PDA

View Full Version : Single Elimination Not Good For U.s

ICE3000
09-22-2006, 09:33 AM
what are the chances that Bowen is on the roster

ICE3000
09-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Would Any Team In The World Beat The U.s In A Best Of 7 Series?

davi78239
09-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Good question. I think a 7 game series would definitely favor the U.S, since we're use to that. I don't know how the other countries do their playoff system but I'm willing to bet that it's not like the NBA's for the most part.

Kibic
09-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Why not? They have to prove they can win at least one. You can not win 4 if you can't win one. :spin

Kibic
09-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Seriusly, there is a lot of "suprise effect" in single elimination..system. All hapened in 40 or 48 minutes. even the number of timeout's is important. This is the system for team's "on the egde". For those who have to think twice..or six time... slowthinkers...definetly not.
the winner takes it all....the looser standing small... (8)

ICE3000
09-22-2006, 10:21 AM
I just think anybody can win one game on any given night for any given reason but after 7 games the better team will almost always come out on top

Doug Collins
09-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Good question. I think a 7 game series would definitely favor the U.S, since we're use to that. I don't know how the other countries do their playoff system but I'm willing to bet that it's not like the NBA's for the most part.

The Spanish ACB league uses a best of 5 format in the playoffs, at least for the finals.

cheguevara
09-22-2006, 10:27 AM
"not good for us?"

WTF? it's good enough for the rest of the world. If US can't win single elimination they are not the best in the world.

And I still think Greece would have beat US 4-2 in a 7 game series

Bruno
09-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm willing to bet that it's not like the NBA's for the most part.

Nope you're wrong, it's mainly like in nba.

FYI, playoffs format for the 5 best leagues in europe :
Spain : 3 rounds played in best of 5 games
Italy : 3 rounds played in best of 5 games
Russia : 3 rounds played in best of 5 games
Greece : first round played in best of 3 games then 2 rounds played in best of 5 games
Turkey : 2 rounds played in best of 5 games then final played in best of 7 games.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-22-2006, 10:58 AM
A seven game series is all about making adjustments. In the game the US lost they made zero of those. So I don't know if it wouldn't just lead to three more games of them getting spanked by the pick and roll. With the right coaching staff I think it would favor the US, because I think part of the problem is that these NBA players are still expecting it to be easy and losing the first game in a series might wake their asses up. However, I agree with what has been often said, namely that they know it's a single elimination and they need to have their shit together for every game.

diego
09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Maybe some one more knowledgable can clarify this, but i understand some leagues use aggregate score, ie, all the points of all the games in the series. So if you get blown out one game it will really hurt you, as every basket counts. I think thats a good rule, and it allows you to do shorter series. For ex. you could play just two games and use the total score to determine the winner.

as to the original question, the longer series, the more favorable to the deeper more versatile team, which in theory is always going to be USA. however, that theory is still dependent on how the roster is constructed and whether it is exploited efficiently, meaning that if USA basketball continues to make mistakes other teams would continue to have a chance. I would prefer series vs single elimination, mostly because it would mean more basketball.

Bruno
09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
some leagues use aggregate score, ie, all the points of all the games in the series. So if you get blown out one game it will really hurt you, as every basket counts. I think thats a good rule, and it allows you to do shorter series. For ex. you could play just two games and use the total score to determine the winner.

It's done in some european competition like the uleb cup (two games series) because :
- The number of games is fixed before the serie : it's easier to schedule. teams that play the uleb cup must too play their domestic league at the same time.
- Few travels : Some teams plays in small cities without an airport. Travels can be very long in europe.
- You can do a serie without giving an edge to a team : there is no HCA. It's usefull in a competition without a regular season.

And I don't like at all that because the goal in BB is to win and not to win with the biggest margin. Losing should never be a good result and with this type of competition you can hear players/coach saying : we have lost by 1 on the road and it's a good result.

v2freak
09-23-2006, 09:29 PM
"not good for us?"

WTF? it's good enough for the rest of the world. If US can't win single elimination they are not the best in the world.

And I still think Greece would have beat US 4-2 in a 7 game series

In the NBA for example, any team can beat any other team on a given night.

What if a really great player had an off night against a very bad team? No one plays well all the time

Kibic
09-24-2006, 03:05 AM
What if? :)
What if Gino would not foul Dirk?
What if....
What if someone fails for the third time in WC or OG to win the gold?...

diego
09-24-2006, 04:27 PM
It's done in some european competition like the uleb cup (two games series) because :
- The number of games is fixed before the serie : it's easier to schedule. teams that play the uleb cup must too play their domestic league at the same time.
- Few travels : Some teams plays in small cities without an airport. Travels can be very long in europe.
- You can do a serie without giving an edge to a team : there is no HCA. It's usefull in a competition without a regular season.

And I don't like at all that because the goal in BB is to win and not to win with the biggest margin. Losing should never be a good result and with this type of competition you can hear players/coach saying : we have lost by 1 on the road and it's a good result.

yeah, i agree the goal is to win and not to blow out the other team, but if you lost by one it was a tight game and you get rewarded for that. whereas if youre getting blown out you can just rest players and forfeit the game. With that rule you cant do that, you are forced to play hard all the time.