PDA

View Full Version : According to KSAT, Tony's agent says the negotiations are over

Kori Ellis
10-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Greg Simmons reports that Marc Fleischer says they cannot come to an agreement. There were quotes from Tony saying things like:

I am not asking for the max.
There's still a difference and it's disappointing.
We've come down in price, but I'm just looking for what's fair.

:(

Doesn't look like it's going to get done.

Brodels
10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Booooooooo

That's very bad news. Both sides would have been better off if an agreement could have been reached.

Sounds like the Spurs may have lowballed him. That's unfortunate. He's not worth the max, but you get the feeling that he would have agreed to a contract that reflected his true worth.

What a shame.

Brodels
10-27-2004, 10:34 PM
And not just because the Spurs will need to pay more next summer if they want to keep him.

Perhaps the biggest issue of all is that Parker will be playing the entire season with impending free agency over his head. How is that going to change how he plays? It's hard to say.

blackbucket
10-27-2004, 10:41 PM
He will play better and get the max from somebody. It is very possible his playing days in a Spurs jersey are over after this year :depressed

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-27-2004, 10:43 PM
So... would you think about trading parker..... or would you have faith that we can get the deal done next year??

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
If reports earlier this week (5 million difference) were correct, both sides were stupid for not finding a middle ground.

But it's not surprising, I don't think Fleischer got a deal done for AK47 either. Greedy bastard.

Hell, for 2.5 million the Spurs should have ponied up, especially after all the shit they put him through last summer.

BTW, this whole "not looking for the max" thing is kinda weak in my eyes, he could have been asking for 98% of it. Oh well. Let the distraction begin.

Kori Ellis
10-27-2004, 11:00 PM
BTW, this whole "not looking for the max" thing is kinda weak in my eyes, he could have been asking for 98% of it. Oh well. Let the distraction begin.

He wasn't looking for 98% of it. It has been repeatedly reported that he was looking for something around $65M.

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Spurs roll the dice. They saw what happened with their prized restricted free agent this past summer. What they apparently believe is that they can scare away any potential suitors for Parker next summer from making a serious offer to him. We shall see. If they let him go next summer because they are cheap well to hell with them.

SequSpur
10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
I am officially pissed off now.

JsnSA
10-27-2004, 11:17 PM
It depends on how far away from Max Parker was asking for.

If it wasnt that far off...it may be better for the Spurs to let Parker earn his money this season. Maybe he will take another step forward with his consistency knowing that he will have a huge contract depending on his performance.

If Tony playing for big money gets us a ring this year....paying a little more next year for Tony may be worth it.

mattyc
10-27-2004, 11:21 PM
:depressed
Disappointing. We managed to pay Manu, I would think it would be a formality to pay TP.

SequSpur
10-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Performance? Dude is worth the max because their are teams out there that will pay it. Dude should be locked up immediately.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Kori,

If that was all he was asking for they should have paid him.

Taking a step back as a fan, and looking at it from management's standpoint, this probably saved them several million dollars. If the new limit on contracts after next summer is 4 years, that probably saves them quite a bit.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-27-2004, 11:23 PM
We managed to pay Manu, I would think it would be a formality to pay TP.

We also paid Manu 15 million total less than the reported low end of what Tony was asking for.

timvp
10-27-2004, 11:23 PM
This is horrible news. As blackbucket said, this could be it for Spurs fans. Say goodbye to Parker because some team is going to offer him the max and the Spurs won't match.

Well, I guess they better win it all this year.

SequSpur
10-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Dude doesn't have to resign with the Spurs. He could force a sign and trade... easy.

IcemanCometh
well thats just great

ChumpDumper
Who knows -- a max deal might just be $60 million next season.

