PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Owens attempted suicide

Pages : [1] 2

crgassoc
09-27-2006, 08:18 AM
According to a Dallas Police report obtained by news 8, Dallas Cowboys star receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide Tuesday night. The report also says that Owens was depressed and reportedly took prescription pain pills. A woman companion observed him putting two pills in his mouth. The woman says the prescription of 40 pills was filled on September 18th and until yesterday he'd taken only five pills. According to the police report, Owens was asked if he'd taken the rest of the prescription. Owens said yes. According to the report, police also asked if he was trying to harm himself. Owens answered yes. Terrell Owens was treated at Baylor University Medical Center.

LEONARD
09-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Yep, listening to The Ticket in Dallas right now...

The online stream is slammed, but you can try it at theticket.com

crgassoc
09-27-2006, 08:21 AM
I can't get theticket online. Any word on how he is doing?

Taco
09-27-2006, 08:26 AM
http://www.ticket760.com/main.html

LEONARD
09-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Still in the hospital...no word on his condition (I'm sure he's fine)...

LEONARD
09-27-2006, 08:28 AM
http://www.ticket760.com/main.html

I don't know if THAT Ticket is reporting it or not...I'm referring THE Ticket in Dallas... ;)

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 08:37 AM
THAT Ticket is reporting it as well. They have John Rhadigan on now talking about it.

Hate to break it to ya but Dallas is not THE Ticket. There are "tickets" all over the country.

Taco
09-27-2006, 08:43 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/092706spoowens.1e22584a.html

Report: T.O. attempted suicide

08:41 AM CDT on Wednesday, September 27, 2006

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Cowboys star receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide Tuesday night by swallowing prescription pain medication, according to a source who spoke to WFAA-TV.

A Dallas police report, which does not name Owens, says the victim acknowledged to police that he had taken the pills and was trying to harm himself, WFAA-TV reported Wednesday. The source identified the unnamed victim as Owens.

Owens was treated at Baylor University Medical Center for an undisclosed reason.

According to KTVT-TV, doctors were attempting to induce vomiting.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said late Tuesday he was unaware of Owens’ trip to the hospital, and Owens’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and publicist, Kim Etheridge, could not be reached for comment.

Last week, according to Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, Owens had a reaction to the pain medicine he was given following surgery in which a plate was inserted into his right hand to stabilize a fractured fourth metacarpal. Parcells said Owens became ill and could not work out, but he was improved the next day.

On Tuesday, Owens did not speak with the media, but he appeared to be in good spirits.

He continued conditioning work on the side with associate trainer Britt Brown and caught passes. He was wearing gloves and had his ring and middle fingers on his right hand taped together.

Earlier Tuesday, Parcells said Owens would practice some today and he had not ruled Owens out from playing Sunday at Tennessee. Owens was wearing a bone growth simulator Tuesday to help the healing process. According to Parcells, the swelling in Owens’ hand had gone down, and the biggest challenge for Owens would be handling the pain of catching passes.

“I have to see him out there being a confident player,” Parcells said. “I don’t want him out there thinking about something. If it’s going act as a deterrent, I don’t want that because that would eventually hurt us. But if he can get to the point where it looks like he can function and he feels pretty good about it (then Parcells would play him).

“I’m talking to him every day, seeing how he’s doing. We’re moving forward. We have a lot of time between now and the game.”

LEONARD
09-27-2006, 08:44 AM
THAT Ticket is reporting it as well. They have John Rhadigan on now talking about it.

Hate to break it to ya but Dallas is not THE Ticket. There are "tickets" all over the country.

Of course there are...mockery is the highest form of flattery... :lol

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Nothing on ESPN yet...they still have it as a reaction to the medicine.

ducks
09-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Police report: Owens hospitalized after suicide attempt
DALLAS -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after fire rescue personnel arrived.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that [his] prescription pain medication was empty and observed [Owens] putting two pills in his mouth,'' the police report said.

The worker attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. The worker then asked Owens "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time [he] stated, 'Yes.'"

Owens was taken to the emergency room Tuesday night. A source close to Owens told ESPN's Ed Werder early Wednesday morning that Owens was suffering an adverse reaction to painkillers taken for treatment of his fractured hand.

"This is not serious," Owens' publicist Kim Etheridge said in Wednesday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

A report earlier Tuesday stated that Owens would practice with the team Wednesday and possibly play Sunday at Tennessee, but his availability this week and beyond is now uncertain.

Doctors treating the Dallas Cowboys receiver were trying to induce vomiting when he arrived at Baylor Medical Center, according to a television report.

Owens was brought by a fire rescue crew to the hospital, Dallas-Fort Worth television station KTVT reported, citing sources the television station did not identify. A reporter for the station later said she saw Owens being wheeled down the hall.

