PDA

View Full Version : Group sues Redskins seeking closed-captioning

ducks
09-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Group sues Redskins seeking closed-captioning

GREENBELT, Md. (AP) - Advocates for the deaf are suing the Washington Redskins to get them to offer closed-captioning during games at FedEx Field.

The National Association of the Deaf filed the class-action lawsuit Aug. 31 in U.S. District Court in Greenbelt on behalf of three Maryland fans who regularly attend home games.
"Providing captioning is not rocket science; it is simple, and it is the right thing to do," Shane Feldman said in a statement. Feldman was joined in the suit by Paul Singleton and Brian M. Kelly.

They contend the team is violating the Americans With Disabilities Act by failing to provide captioning for the deaf and hearing-impaired. It asks the court to order the Redskins and stadium officials to provide and display captioning on scoreboards and video monitors for all announcements, plays and penalties.

NFL teams are not required by law to do so. Redskins spokesman Karl Swanson said the team considered a proposal to purchase captioning equipment, but the proposal was rejected by Feldman.

Feldman was concerned about a possible 10-minute delay, said Marc Charmatz, senior attorney with the National Association for the Deaf Law and Advocacy Center.
Swanson said the Redskins are considering providing deaf and hearing-impaired fans with 7-inch TVs that would pick up captioning in the stadium. He added that all emergency information is posted on the large screens and on TV monitors throughout the stadium.

Brutalis
09-20-2006, 05:15 PM
pretty fing stupid.

HEY IM SUEING SPURSTALK FOR NOT BEING IN SPANISH!

clambake
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Why read about the game when you can watch it instead!

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Advocates of a passing game should sue the Redskins, too.

mcornelio
09-21-2006, 11:37 AM
this might just be the stupidest shit, im suing the redskins if they put closed captioning on the tvs because i dont want to see the stupid captions

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2006, 11:56 AM
While I can agree that most people don't read a lot of what goes on during the game, I don't agree that this is a stupid idea.

I don't know what the size of the monitors at FedEx Field are, but I'm certain there can be a compromise made. I think I've seen it at Spurs games where announcements are written on the screen or along the club level monitors, so it can't be a whole lot to add a "Gametracker" like text screen describing the play.

And this isn't like fat people are suing to get the seats wider, these people have a disability/impairment/whatever you want to call it.

It's not a law and it shouldn't be, unless it's a strict violation of the ADA (and I'm no lawyer, though I'm sure FWD can weigh in when he logs on).

It's not pretty stupid like Brutalis and mcornelio and your "arguments" like merit.

TheSanityAnnex
09-21-2006, 01:40 PM
this might just be the stupidest shit, im suing the redskins if they put closed captioning on the tvs because i dont want to see the stupid captions

Someday you'll get in a car wreck and have a permanent disability and you'll be sent to the house I work at and I'll show your nonfunctioning vegatable ass this post and laugh in your face.

Melmart1
09-21-2006, 01:48 PM
mcornelio continues to show his ignorance. I spent almost every summer of my teenage years working at a camp for handicapped kids. You have NO idea what you are talking about, dumbfuck. This would cost very little and provide a great service for those who are impaired in some way, usually through no fault of their own. I can't believe that anybody would think this is a dumb idea. If idiots needed closed-captioning you would be fighting for this to happen.

TheSanityAnnex
09-21-2006, 01:54 PM
What's next mcornelio?
Take out the wheelchair ramps because they impede your path to the bathroom?
Remove the elevators because people should be able to walk up the stairs?
Eliminate handicapped parking at stadiums and make them park with everyone else? Hey, they are in wheelchairs, thats less tiring than walking right?
Why not just banned disabled people from coming to sporting events?
Or even better, why not just make them stay in their homes so you never have to see them and deal with any of their requests?

mcornelio
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
wow... i feel like shit. but regardless seriously. suing the washington redskins so they could put closed captioning is stupid.. i have understood that they where thinking of providing people with dissabilities with a 7 inch monitor with closed captioning @ the games, but do we really need to put closed captioning on all the monitors?

Melmart1
09-22-2006, 09:40 AM
How does closed captioning on the monitors on the field in Washington D.C. affect an idiot in the Dominican Republic? Why do you fucking care?

If anyone stares at the monitors so much that their enjoyment of the game is hurt by some closed captioning, then they need to give up their tickets to a REAL fucking fan. Period.

TheSanityAnnex
09-22-2006, 06:10 PM
How does closed captioning on the monitors on the field in Washington D.C. affect an idiot in the Dominican Republic?:lmao

PixelPusher
09-23-2006, 12:26 AM
What's this? A lawsuit for closed captioning? How come I never heard anything about this? [/LAME JOKE]

Guru of Nothing
09-23-2006, 08:30 AM
They should install close-captioning and have it emulate Joe Theisman so that the deaf can suffer with the rest of us.