PDA

View Full Version : Report: Simms in critical condition

Kori Ellis
09-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Tampa Bay QB Simms in critical condition
STEVE LYTTLE
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/15599873.htm
Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms takes a knee as team personnel rush to him following a tackle by Carolina Panthers (96) defensive end Al Wallace during Sunday's game at Tampa. Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms was taken by ambulance to a Tampa hospital Sunday afternoon and is listed in critical condition, according to reports by several news sources.

There is no indication as to the cause of Simms' medical problems.

He was hospitalized a short time after the Buccaneers' last-minute 26-24 NFL loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Simms appeared to experience medical problems during the game. He was hit hard several times by Panthers defensive players and was taken out of the game in the third quarter. Announcers said Simms had suffered from dehydration in the 90-degree-plus heat and high humidity in Tampa.

But Simms, a former University of Texas quarterback whose father, Phil, also played in the NFL, returned to the game this afternoon and led Tampa Bay on a fourth-quarter scoring drive. Observers reported that he left the field on his own power after the game.

Simms was not available for interviews after the game, as he was being attended by trainers and doctors.

At his postgame press conference, Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden said of Simms: "He got hit early and he hurt his ribs. We don't know the extent of that, but he played hard today. He played tough and he showed a lot of grit. He really did. It is a credit to him.

"He is hurting right now, there is no question. He left the game. I don't know that it was because of his ribs, dehydration or both. He is a very sore and tired man right now, and I am proud of how he hung in there against a very good run defense.''

Simms, 6-4 and 220 pounds, is in his fourth season with Tampa Bay.

He was a standout at Ramapo (N.J.) High School and was named USA Today's National Offensive Player of the Year in 1998. He played four years at the University of Texas, although he never really earned the full-time starting job. Amid criticism from fans, Simms shared playing time with Major Applewhite.

He was a third-round draft choice in 2003 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Simms played a key role last season in the Buccaneers' run to the NFC South Division championship. He completed 61 percent of his passes for 2,035 yards, with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Critical Condition? Gruden didn't make it seem that bad, but if he's in critical condition there's something very serious there.

Kori Ellis
09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah I wonder what's wrong. Internal bleeding?

Kori Ellis
09-24-2006, 07:31 PM
They just said on TV that he is in the hospital but that they have confirmed he is NOT in critical condition.

So that's good.

King
09-24-2006, 07:33 PM
ESPN just said he was in the hospital after having surgery to remove a ruptured spleen and IS in critical condition.

Spurologist
09-24-2006, 07:35 PM
S
A
D

Insult to injury

Tampa sitting @ 0-3

Kori Ellis
09-24-2006, 07:39 PM
ESPN just said he was in the hospital after having surgery to remove a ruptured spleen and IS in critical condition.

On NBC they just said they talked to his mom and that he's not in danger. He had his spleen removed and a blood transfusion.

King
09-24-2006, 07:41 PM
ESPN probably just reported it as critical because he had a major surgery. It was just a cut-in to the Cards/Astros game, so they didn't expand on it.

BeerIsGood!
09-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Wow, that sucks. Hope he gets better and is able to play again sometime this season. What's the time table for returning from a ruptured spleen?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I just heard NBC say he'd be in the hospital for at least a few days.

Tampa has a bye week in Week 4.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Simms likely out 2-3 months.

Estimate based on NBC interviews with physicians.

Zunni
09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
A ruptured spleen can be fatal. You can bleed to death. They may have listed him as critical once they diagnosed him, and re-statused him after surgery.

T Park
09-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Now that hes gonna be ok, and hes out of the woods, thank god.

Looks like the Buccaneers are gonna go into Brady Quinn mode.

BeerIsGood!
09-25-2006, 12:08 AM

I think they were in that mode before today.

Horry For 3!
09-25-2006, 12:50 AM

Bruce Gradkowski is goin to take over for Chris Simms. He was pretty nice in the pre-season.

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I hope Chris Simms gets well soon.

He's proven himself to be one tough s.o.b.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-25-2006, 11:40 AM
He's proven himself to be one tough s.o.b.

Except for that whole tattoo thing.

You know, the doctors operated on the wrong Simms.

They should have removed the bag of douche from Dad's mouth (I've never prayed for the audio to go out on my TV, but I was damn near close during that Steelers-Bengals game).

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Except for that whole tattoo thing.

You know, the doctors operated on the wrong Simms.

They should have removed the bag of douche from Dad's mouth (I've never prayed for the audio to go out on my TV, but I was damn near close during that Steelers-Bengals game).

The Tattoo thing was the funniest shit I've ever heard. I was embarassed just reading the story. It's like when you find yourself watching a repeat of Saved by the Bell and for some reason you just can't stop watching it but you are humiliated the whole time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I was embarassed just reading the story. It's like when you find yourself watching a repeat of Saved by the Bell and for some reason you just can't stop watching it but you are humiliated the whole time.

:lmao

Luckily, I have beat back the demon that is SBTB reruns whenever the remote finds them.

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 11:47 AM
:lmao

Luckily, I have beat back the demon that is SBTB reruns whenever the remote finds them.

I'd like to be able to say that too, but for some reason, "The College Years" owns my soul.