Calls from The Associated Press to Owens' agent, his publicist and the Cowboys were not immediately returned Tuesday night. The hospital told the AP that they do not have a patient registered by Owens' name; however, federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Owens fractured the fourth metacarpal bone in the Cowboys' victory over the Washington Redskins and underwent surgery on Sept. 18. The next day, a plate was screwed in, protecting the bone so it can heal without further damage.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells mentioned in a press conference shortly thereafter that pain medication had made Owens ill, apparently making this the second time he has had an adverse reaction. The incident that sent him to the hospital Tuesday night apparently occurred sometime after Owens took medication after catching passes at the Cowboys' facility on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the Cowboys also practiced without tight end Jason Witten, whose wife was having a baby. Wide receiver Terry Glenn practiced, albeit with several stitches in his thumb.

"He was trying to cut some tape off his uniform," Parcells said. "He had his hand down in his pants and he missed. Fortunately he cut his hand."

With the Cowboys having had a bye last weekend, Owens could return without having missed a game. Before Tuesday's late developments, Owens said he would play Oct. 8, when he gets to face his former team, the Eagles, in Philadelphia.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

ducks
09-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Nothing on ESPN yet...they still have it as a reaction to the medicine.
that is espn title not mine

MajorMike
09-27-2006, 08:57 AM
SI.com reporting AP suicide story.

ducks
09-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Police: T.O. Hospital Visit Result of Attempted Suicide

Terrell Owens was hospitalized after the Dallas Cowboys wide receiver attempted to kill himself, police told FOX 4's Lynn Kawano Wednesday morning.
FOX 4's Lynn Kawano said a police report stated Owens ingested a large amount of prescription pain medication at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Owens publicist called 911 at 7:47 p.m. and asked for emergency crews to respond to Owens' home near Deep Ellum.

According to authorities and sources close to the athlete, when authorities asked if he was trying to harm himself, Owens said, "Yes."

Owens was transported to Baylor Medical Center's emergency room. He was released late Tuesday night.

FOX 4 tried contacting Owens' publicist by cell phone, but she did not answer or return the call.

A news conference is scheduled for later Wednesday morning.

Owens appeared on Good Day Tuesday morning to talk about the National Alliance to End Abuse organization's efforts to stop dating and family violence. He also spoke to students at two Dallas-area high schools later Tuesday.

The wide receiver also attended practice Tuesday afternoon despite being sidelined following surgery for a broken finger injury he suffered during the Sept. 17 game against the Washington Redskins.

Owens had a plate surgically placed in his hand and sources close to Owens said that he had become sick before from taking the pain medication prescribed to him after the surgery.

Stay tuned to myFOXdfw.com and FOX 4 News for updates.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1

Spurminator
09-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Can't say I'm surprised. Even before this happened it was clear that he had some kind of bipolar disorder (or something similar)...

I'm not a fan of his but I am sad for him. Hopefully he recovers physically and otherwise.

mcornelio
09-27-2006, 09:20 AM
suicide is for pussies

ducks
09-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Dallas police officials said they were planning a news conference later Wednesday, did not immediately release a time. A hospital spokeswoman said early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

flipcritic
09-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Even I was shocked by this. I hated his ass as a player (I'm a Eagles fan). But I do hope he's ok. Looks like he does have mental problems after all (and I don't say that lightly).

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 09:27 AM
I hope he gets well soon and gets some treatment for his depression or other problems.

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 09:32 AM
How terrible!

I pray he has a speedy all around- mental & physical- recovery. Poor man!

LEONARD
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
police report
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0927061owens1.html

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 09:42 AM
One thing I don't understand is the articles all say he was released on Tuesday night. If he tried to kill himself Tuesday evening, a hospital isn't going to release him a couple hours later, right? Don't you automatically get sent to 24/48 hour mental observation or whatever?

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
One thing I don't understand is the articles all say he was released on Tuesday night. If he tried to kill himself Tuesday evening, a hospital isn't going to release him a couple hours later, right? Don't you automatically get sent to 24/48 hour mental observation or whatever?

I knew a guy who tried to do the same thing to himself. Pills and booze. He stayed for three days because of both fear that he would try again and that the pills just destroy your liver and can cause a lot of other problems that they have to make sure don't occur.

Man, as much as I dislike the guy, you sort of have to feel for him. Obviously he has a lot of issues that haven't been brought to the media's attention.

Or could it be that playing for the Cowboys is just that bad?

Spurminator
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
He could have been readmitted under a different name... Or anonymously.

I imagine there's a lot of damage control happening right now.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 09:51 AM
He could have been readmitted under a different name... Or anonymously.

I imagine there's a lot of damage control happening right now.

Yeah, the latest stories say he was released this morning (initial stories said he was released last night). I'm guessing he could have been released into a private doctors care or re-admitted anonymously or whatever.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 09:53 AM
I was listening to ESPN on Sirius this morning and they had some reporters who covered the cowboys and they were saying they talked to the Un-named lady and she did not give the same story that is in the police report. They also said that due to his condition when arriving at the hospital that their could have been communication problems when they were asking him questions.

they also reported on espn radio that the doctors said they did not pump his stomach or induce vomiting at the hospital. This strongly contradicts that he took 35 pain pills as originally reported.

