PDA

View Full Version : The San Antonio Spurs cap situation

baseline bum
05-16-2004, 02:32 PM
The Spurs are looking at having a little over $34 million in commited salaries this summer, assuming Horry's option is not picked up and Ward decides to stay in town another year to make $1.1 million for keeping the gatorade cold. I'm thinking Manu takes about $6 million starting in a deal and the team will need to give him a $50-$55 million contract to keep him. Therefore, the team is looking at having $4 or $5 million to play with most likely.

I'd love to get a good point guard, but it looks like we'll have to hope Ward finds his game with a training camp and a full season in the Spurs system.

Scola will be in, and should take about $1.5 - $2 million. The team's most pressing need is therefore another swing player. Bowen will be in the last year of his deal. I'd love to get Jack back, but with at best $3.5 million to offer I don't see it happening unless RC can work a sign and trade involving Turkoglu (since the Spurs have Full Bird Rights on him)... maybe work a 3-way deal with Chicago or something.

Brodels
05-16-2004, 02:38 PM
My figures in the "point guard" thread are a little different, but it's all similar in the end.

They might still have a shot at SJax. It's not clear that anyone is going to offer him the $ he's looking for, and although he probably won't take less to play in SA, he certainly enjoyed playing there.

We'll see what happens. SJax is about the best the Spurs will be able to do. There is a small chance he could still come.

beip1128
05-16-2004, 02:41 PM
but spurs will prolly pickup horry's option. and why would ward not want to go to a team like newjersey who could offer him the same money and playing time. and be back with his family. than that gives us another 6mil to use than that means after resigning manu, we will still have about 10mil to use.

Whottt
05-16-2004, 02:48 PM
I don't think Ward will return. And I don't think he's ever going to find his game again, because he is simply to slow to defend many other PG's in the league.

I think he's going to leave to get more playing time and some team will be interested in his leadership abilities.

It's kind of a shame that we never put Ward to the test in the post season to see if he could hit clutch shots.

As for other PG's...I don' think we'll be able to get Barry and I recall the Spurs were real high on a russian PG last summer that ended up playing in Israel this season.

I thought Alex Garcia was supposed to be good?

Swingman should be our top priority.

T Park Num 9
05-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Id like to see a deal involving Rasho and Hedo going to Chicago to clear space. or invloving Eddy Curry.

Id give Stephen Jackson whatever he wants.

Mark in Austin
05-16-2004, 02:49 PM
the Spurs will not Pick up Horry's option.

baseline bum
05-16-2004, 02:50 PM
The figures assume the Spurs do not pick up the option on Horry (i.e., they give him the pink slip). The number I came up with assumed the Spurs don't pay Horry next year.

Whottt
05-16-2004, 02:51 PM
but spurs will prolly pickup horry's option.

We signed Horry because of "The Shot", he's still a pretty good player, but he's not worth 5 million a year if he no longer wields "The Shot".

Mark in Austin
05-16-2004, 02:53 PM
NBA free agents

From staff reports
I got this here (http://www.thestate.com/mld/charlotte/sports/basketball/nba/charlotte_bobcats/8542242.htm)

NBA free agents and potential free agents for the summer of 2004:

RESTRICTED
(typically, players with four seasons or less of NBA experience)
Courtney Alexander, Hornets
Chris Anderson, Nuggets
Robert Archibald, Raptors
Carlos Arroyo, Jazz
Matt Barnes, Clippers
Lonny Baxter, Wizards
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje, Cavaliers
Michael Bradley, Hawks
J.R. Bremer, Warriors
Jamison Brewer, Pacers
Ernest Brown, Celtics
Rasual Butler, Heat
Maurice Carter, Hornets
Jarron Collins, Jazz
Jamal Crawford, Bulls
Marquis Daniels, Mavericks
Keyon Dooling, Clippers
Ronald Dupree, Bulls
Obinna Ekezie, Hawks
Desmond Ferguson, Blazers
Marcus Fizer, Bulls
Richie Frahm, Sonics
Alex Garcia, Spurs
Manu Ginobili, Spurs
Gordan Giricek, Jazz
Jason Hart, Spurs
Trenton Hassell, T'Wolves
Britton Johnsen, Magic
Linton Johnson, Bulls
Kenyon Martin, Nets
Chris Mihm, Celtics
Darius Miles, Blazers
Josh Moore, Clippers
Mehmet Okur, Pistons
Jannero Pargo, Bulls
Morris Peterson, Raptors
Joel Przybilla, Hawks
Zeljko Rebraca, Hawks
Quentin Richardson, Clippers
Paul Shirley, Bulls
Bobby Simmons, Clippers
Tamar Slay, Nets
Leon Smith, Sonics
Darius Songaila, Kings
DeShawn Stevenson, Magic
Stromile Swift, Grizzlies
Etan Thomas, Wizards
Jeff Trepagnier, Nuggets
Jake Tsakalidis, Grizzlies
Hidayet Turkoglu, Spurs
Mike Wilks, Rockets
Maurice Williams, Jazz
Loren Woods, Heat

