PDA

View Full Version : Marc Spears Chat

TMTTRIO
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Marc Spears on TP, Manu, and TD
Chat with Marc Spears

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, Marc Spears will stop by to discuss ESPN.com's five-part series: NBA 2010. He'll be talking about what the NBA will look like just four short years from now. Who will be the stars? Which franchises will be the class of the league? These and many more questions.

Wednesday's question is: Who will supplant Dirk as the NBA's best international player?

Spears covers the NBA for The Denver Post and provides occasional content for ESPN.com.

Send in your questions now and join Brian in The Show on Wednesday at noon ET.

Spears Archive: Columns

SportsNation Buzzmaster: (12:01 PM ET ) We're getting Marc. Send in your NBA 2010 questions NOW!

SportsNation Buzzmaster: (12:03 PM ET ) Marc's here! Let's get going!

Josh (Winston Salem): Which international player will have the better carr. Tony Parker or Manu Ginobili?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:05 PM ET ) I think I'd have to say Parker, the main reason being that Tony is a lot younger. I think a lot of people forget that Manu played several years overseas before he got here. I think Manu is approaching 30, whereas Tony is just turning 24. I think when it's all said and done, Tony could be one of the best PGs in NBA history. When you're a really athletic player like Manu and turn 30, his athleticism will probably slide a little and may become more injury prone.

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:06 PM ET ) I still think Tony hasn't reached his potential, where Manu is as probably as good as he's going to be.

Eric (San Diego, CA): So.... will the Warriors finally reach the playoffs in 2010?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:07 PM ET ) Eric, I'm from the Bay Area. I grew up a Warriors fan and to me I call it the Chris Webber curse. Ever since they traded him, everything's gone wrong. Don Nelson has a three-year deal. I know the players are excited about playing for him. I don't see it this year, but maybe next year, I see the curse finally ending. How fitting, the guy that wanted Webber traded ending the curse.

Dave(Boston): We always hear about Sabonis in his prime, who is the best international player of all time that has never gotten his due?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:10 PM ET ) The best basketball player of all time international player that doesn't get his due is Brazilian Oscar Schmidt. He was like a Larry Bird type. During the 2002 championships, I got to interview him. I thought he was much smaller. He was a phenomenal scorer. If I'm not mistaken, he couldn't play in the NBA at the time in the 80's, because he wouldn't have been able to play for the national team anymore. He scored 49,000 points in his pro career. He was drafted by the Nets, but he declined all his NBA offers. He played in 5 Olympics. I always wonder how good he could have been if he wore an NBA uniform. He averaged 42 points in the 1988 Olympics.

Ben (Denver): So who will be the best Int'l player in 4 years, Darko? Don't be a homer and say Nene.

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:13 PM ET ) Ben, I hope you're enjoying the weather today in Denver. I actually think it's going to be Baby Shaq from Greece - Sofoklis Schortsanitis. I don't know how to say his name correctly. He was unbelievable. He was a great surprise during the World Championships for Greece. It looks like he could be a taller version of Charles Barkley. He's got a great upside if he can get his weight down. He's going to be a dominate force when he plays in the NBA which is driven by finesse players now. You're talking about a huge guy with athleticism.

Dan (Detroit): Marc, do you ever see the influx of international players wavering and perhaps being some sort of fad? Do you think the percentage of international players will ever fall or is the makeup of the NBA the way it is now pretty much how it will always be?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:15 PM ET ) I think it's going to continue to grow. A lot of people haven't noticed this, but not only has the number of white-american players a lot lower than maybe 10 years ago, but the number of african-american players is dropping too. I always see a large contingent of african-american players being in the NBA, but I always see more and more international players coming. There could be a point in time, not too far from now, where I think international players could make up a good percentage of the NBA.

James (OH): Which international plater will win MVP in the next few seasons?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:17 PM ET ) I think Dirk Nowitzki has the best shot. He would definitely be a preseason candidate. I guess Nash is technically an internationally player, but not a lot of people see him as that, being from Canada. I haven't quite given up on Yao Ming yet as having that kind of potential. I think we forget how young Yao is. He's only 26 years old. He still has a lot of basketball to be played. He averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds in an injury plagued season. This could be his breakout year. I could see maybe in 2-3 years Yao having the potential to be an MVP candidate.