I do not have a link, just what I heard.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 09:54 AM
You know what though, the more I think about it the less sorry I feel for him. This jackass gets paid millions of dollars to play a game that 75% of men throughout America would punch their mothers in the face in order to play. He has looks, talent, intelligence (though could be argued) and enough money to pay for his family to live extremely comfortable for the next five or so generations. Then he goes and tries to off himself. He's always been called the most selfish player in the NFL and this just goes to show that he's also selfish in regards to his family and friends as well.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
I was listening to ESPN on Sirius this morning and they had some reporters who covered the cowboys and they were saying they talked to the Un-named lady and she did not give the same story that is in the police report. They also said that due to his condition when arriving at the hospital that their could have been communication problems when they were asking him questions.

they also reported on espn radio that the doctors said they did not pump his stomach or induce vomiting at the hospital. This strongly contradicts that he took 35 pain pills as originally reported.

I do not have a link, just what I heard.

Stomach pumping and inducing vomit doesn't work if it's been a certain length of time since ingesting the pills.

You're right though, this whole thing could very well be a misunderstanding.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
appereantly the cowboys have also scheduled a press conference this afternoon to clear things up.

ducks
09-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, the latest stories say he was released this morning (initial stories said he was released last night). I'm guessing he could have been released into a private doctors care or re-admitted anonymously or whatever.
he is special he is an athlete
people would be in his room if they knew he is was in the hospital

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
It could all be a misunderstanding but the AP keeps saying they got the info for their story from the police report. I don't think the police report is wrong (I guess it could be).

The police and the Cowboys (independently) are supposed to be making some announcement later today.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Stomach pumping and inducing vomit doesn't work if it's been a certain length of time since ingesting the pills.

You're right though, this whole thing could very well be a misunderstanding.

yea they made the same point on the radio. I think they were just pointing out the misrepresentation of some of the points with the story.

they said the lady who was with him and called the paramedics said that he took two pills and had an allergic reaction, at which point she made the call. she said he never witnessed him downing the bottle. Their is also a story floating that he got the pills confused with supplements. it sounds like things will not be clear until the press conferences this afternoon.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 10:01 AM
It could all be a misunderstanding but the AP keeps saying they got the info for their story from the police report. I don't think the police report is wrong (I guess it could be).

The police and the Cowboys (independently) are supposed to be making some announcement later today.

their was a reporter saying that the doctor said that the TO was very disoriented when he spoke to the police and that the report may misrepresent or spin what actually happened. It should be interesting to see what is said in the press conference.

what I want to know is why was there even a police report? do they always do one when you are taken to the hospital by an ambulance?

Also if the report did not need to be explained why are they having a press conference?

:elephant

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:01 AM
If that smoking gun report is really the police report, it says the police said the bottle was empty, that he said he had only taken five pills prior to yesterday and that they asked him he took the rest of the bottle, he answered yes. They asked him if he was trying to harm himself and he answered yes. If that's the actually police report, then it's a pretty clear suicide attempt. If it's not the police report, then that's pretty f'd up to circulate it.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
what I want to know is why was there even a police report? do they always do one when you are taken to the hospital by an ambulance?

I think they always take one when there is a suicide attempt.

johnsmith
If that smoking gun report is really the police report, it says the police said the bottle was empty, that he said he had only taken five pills prior to yesterday and that they asked him he took the rest of the bottle, he answered yes. They asked him if he was trying to harm himself and he answered yes. If that's the actually police report, then it's a pretty clear suicide attempt. If it's not the police report, then that's pretty f'd up to circulate it.

Then again, TO has pissed off enough people throughout America, maybe it's a little sweet revenge.

johnsmith

That is correct.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Does anyone know if they decide it is a suicide by the 911 call or by what the hospital said? or both?

MosesGuthrie
Then again, TO has pissed off enough people throughout America, maybe it's a little sweet revenge.

Dude..that's fucked up. Suicide is never a joke and neither is depression.

johnsmith
Does anyone know if they attempt is based on the 911 call or the hospital report?

What do you mean?

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Dallas Police are on ESPN now.

ducks
Press conference on the ticket now!

johnsmith
Dude..that's fucked up. Suicide is never a joke and neither is depression.

Oh quit.

MosesGuthrie
You first.

johnsmith
Dallas Police are on ESPN now.

Someone fill me in.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
You first.

I choose to joke.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
They are not giving a lot of details...mostly "talk to Mr. Owens" or "Im not answering questions"

And now its over.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
What do you mean?

sorry, I did an edit to fix the statement. I was trying to find out if the police are called because the initial 911 call was for an attempted suicide or because of what the hospital report reads. Or can it be for either?

MosesGuthrie
I choose to joke.

and I choose to respond.

tlongII
I hope he's okay and gets some treatment for his depression.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 10:07 AM
I have had a family member deal with depression. I am not a huge TO fan but I hope that if he is truly fighting this, he gets help.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:07 AM
They basically didn't say anything.

