PDA

View Full Version : Argentina beats Australia at Davis cup Semifinal

MaNuMaNiAc
09-23-2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sundayheraldsun/story/0,21985,20467486-3162,00.html

AUSTRALIA'S Davis Cup dreams were in tatters early today after new Argentine hero Jose Acasuso completed a career-defining win over Lleyton Hewitt.

A contentious selection, 26th-ranked Acasuso lifted Argentina to a 2-0 lead ahead of the doubles and reverse singles with a 1-6, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 margin over former world No. 1 Hewitt. Acasuso's comeback victory -- the lanky baseliner won 10 of the final 11 games -- left a capacity crowd of 14,500 partisans ecstatic.

Hewitt clung optimistically to hopes of conjuring an unlikely escape when play resumed with the Australian trailing 0-4 in the deciding fifth set.

And he immediately raised visions of a Houdini-like escape by breaking serve to snap a nine-game losing streak.

But he stumbled with a botched drop shot to surrender his serve. His opponent held serve to win the match.

Egged on by an increasingly rowdy home crowd, Acasuso had led 1-6, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2, 4-0 when rain stopped play on the first day.

Argentina's David Nalbandian and Agustin Calleri needed only to win the doubles rubber early today against Wayne Arthurs and Paul Hanley to push the South Americans into their first final since 1981.

Nalbandian demolished Philippoussis 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 in the opening singles match to give the hosts the upper hand.

Acasuso then exploited worsening conditions to get on top of Hewitt.

Nalbandian and Acasuso were cheered on by an increasingly belligerent Diego Maradona on the opening day.

The reformed drug addict -- still the nation's most famous sportsman -- urged his compatriots to "ruin" Hewitt.

Maradona led delirious Argentine celebrations as the claycourt powerhouse moved closer to only its second Davis Cup final.

"What I have to say to Hewitt is that we are a civilised country," he said.

"He didn't know Argentina and I think he's surprised.

"He thought that here we live with bows and arrows.

"Now he's realised that all we want is to win at tennis and nothing more.

"We have to ruin him, we have to bring him to justice on the court."

Each time the host nation claimed a vital point, the man who found World Cup infamy with his "hand of God" goal against England in 1986, leapt to his feet to wave a shirt maniacally over his head.

No offense to Aussie's because I think Australia rocks, but I'm glad Hewitt lost. The dude is a jackass. Plus this is the second time we've made it to the Davis Cup finals in 25 years so... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

DISCLAIMER: I'd just like to add I also think Maradona is a dumbass, so take that into account while reading his comments.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Maradona leads battle cry to 'ruin' Hewitt

Lleyton Hewitt was pelted with coins and spat on while Australian supporters traded insults with Argentine soccer idol Diego Maradona in an ugly backdrop to yesterday's Davis Cup semi-final rubber.

At least one spectator was ejected from heaving Parque Roca as Maradona incited 14,500 fans to "ruin" Hewitt, who was taken to the brink of defeat by Jose Acasuso. Earlier, Mark Philippoussis -- one of the gentleman players on the world tennis stage -- was enraged by the antics of the raucous, unsporting crowd.

Hewitt was constantly abused. A Tennis Australia bodyguard confronted a male spectator who was seen spitting on Hewitt from front-row seats.

Maradona, the most adored Argentinian sports identity, repeatedly taunted Hewitt and Philippoussis as his host nation moved to a 1-0 lead.

First, Philippoussis was beaten in straight sets by David Nalbandian.

Then Hewitt was buckled, but not bowed, 0-4 in the fifth set, in an unfinished court stoush with Acasuso. Play was stopped by bad light and rain.

That there was no conclusion did nothing to curb the crowd's aggression.

An Australian official also saved his Argentinian counterparts embarrassment by pointing out the Australia national anthem was not Waltzing Matilda.

Advance Australia Fair was played at the opening ceremony.

Maradona's theatrical entry as the first match was about to start delayed the tie for several minutes as the onetime soccer hero strutted along a row of corporate boxes greeting fellow celebrities.

But after taking his seat, Maradona was soon back on his feet, twirling a T-shirt above his head while chanting ditties that questioned the sexuality of the Australian players. But the grandstanding backfired. He was infuriated by Australian spectators who mimicked a cocaine user snorting when he looked at them.

Independent officials opted not to invoke a rarely-used rule to control unruly crowds.

