PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2010: Which player shall rise from mediocrity? Beno!

PlaneFast
09-21-2006, 11:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=nba2010_breakout

Brian Windhorst, Akron Beacon Journal: Keep an eye on two young point guards who have been overlooked for different reasons: Raymond Felton and Beno Udrih.

Udrih lost most of his playing time last season when the Spurs decided to add Nick Van Exel to back up Tony Parker. That won't be the case this year.

Udrih was solid as rookie two years ago, playing 80 games for the world champs (last season he played just 56). Left-handed with good size (6-3, 200) and world-class point guard skills, he always seems to make the correct decisions with the ball. He won't put up huge numbers until he's running his own team but there are more than a few GMs who would love to give him that chance someday.

MajorMike
09-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Go Manpurse!!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Well, he's in the last year of his contract. Hopefully he's picked up on the NBA's long standing tradition of getting your shit together in order to get paid.

davi78239
09-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Come on Beno!! You got potential boy! I want this guy as a solid backup to TP and not wanna have to risk getting some older guy like Vaghun in the future.

boutons_
09-21-2006, 12:37 PM
isn't his rookie contract 4 years and $900K/year? has it been 4 years already?

TDMVPDPOY
09-21-2006, 12:42 PM
beno udrih deserves better, should ask to be traded!

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
isn't his rookie contract 4 years and $900K/year? has it been 4 years already?

My bad, I thought he had a three year deal. Still, dude needs to get it together and break a friggin' press.

boutons_
09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Agreed, I really believe Beno is better than we've seen. It's up to Beno to grab the opportunity. He can't hide behind the rookie's culture shock of coming to the USA or not knowing the Spurs' system.

Sticking him behind poor ol' broken down NVE for a season hindered Beno's development. I wonder if Pop has already given up on Beno, is keeping him around as a cheap 3rd PG, and will stick him at 3rd again this season behind somebody else?

Had Pop leaned on Beno for his first two years the way Pop leaned on Tony, I wonder how much farther along Beno would be? Of course, Pop can't devout as much energy to a backup PG now that he has his starting PG.

ChumpDumper
09-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Felton broke out last year.

If Beno gets beaten out by Jacques Vaughn, he needs to be waived.

gospursgojas
09-21-2006, 02:59 PM
:rolleyes

Yeah right. We'll see

angel_luv
09-21-2006, 03:42 PM
I really want to see Beno given steady minutes and a legitimate chance this year. I think he will seize the opportunity and do great.

Let Beno play. You can quote me to Pop. :)

CubanMustGo
09-21-2006, 04:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=nba2010_breakout

Udrih was solid as rookie two years ago, playing 80 games for the world champs (last season he played just 56). Left-handed with good size (6-3, 200) and world-class point guard skills, he always seems to make the correct decisions with the ball

WTF kind of Spurs games has this dude been watching?? Forcing the ball into traps and losing it seemingly every time there is token pressure are hardly "the correct decisions."

Maybe in another universe there exists a no-choke Beno, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2006, 04:10 PM
We need an 82-game vBookie on the exact games Beno bounces the ball off his foot while bringing it up court.

angel_luv
09-21-2006, 04:14 PM
We need an 82-game vBookie on the exact games Beno bounces the ball off his foot while bringing it up court.

Be nice. Geesh! :lol

sa_butta
09-21-2006, 04:22 PM
I really want to see Beno given steady minutes and a legitimate chance this year. I think he will seize the opportunity and do great.

Let Beno play. You can quote me to Pop. :)The only way he can go is up. Im sure he will be a solid backup PG for us this year. I just hope he builds up enough confidence to be a factor in the playoffs as well.

abelle23
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
this is beno's year!!

angel_luv
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
:tu :)

Bruno
09-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm really high on Beno, he will be a very good backup PG and will even play some minutes at SG especially if Barry is traded.
This kid can play and is talented. Cutting his turnovers isn't a mission impossible : I'm sure he will be able to be a reliable backup PG with some work and the help of the coaching staff.

angel_luv
09-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm really high on Beno, he will be a very good backup PG and will even play some minutes at SG especially if Barry is traded.
This kid can play and is talented. Cutting his turnovers isn't a mission impossible : I'm sure he will be able to be a reliable backup PG with some work and the help of the coaching staff.

I think a lot of Beno's turnovers stem from his trying to be to hard to prove himself minute worthy.
With consistent minutes, I think Beno could fairly easily play through his nerves so that they stop being a factor.

Beno is perfectly capable; he just needs some experience. Remember, even Tony wasn't always as great as he is now.

cherylsteele
09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
WTF kind of Spurs games has this dude been watching?? Forcing the ball into traps and losing it seemingly every time there is token pressure are hardly "the correct decisions."

Maybe in another universe there exists a no-choke Beno, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Last year...before he was hurt....he actually was playing pretty well and playing with smarts. He had one or two bad games...post-injury.....and now some are giving up on him. I seem to recall Tony having some of the same problems too. Give Beno time....Rome wasn't built in a day.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
If he was given more time he will definitely be a better player. Remember that game when he started and got a career high 26 points? :smokin

angel_luv
09-21-2006, 05:48 PM
If he was given more time he will definitely be a better player. Remember that game when he started and got a career high 26 points? :smokin

I was there. :)

Marcus Bryant
09-21-2006, 10:35 PM
We are so fucked.