He said that there was information that was released that he doesn't know how it was released but that he's not going to address it.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:08 AM
sorry, I did an edit to fix the statement. I was trying to find out if the police are called because the initial 911 call was for an attempted suicide or because of what the hospital report reads. Or can it be for either?

I think it can be for either. Not sure though.

MosesGuthrie
On the Ticket this morning...there was a report of his publicist offering an explanation of he was taking suppliments at the same time and got the two mixed up.

I don't buy that.

MosesGuthrie
They basically didn't say anything.

He said that there was information that was released that he doesn't know how it was released but that he's not going to address it.

I imagine the Cowboys Press Conference will be similar.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I have had a family member deal with depression. I am not a huge TO fan but I hope that if he is truly fighting this, he gets help.

I bet your family member didn't have more money then God and didn't have the greatest job in the world and didn't have a perfect life.......etc.

I agree with you, depression is bad news and sad when someone has to deal with it. I just think most people have "real" problems when dealing with it.

ShoogarBear
09-27-2006, 10:09 AM
One thing I don't understand is the articles all say he was released on Tuesday night. If he tried to kill himself Tuesday evening, a hospital isn't going to release him a couple hours later, right? Don't you automatically get sent to 24/48 hour mental observation or whatever?If you're medically stable and not a threat to others, I believe in almost every state they can't hold you against your will.

The other thing is, after someone has taken a big dose of narcotics, you ask them only one time were they trying to hurt themselves and they say "Yes", I don't know how reliable that answer is. I would think they have to re-address that after the meds have worn off.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:10 AM
On the Ticket this morning...there was a report of his publicist offering an explanation of he was taking suppliments at the same time and got the two mixed up.

I don't buy that.

Of all the supplements I've taken, I don't recall taking any of them 40 at a time.

ShoogarBear
09-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I bet your family member didn't have more money then God and didn't have the greatest job in the world and didn't have a perfect life.......etc.

I agree with you, depression is bad news and sad when someone has to deal with it. I just think most people have "real" problems when dealing with it.Yeah, that Howard Hughes guy had no excuse for mental illness.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:11 AM
If you're medically stable and not a threat to others, I believe in almost every state they can't hold you against your will.

The other thing is, after someone has taken a big dose of narcotics, you ask them only one time were they trying to hurt themselves and they say "Yes", I don't know how reliable that answer is. I would think they have to re-address that after the meds have worn off.

Yeah but taking 40 pills of pain medication would totally fuck with your liver and you wouldn't be medically stable. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, that Howard Hughes guy had no excuse for mental illness.

Howard Hughes was insane. There is a difference between insanity and depression.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 10:12 AM

I agree with you, depression is bad news and sad when someone has to deal with it. I just think most people have "real" problems when dealing with it.

You are right...because I would have asked for a loan. :)

The thing about depression though is that it can be different for different people. A star athlete is no less vulnerable to it than anyone else. Different factors are involved depending on the person. Just because someone may have a perfect life, doesn't mean they can't be depressed. My relative, we all thought, had a great life. She never seemed down.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:13 AM
You are right...because I would have asked for a loan. :)

The thing about depression though is that it can be different for different people. A star athlete is no less vulnerable to it than anyone else. Different factors are involved depending on the person. Just because someone may have a perfect life, doesn't mean they can't be depressed. My relative, we all thought, had a great life. She never seemed down.

Ok, did your relative ever attempt suicide? And tell me to shut up if you don't want to even discuss this, I won't take offense.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 10:14 AM
No she didn't but she considered it.

Her biggest fear was her children finding her body.

One of those children being me.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Of all the supplements I've taken, I don't recall taking any of them 40 at a time.

yea but have you seen how big he is? :rolleyes

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 10:15 AM
They are talking about this on Cold Pizza now.

Skip Bayless must be happy with all this. :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I imagine the Cowboys Press Conference will be similar.

Well I believe the hospital/police can't say anything because of HIPPA law since it's not a criminal matter. Hopefully the Cowboys shed some light on it if it's a misunderstanding.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
No she didn't but she considered it.

Her biggest fear was her children finding her body.

One of those children being me.

See, this is an example of someone actually thinking about others. It probably isn't ideally what you'd want to be the reason someone chooses life over death but at least it's thinking about loved ones.

People that commit suicide have lost hope and the ability to reason with themself in order to make a decision to live. They do not think about anyone else other then themselves and that pisses me off.

Now, people that have failed a suicide attempt are probably the most confused human beings as well as lonely human beings on the planet. The few days afterwards being the toughest part. This is when (from what I've personally seen) the time in which the patient can see all of their family and friends come to their side and either make a decision right then and there, do I want to live for these people or do I attempt again. From the times I've been around it I've been fortunate to see people that have made the first decision rather then the second.
Therapy afterwards, of which there is a lot, is mainly to make sure the person continues to heal because for the most part they made the decision to live or die right at the beginning.