UNRESTRICTED
Rafer Alston, Heat
Kenny Anderson, Pacers
Stacey Augmon, Hornets
Brandon Armstrong, Nets
Vin Baker, Knicks
Brent Barry, Sonics
Jon Barry, Nuggets
Travis Best, Mavericks
Corie Blount, Raptors
Rodney Buford, Kings
Mitchell Butler, Wizards
Brian Cardinal, Warriors
Calbert Cheaney, Warriors
Keon Clark, Suns
Omar Cook, Blazers
Michael Curry, Raptors
Hubert Davis, Nets
Derrick Dial, Magic
Vlade Divac, Kings
Michael Doleac, Nuggets
Adonal Foyle, Warriors
Tremaine Fowlkes, Pistons
Kendall Gill, Bulls
Dion Glover, Raptors
Horace Grant, Lakers
Tom Gugliotta, Jazz
Darvin Ham, Pistons
Zendon Hamilton, 76ers
Donnell Harvey, Suns
Fred Hoiberg, T'Wolves
Lindsey Hunter, Pistons
Steven Hunter, Magic
Mark Jackson, Rockets
Mike James, Pistons
Avery Johnson, Warriors
DerMarr Johnson, Knicks
Damon Jones, Bucks
Brevin Knight, Bucks
Toni Kukoc, Bucks
Sean Marks, Spurs
Tony Massenburg, Kings
Darrick Martin, T'Wolves
Amal McCaskill, 76ers
Antonio McDyess, Suns
Stanislav Medvedenko, Lakers
Oliver Miller, T'Wolves
Mikki Moore, Jazz
Lee Nailon, Cavaliers
Mamadou N'diaye, Hawks
Greg Ostertag, Jazz
Doug Overton, Clippers
Scott Padgett, Rockets
Wesley Person, Hawks
Mark Pope, Nuggets
Sean Rooks, Magic
Michael Ruffin, Jazz
Ansu Sesay, Sonics
Jabari Smith, Kings
Steve Smith, Hornets
Rod Strickland, Raptors
Robert Traylor, Hornets
Gary Trent, T'Wolves
Jacque Vaughn, Hawks
Samaki Walker, Heat
John Wallace, Heat
Rasheed Wallace, Pistons
Rodney White, Nuggets
Chris Whitney, Wizards
Eric Williams, Cavaliers
Scott Williams, Mavericks
Shammond Williams, Hornets
Wang Zhi Zhi, Heat

TEAM OPTIONS
(team has choice to terminate contract or enforce it for next season)
Carlos Boozer, Cavaliers
Robert Horry, Spurs

PLAYER OPTIONS
(player can choose to terminate next season - the final one - and become a free agent)
Bruce Bowen, Spurs
Troy Hudson, T'Wolves
Karl Malone, Lakers
Zaza Pachulia, Magic (he would be restricted)
Gary Payton, Lakers
Anthony Peeler, Kings
Brian Skinner, Bucks
Charlie Ward, Spurs

EARLY TERMINATION
(player can terminate the remainder of his contract which has one or more seasons remaining)
Kobe Bryant, Lakers
Marcus Camby, Nuggets
Erick Dampier, Warriors
Derek Fisher, Lakers
Penny Hardaway, Knicks
Steve Nash, Mavericks
Vitaly Potapenko, Sonics
Latrell Sprewell, T'Wolves
Nick Van Exel, Warriors
Antoine Walker, Mavericks

beip1128
05-16-2004, 02:57 PM
speaking of chicago's interest in hedo. maybe we could sign and trade him for tyson chandler. cuz i don think chicago would trade eddy curry. tyson chandler could be the athletic big to come of the bench for us.

