in. Even 7 mil for one yr would be fine. He's not the kind of player who sticks anywhere anyway.

FO, pull your finger out and GET ON IT!!!

LaMarcus Bryant
09-19-2006, 08:02 PM
the guy is a ethicless peice of shit that had a token good playoff season playing against old 30 something forwards, he was playing for a contract

the answer: no

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-19-2006, 08:54 PM
the guy is a ethicless peice of shit that had a token good playoff season playing against old 30 something forwards, he was playing for a contract

thats not the worst part. The worst part is that he got a decent contract (for who he is) and he said no and now he is screwed
:lol :smokin

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-19-2006, 09:00 PM
If he signs a one year deal he'll still be playing for a contract. Right now the teams in the running would be looking at getting a good behaving, hard working Bonzi for a bargain price as he spends next season trying to convince GM's that he's worth what he's been saying he is worth.

The gist of what I said on the NBA board was that Bonzi and Battier could give the Rockets a serviceable option for when McGrady's back acts up. Enough of one that they could be a .500 team for the stretches without him instead of a having massive losing streaks, possibly make the playoffs without riding McGrady straight into the ground. If they could make it into the playoffs with health on their side they would be pretty dangerous in a seven game series. Definitely not title contenders, but dangerous.

Fabbs
09-19-2006, 09:03 PM
If he will take a one year deal i say sign him for sure.

BERSERK
09-19-2006, 09:04 PM
While I'm also a minority of the idea that the Spurs should pick up Bonzi, I still think Bonzi will give the Spurs the killer instinct. Yes, he was playing for a contract last year but he'll learn his mistakes once he is on a winning team. I can't imagine Bonzi turning down an offer to play for the future champs. :king

Bonzi Wells can be the "Stephen Jackson" for this year!

THE SIXTH MAN
09-19-2006, 09:05 PM
How much is Bonzi asking for anyway?

BERSERK
09-19-2006, 09:06 PM
How much is Bonzi asking for anyway?

At this point, he'll have to play for the MLE or the mininum for at least 1 year. :blah

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with _exile.

Williams, who I like as a 12-15 minute backup for Bruce, is totally expendable given that he's in the final yr of his contract at 3.9mil. Trade him and one of our other scrubs for a trade exception and offer Bonzi 5-8mil for one year.

You get:
*hungry Bonzi playing for his last big contract,
*smart Bonzi who can't act up because he knows it will hurt his future,
*the impact of a high character team controlling his cancerous tendancies,
*ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP!

Seriously, how versatile does this team (assuming we also have to give up Bones) look:

TP/Beno/Jacque
Manu/Fin
Bruce/Bonzi
TD/Bonner/Horry
Butler/Elson

If we go small Bonzi can play the 4 cause the guy is big, can defend and rebound. Otherwise, he becomes leader of the second unit when TD is sitting. Responsibility might even sober him up!

Someone please explain to me why we're not all over this. It even gives us another year to look for our SF of the future. It works in every conceivable way (except that maybe Bonzi and Pop would hate each other).

Just Freakin DO IT!

Trainwreck2100
09-19-2006, 11:01 PM
no, unless he's gonna sign with the Texans and give Carr some help on the Offensive line

confined
09-19-2006, 11:02 PM

i agree...hes overrated...especially by himself...hes one of those players that used to be kinda good but then they get an ego and they start to suck...but the thing is...everyone still thinks hes good...hes a cancer and a 9th or 10th man at the most

examples: wells, kenyon martin, chris webber, peja stojacovic, antoine walker, steve fransis...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-19-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm not saying sign him to a long, cushy contract so he can go back to his Bad Bonzi ways. Give him 4-8mil (whatever we can work out with Williams + X) for one year.

He would add scoring and rebounding to the bench, and he's a big, athletic guy to throw at Dirk.

Makes sense to me.

SequSpur
09-19-2006, 11:55 PM
If all we get is 3 stiffs and a Bonner and houston gets Wells and Battier... I'm pissed.

Kori Ellis
09-19-2006, 11:56 PM
kenyon martin, chris webber, peja stojacovic, antoine walker, steve fransis...

Those guys are 9th or 10th men?

:lol

Kori Ellis
09-19-2006, 11:58 PM
People keep saying that he isn't really good, that he just had good playoff stats.

Ignore the playoff stats, he averaged 7.7 rpg in the regular season. Better than anyone on the Spurs outside Tim Duncan.

I'm not a huge Bonzi fan, but he will help whatever team he ends up with.