I have no idea why I just typed that............here...........TO tried to kill himself because he's humiliated being a Cowboy..........I feel better now.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:21 AM
They are talking about this on Cold Pizza now.

Skip Bayless must be happy with all this. :rolleyes

I can't stand Skip Bayless.

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 10:26 AM
It's hard to know what is true in situations like these.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:27 AM
It's hard to know what is true in situations like these.

You said hard.

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
From Cold Pizza a few minutes ago.

One of the many, for lack of a better word, version of what happened.

Clarence E Hill JR. -Fort Worth Star- Telegram- via phone interview

Hill said he talked to Owen yesterday.
Hill says that while he is no psychiatrist, Owens certainly did not seem depressed to him. Said that Owens was looking forward to playing in Philly next week ( i.e. seemed in a good state of mind)

Clarence Hill has spoken to Owens publicist, Kim.
This is what he said, she said.

Kim told Hill that reports of Owen's attempting suicide are untrue. Kim said Owens had a bad reaction to some ( I believe pain) pills. Kim said Owen was not trying to harm himself; did not swallow thirty pills. According to Kim, Owens did not have his stomach pumped and did not vomit and will be released from the hospial later today.

Spurminator
09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Hopefully the Cowboys shed some light on it if it's a misunderstanding.

I'm 95% sure the Cowboys will say it was a misunderstanding. Unfortunately, that could either be true or it could be damage control.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Maybe fame and all the scrutiny got to him.

Sad to say but he brought a lot of that on himself..maybe the more he became depressed the more outrageous he became to try and snap out of it.

Just a thought.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:30 AM
It will be interesting to see if that's what his publicist actually says in an official statement. The second/third hand information that's being told in the media isn't doing anyone any good.

Obviously he wants his privacy but I'd think at some point his publicist or the Cowboys will give a statement with some real information.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 10:31 AM
The ticket said they handed out doctored police reports after the press conference.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:32 AM
The ticket said they handed out doctored police reports after the press conference.

What do you mean doctored police reports? They altered the original reports and it was obvious to the press?

kskonn
09-27-2006, 10:32 AM
It will be interesting to see if that's what his publicist actually says in an official statement. The second/third hand information that's being told in the media isn't doing anyone any good.

Obviously he wants his privacy but I'd think at some point his publicist or the Cowboys will give a statement with some real information.

she gave one in the star telegram, let me see if I can find it.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
she gave one in the star telegram, let me see if I can find it.

The only quote I saw from her was "This is not serious".

kskonn
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15620551.htm

Kim Etheridge, Owens' publicist, was described in the report as "a woman companion" who said she observed him putting two pills in his mouth."

She said Wednesday morning that Owens had an allergic reaction to taking pain medication and supplements.

She said he did not intentionally try to harm himself.

Lt. Rick Watson, a Dallas police spokesman, said at a media briefing Wednesday morning that "a medical situation" had occurred and that there is no investigation.

He declined to answer questions or to verify the accuracy of the police report, although he did pass out redacted copies.

"This is a high-profile person," Watson said. "We looked into it and determined that there was not a criminal offense in this incident."

"We would do it the exact same way" no matter who was involved, he said.

Etheridge said Owens "is fine."

"He will be leaving the hospital today," she said.

Owens is being treated at Baylor University Medical Center.

Etheredge disputes the claim in the report because she said Owens was groggy at the time he was being questioned.

According to the police narrative, the woman said the prescription of 40 pills was filled on September 18 and, until Tuesday, Owens had taken only five pills.

The police report said Owens was asked if he had taken the rest of the prescription. Owens said, "Yes."

According to the report, police also asked if he was trying to harm himself. Owens answered, "Yes."

That Owens was groggy and lethargic was the reason Etheredge called 911 in the first place.

Etheridge said Owens was in pain stemming from the fractured right hand, suffered against Washington two weeks ago.

He underwent surgery to have a plate and three pins placed in the hand last Monday.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said at the time that Owens was having a bad reaction to the pain medication.

Etheridge said Owens experienced more pain and discomfort on Tuesday.

He took some pain pills and did some "microcurrent" treatment.

She said he also took some supplements and "it kicked in a reaction."

"When I went to grab him, he was out of it," Etheridge said. "That’s why I called 911."

Etheridge said Owens did not have his stomach pumped at the hospital and did not vomit.

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 10:34 AM

I agree.

I never know how much to believe publicists since there job is to make their clients look as good as possible.
Still it would be interesting to hear what she says.

ducks
09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
taking 35 pills is trying to harm yourself no matter what they try to spin this

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
From DMN:

His publicist, Kim Etheredge, said Wednesday morning that she called 911 because Owens appeared lethargic.

"The police asked him a lot of questions," she said, "but he could barely answer them."

But she denied the suicide report, contending that the pain killers prescribed after surgery to repair his broken hand combined with the supplements that are part of his training regimen caused his body to react poorly.