Whottt
05-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Latrell Sprewell, T'Wolves
Nick Van Exel, Warriors

Hmmmm

baseline bum
05-16-2004, 03:01 PM
I don't want Chandler. With Scola coming I'm very happy with our front line, Rasho definitely included.

E20
05-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah Nick van Exel would really help us he can make baskets when it counts and excellent free throw shooter but his legs might be a bit to old to play hard D. It would be tite if we nailed Rasheed Wallace. He doesn't have a problem to be the 2nd star how much are the pistons paying him. Also Baseline bum what does

Me cago en la leche de la puta madre de Kobe Bryant

and

This mean

Me cago en Kobe Bryant
I'm really curious.

T Park Num 9
05-16-2004, 03:08 PM
The names that jump out to me,

Derek Fisher
Nick Van Exel.

The only way Fisher would terminate I think, is if he could get more money, wich I doubt, cuas ehe probobly is getting alot of money right now.

But Van Exel, damn, we could use that cat.

Whottt
05-16-2004, 03:14 PM
No, Derek Fisher must be punished for his transgressions against the Spurs and their fans.

He must not be signed, he must be defeated.

Edit: Jon Barry jumped out to me. He's pretty clutch, more clutch than Brent I think.

exstatic
05-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I believe that NVE has a player option for like $11M. NO WAY he walks away from that, even if it means another year in hell...er, GS.

Whottt
05-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Is there any way possible we could get Spreewell?

Brodels
05-16-2004, 03:46 PM
I too am relatively happy with the front line. I think Rasho was a puss in the Lakers series, but serviceable centers are hard to find and I don't think the Spurs are going to do any better. They can only keep working with him and hope that his toughness improves. He can work in the Spurs' scheme with a little more work.

There really aren't a lot of PGs available, so I'm happy with a vet minimum guy like Kenny Anderson. Speedy was obtained in a trade. Maybe Pop can pull something like that off again. And Garcia could warrant a look. Jon Barry, as someone else mentioned, would be a fine choice. I just don't want the team to spend too much money on a backup point guard. Anything more than the vet minimum is too much.

And hey, Chris Whitney is a free agent. Since Whitney > Parker, we could bring Whitney in and have Parker be the backup.

The Spurs might have enough money to add one solid player that can really make a difference. I would prefer to see the Spurs spend that on addressing their biggest need: a secondary scorer. They won't have a lot to spend, but SJax is a possibility. With a lineup of Parker, SJax, Manu, Duncan, and somebody else to finish games, the Spurs will compete in the playoffs.

Say goodbye to Hedo. Make SJax and offer. Bring back Willis and maybe Horry for the vet minimum. If Horry doesn't come back, find a cheap replacement. Sign a point guard. Sounds like a plan to me.

Adding SJax isn't going to magically make the team better, but they don't really have a whole lot of money to spend or talent that they are willing to trade. Put him on the team and give Parker and Manu another year to grow and the team will contend again.

Nikos
05-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Is there any way possible we could get Spreewell?

Out of curioisity, why do you want Sprewell?

Marcus Bryant
05-16-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't see Horry coming back unless the Spurs opt out of the 2nd year and agree to a 2 or 3 year deal with him starting at a reduced amount.

Whottt
05-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Out of curioisity, why do you want Sprewell?

It's not like I am dead set on getting him or anything, it's obvious he had a huge decline as a player. Just thinking about it is all, but since you asked, game 5 of the 99 NBA Finals is why I would consider it.

I don't think he'll opt out of his current deal because he won't get offered as much money, but I wouldn't have mided having him last night.

ShoogarBear
05-16-2004, 04:24 PM
If Malik and Horry both go, we should look seriously at Brian Cardinal. He's 6'8", a bruiser, and hits 44% from 3pt land.
He also shoots 88% from the FT line, but our coaching will fix that.