Boomer (Toronto): What kind of career do you project for Andrea Bargnani?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:19 PM ET ) From what I hear about him, there's a lot of similarities to what I heard about Darko. Very tall, very skilled, great shooter, definitely has range. But I also heard that he's very soft. He's going to get a lot of playing time quickly with the Raptors. But I think he's going to face some of the same pressures that Darko faced. People definitely need to be patient with him. Darko is now coming along, but he came into the league with a team that was deep in talent. Bargnani is coming to a team that isn't deep, so he can get some time to play, but he'll also get exposed as well. I usually don't judge players until three years in. He's definitely talented.

Sam (Philly): which is more likely in 2010: sixers in the lottery or in the finals?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:22 PM ET ) I'd have to say Sixers in the lottery. It will be interesting to see how much longer Iverson is there. The way he plays, by 2010, his body might just be too beat up at that time to be the superstar that we're accustomed to seeing. I'm not sure if it's with Allen getting traded or Allen getting older. I think it would be in their best interests for them trading him now before it's too late. There was a time when the Sixers could move AI to the Nuggest for Andre Miller and Kenyon Martin. That might not be a good move for tickets, but those are two guys that could help your team. I think they'd still be a better team now than just Iverson and Webber. I think the franchise is in need for a dramatic change. It's all dependant on what happnens with Iverson. If they can trade him and get some good pieces, then they can be good. If they don't, and he just ages in a Sixers' uniform, then I expect them to be in the lottery.

Bill (AK): Any prospects in Asia?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:25 PM ET ) I think Asia, China in particular, is going to be because of the high level of people there with height, I think Asia is going to be a market that's going to get stronger and stronger. You probably won't see the effects for another 5 years. With the arrival of Yao Ming, basketball is one of their more popular sports over there. The next one to keep your eye on is Yi Jianlian, a 7-foot power forward from China. He could be a lottery pick next year. I think probably five years from now, maybe by 2010, there are going to be a lot more players coming into the NBA from Asia. Another player to keep an eye on is Sun Yue, a 6-9 swingman from China. He could be in the draft next year too. Asia will be more noticable in the draft, but probably more so in five years.

Willie (L.A.): Will Kobe still be with the Lakers in 2010???

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:28 PM ET ) Yeah. I do think Kobe Bryant will be a member of the Lakers in 2010. Kobe is still only 28. Still seems to be very much on top of his game. No decline. Obviously the owners made a strong statement by going with him over Shaq. Kobe is obviously the face of the Lakers. I don't see them even considering trading him. Even if they're not great he sells a lot of tickets and brings a level of excitement to the Lakers. They sell jerseys, they're on TV more than any other team. The media is always interested in them. The last Thursday before the All-Star game, they were one of the four teams that played. Regardless of how good the Clippers are, as long as Kobe's on the Lakers, he'll keep them more popular than the Clippers.

Karl (NY): Should the NBA limit the number of international players? Other countries only allow 2-3 American players on their teams.

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:30 PM ET ) No. No. I don't think so. Maybe that's a better argument for 2015-2020 as things change. Right now, there's still just a minority in the NBA. I think the thing about the NBA is each team's goal is to put the best team together to win. One time I was talking to David Stern and he said people don't care about the makeup of their team, just if they win. Where as I think a lot of teams overseas still have to have that local guy to sell tickets. They want to embrace the local guy.

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:30 PM ET ) But in the NBA it's about winning first, so I can't see that ever being a problem.

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:30 PM ET ) In 2015, ask me that again.

jeff (renton seattle, wa: will the league expand overseas and how soon

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:33 PM ET ) I think it's kind of dead now. I was actually really excited about the possibility before. In 2010, there was supposed to be a team overseas. I was really excited for the day when I could go overseas and cover a game in Paris or Madrid. But I just think it would be hard for travel and the players. It would be hard for a player to pack up and move to Paris or Italy. Over the last year or so, it seems like that whole possibility started to die. I wonder about Mexico City, if that could be a potential town. There's too much interest from towns like Vegas, Kansas City, San Jose. I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA sponsors a league overseas, but it wouldn't be the 'A' league NBA, maybe a B league.

Dan(MIA): Should there be anything done about the lack of fundamentals of American players vs. international players? Otherwise this might push out more American players from the NBA.

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:36 PM ET ) I agree that international players are more well rounded. But I think it starts with the grass roots of youth basketball. I played college basketball, but by the time I starting playing basketball, I was told I was a post player. So I only worked on my post skills, rebouding, blocking out. That's how a lot of American kids are taught. Overseas, they're taught everything, regardless of how tall you are. I was talking to a women who has a son that plays AAU and he was being told, here in 2006, to only work on his post skills. You need to teach kids everything. You're tall, so you learn post skills. You're small, so you learn guard skills. That's what we need to take from overseas is to teach our kids everything. It's not anyone's fault.