Kori Ellis
09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
That story from her could be the truth or a coverup but we might never know, I guess. A lot of things could have happened, he could have tried to commit suicide, he could have had an allergic reaction, or he could have just drama queeen'd and said he tried to commit suicide when he really didn't.

Hopefully he gets well.

ducks
taking 35 at one time is not though

Kori Ellis

There's conflicting reports to the number of pills he took too.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Do you mean reports with information redacted (usually with a Sharpie)?

I wouldn't consider those doctored, since the information isn't changed, just hidden from public view. The San Angelo Police Department used to do that with the reports I needed and I would say that most PDs would do the same.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 10:39 AM
That story from her could be the truth or a coverup but we might never know, I guess. A lot of things could have happened, he could have tried to commit suicide, he could have had an allergic reaction, or he could have just drama queeen'd and said he tried to commit suicide when he really didn't.

Hopefully he gets well.

You're right, that's about all we can be certain of right now.

It was very interesting to read the "official" Cowboys.com report (updated about 9 a.m.). I understand what they're doing and why they're doing it, but talk about ignoring the white elephant in the room.

But it was very good about the specifics of the information that hadn't been made official.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:39 AM
I think we are forgetting one important part of this story though. Way to go Cowboys for picking up TO in the off season. I'd say all the pre-season predictions of him snapping and becoming a distraction to the team around week 7 were about four weeks off.

Priceless. Way to go "America's team".

ducks
09-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Etheridge said Owens "is fine."

"He will be leaving the hospital today," she said.

Owens is being treated at Baylor University Medical Center.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15620551.htm

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 10:44 AM
If Doctors believed Owens attempted suicide, is there a certain amount of time they are required to keep him in the hospital for observation?

I ask because if Owens is released later today, does that mean doctors believe this incident was an accident?

boutons_
09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Cowboys' Owens Reportedly Attempts Suicide

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 27, 2006; 11:31 AM

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide last night by overdosing on pain medication, according to a Dallas police report.

The police report, the details of which were first reported this morning by WFAA-TV in Dallas, said that Owens was depressed and had taken prescription pain pills. WFAA-TV posted the police report on its Web site.

A friend of Owens was quoted in the police report as saying that the Cowboys receiver had a prescription of 40 pills filled on Sept. 18 but had taken only five of those pills before yesterday.

The report said Owens had told his friend "that he was depressed." When Owens was asked if he had taken the rest of the prescription, he said, "Yes," according to the police report.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he had taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he had emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, 'Yes,' " the report said.

Earlier reports by another Dallas TV station and newspapers had said Owens was treated at Baylor University Medical Center after having an allergic reaction to pain medication yesterday. According to those reports, he was taken to the hospital's emergency room by a fire-rescue squad to have vomiting induced.

Owens suffered a broken finger during a game against the Washington Redskins 10 days ago. Before yesterday's developments, the Cowboys had been hopeful that he would practice today and perhaps play in Sunday's game at Tennessee.

One of the NFL's top receivers, Owens was signed by the Cowboys to a $25 million, three-year contract in March.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Cowboys' Owens Reportedly Attempts Suicide

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 27, 2006; 11:31 AM

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide last night by overdosing on pain medication, according to a Dallas police report.

The police report, the details of which were first reported this morning by WFAA-TV in Dallas, said that Owens was depressed and had taken prescription pain pills. WFAA-TV posted the police report on its Web site.

A friend of Owens was quoted in the police report as saying that the Cowboys receiver had a prescription of 40 pills filled on Sept. 18 but had taken only five of those pills before yesterday.

The report said Owens had told his friend "that he was depressed." When Owens was asked if he had taken the rest of the prescription, he said, "Yes," according to the police report.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he had taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he had emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, 'Yes,' " the report said.

Earlier reports by another Dallas TV station and newspapers had said Owens was treated at Baylor University Medical Center after having an allergic reaction to pain medication yesterday. According to those reports, he was taken to the hospital's emergency room by a fire-rescue squad to have vomiting induced.

Owens suffered a broken finger during a game against the Washington Redskins 10 days ago. Before yesterday's developments, the Cowboys had been hopeful that he would practice today and perhaps play in Sunday's game at Tennessee.

One of the NFL's top receivers, Owens was signed by the Cowboys to a $25 million, three-year contract in March.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Thanks Boutons, that was really helpful. We haven't been discussing this throughout the entire thread you jackass.
I wish Boutons would commit suicide.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Jake Plummer and Boutons should get together and shoot eachother in the head.

ducks
09-27-2006, 10:52 AM
link to boutons post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/27/AR2006092700735.html

ducks
09-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Jake Plummer and Boutons should get together and shoot eachother in the head.

dude that is not even funny

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:56 AM
dude that is not even funny

I disagree.

Fillmoe
As a Niner fan I wasn't a fan of TO, but this is truely sad an I hope the media and Espn cut him some slack now. Just let the dude breath for a couple years!

ducks
I disagree.
joking about life is stupid

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:57 AM
As a Niner fan I wasn't a fan of TO, but this is truely sad an I hope the media and Espn cut him some slack now. Just let the dude breath for a couple years!

