PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 QB's Today

stretch
09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Who do you rank as the top 5 QB's in the league today?

My list...

1. Tom Brady - 3 SB Wins, 2 SB MVPs, 10-1 in the playoffs... the guy is a pure winner, and knowing how to win is what matters most for a QB.

2. Donovon McNabb - Most regular season wins of any QB since 2000, 4 NFC Championship Appearances, 1 SB Appearance, and can light up any defense with both, his passing and his running.

3. Peyton Manning - Best passing QB in the league, and possibly may be end up as the best passing QB of all time, but unfortunately he is also the biggest playoff choker in the league as well. In terms of passing skills, hes by far the best in the business, but has only 1 Championship appearance, and got completely owned, and took far too long to get his first playoff victory. Leadership skills are a big question with him as well.

4. Carson Palmer - I may be ranking him a bit high, considering he has only had 1 great year, but it was a hell of a year. He has a lot of potential, and may possibly be the most well rounded QB in the league, as he can pass with pinpoint accuracy, has a rocket arm, is big and can avoid rushes well, handles pressure well, has athletic ability to run when needed.

5. Michael Vick - Many people consider him overrated, but the guy is an incredible talent, and has done many great things in the league. He may not have great passing stats, but he wins games, and has proven that his team is absolute garbage without him. He probably creates more problems for opposing defenses than any other player in the league. He may not be a great passer, but that doesnt mean he cant pass. If teams dont respect his passing abilities, he will make opposing secondaries pay the price.

johngateswhiteley
09-25-2006, 04:03 PM
you know, this is tricky.

1. Brady
2. Palmer
3. McNabb
4. Manning
5. Hasselbeck

...i don't have vick anywhere near my top 10, btw. although, i am happy to say you're smart for having mcnabb as high as you do.

zocool16
09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
1. Manning
2. Palmer
3. Brady
4. McNabb
5. Favre

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Do you mean top 5 based on past history or the way they are performing so far this season?

stretch
09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
a mix of both. this season, and recent history (like the past 3 or 4 years or so, just stuff that is still somewhat relevant to what kind of QB they are today). nothing too far back, like brett favres MVP seasons, or stuff that far back.

ducks
09-25-2006, 04:20 PM
brett favres is not as good as he was

stretch
09-25-2006, 04:23 PM
brett favres is not as good as he was
i agree. i dont think he belongs in the top 5 at all. although i still think he can be a good QB, hes not nearly what he used to be.

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 04:34 PM
1. Brady
2. Manning (Top 3 can probably be interchangeable)
3. Palmer

4. McNabb
5. Plummer..........just kidding.......probably my number 5 will go to (and I'll get killed by you guys for saying this) but I'm going to go with Brees........for now.

johngateswhiteley
09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
1. Brady
2. Manning (Top 3 can probably be interchangeable)
3. Palmer

4. McNabb
5. Plummer..........just kidding.......probably my number 5 will go to (and I'll get killed by you guys for saying this) but I'm going to go with Brees........for now.

...brees is a good pick for the fifth spot, though i don't think he is where hasselbeck is now. however, brees is the most underrated QB in the league, imo; guy is a winner.

ducks
09-25-2006, 05:15 PM
carr has to be up there
best rating this year so far

tlongII
09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
1. Manning
2. Hasselbeck
3. Brady
4. Palmer
5. McNabb

BeerIsGood!
09-25-2006, 05:53 PM
...brees is a good pick for the fifth spot, though i don't think he is where hasselbeck is now. however, brees is the most underrated QB in the league, imo; guy is a winner.
The only NFL player I ever intercepted a pass from. I hope he makes the Hall of Fame.

Spurologist
09-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Right now.

P Manning
McNabb
Brady
Vick
Palmer

In that order

Horry For 3!
09-25-2006, 07:14 PM
T. Brady
P. Manning
C. Palmer
M. Hasselbeck
D. McNabb

JMarkJohns
09-25-2006, 07:16 PM
T. Brady
P. Manning
C. Palmer
M. Hasselbeck
D. McNabb

Pretty much mine. Maybe switch Hasselbeck and McNabb, but that's about it.

johngateswhiteley
09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
The only NFL player I ever intercepted a pass from. I hope he makes the Hall of Fame.

did you play against Westlake?

BeerIsGood!
09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
did you play against Westlake?
I grew up in McAllen and went to McAllen Rowe HS from '92 to '96. During that time we were by far the best team in the RGV, and played a lot of out of valley teams in pre-district and in the playoffs. We played Westlake in a pre-district game. We lost by double digits (I believe 17), but I was able to get 2 picks in that game from my free safety position. Probably the only reason we didn't lose by 30 :lol

I also played some receiver in the game and caught a TD pass. One of the best games I had.

stretch
09-26-2006, 12:38 PM
1. Manning
2. Hasselbeck
3. Brady
4. Palmer
5. McNabb
Hasselbeck as #2??? You have got to be kidding me...