SequSpur
09-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Agree wholeheartedly with _exile.

Williams, who I like as a 12-15 minute backup for Bruce, is totally expendable given that he's in the final yr of his contract at 3.9mil. Trade him and one of our other scrubs for a trade exception and offer Bonzi 5-8mil for one year.

You get:
*hungry Bonzi playing for his last big contract,
*smart Bonzi who can't act up because he knows it will hurt his future,
*the impact of a high character team controlling his cancerous tendancies,
*ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP!

Seriously, how versatile does this team (assuming we also have to give up Bones) look:

TP/Beno/Jacque
Manu/Fin
Bruce/Bonzi
TD/Bonner/Horry
Butler/Elson

If we go small Bonzi can play the 4 cause the guy is big, can defend and rebound. Otherwise, he becomes leader of the second unit when TD is sitting. Responsibility might even sober him up!

Someone please explain to me why we're not all over this. It even gives us another year to look for our SF of the future. It works in every conceivable way (except that maybe Bonzi and Pop would hate each other).

Just Freakin DO IT!

You're a smart foreigner... Why can't the little boys in Holland be like you?

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-20-2006, 01:39 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/42269/20060920/bonzi_the_bobcat/

a Bobcat??!! LOL he is desperate :drunk

It would be hilarious if he signed there

THE SIXTH MAN
09-20-2006, 01:46 AM
His agent must be hard at work trying to generate this buzz for Bonzi.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-20-2006, 02:29 AM
His agent must be hard at work trying to generate this buzz for Bonzi.

Why? He's a quality player who has to land somewhere, and someone looks like getting a bargain and not having to commit to more than a year. That generates a buzz all by itself!

The only reason for us not being all over this has to be Pop. Bonzi is an undoubted cancer, but he strikes me as an SJax type who might respond well to Tim Duncan-style leadership... I mean, look at where he's been and caused trouble:
Memphis - no standout leadership.
Portland - the opposite of leadership.
Sacto - Ron Artest is the leader... woah!

One year is a no-risk proposition. Cut the guy a cheque for 6mil and improve our chances at the championship already!

THE SIXTH MAN
09-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Why? He's a quality player who has to land somewhere, and someone looks like getting a bargain and not having to commit to more than a year. That generates a buzz all by itself!

The only reason for us not being all over this has to be Pop. Bonzi is an undoubted cancer, but he strikes me as an SJax type who might respond well to Tim Duncan-style leadership... I mean, look at where he's been and caused trouble:
Memphis - no standout leadership.
Portland - the opposite of leadership.
Sacto - Ron Artest is the leader... woah!

One year is a no-risk proposition. Cut the guy a cheque for 6mil and improve our chances at the championship already!
What I meant was after his playoff performance he was looking to get paid. After all that no one bit because he was asking for more than his worth. Bonzi is now looking at having to get less than what hes asking for. All his agent has to do is leak or report on all these teams wanting him, you know kind of like a girl who orders flowers for her self and has them delivered in front of a guy she likes. Only to have that guy she likes up the ante a little by buying her more flowers. Training camp is around the corner and teams are looking for that last piece, the more it seems like a lot of teams want him the more a team has to offer to separate them selves from the rest.

Louis
09-20-2006, 02:44 AM
Best thing for him is to go to Houston..

Instant contender....

And of course: Spurs Killer!

Be afraid, be very afraid!!

THE SIXTH MAN
09-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Best thing for him is to go to Houston..

Instant contender....

And of course: Spurs Killer!

Be afraid, be very afraid!!
If you say it than it must be true. :rolleyes :idiot

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-20-2006, 02:50 AM
What I meant was after his playoff performance he was looking to get paid. After all that no one bit because he was asking for more than his worth. Bonzi is now looking at having to get less than what hes asking for. All his agent has to do is leak or report on all these teams wanting him, you know kind of like a girl who orders flowers for her self and has them delivered in front of a guy she likes. Only to have that guy she likes up the ante a little by buying her more flowers. Training camp is around the corner and teams are looking for that last piece, the more it seems like a lot of teams want him the more a team has to offer to separate them selves from the rest.

Fair enough.

Deveney reckons Denver can offer him 3mil and Houston 4.2mil through a sign and trade with Sacto. Of course, the Bobcats can offer him any price they feel like.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=129417

We should get in on this - S&T with the Kings sending back Williams and his expiring contract.

However, Deveney makes the good point that Bonzi will want to go somewhere he can showcase himself (=big stats) for a big contract next season. If he wants a ring though, he oughta hitch his wagon to us!