Then he shouldn't have brought all the attention on himself if it's too much for him to handle.
Sucks when we make mistakes that come back to haunt us.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 10:57 AM
joking about life is stupid

How about you shut the fuck up and get over it.

ducks
09-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Question.

Inducing vomiting is the best or only method to correct an allergic reaction?

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 10:58 AM
From what I am hearing, it sounds like the publicist was right there with Owens when he took whatever medication he did.

If he was trying to commit suicide, why would he do it in front of someone who could and would call the police?

ducks
09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
How about you shut the fuck up and get over it.
ladies first

Mr. Peabody
09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Deion Sanders is on NFL Network, said TO will have a press conference within the next hour. If that's so, he is out of the hospital. Deion also said that TO was in good spirits and laughing about the attempted suicide reports.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Question.

Inducing vomiting is the best or only method to correct an allergic reaction?

again there are conflicting reports. Some say they did not induce vomiting others say they did. know one who is talking knows for sure.

sa_butta
09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
From what I am hearing, it sounds like the publicist was right there with Owens when he took whatever medication he did.

If he was trying to commit suicide, why would he do it in front of someone who could and would call the police?maybe it was a cry for help. He knew he had a problem.

Mr. Peabody
09-27-2006, 11:02 AM
If TO is already out of the hospital, then it wasn't a suicide attempt.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 11:03 AM

If he was trying to commit suicide, why would he do it in front of someone who could and would call the police?

I've seen that happen before. It's less of a suicide attempt then it is a "cry for help" type of a thing. They know they'll make it because they know someone is there or will be so they do it and take the chance.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 11:04 AM
ladies first

So are you over it?

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 11:04 AM

That was my thought too.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Yep.. Sounds like TO was just busy being TO and causing distractions to his team. Now I can go back to fucking hating him and hoping that he just gets hit by a car and is paralyzed rather then dead.

sa_butta
09-27-2006, 11:05 AM
I just hope this was not a lame attempt at some more publicity after breaking his finger.

ShoogarBear
09-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Vomiting does nothing to correct an allergic reaction. The only reason to induce vomiting is in case of a slow-digesting poison that might still be in the stomach. You can cause more harm if you make someone vomit up an acid or lye.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
09-27-2006, 11:27 AM
T.O.'s publicist is saying the suicide reports are wrong, but she was the one who made the 911 call (Correct me if i'm wrong) so, I think alot will be determined when they release the 911 tape

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
09-27-2006, 11:28 AM
ESPN just reported that he was just released, and gave reporters a thumbs up

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 11:28 AM
ESPN reports TO left the hospital with a thumbs-up to reporters.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 11:32 AM
The thumbs-up must have been because TO picked up Maurice Morris on his FF waiver wire.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Here comes the ESPN 24/7 coverage.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 11:47 AM
He wouldn't be speculating (Rick Watson, DPD PIO). He's a liar. PIOs are well-versed in police procedure.

Melmart1
09-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Johnsmith said he is only a prick in the political forum. He proved himself to be a liar.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
09-27-2006, 11:54 AM
TO will make a statement in a few minutes

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Is it possible that a mixture of suppliments and whatever pain meds he is on cause a reaction like this? I am not a doctor, I just play one on the radio.

It won't matter though...God himself could say TO is telling the truth and Cowboy haters would not believe them.

If he does need help, I hope he gets it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
It won't matter though...God himself could say TO is telling the truth and anti-Cowboy haters would not believe them.

How true that is.

Mike Irvin is saying he spoke with TO and that he denies the reports and it was a bad mixture of supplements and painkillers.

Also, that he didn't know what he was answering when questioned by the medical response team.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
If TO was smart, he would let the team docs administer his meds and suppliments...obviously he can't do it.

ShoogarBear
09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
If he has been released, then he did not take an overdose (intentional or not) of an acetaminophen-containing substance (like Tylenol #3 or Percocet).

kskonn
09-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Is it possible that a mixture of suppliments and whatever pain meds he is on cause a reaction like this? I am not a doctor, I just play one on the radio.

It won't matter though...God himself could say TO is telling the truth and anti-Cowboy haters would not believe them.

If he does need help, I hope he gets it.

"Anti-cowboy haters" is that people who hate on people who hate the cowboys?

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Its probably been addressed but doesn't a suicide attempt require observation at the hospital?

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:22 PM
"Anti-cowboy haters" is that people who hate on people who hate the cowboys?

:lmao

Ya got me bro! It has been edited! :)

IX_Equilibrium
T.O.'s publicist is saying the suicide reports are wrong

Of course she is, that's her job.

Publicists have about as much credability as defense attorneys.

Johnny_Blaze_47
Dan Le Batard made a good point (one of few he ever does).