Iron Giant
10-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Now the question is, does he respond angrily and post huge numbers, or does this leave him so upset as to affect his play?

timvp
10-27-2004, 11:26 PM
After the way the owner's got over on the players last time during the CBA negotiations, don't look for the players to give much ground this time around.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Then don't look for an 05-06 season.

timvp
10-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Another reason this is a must win year, CD. :)

blackbucket
10-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Yeah, let's see. A MAX deal next year for 4 years, 60 Million. OR a SIX year deal now for 65!!! HELL, GIVE HIM 70!!!!!!

blackbucket
10-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Tony is freaking young. Lock him up now for as long as possible.

pooh
10-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Is Tony worth 70 mil?

timvp
10-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Tony is freaking young. Lock him up now for as long as possible.

Exactly. At 22, he's regarded as one of the best point guards in the league. At 22, most other point guard greats were just entering the league.

It would be crazy for the Spurs not to do it. They're already over the cap for the next decade. When it come down to it, offering him $65M instead of $60M doesn't mean much.

Kori Ellis
10-27-2004, 11:49 PM
He's not asking for $70M. It was reported that he was asking for something around $65M. Tonight, the report said that he has "gone down". So I don't think Tony is asking for any astronomical amount.

blackbucket
10-28-2004, 12:18 AM
The Spurs mgmt has been the envy of the league by being very prudent, fiscally conservative, and practical yet still being able to sign players they need and remain very competitive. I appreciate this as a fan. However, if there were ever a time to not bust an agent's balls, it is now. Swallow your pride, "overpay" (at least in their minds) and just get this done.

Peter, for god's sake, step in and override Pop and RC just this once.

Kori Ellis
10-28-2004, 12:25 AM
The last article by Johnny Ludden on the subject said there were several stumbling blocks standing in the way (not price). I wonder if he will have anything new on that front in his new article tonight.

Rick Von Braun
10-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Relax people... Tony is going nowhere... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gif

Realistically, the only teams that could pay Tony the max next year are Atlanta, Clippers, and Bobcats. None of them are attractive teams for Tony unless he is interested only in the money (and assuming they offer him the max and assuming the Spurs don't match). Cleveland may offer him the max, but if they do they need to trade Snow and his contract (too much money in just PGs, and they have some other needs).

Relax http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidrunk.gif

timvp
10-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Realistically, the only teams that could pay Tony the max next year are Atlanta, Clippers, and Bobcats.

Atlanta and Charlotte would kill for a point guard of Parker's caliber. No question in my mind that the Hawks will offer him the max. If they do, hopefully Parker will like Atlanta.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Realistically, the only teams that could pay Tony the max next year are Atlanta, Clippers, and Bobcats.

And? Atlanta and Charlotte would kill for a franchise-calibera PG, and Tony qualifies.

TMTTRIO
10-28-2004, 12:33 AM
I wonder what the other stumbling blocks are besides money?

timvp
10-28-2004, 12:39 AM
I wonder what the other stumbling blocks are besides money?

If I had to guess, the Spurs were wanting some of the money to be paid via incentives. In other words, the total value of the contract wasn't guaranteed.

Another scenario could be the Spurs wanted the final year to be a team option.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Just an educated guess...

1. Team France
2. More touches in the offense
3. French bread at the practice facility

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Dude doesn't have to resign with the Spurs.

Sure but he's a restricted free agent and they have his full Bird Rights.

Again, this past summer the Spurs scared off Manu's suitors decently and I suspect they think they can do the same again next summer.

Rick Von Braun
10-28-2004, 01:23 AM
And? Atlanta and Charlotte would kill for a franchise-calibera PG, and Tony qualifies. If the Spurs FO believes he is a franchise-caliber player, they will match a possible (sure thing among some in here) max offer... it is that simple. Last time I checked the Spurs still have his full Bird rights.

Kori Ellis
10-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Well if the Spurs won't even go up $2M to settle it right now (as reported by Ludden) then I guess they don't think he's a max player.

slayermin
10-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Tony made crap the last three seasons. Show him the freakin' money.

This sux.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Rick,

At least one league GM thinks Tony is the best PG in the league THIS YEAR.