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
I grew up in McAllen and went to McAllen Rowe HS from '92 to '96. During that time we were by far the best team in the RGV, and played a lot of out of valley teams in pre-district and in the playoffs. We played Westlake in a pre-district game. We lost by double digits (I believe 17), but I was able to get 2 picks in that game from my free safety position. Probably the only reason we didn't lose by 30 :lol

I also played some receiver in the game and caught a TD pass. One of the best games I had.

cool. your obviously older than me then; alamo heights teams before me use to play Westlake in the playoffs...Brees would slice them up.

...heights is pretty good this year, so far!

slayermin
09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Peyton Manning
Carson Palmer
Tom Brady
Donovan McNabb
Drew Brees

Jimcs50
09-26-2006, 01:05 PM
1. Manning
2. Hasselbeck
3. Brady
4. Palmer
5. McNabb

ditto

Marklar MM
09-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Manning
Brady
Roethlisberger
Palmer
McNabb

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Manning
Brady
Roethlisberger
Palmer
McNabb

roths! ha ha, you're funny.

tlongII
09-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Hasselbeck as #2??? You have got to be kidding me...

Check cumulative stats over the last 3 years. You will see I'm not kidding. Hasselbeck is a great QB.

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Check cumulative stats over the last 3 years. You will see I'm not kidding. Hasselbeck is a great QB.

i agree, but he is not better than Palmer, McNabb, and Brady, imo. i got him at 5 in my rankings (post #2).

tlongII
09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
i agree, but he is not better than Palmer, McNabb, and Brady, imo. i got him at 5 in my rankings (post #2).

The top 5 are all damn good. I can't argue too much although I think he is better than those guys.

Slinkyman
09-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Right now David Carr is your number 1 rated passer

tlongII
09-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Right now David Carr is your number 1 rated passer

That's over 3 games.

stretch
09-26-2006, 05:10 PM
they are ok. above average. last year is the only real good year. but he doesnt have many wins to show for those stats. they also play in the shitties division in football.

tom brady has better stats, and 3 SB wins to show for it. McNabb has just as good of stats (but a MUCH better TD to INT ratio), and also is a consistent winner. and neither of them have ever had the luxury of someone like Shawn Alexander behind them.

stretch
09-26-2006, 05:11 PM
That's over 3 games.
and they are 0-3. stats mean nothing without wins.

johnsmith
09-26-2006, 05:12 PM
and they are 0-3. stats mean nothing without wins.

Just ask Dan Marino.

leemajors
09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Just ask Dan Marino.

why all the marino hate? dude was an incredible qb who never got the benefit of a good running game. he didn't ever get back to the super bowl, but he is still nonetheless easily top 5 all time.

johnsmith
09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
why all the marino hate? dude was an incredible qb who never got the benefit of a good running game. he didn't ever get back to the super bowl, but he is still nonetheless easily top 5 all time.

I just never liked how he would always throw his [insert offensive position here] under the bus and rarely took responsibility for any of his losses. I agree, he was an incredible talent but I was glad he never got back to the big one soley because of the reason I stated.

Zunni
09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Who do you rank as the top 5 QB's in the league today?

My list...

1. Tom Brady - 3 SB Wins, 2 SB MVPs, 10-1 in the playoffs... the guy is a pure winner, and knowing how to win is what matters most for a QB.

2. Donovon McNabb - Most regular season wins of any QB since 2000, 4 NFC Championship Appearances, 1 SB Appearance, and can light up any defense with both, his passing and his running.

3. Peyton Manning - Best passing QB in the league, and possibly may be end up as the best passing QB of all time, but unfortunately he is also the biggest playoff choker in the league as well. In terms of passing skills, hes by far the best in the business, but has only 1 Championship appearance, and got completely owned, and took far too long to get his first playoff victory. Leadership skills are a big question with him as well.

4. Carson Palmer - I may be ranking him a bit high, considering he has only had 1 great year, but it was a hell of a year. He has a lot of potential, and may possibly be the most well rounded QB in the league, as he can pass with pinpoint accuracy, has a rocket arm, is big and can avoid rushes well, handles pressure well, has athletic ability to run when needed.

5. Michael Vick - Many people consider him overrated, but the guy is an incredible talent, and has done many great things in the league. He may not have great passing stats, but he wins games, and has proven that his team is absolute garbage without him. He probably creates more problems for opposing defenses than any other player in the league. He may not be a great passer, but that doesnt mean he cant pass. If teams dont respect his passing abilities, he will make opposing secondaries pay the price.

