PDA

View Full Version : Golf Great Byron Nelson Dead at 94

BeerIsGood!
09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
For those golf fanatics here... a big loss to the golfing community.

Byron Nelson dies at Roanoke home

Byron Nelson died about 1 p.m. today at his home in Roanoke, according to an announcement on the Tarrant County medical examiner's web site.

He was 94. He is survived by his wife, Peggy.

Nelson won 52 events and five major championships during a PGA career that includes the most dominant season ever. He won 18 tournaments in 1945, including 11 consecutively.

Nelson won the Master's and the PGA twice and the U.S. Open once.

The EDS Byron Nelson Championship in Las Colinas is the only PGA Tour tournament named for a former player.

Nelson was nominated this year for the Congressional Gold Medal, the nation's highest civilian award.

"Certainly, it's the greatest honor I could have in this country," Nelson said in May during the EDS Byron Nelson Championship. "I've never dreamed of it. I'm getting that because of this tournament."

U.S. Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Lewisville, said Nelson's record of philanthropy -- which includes $88 million raised for charity through the annual PGA Tour event that bears his name -- is well-known throughout Congress.

The Salesmanship Club of Dallas, whose Youth and Family Centers are the sole beneficiary of the tournament's proceeds, estimates that the tournament has helped 40,000 families in the Metroplex since the event took Nelson's name in 1968.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Damn.

Well, I'm sure there are some pretty great fairways where he's going.

leemajors
09-26-2006, 04:23 PM
wow, 18 tourneys in one year. then again, you had to play hard every week to make your bread at that point - don't think that season will ever come close to being matched. a true gentleman in every sense of the word, sad day.

travis2
09-27-2006, 12:28 PM
A toast to him and prayers for his family...

In the spirit of rejoicing when a soul departs for a better place...

At least he finished 6 under...

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
11 in a row.

Tiger is good but I don't think he will get that.

RIP Lord Byron