Hmm, who would Charlotte rather have at point... Jason Hart or Tony Parker.
Who would Atlanta rather have at point...Tony Delk, Royal Ivey, or Tony Parker.

I know, these are tough questions. You don't think Charlotte would like a young core of Tony, Emeka, and Gerald Wallace? You're nuts.

Carnie
10-28-2004, 07:30 AM
Could another player from another team play a role in this? Like if Kidd told pop he wants on the team? All I know is the spurs and other teams go though this every year
And at the end 95% of the time they seem come to some sort of deal at the end, After all who doesn't want to play along side of Tim Duncan?

I wonder how many teams these greedy agents have ruined? One last question.

Could parkers performance, or lack in last years playoffs be a factor in him not getting the big bucks? After all he does have his games where he sucks at times. Or is that common with players his age and plays no role?

Memo to Parker : Show your French pride and Surrender to the spurs .

Is parker ready for the big top?
"Shake some Dust"

ChumpDumper
10-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Spurs might blink after the agent went public.

maxpower
10-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Do you guys think Tony has forgotten the trade proposal for Kidd ??? I sure don't.
I'm sure this is just adding to the " IT'S JUST BUSINESS" mentality. The Spurs seem to be doing everything in their power to make Parker feel very impersonal. Add to that how quickly they came to terms with Manu...not to mention they were close to throwing 100 million dollars on a 30+ year old point guard. If this is not some sort of hypocrisy, I don't know what is.

2 FREAKIN' million spread over 6 years...is that the difference?? Even if it were 5 Million...over 6 years is not even the veteran minimum.

Management is royally screwing the pooch.....!!!

tekdragon
10-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Take it easy, ladies. If there's anything we've learned over the course of Pop's tenure, it's that management always has a plan. You might disagree with the plan, and sometimes the plans just don't work out the way they had hoped, but we've been in a period of real prosperity with our basketball team for many years now. We're in the Golden Age of Spurs Basketball. Things have never been better. Things didn't get this way because our management are idiots, and they didn't get this way by overspending at every opportunity. There has to be a balance between the priorities of fiscal responsibility and the need to put a champion on the court. We're in it every year. You can't win it all every year, but we're perennial contenders. If they jumped and overpaid every available free agent, we'd be stuck with Derek Anderson for something near the max. We'd still be paying him, with no chance of signing Parker. No offense, Sequ, but these guys know what they're doing. Our financial and basketball situations are the envy of 90% of the teams in the league, if not more. Have some faith, and have some balls. You think they're going to just let Tony walk away? They think it's the wise business decision to not go over what they have deemed fair, and who the hell are we to judge their business sense? I'm fairly successful, but I haven't made business decisions well enough to offer me the opportunity to purchase an NBA franchise. When I do, then I'll have standing to judge the actions of one of the most successful franchises in the league. They didn't become so by accident. Parker's restricted next year. If he earns it, they'll match. If he doesn't, they'll probably match anyway, and it'll probably be for fewer years, which is good for the Spurs (because they'll have an out if Tony doesn't become one of the great points of all time, like I expect him to), and it'll be good for Tony (because he'll have the opportunity for another max contract when the new one expires). Pop, Peter and RC are not going to let the Spurs become bottom dwellers just to save a couple of million. What they are going to do is this: they're going to make good basketball decisions and good business decisions, just like they've always done. Keep your panties on. We're the best team in the league, a team that was built by our current management. They haven't suddenly become Donald Fucking Sterling. Get a grip.

Sportcamper
10-28-2004, 10:00 AM
http://glasgowcrew.tripod.com/caponemain.gif

All’s we is asking for is to let us wet our beak a little....Is that so wrong?

mouse
10-28-2004, 10:35 AM
look at the brite side. You can be a Maverick fan and injoy a 2005 NBA Championship ring.

boutons
"Tony made crap the last three seasons."

Neither party was forced to sign that contract. Both did extremely well out of it, with a year to run. Tony got his break into the NBA with a perernnial contender with an MVP/HOF franchise player, and a ring as championship starter. The Spurs got, after taking a very good chance, a top tier PG and an NBA championship for peanuts.