Landon(Boulder): Where do you see KG playing in 2010 and will he have a ring by then?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:38 PM ET ) I don't think he'll have a ring. If there is a place that he could be going, I heard rumors over the summer that the Lakers are interested in him. Maybe the Lakers in an effort to vault their franchise into an elite team to make a push to get KG at some point. There's always talk that the Knicks will get everybody, so there's a link there. The one thing with the Nuggets here in Denver is KG is neighbors in Malibu with Denver's owner. Maybe at some point, Kevin Garnett may push for a move, but until then, he'll stay. He is to them what Iverson is to the Sixers.

Eric (Raleigh NC): Will Raymond Felton be an elite PG in the next few years and do you see the Bobcatts regretting not taking Rudy Gay? (They would have been an awsome defensive and rebounding team with him)

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:41 PM ET ) The funny thing about Felton is No. 1, he had some injury problems last year and No. 2, he's on a team that is never on TV. I know their PR guy Scott Leighman is a big fan of his and tells me how great he is all the time. As a rookie he had good numbers. If healthy, the Bobcats could quickly be a playoff contender in the East. A healthy Okafor gets them there. Adam Morrison gets them there. Then a guy like Raymond Felton will get noticed. I have the NBA package, but I can't say I saw a lot of Bobcats games. But I think we'll definitely learn more about him this season.

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:43 PM ET ) As far as Rudy Gay is concerned, the Bobcats are in the mix for Bonzi Wells. They meet with him this week. Actually, if it was up to me, I would have drafted Morrison over Gay. I think he's going to be a fantastic scorer for them. I think he brings some needed toughness, some enthusiasm. As a player, a lot of fans in Charlotte will be excited to see him. I think Michael Jordan made a solid choice in Morrison. One thing to keep in mind is USA Basketball thought enough about Adam to put him on their roster. Rudy Gay didn't get that same offer.

Derrell(Jackson,TN): Who will be the best player in the league by 2010? I think it will be O.J Mayo

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:46 PM ET ) I'm going to have to disagree. I saw O.J. Mayo play in Vegas this summer and granted Bill Walker did not play and they probably played the best team in Vegas and from Southern California, and he really struggled. I kept in mind that is one game and I shouldn't judge him by that. By then, LeBron should be a strong player. Carmelo will be in his prime. D-Wade will still be good. Greg Oden will be a force. Howard will be tearing it up. While Mayo may be in the league by then, but there are a lot of other good players. O.J. Mayo's situation reminds me of a Sebastian Telfair, where there could end up being more hype than real. To me it's just really hard for small guards to go into the NBA and dominate. He's a slim guy. But then again, I need to see him again. It would probably be too much to think that he could be better than the other guys that are emerging in the NBA right now.

Zakk Beaverton,Oregon: Who will be the best team in 2010

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:48 PM ET ) In today's NBA, it's so hard to say. With free agency, with trades, with the draft, it's so far from now, it's really hard to say. In 2010, LeBron and Wade could switch teams. Wherever they stay or go, that could have an impact on the league. There's too much that could happen in four years to predict. In 2002, would you have thought that Shaq would be playing for the Miami Heat? Would you have thought that the Mavericks would be in the Finals with Dirk and not Nash? Things can change so dramatically in that time. I couldn't predict it even if I was the Mind Freak on TV.

Lee (Los Angeles): Marc, read you every day in the Post. How do you see the Nuggets season shakin this year? Will JR Smith provide the cure for the shooting woes? Any latest news on Bonzi coming to the Mile High city? Thanks

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:52 PM ET ) Well, JR Smith is getting rave, rave reviews. If they were to play a game tomorrow, Smith would be the starter. But it's obvious from the recent interest in Wells, maybe they're not totally comfortable with that yet. I do think that Smith could be the steal of the offseason. They're a team that's ready to make a push to become one of the elite teams in the league. To do that they need to solidify the shooting guard position. Right now, I'm starting to think Bonzi's not coming. A lot of teams are interested. Miami has some interest. Charlotte's supposed to visit with him. Right now, it looks like the odds are against him coming to Denver. If that's the case, I look for the Nuggets to make a move somewhere. Maybe trading one of their big men. They have a lot of reserve men to choose from.