Louis
09-20-2006, 02:50 AM
If you say it than it must be true. :rolleyes :idiot

Are you going to deny he abused your soft spurs last year??

Nobody on your overrated squad couldn't do anything to stop him...

Dumbass!!

Louis
09-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Fair enough.

Deveney reckons Denver can offer him 3mil and Houston 4.2mil through a sign and trade with Sacto. Of course, the Bobcats can offer him any price they feel like.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=129417

We should get in on this - S&T with the Kings sending back Williams and his expiring contract.

However, Deveney makes the good point that Bonzi will want to go somewhere he can showcase himself (=big stats) for a big contract next season. If he wants a ring though, he oughta hitch his wagon to us!

The Spurs will never win a ring again..

Stop dreaming...

THE SIXTH MAN
09-20-2006, 02:53 AM

Dumbass!!
Who won the series DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louis
09-20-2006, 02:55 AM
A team effort was what won that series..

Individually

Bonzi beat your sorry ass players (Bowen, Manu, Finley)

THE SIXTH MAN
09-20-2006, 02:57 AM

Individually

:lol That's a weak comeback try again.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-20-2006, 02:58 AM
The ROCKETS will never win a ring again..

Stop dreaming...

FIXED

Louis
09-20-2006, 03:01 AM
FIXED

I know, I know it's hard to accept it..

Deep down, you know the Spurs are not the same, getting old, injury prone and weak.

Sad but true...

Better face it now.

lovespurs forever
09-20-2006, 03:02 AM

Individually

louis,make sure your team go to playoffs firist,then deaming ,ok?
and don't forget Michale James,maybe Wells is the next one.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-20-2006, 03:03 AM

Deep down, you know the Spurs are not the same, getting old, injury prone and weak.

Sad but true...

Better face it now.
Speaking of injury prone, will T-mac or Yao ever play a full NBA season?

ChumpDumper
09-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Did a Rocket fan just call some other team injury prone?

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

milkyway21
09-20-2006, 03:17 AM
correct me if I'm wrong but,

i remember this guy spit on someone's face once.
and it was a player in Spurs uniform, right?

hmmnn....

but i agree he can be a very good addition to any team he's in

ChumpDumper
09-20-2006, 03:20 AM
Why are we pretending he's available to us in a sign-and-trade?

Charlotte will pick him up to meet the minimum payroll and trade him later.

atxrocker
09-20-2006, 03:24 AM
the Spurs WILL NOT land bonzi.

that said, the rockets would be fuckin sick with wells in the line-up. i don't give a fuck what you try to say, an unhealthy houston team like this could upset a buncha folks...

Kori Ellis
09-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Who are the Rockets cutting? Don't they have 15 guys with guaranteed contracts?

Axl Van Dam
09-20-2006, 05:15 AM
:domokun If The Rockets do land Bonzi the next big issue to discuss is "Will T-Mac and Bonzi be able to co-exist?"

cherylsteele
09-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Did a Rocket fan just call some other team injury prone?

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
Not really a Rocket "fan"....just Louis/My Balls.

spursfaninla
09-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Bonzi would never come here because he wouldn't start.

Bonzi also would not want the pressure of the expectations of a championship team. Improving a team he can do. Helping a team like the spurs to a championship most likely would prove too much for his issue-filled mind.

That said he would really help us with rebounding, spelling Manu and guarding physical/big sf/sg.

Bruno
09-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Rockets main problem is that they have no bench at PF/C. They only have a 45 years old Mutembo and a 6'6" limited PF (Chuck Hayes). They can use Batier at PF but it won't work against PFs like Duncan.

bigdog
09-20-2006, 03:14 PM

Individually

TEAM efforts are supposed to win a series. not BONZI'S.

bigdog
09-20-2006, 03:17 PM

Sad but true...

Better face it now.

injury prone? look at the rockets..and you call the spurs "soft"...i would love to see Yao back down someone and dunk on him every game....if he ever gets healthy. the guy is weak as hell.....and T-Mac is never healthy either. IDIOT

ATX Spur
09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but,

i remember this guy spit on someone's face once.
and it was a player in Spurs uniform, right?

hmmnn....

but i agree he can be a very good addition to any team he's in

Yep you're right, it was Danny Ferry.

Hey maybe the Cavs will want to pick him up now?
:smokin

confined
09-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Those guys are 9th or 10th men?

:lol

no ...please read my post again...i said HE(bonzi) is a 9th or 10th...not those other guys...those guys r players that people still think r good but in reality theyre just bagage

AFBlue
09-20-2006, 05:23 PM

Sad but true...

