PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Ely

RON ARTEST
09-21-2006, 12:24 AM
sorry if this has been posted already but i was wondering if you guys have been interested in him and if you would want him playing with duncan while tim plays center. i saw on hoopshype that the suns and warriors are interested in him.

ChumpDumper
09-21-2006, 12:26 AM
We have twenty power forwards as it is and the 'cats don't want anything from us in trade except Duncan.

RON ARTEST
09-21-2006, 12:27 AM
yeah they already have elson and butler, what the hell was i thinking? sorry.

ChumpDumper
09-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, Ely would be nice -- but it's a nonstarter for us.

JamStone
09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't think the Spurs would deal for him, but I think Ely is better than both Butler and Elson, so I think he WOULD be a starter for the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
09-21-2006, 09:00 AM
ely+brezec, they can have who ever they want thats on the bench

MrChug
09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't think the Spurs would deal for him, but I think Ely is better than both Butler and Elson, so I think he WOULD be a starter for the Spurs.

Well documented. Tim Duncan does NOT want to play center. He will find himself as the primary "big" when Pop goes smaller, but does not want to start on a nightly basis against the Shaq's and Yao's of the world. He's far more efficient as a PF.

JamStone
09-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Melvin Ely can play center and has the size enough to play center. And, he stays in the post. He might be better suited to play power forward, but Ely has played center and is more than capable of playing that position. And, even if you think he's a power forward, he's still better than both Elson and Butler, in my opinion.

gus
09-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Well documented. Tim Duncan does NOT want to play center. He will find himself as the primary "big" when Pop goes smaller, but does not want to start on a nightly basis against the Shaq's and Yao's of the world. He's far more efficient as a PF.

Duncan is getting old and slow to play PF and his bankshot does not fall anymore. As a center he kicks ass.

Gus

dbestpro
09-21-2006, 10:39 AM

Ely is a better power foward, but he is not a better center than Butler.

JamStone
09-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Ely is a better power foward, but he is not a better center than Butler.

Based on what?

That's your opinion. My opinion is that Ely is a better center than Butler.

They are actually about the same size (6-10, 260).

And, Ely has proven much more than Butler.

I assume you are HOPING that Butler is a better center. But, there is very little if any evidence that Butler is a better center. Ely actually can score in the post rather than just getting offensive rebound putbacks. Ely rebounds adequately and his numbers aren't skewed by almost exclusively playing at the end of games in garbage minutes that pads his stats.

If you can offer some sort of explanation and/or evidence that Butler is a better center other than you hope he is, I'd love to read it.

ChumpDumper
09-21-2006, 11:16 AM
One would hope Ely has proven more than Butler since he's seven years older and played four years of Division 1 ball before his four years in the NBA, but the truth is he really hasn't proven much at all as an NBA player. What is his upside at 28? How much is anyone supposed to pay for that kind of speculation? There's a reason Butler has a contract now and Ely does not. Seriously, did anyone think when he was drafted that Ely would only have started 48 games by now?

I hold suspect any young player Elgin Baylor trades for essentially nothing. He's had a fairly impressive record knowing whom to keep lately.

JamStone
09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
So based on "upside" or "potential" and the fact that he is younger, Jackie Butler is the better center. Very convincing argument. :rolleyes

edit: And, oh, I'm not saying Ely is a great center by any means. I'm just saying he's a better center than either Elson or Butler.

ChumpDumper
09-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Where did I say Butler was better?

:rolleyes

my2sons
09-21-2006, 02:07 PM
So based on "upside" or "potential" and the fact that he is younger, Jackie Butler is the better center. Very convincing argument. :rolleyes

edit: And, oh, I'm not saying Ely is a great center by any means. I'm just saying he's a better center than either Elson or Butler.

I guess the better answer is that the spurs are already financially locked into elson and butler and there is not much room left for another big in the lineup with the existing bigs and the additions of elson and butler. the spurs still have some other holes to fill. so it looks like the chips will lean on potential rather than an nba proven vet be it a bench vet.

JamStone
09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Where did I say Butler was better?

:rolleyes

Nowhere directly, but you made inferences when you said "there's a reason Butler has a contract now and Ely does not."

And, seeing as it responded to my post in which I make an argument that Ely is better than Butler, I used deductive reasoning that that is what you were getting at.

At any rate, Elgin Baylor traded Melvin Ely AND Eddie House for basically nothing IN ORDER TO make capspace for KOBE BRYANT. You have to understand the situation before making a conclusion of what it looks like strictly on paper. Baylor cleaned house as much as possible in order to offer Kobe the most money the Clippers could under the CBA. Knowing that, you would understand the move better even if it cost the Clippers in the end.

I'm not saying Ely was extremely valuable to the Clippers. But, if Baylor knew for a fact that Kobe was going to re-sign with the Lakers, I find it very unlikely Baylor would have given Ely up for basically nothing.

That's a little bit of info you should know before saying Baylor gave Ely up for essentially nothing.

ChumpDumper
09-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Nowhere directly, but you made inferences when you said "there's a reason Butler has a contract now and Ely does not."Actually you made the inference, which was a false one. It was much easier for teams to make a contract decision on Butler. Much less so with Ely given the fact he hasn't really done much as an NBA basketball player; i.e., can anybody really say he's worth much more than his qualifying offer at this point?
And, seeing as it responded to my post in which I make an argument that Ely is better than Butler, I used deductive reasoning that that is what you were getting at.If I think Butler is a better player, I'll say it. I currently don't, but his was a much easier signing given the positions of the Spurs and the Knicks.
At any rate, Elgin Baylor traded Melvin Ely AND Eddie House for basically nothing IN ORDER TO make capspace for KOBE BRYANT. You have to understand the situation before making a conclusion of what it looks like strictly on paper. Baylor cleaned house as much as possible in order to offer Kobe the most money the Clippers could under the CBA. Knowing that, you would understand the move better even if it cost the Clippers in the end.It's very easy to understand: Ely, a former lottery pick, was expendable.
That's a little bit of info you should know before saying Baylor gave Ely up for essentially nothing.Ok, he gave him up for Daniel Ewing.

Or Paul Davis.
I'm not saying Ely was extremely valuable to the Clippers.I'm inferring you agree with me.

Thanks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-21-2006, 08:01 PM
How about Ely for Oberto? :lol

I'd like him on the team, but it ain't gonna happen.

JamStone
09-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Actually you made the inference, which was a false one. It was much easier for teams to make a contract decision on Butler. Much less so with Ely given the fact he hasn't really done much as an NBA basketball player; i.e., can anybody really say he's worth much more than his qualifying offer at this point?If I think Butler is a better player, I'll say it. I currently don't, but his was a much easier signing given the positions of the Spurs and the Knicks.It's very easy to understand: Ely, a former lottery pick, was expendable.Ok, he gave him up for Daniel Ewing.

Or Paul Davis.I'm inferring you agree with me.

Thanks.

LMAO

You feel better now?