Vick doesn't belong on the list. He's an option pass-throwing halfback. When you turn him into a thrower, he gets exposed. If he were going to turn into a QB, he would have done it already.

JamStone
09-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Pretty much agree with basically everyone:

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Donovan McNabb
4. Carson Palmer
5. Matt Hasselback

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Pretty much agree with basically everyone:

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Donovan McNabb
4. Carson Palmer
5. Matt Hasselback

everyone is dumb, then. cause Palmer and McNabb are better than Manning. what has Manning ever won...? McNabb has been there (SB) and does more with less every year and Palmer, you can just tell, is SOLID. Cincy probably wins it all last year if does not get a cheap shot in the knee. Manning is a choke artist.

Marklar MM
09-26-2006, 07:06 PM
roths! ha ha, you're funny.

I would still take Roth over Hasselback.

John_Madden
09-26-2006, 07:06 PM
1. Brett Favre
2. Brett Favre
3. Brett Favre
4. Brett Favre
5. Brett Favre

ducks
09-26-2006, 07:07 PM
brett favre sucks

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 07:41 PM
1. Brett Favre
2. Brett Favre
3. Brett Favre
4. Brett Favre
5. Brett Favre

Favre is the best QB of all time, and probably still in the top 10 in the league now.

stretch
09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I just never liked how he would always throw his [insert offensive position here] under the bus and rarely took responsibility for any of his losses. I agree, he was an incredible talent but I was glad he never got back to the big one soley because of the reason I stated.
thats the same problem with Peyton. Hes a choker, blames other teammates, etc...

stretch
09-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Vick doesn't belong on the list. He's an option pass-throwing halfback. When you turn him into a thrower, he gets exposed. If he were going to turn into a QB, he would have done it already.
well, IMO, what matters most about a QB is getting your team wins. and Vick gets his team wins. and it has been proven that without him, the Falcons are garbage. in the year he broke his leg, they were something like 2-10 without him, and 3-1 with him. he has done something no other team has done before, in beating the Packers at Lambeau Field, and did it very convincingly. he has also gotten the team to an NFC Championship game. the guy makes plays. he is not a good passing QB, there is no question about that. hes a very average passer. but he makes plays, and leads his team to victories. thats what matters most about a QB. not throwing TDs and high completion percentages (see Manning and Marino... great stats, isnt winning/never won shit). Vick is not known to be a choker either. he often makes big plays at big times, and is by far, one of the best playmakers in the entire NFL.

and cut him some slack. his reciever crew has always been pretty crappy, except for Crumpler, although hes a TE. if he had a guy like Marvin Harrison, or at least a well balanced WR crew that can make catches and get open, he would likely be a much better passer. its hard to make throws when your recievers are too crappy to get separation, or make catches.

stretch
09-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Favre is the best QB of all time, and probably still in the top 10 in the league now.
do you really think he is the best QB of all time?

bigzak25
09-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I see mark brunell gets no love...

:lmao

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 08:43 PM
everyone is dumb, then. cause Palmer and McNabb are better than Manning. what has Manning ever won...? McNabb has been there (SB) and does more with less every year and Palmer, you can just tell, is SOLID. Cincy probably wins it all last year if does not get a cheap shot in the knee. Manning is a choke artist.

So it was Manning's fault Vanderjadgt missed a fucking FG? And Ben made a miracle tackle? I see. Everything's bright now.

Spurs rock
09-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Daunte Culpepper

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 09:12 PM
do you really think he is the best QB of all time?

yes.

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 09:25 PM
So it was Manning's fault Vanderjadgt missed a fucking FG? And Ben made a miracle tackle? I see. Everything's bright now.

no. but he gets some blame for the first half of the game. he should have put his team in a better position than down 21-3 entering the fourth.

btw, why the hell is everyone on vanderjagt's case for missing that field goal? it was not a chip shot, a 30 yarder, or a 40 yarder...it is 46 yards!!! thats not easy. besides, manning did not even show up till the fourth, someone should have told him they play 3 quarters nowadays.

finally, i am not saying Manning is not a great QB, cause he is. he's just not as good as the top 3. and he is a choker...

stretch
09-26-2006, 09:36 PM
yes.
im just curious why you put him ahead of guys like Montana, Elway, Young, Brady, etc...?

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
no. but he gets some blame for the first half of the game. he should have put his team in a better position than down 21-3 entering the fourth.

btw, why the hell is everyone on vanderjagt's case for missing that field goal? it was not a chip shot, a 30 yarder, or a 40 yarder...it is 46 yards!!! thats not easy. besides, manning did not even show up till the fourth, someone should have told him they play 3 quarters nowadays.

finally, i am not saying Manning is not a great QB, cause he is. he's just not as good as the top 3. and he is a choker...

Shit happens.