Better face it now.

If the Spurs will never be the same, why were they not included in a recent ESPN series where sportswriters predicted the top 10 best teams sure to be in the cellar by 2010. Apparently some people think the Spurs have a shot to be contenders....oh and check back on the "old" Spurs when they have cap room in '08 to sign the next generation of superstars. Until then, we'll see....

wildbill2u
09-20-2006, 05:24 PM
1.bonzi would want to start. Do you see him moving out Manu?

2. Bonzi would want to showcase his play if he's on a one year contract so he'd get a better deal next year. He wouldn't give a rat's ass about listening to our sainted Tim about how to be a team player on the Spurs. That destroys team ball and grows a cancer in the lockerroom.

confined
09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
and 3. ud have to be a complete moron to sign him

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Dumbass!!

No, instead we let Bonzi have his way and shut down the rest of the team. That seemed to work seeing as we won the series.

I can't work out who's the bigger idiot, JonChow or Louis?

trueD
09-21-2006, 01:33 AM
It doesn't matter where Bonzi goes--whether he signs with Rockets, Bobcats, Spurs or whoever, he's headed for rude awakening territory under a coach who demands something more than just running at will.

Mark my words, it ain't gonna be an easy year for Bonzi.

Rescueone
09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
if he ends up on a western conference team, everyone should care.
Didn't he play for Sac last year? Sac is in the West.

RON ARTEST
09-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Didn't he play for Sac last year? Sac is in the West.
what does that have to do with people caring where he ends up THIS year? that was atx is talking about.

AdmiralMVP
09-21-2006, 06:40 PM
While I'm also a minority of the idea that the Spurs should pick up Bonzi, I still think Bonzi will give the Spurs the killer instinct. Yes, he was playing for a contract last year but he'll learn his mistakes once he is on a winning team. I can't imagine Bonzi turning down an offer to play for the future champs. :king

Bonzi Wells can be the "Stephen Jackson" for this year!

Yeah, I think with the vets on our team his negative influence would be minimized. Now if we didn't need that extra SF on our team, I'd say let him rot somewhere else.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I think with the vets on our team his negative influence would be minimized. Now if we didn't need that extra SF on our team, I'd say let him rot somewhere else.

Agreed. I really don't like the guy, but we do need a long SF, and he'd fill the role perfectly for a year. We should at least be making him an offer.

Anyway, not going to happen, so there ya go.

Fabbs
09-21-2006, 08:56 PM
What is the news out of Houston after meeting with Bunzi?

milkyway21
09-21-2006, 11:56 PM
What is the news out of Houston after meeting with Bunzi?i guess it didn't work out because why would his agent resumed exploring other options and talking to Heat who's offering Bonzi another option- $5.2 million mid-level and $1.8 million lower-level salary cap? :rolleyes

wildbill2u
09-22-2006, 12:32 PM
There hasn't been any buzz over here in Houston about Bonzi since that first and only article.

More stuff about Batier and the deal that brought him to Houston.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Bonzi for Barry

CubanMustGo
09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
ESPN insider:

Wells To Meet With Bobcats
Sep 21 - According to the Charlotte Observer, Bonzi Wells will visit the Bobcats today to discuss the possibility of signing with the team.

In related news ...

Merle Scott, Wells' new agent told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel Wednesday that he has talked to the Miami Heat.

"We've spoken to the Heat, yes," Scott told the newspaper. "And we will talk again. ... This is not going to be a one-horse race. ... We're at the mercy right now of when things happen."

Fabbs
09-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Wonder if Bunzi truly wants a shot at the title or is like most NBA players and will simply take the most cash? Are the Spurs too chincy to at least make an offer? Or do they think its too *crowded* at the GF with Manu, Barry and Fins so why bother?

Thanks for the Houston update and the absolute latest from espn insider.

Rescueone
09-25-2006, 04:15 PM
what does that have to do with people caring where he ends up THIS year? that was atx is talking about.

I don't give a shit where the dude ends up playing! I was commenting on him talking like Wells was in the Eastern Confrence last year! He played with Sac last year and got bounced by the Spurs!

mffl89
09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
I doubt Bonzi will average the same numbers on a Houston team since both Yao and Mcgrady are pretty good rebounders already and with the addition of Battier, Bonzi won't have the luxury of collecting all the rebounds. If Bonzi does go to Houston, I think he will end up being another Stromile Swift.

MajorMike
09-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Houston still has a basketball team?