I don't see Rasheed going anywhere, but is certainly worth considering.

Rafer Alston should definitely be looked at.

Maybe Wesley Person and Fred Hoiberg?

Nikos
05-16-2004, 04:25 PM
I say this because Sprewell is not really a shooter.

His open looks wouldn't really guaruntee anything. He is a poor 3pt shooter, inefficient scorer. He brings solid defense, can score in bunches -- but he would need 20 shots to score 20pts. He is very inconsistent these days.

Just my opinion.

Whottt
05-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Nikos, I am in favor of anything that improves our consistency on offense. Spree is an upgrade over Hedo. It's just idle thought though, he is much too expensive and unlikely to opt out of his deal.

The only reason I brought it up is because, if for some reason he were to opt out, Pop would definitely be interested in signing him and I imagine he would give the Spurs a lot of consideration.

If he were to opt out and he wasn't able to get the contract he was looking for, I think there is a chance he would sign with us at bargain rates.

The reason I asked what anyone else thought is because I wanted to know if the capologists thought there was anyway possible he might misjudge the market and opt out.

ducks
05-16-2004, 05:31 PM
spree is as streaking as manu is on his shot
manu can do other things
I do not want 2 streaking shooters.

ps brown is going to be back.

Marcus Bryant
05-16-2004, 05:55 PM
I like the idea of Cardinal but the Spurs need to be thinking about adding some real muscle to play alongside TD. Cardinal off the bench would be nice if you lose Rose.

Russ
05-16-2004, 06:35 PM
but spurs will prolly pickup horry's option.
I think that is unlikely.

Especially since Pop refused to allow Horry to board the team plane back to SA. :eyebrow

T Park Num 9
05-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Is that true russ, or are you kidding.

SickDSM
05-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Spree is an older version of manu IMO. The difference in spree and manu is like Rasho and david. Spree knows when to do certain things, when to take over, etc... Not only is spree something like the top 80 alltime scorers but he's also either top 50 or 25 in 3 pt makes. Theres a reason why Pop wanted him.

KoriEllis
05-16-2004, 08:11 PM
After the game last night, they said that Bowen had a player option. Does he?

I always thought (and I thought I'd verified) that there's no options on Bowen -- he just has one more year.

Marcus Bryant
05-16-2004, 08:19 PM
There might be an option on Bowen

aggie93
05-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Spree and Van Exel are not realistic. Both have player options paying them something like $13-15 million. Sprewell is also playing next to Garnett and Cassell, why in hell would he not come back? NVE would be lucky to make half or a third of his current salary on the market so you can forget about him as well.

I like the idea of getting a shooter, especially one that has proven they can come off the bench cold and start draining open looks. I don't really see a need for a backup PG. I think the Parker/Hart/Manu rotation works awfully well. The weakness is having a dead eye shooter ala Steve Kerr. Personally I think we should offer anything but Duncan, Parker, and possibly Manu for McGrady or Allen. Either of those guys would make the Spurs close to unbeatable irregardless of the rest of the rotation. That would leave the Spurs with an All Star level player as a big, perimeter player, and point allowing them to score at will and spread the floor.

shafin
05-24-2004, 04:44 AM
What was wrong with Jason Hart? I think that he did a pretty good job when he was out on the court. Given the time at the training camp he might work out as backup point sharing the role woth Manu, provided Manu resigns. Rasho will definetely improve as he spends more time with the Spurs and at training camp. Rose should try and be traded or hope that the Bobcats pick him up. Why not invest in a good shooter? Maybe Fred Hoiberg or Wesley Person. Hioberg won't be to hard on the wallet. The Spurs could also try and go for Marquis Daniels or Gordon Giricek. Rasheed Wallace would fit in perfectly with Duncan at small forward, and being at San Antonio would do wonders for his bad boy image, but at best this is a very distant possibility.

STALINGRADSFINESTONE
07-08-2004, 09:13 AM
yeah i have to agree with you shafin. they need a good shooter

hoopforums.cjb.net

lilshorty136
07-17-2004, 02:57 AM
I think that RASHO should go to the bulls... and i think Duncan should go to the WOLVES then they'll have a double MVP thing goin there.. how tight would that be??:spin