PDA

View Full Version : Popovich: Third Point Guard Is A Necessity

timvp
10-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Roster moves: The Spurs waived point guard Marque Perry, replacing him with Mike Wilks.

Wilks, who attended Rice, has played for the Minnesota Timberwolves, Atlanta Hawks and Houston Rockets before he was recently cut by the Chicago Bulls. He opted to sign with the Spurs instead of returning to the Rockets.

With backup point guard Beno Udrih sidelined with a bruised right knee, Wilks figures to be on the roster when the season opens Wednesday.

Having a third point guard is "a necessity," Popovich said. "I don't know Beno well enough to know how sturdy he's going to be. We'll have to wait and see over time. In the meantime, it's not wise to just guess. We want to make sure we're covered."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102804.C.BKNspurs.gamer.30794f16.html

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Of course it is Pop, we've got to start training Tony's replacement and his replacement's backup for next year. :shootme

whottt
10-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Too bad AJ didn't come through for us when we needed him. Instead he took the money(like he usually does). As usual...it's all about AJ with the little Napoleon. I mean I assume the Spurs were hell bent on signing him. A pity he elected to go with the Mavs and retire a Mav.

toosmallshoes
10-28-2004, 05:26 AM
why exactly are you dogging on AJ? he may retire a mav, but his number's gonna hang in the SBC center. Going for the money is the smart and right move for him. after the number of times the spurs cut him and resigned him, why shouldn't he be loyal to the team that pays him the most instead of to the team that cut him on the very day he was the best man in David Robinson's wedding?

ducks
10-28-2004, 10:22 AM
if I was in charge his number would not hang in the sbc

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
his number's gonna hang in the SBC center.

One of the more (if not the most) embarrassing footnotes of this franchise's history.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2004, 01:25 PM
One of the more (if not the most) embarrassing footnotes of this franchise's history.

I'm torn between that decision and the one to retire #00 for that distinction. I think #6 will hang because #00 hangs. Neither should, but it's awfully difficult to break that precedent.

aka_USAPA
10-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Roster moves: The Spurs waived point guard Marque Perry, replacing him with Mike Wilks.

Wilks, who attended Rice, has played for the Minnesota Timberwolves, Atlanta Hawks and Houston Rockets before he was recently cut by the Chicago Bulls. He opted to sign with the Spurs instead of returning to the Rockets.

With backup point guard Beno Udrih sidelined with a bruised right knee, Wilks figures to be on the roster when the season opens Wednesday.

Having a third point guard is "a necessity," Popovich said. "I don't know Beno well enough to know how sturdy he's going to be. We'll have to wait and see over time. In the meantime, it's not wise to just guess. We want to make sure we're covered."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102804.C.BKNspurs.gamer.30794f16.html

Sounds like this could be trouble. I wonder how related this is to the contract talks with Parker...

THE_SHOES
10-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Of course it is Pop, we've got to start training Tony's replacement and his replacement's backup for next year. :shootme

Question,Why can't Tony P get any respect in Texas? Do you believe that
he is overpaid?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 02:19 PM
No it shouldn't. We went from a small market scrub franchise who couldn't win jack to one that won two championships, went toe to toe with one of the great franchises in league history, and is in very good position to add more rings to the franchise war chest.

In short, our standards have been upped (no disrespect to Johnny Moore).

The Shoes... did you see the gun to head icon? It was sarcasm. I am pissed to no end that we won't up it to 66 million and get it over with.

THE_SHOES
10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh, Also, would a Barry/Mano backcourt be more productive without TP? I'm thinking management is feeling confident enough to let Parker have his temper tantrum while he will be a "restricted free ageant" San Antonio may also feel confident that Parker can't field the kind of payday he wants and, the Spurs can then match any offer TP gets should they choose to call his bluff.

Meanwhile should the Mano/Barry combo prove to be more of what Pop wants and, I'll bet it is Parker can be packaged with Nesto to get damn near what ever big they want including Yao!

Nnnnnnnnaaaaahhhhh. I may have gotten carried away...

aka_USAPA
10-28-2004, 03:27 PM
I see the Yao angle though since Timmy can't win without a dominating big man.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Brent Barry is 32. Tony is 22. Do you want to win one championship, or six? We've got to capitalize on Tim's prime and get some rings. You don't do it by dicking around with one of the key cogs of the team.

toosmallshoes
10-29-2004, 01:47 AM
the most embarrasing footnote in franchise history: when Dennis Rodman slept through a game.