PDA

View Full Version : Kukoc To Play Again If Bulls Make Offer; Antonio Davis To Not Play This Season

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Kukoc to Bulls: I’ll be ready
By Mike McGraw
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Bulls aren’t expected to offer Toni Kukoc a contract before training camp opens Oct. 3, but the veteran forward plans to stay ready and available in case general manager John Paxson changes his mind at a later date.

Kukoc, who resides in Highland Park, worked out at the Berto Center as recently as last week, joining Bulls players for informal pickup games.

“Absolutely, he’s not retired,” said Herb Rudoy, Kukoc’s Chicago-based agent. “Pax told him to wait it out. We’re just waiting. There’s no timetable for this at all. Right now, his plan is to stay in shape.”

Rudoy said NBA teams call constantly asking if Kukoc, 38, is ready for another season. But Kukoc only wants to play for the Bulls or Milwaukee in order to stay close to his family.

The 6-foot-10 forward, who played for the Bulls from 1993-2000, spent the past four seasons with the Bucks, averaging 4.9 points last year. Milwaukee does not appear to be an option for next season, however.

The Bulls have a roster spot available and have auditioned veteran big men in recent weeks. Andrew DeClercq and Darvin Ham are among the ex-NBA players who visited the Berto Center.

The Bulls are relatively thin at center and may prefer to save the final roster spot for a post player. Second-year center Luke Schenscher remains a possibility. Ex-Bull Antonio Davis, who lives in Naperville, has told NBA teams he is not interested in playing this season.

Bulls celebrate Bach: The Bulls are hosting a dinner this weekend to honor assistant coach Johnny Bach, who retired at the end of last season. Bach, 82, spent 53 years in coaching and logged 26 years in the NBA.

“He was a great help to me,” said Bulls coach Scott Skiles, who inherited Bach from Bill Cartwright’s staff upon taking over in November 2003.

“I had known of Johnny for a long time. I knew he was one of the assistant coaches when we got robbed in the Olympics (in 1972). He was a very good voice of reason for me during a difficult time in that first year.”

Rebuilding project: The locker room at the Berto Center is being remodeled. The lockers had been squared off in groups of four, but the Bulls will create a circle of lockers to make it a more effective meeting room.

[email protected]