As much as I want TP to sign this week, I really don't think his rookie contract biases either's decision one way or the other.

I think the bigger risk for not signing now is for the Spurs, who could lose him in 05. eg, see Nash and Boozer this year, going for the $$$. "It's a business", as Tony repeated so many times last summer trying to stomach the Kidd wooing.

FromWayDowntown
I've relished the fiscal conservatism of the Spurs for years, but in this case, I just don't understand it. The reported difference between asking price and offered price are so minimal, in the grand scheme of things, that it seems almost petty. I understand that there may be some other strategies at play here, but Parker has been a good soldier for the franchise. He took the Kidd-quest a few summers ago pretty much in stride, and after a little blowup, bounced back nicely. He's been willing to take less than his likely market value to stay here. He's pretty much toed the line that Pop has set for him, even though doing so diminishes his numbers. He seems to want to stay in San Antonio, but it seems that the Spurs are trying to test that loyalty at every turn.

This is a calculated gamble, but I'm wondering if the Spurs have been calculating this decision using an abacus.

The Spurs can match Parker next summer, but who's to say that he won't sign a one year tender next summer, so that even if the Spurs match, he can become unrestricted in 06 and take away any matching rights the Spurs have?

Maybe those who dislike this decision should start a drive similar to the one that deprived Manu of #6 a few years ago. Surely, if the anger of fans was enough to bully the Spurs into retiring a jersey, that same type of anger (particularly from season ticket holders and other ticket buyers) would create some concern about the wisdom of this decision.

Rick Von Braun
10-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Rick,

At least one league GM thinks Tony is the best PG in the league THIS YEAR.We don't know if the GM that voted for Tony was from Charlotte or Atlanta, do we?

Hmm, who would Charlotte rather have at point... Jason Hart or Tony Parker.
Who would Atlanta rather have at point...Tony Delk, Royal Ivey, or Tony Parker.
I know, these are tough questions. You don't think Charlotte would like a young core of Tony, Emeka, and Gerald Wallace? You're nuts.You can make the same comparison for almost any position in their starting 5. The Bobcats have so many holes, that I am quite confident they won't invest the max on any particular player/position next year. They will continue improving through the draft to build a larger talent base for several years to come.

Atlanta is more of an unknown... I have no clue what they might do next year.

The Spurs have the most accurate info to make the decision. We don't know for certain if the difference money-wise was as small as advertised. Who knows? Also remember that Pop is nutz!

P.S.: Gerard Wallace may have some potential, but I'll hold my judgement on him until I see him play one year in a team that sucks. If he cannot put good numbers with the Bobcats, he is done.

GoSpurs21
10-28-2004, 01:59 PM
After the way the owner's got over on the players last time during the CBA negotiations, don't look for the players to give much ground this time around.

With the players making a majority of the revenue generated by the league I dont know how valid this statement is.

Maybe those who dislike this decision should start a drive similar to the one that deprived Manu of #6 a few years ago. Surely, if the anger of fans was enough to bully the Spurs into retiring a jersey, that same type of anger (particularly from season ticket holders and other ticket buyers) would create some concern about the wisdom of this decision.

That was started and lead by dickhead Don Harris. The number still has not been retired nor should it be.

T Park
10-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Go Spurs,

I agree 100%, Im a season ticket holder and I didnt give to rat fucks if Manu wanted to wear 6.

Dumbasses like Harris and other numbskulls wanted the mediocre point guard's number retired.

Pay Parker the fuckin money and get it over with.

Christ.....

Brodels
10-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Go Spurs,

I agree 100%, Im a season ticket holder and I didnt give to rat fucks if Manu wanted to wear 6.

Dumbasses like Harris and other numbskulls wanted the mediocre point guard's number retired.

:lol For once, I agree with you.

pooh
10-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Parker there in Atlanta would be awesome, what with Al Harrington there, then get a semi-decent center, they'd be set.