PDA

View Full Version : Behind The Name

THE SIXTH MAN
09-24-2006, 03:04 AM
This is something that NBA.com is doing for all the NBA teams. This is a little behind the story of the how Spurs got their name.

An original member of the ABA, this franchise—which joined the NBA in 1976 – was born in Dallas as the Chaparrals. When the original investors agreed to start a team, they were dining in a posh club called the Chaparral Club.

One of the owners noticed an image of the chaparral, which is a roadrunner, on the napkin, and everyone agreed the bird would make a nice, lively mascot. In 1970, they became a regional franchise called the Texas Chaparrals, then they relocated to San Antonio in 1973. Team officials wanted a name that reflected the Western heritage of Texas, so a contest was held and the name Spurs was chosen.

spurs.com (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/behind_the_name.html)

THE SIXTH MAN
09-24-2006, 03:22 AM
The name is cool and all, but I think we have the best color's and uni's in the league. I mean you just cant beat silver and black. And the fact that we're one of the few or the only teams from the ABA that hasn't really changed the original design for the jersey.

carina_gino20
09-24-2006, 03:25 AM
The name is cool and all, but I think we have the best color's and uni's in the league. I mean you just cant beat silver and black.

:tu

Louis
09-24-2006, 04:27 AM
Best colors in the league??

Get real!

Your unis are ugly , dull and boring

SpursWillOwn
09-24-2006, 06:56 AM
fuck you Louis

Tobias
09-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I was jealous of Houston's suave pin-stripe pajama unis. Or even their new "po-mo" ones... :smokin

wildbill2u
09-24-2006, 09:42 AM
The name is cool and all, but I think we have the best color's and uni's in the league. I mean you just cant beat silver and black. And the fact that we're one of the few or the only teams from the ABA that hasn't really changed the original design for the jersey.
Does anyone know if the awful experiment with adding aqua and pink :madrun (supposedly reminding us of Fiesta) was done at the bidding of Charlene McCombs? I remember that was the story going around at the time.

xamila rey
09-24-2006, 11:41 AM

Get real!

i read the post and then i look at the name,,of course! it was Louis

jn77
09-24-2006, 06:07 PM
I love the Silver and Black! Don't miss the Aqua/Pink thing. How was that supposed to remind us of Fiesta? If they wanted to remind us of Fiesta, they should have put a bottle of tequila on the front of the jersey!

angel_luv
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I wonder what names besides " Spurs" were submitted into the name contest.
Not that I would change it... just curious.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-24-2006, 06:19 PM

Get real!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/1999/07/02/barkley_rockets/t1_barkley_ap_01.jpg

You, of all people, can never, ever talk about any team's uniforms for the rest of the NBA's existance.

my2sons
09-24-2006, 06:29 PM
i'm torn between the rockets uni's remind me of rodeo clowns or the outfits the prisoner cowboys wore in urban cowboy

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 06:31 PM
I love the Silver and Black! Don't miss the Aqua/Pink thing. How was that supposed to remind us of Fiesta? If they wanted to remind us of Fiesta, they should have put a bottle of tequila on the front of the jersey!

:lmao And a Dos XX with a lime chaser.

xamila rey
09-24-2006, 08:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/1999/07/02/barkley_rockets/t1_barkley_ap_01.jpg

You, of all people, can never, ever talk about any team's uniforms for the rest of the NBA's existance.

:lol nice pix

Louis
09-24-2006, 09:37 PM

FYI

The Rockets changed those colors..

They now have better colors...(better that the ugly black and silver)

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Louis, I am amazed by your stupidity.

Condemned 2 HelLA
09-24-2006, 09:40 PM
FYI

Yeah.
New unis.
Same shitty team.

THE SIXTH MAN
09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know if the awful experiment with adding aqua and pink :madrun (supposedly reminding us of Fiesta) was done at the bidding of Charlene McCombs? I remember that was the story going around at the time.
I hated those days, but I cant recall if those colors were on the actual uniform. I do know that they were part of the warm ups and also on the court at the dome.

smeagol
09-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Louis = LakerGod = Wolves009 = some of the worst posters from other teams ST.com has ever seen.

Louis_
09-25-2006, 01:01 AM
I love red its like the color of my asshole after my boyfriend gives it to me good.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-25-2006, 01:12 AM
FYI

FYI.

A lot of good the new uniforms and colors have done your team.

ATX Spur
09-25-2006, 02:17 AM
I hated those days, but I cant recall if those colors were on the actual uniform. I do know that they were part of the warm ups and also on the court at the dome.

and all the otherwise-cool merch...

Obstructed_View
09-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Yep, a time that happily met its end. Not on the uniforms, btw.

http://amarillo.com/images/headlines/052201/spurs.jpg