Hewitt has voiced his worries about security for the past five months, prompting Tennis Australia to send private bodyguards.

what a bunch of BULLSHIT! This article makes it seem as if everyone in the stadium was throwing coins and spitting at Hewitt. It was one moron, and he was ejected. As for insults... well... Hewitt isn't very liked over here. Still it wasn't as bad as this article is trying to show it. Also, it is true that Hewitt arrived in Argentina with 20 bodyguards! 20!! WTF does he think this is? Iraq?

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Maradona was a hack that scored a cheap, illegal goal. He is a dumb, classless fool who should be in a room with 4 padded walls. He can't come close to holding Ginobili's jock as a great Argentinian sportsman...

Hewitt is a douche, but spitting is pretty shitty.

velik_m
09-24-2006, 04:58 AM
you got to love the spin australians are putting on the game :lol i'm sure argie news are 180 on the subject.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Maradona was a hack that scored a cheap, illegal goal. He is a dumb, classless fool who should be in a room with 4 padded walls. He can't come close to holding Ginobili's jock as a great Argentinian sportsman...

Hewitt is a douche, but spitting is pretty shitty.:lmao Maradona wasn't the one spitting, and although he may be an uneducated moron, but he's the best footballer to ever play the game (along with Pele), not a hack. I will give you he is classless though. As for comparing Ginobili and Maradona, you are out of you fucking mind. Maradona was to football what Jordan was to basketball. Ginobili is great, but Maradona was legendary.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-24-2006, 11:55 AM
you got to love the spin australians are putting on the game :lol i'm sure argie news are 180 on the subject.There was name calling that I'm not disputing, Hewitt is not liked over here, but they are making it seem as though Hewitt and Phillipousis lost because they were harassed by the fans, which is bullshit. There was considerable name calling and one moron that threw a coin and spat, and he was ejected.

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 12:52 PM
:lmao Maradona wasn't the one spitting, and although he may be an uneducated moron, but he's the best footballer to ever play the game (along with Pele), not a hack. I will give you he is classless though. As for comparing Ginobili and Maradona, you are out of you fucking mind. Maradona was to football what Jordan was to basketball. Ginobili is great, but Maradona was legendary.
He can't compare as a sportsman. He was a cheating bastard then and is a fucking lunatic now. Ginobili has class and plays with passion - Maradona should be put to sleep to put him (and anyone who has to deal with him) out of their fucking misery. I don't give a fuck how good he may have been at soccer... there are bigger aspects to look at. Now he is just a fat, crazy, obnoxious ass.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-24-2006, 01:37 PM
He can't compare as a sportsman. He was a cheating bastard then and is a fucking lunatic now. Ginobili has class and plays with passion - Maradona should be put to sleep to put him (and anyone who has to deal with him) out of their fucking misery. I don't give a fuck how good he may have been at soccer... there are bigger aspects to look at. Now he is just a fat, crazy, obnoxious ass.:lmao Look I don't like the guy as a person either, but you're talking out of your ass if you are saying the guy didn't play with passion. Maradona and Ginobili aren't even in the same class when it comes to dominating their respective sports. As a person, I have no doubt Ginobili is better. By the way, have you even seen him lately? the dude isn't fat anymore, crazy, and obnoxious yes, but not fat http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

He was a cheating bastard then and is a fucking lunatic nowyou english or something? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif you seem to be very hungup on the "hand of god" incident, which is probably why you're forgetting perhaps the greatest World Cup goal ever scored which came afterwards.

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 02:58 PM
you english or something?

:lmao Look here you little bloody bastard... that wanker Maradona got his kit off on some little Aussie tennis bloke. Don't make me come across the pond and plant it in your arse! :lol

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I wonder how many Englishmen are Texas Longhorn fans?? No, I'm not English... I just hate any fuck who acts like a little bitch in public. Especially some coke head fuck has-been who should really just shut the fuck up. It's a fucking tennis match - not a war. You don't have to act like a little dick and try to "ruin" anyone. Let's throw this fuck in Iraq and see how seriously he takes tennis matches afterwards, provided he doesn't take a RPG up his ass.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I wonder how many Englishmen are Texas Longhorn fans?? No, I'm not English... I just hate any fuck who acts like a little bitch in public. Especially some coke head fuck has-been who should really just shut the fuck up. It's a fucking tennis match - not a war. You don't have to act like a little dick and try to "ruin" anyone. Let's throw this fuck in Iraq and see how seriously he takes tennis matches afterwards, provided he doesn't take a RPG up his ass.throw him in Iraq?? :lmao

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
:lmao