Josh ( Winston Salem): Hi Marc I want to know what you think about Tim Duncan over the next three years. Was last season the beginning of the end. He is only 30 years old but Im not sure if his plantar facsitis or his baby ankle have much more in them. Thoughts?

SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:54 PM ET ) I think this offseason was good for him. He got a longer rest than expected. He didn't play for USA Basketball, the Spurs didn't go deep in the playoffs. I'm expecting a more refreshed Tim Duncan. After last season, he's going to have a chip on his shoulder. I expect Tim Duncan to rebound this time around. I think he's probably just beat up and the Spurs going far into the playoffs and playing a lot of basketball. Right now, I still like the Spurs better than anyone else. Remember it was one play that kept them from advancing.

ducks
09-20-2006, 01:17 PM
SportsNation Marc Spears: (12:06 PM ET ) I still think Tony hasn't reached his potential, where Manu is as probably as good as he's going to be.
yep nunfortunally about manu

ducks
09-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I think when it's all said and done, Tony could be one of the best PGs in NBA history.

oh oh :fro :hat

nkdlunch
09-20-2006, 01:37 PM
easy there. Tony got a looooooong way to go, he's still 3rd best player on his team.

FromWayDowntown
09-20-2006, 01:41 PM
easy there. Tony got a looooooong way to go, he's still 3rd best player on his team.

Curiously, he's paid like the 2nd best.

Nikos
09-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Curiously, he's paid like the 2nd best.

More upside considering his age obviously.

nkdlunch
09-20-2006, 01:53 PM
More upside considering his age obviously.

that + he's a PG

Solid D
09-20-2006, 02:24 PM
that + he's a PG

A PG who penetrates every chance he gets and hits the floor frequently. Tony has young legs, yet he still struggles with dragging legs in the 4th quarters of games.

He may end up being among a long list of great PGs, however, I don't know if his position offers any advantage healthwise.

nkdlunch
09-20-2006, 02:48 PM
He may end up being among a long list of great PGs, however, I don't know if his position offers any advantage healthwise.

I meant his position as PG puts him in advantage to ask more $$

Solid D
09-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I meant his position as PG puts him in advantage to ask more $$

I see. That's true.

ATX Spur
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
As far as having a better career, it's tough for me to think that Tony will have anything close to the success that Manu has enjoyed--in the Olympics, in the Euroleague. Tony's got a ways to go, though time is on his side.

ducks
09-20-2006, 03:28 PM
what would people say if tp got 5 nba rings

cheguevara
09-20-2006, 03:37 PM
what would people say if tp got 5 nba rings

they would say Duncan had one hell of a career and Parker was lucky he wasn't traded :smokin

gameFACE
09-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Tim was perfectly healthy when the season started last season. THEN came the plantar fascitis. The season before that he played on Team USA during the summer and won the championship on two shaky ankles.

All the rest during the summer doesn't guarantee anything.

RC's Boss
09-20-2006, 08:26 PM
As far as having a better career, it's tough for me to think that Tony will have anything close to the success that Manu has enjoyed--in the Olympics, in the Euroleague. Tony's got a ways to go, though time is on his side.
Maybe internationally Manu will have the better career, but Tony will have the better NBA career. And people tend to forget..... Those "tired 4th quarter legs" carried the worn down ones of Manu and Tim all year long!

RC's Boss
09-20-2006, 08:31 PM
A PG who penetrates every chance he gets and hits the floor frequently. Tony has young legs, yet he still struggles with dragging legs in the 4th quarters of games.

Him penetrating and the threat it poses for the other teams is what makes him valuble. Dirk is a 7footer w/ a fade away. No one tells him it shouldn't be done since his position is PF. I must quote Bill Russel again... "a great basketball player uses what abilities his body possesses better than others w/ those same capabilities. His advantage is speed, so why not use it???? :rolleyes

LaMarcus Bryant
09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Tony parker will NOT be one of the best pg's in history....he has one fucking skill and thats speed...his jumper needs/needed work, esp. after a broken finger. I garunfuckingtee you will see a ridiculous amount of tony parker clones *cough*devinharris*cough* pop up all over the place in the oncoming years, each speedy point guards taking advantage of the new/old(?) penetration rules. Tony Parkers will become a dime a dozen. It is at this poitn that the rules will either officially or unofficially change. Theres no fucking way a Dwyane Wade becomes finals mvp without an uproar if shaq is not on that team. If we see this trend continue, the rules will change to buffer this speedy pg effect.
Then, and only then, if tony continues excellence will he be a top history pg.