49 TD's ain't bad though :smokin

TheSanityAnnex
09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Shit happens.

49 TD's ain't bad though :smokinLosing your winning streak at home ain't bad either, shit happens.

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Losing your winning streak at home ain't bad either, shit happens.

Lil Dungy killing himself ruining the perfect season, shit happens.

TheSanityAnnex
09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Lil Dungy killing himself ruining the perfect season, shit happens.
What a fucking cop out.

The San Diego Zoo Defense ruined your perfect season. Peyton didn't know what the fuck to do under all that pressure. And the refs even tried to help you guys out when the game was slipping away, only to get burned by Michael "Burner" Turner.

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Last year, shit happens

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
And you couldn't be stating that him killing himself didn't put a big hit emotionally on the team?

TheSanityAnnex
09-26-2006, 10:05 PM
And you couldn't be stating that him killing himself didn't put a big hit emotionally on the team?I just did.

Steve Foley, an actual player on the Chargers team, got shot three times recently. The Chargers haven't used that as an excuse for a loss. Oh wait, they haven't lost.

johngateswhiteley
09-26-2006, 10:07 PM
im just curious why you put him ahead of guys like Montana, Elway, Young, Brady, etc...?

fair enough. Favre plays with more passion than those QBs and any QB i have ever seen. he consistantly won with less talent and was willing to do whatever it took ti get the job done.

...is he the most talented QB, no. was he the best, imo, yes. and this quote probably best sums up Favre:

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who
points out how the strong man stumbles or where
the doer of deeds could have done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the
arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and
blood,
who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short
again and again,
because there is no effort without error or
shortcoming,
but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great
devotions,
who spends himself for a worthy cause;
who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of
high achievement,
and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails
while daring greatly,
so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

--Teddy Roosevelt

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 10:12 PM
I just did.

Steve Foley, an actual player on the Chargers team, got shot three times recently. The Chargers haven't used that as an excuse for a loss. Oh wait, they haven't lost.

Hmmmm, the Colts haven't lost this year either. 3-0. :tu Next 2 weeks are a wrap too with the Jets and Titans.

TheSanityAnnex
09-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Hmmmm, the Colts haven't lost this year either. 3-0.
Point missed?

Excuses are like assholes.........and you know the rest.

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Point missed?

Excuses are like assholes.........and you know the rest.

No. You tried to gloat about yalls 3-0 record. So did I.

TheSanityAnnex
09-26-2006, 10:44 PM
No. You tried to gloat about yalls 3-0 record. So did I.
No, you completely missed the fact that an actual player was shot and injured yet the team still plays on.

dirk4mvp
09-26-2006, 10:47 PM
So you have to be on the team to have an actual emotional impact?

leemajors
09-26-2006, 10:56 PM
fair enough. Favre plays with more passion than those QBs and any QB i have ever seen. he consistantly won with less talent and was willing to do whatever it took ti get the job done.

...is he the most talented QB, no. was he the best, imo, yes.

ehh, i would rank favre below all them. cannon, no brain. he had to ask ty detmer what a nickel package was after he had been in the league for years. i would say elway played with way more passion and proved it in their super bowl matchup.

leemajors
09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
No, you completely missed the fact that an actual player was shot and injured yet the team still plays on.

not to be picky here, and i don't agree with dungy's son dying as an excuse - if anything they should have rallied around him and kept going strong for dungy, but foley's shooting was an entire other animal:

"It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.

The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times."

sounds like dude was hopped up on crazy drugs continuing to come at the officer after being shot.

MajorMike
09-27-2006, 07:51 AM
T. Brady
P. Manning
C. Palmer
M. Hasselbeck
D. McNabb

Hard to argue. I hate brady and like Manning, but until Peyton wins the big one you can't say he is better. By that same logic, you might argue that Farve should go in there, however we all know Farve hasn't played at an MVP level or kept his team in contention for some time.

stretch
09-27-2006, 08:33 AM

...is he the most talented QB, no. was he the best, imo, yes. and this quote probably best sums up Favre:

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who
points out how the strong man stumbles or where
the doer of deeds could have done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the
arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and
blood,
who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short
again and again,
because there is no effort without error or
shortcoming,
but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great
devotions,
who spends himself for a worthy cause;
who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of
high achievement,
and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails
while daring greatly,
so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

--Teddy Roosevelt
thats cool. i respect peoples viewpoints of saying that Favre is the best QB of all time. i dont personally agree that he is, but i respect peoples opinions that put him up there, and there are a lot of good points for that as well, such as the lack of talent he had compared to guys like Montana and Elway. and there is no question the guy has incredible passion and heart for the game. thats probably what i appreciate most about the guy. he plays football for love of the game. thats something that many talented players lack, and therefore are not able to play to their abilities.