He wants to stop hearing from everybody and hear from Owens himself.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Yes he did. He believes that if nothing else, TO tells the truth.

j-6
09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Did he take one pill for every million that Dirk's new contract outpays his own?

MosesGuthrie
^^^^One pill for every cheeto

IX_Equilibrium

Exactly

I am laughing at this shit. I am laughing at the Cowboys for thinking that Owens wouldn't be a huge distraction and detrement to the team after his past antics.

Most of all, I am laughing at T.O. That pathetic piece of shit has all of the talent in the world and has had chance after chance to redeem himself, but he continues to make a mockery of the NFL. I was thinking at 1st that it was too bad he didn't do himself in, but I am glad he is alive now. If he were dead, the morons at ESPN would have made him a martyr. Now he has to live with the continued embarrassment of his behavior.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
You know, this all could have been averted if George Teague had been around to knock the pills out of Terrell's mouth.

IX_Equilibrium
09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Dan Le Batard made a good point (one of few he ever does).

He wants to stop hearing from everybody and hear from Owens himself.

Dan the retard needs to understand that Owens is going to try to cover things up as much as anyone else.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:26 PM
You know, this all could have been averted if George Teague had been around to knock the pills out of Terrell's mouth.

:lol

johnsmith
Exactly

I am laughing at this shit. I am laughing at the Cowboys for thinking that Owens wouldn't be a huge distraction and detrement to the team after his past antics.

Most of all, I am laughing at T.O. That pathetic piece of shit has all of the talent in the world and has had chance after chance to redeem himself, but he continues to make a mockery of the NFL. I was thinking at 1st that it was too bad he didn't do himself in, but I am glad he is alive now. If he were dead, the morons at ESPN would have made him a martyr. Now he has to live with the continued embarrassment of his behavior.

Well said.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
Deion Sanders and T.O. in the same room... must be one big room to fit both of their egos

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Dan the retard needs to understand that Owens is going to try to cover things up as much as anyone else.

This goes back to what I said earlier. Owens may be actually telling the truth but a lot of people will not believe him. Some solely because he is TO, some solely because he is a Cowboy. None of us actually know if and when Owens has lied about something. If anything, he tends to be to honest and gets himself in trouble.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Deion Sanders and T.O. in the same room... must be one big room to fit both of their egos

The interview must have been in Texas Stadium. :)

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 12:30 PM
This goes back to what I said earlier. Owens may be actually telling the truth but a lot of people will not believe him. Some solely because he is TO, some solely because he is a Cowboy.

Most soley because he is TO.........The Cowboys may be hated by a lot of people but nothing like TO is.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 12:31 PM
This goes back to what I said earlier. Owens may be actually telling the truth but a lot of people will not believe him. Some solely because he is TO, some solely because he is a Cowboy.

Your thought about God saying Owens was telling the truth and people still not believing him is better than anything I could say.

MosesGuthrie
Thanks JB. Sadly though....TO has brought a lot of that on himself though with his actions.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
TO's news conference is pushed back to 2:15

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM

Probably by Rosenhaus.

Asshole.

IX_Equilibrium
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM

He's still trying to get his story straight.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
He's still trying to get his story straight. That too.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Thank you, Bob Ley.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Bob Ley is good.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
If he tried to kill himself Tuesday evening, a hospital isn't going to release him a couple hours later, right? Don't you automatically get sent to 24/48 hour mental observation or whatever?

Not sure if this has been answered, so I'll answer.

No.

Condemned 2 HelLA
09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Probably by Rosenhaus.

Asshole.

I can just hear it now:
"Next question".
"Next question".
"Next question".
"Next question".

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM

No.

Is that a guess or do you know for sure? Just asking for clarification.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM

No.

Actually, it depends on the hospital. So yes and no.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Is that a guess or do you know for sure? Just asking for clarification.

I know for sure. It may depend on what the way one tries to committ the suicide but I know for sure when taking pills to kill yourself, there is no automatic 24 hour evaluation.

MosesGuthrie
Thanks.

Buddy Holly
Actually, it depends on the hospital. So yes and no.

Probably. But also, I'd guess it would have to do with the person doing it and if they really meant to do it or were seeking attention.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Probably. But also, I'd guess it would have to do with the person doing it and if they really meant to do it or were seeking attention.

I only speak from past experiences on this one, but the two instances when I knew someone that tried to kill themselves they went to two different hospitals. One guy tried the pill thing and they kept him for days because of the possible damage it could have done to the liver, so it didn't have anything to do with the mental aspect.
The other one was kept for 24 hours.

Both however had to be cleared by a shrink that they were mentally fit to be released. The hospital doesn't want to be held accountable (and I don't blame them) if the patient tries again so they use their own shrinks to approve release. Now, if there is no physical damage and the shrink clears them, I would imagine they can be released regardless of how long.

So to make a long story short, there probably isn't anything mandatory but the release from a psychiatrist is mandatory just a matter of when it happens.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Um, if he had taken 40 pills he wouldn't have been released today. They would have held him on suicide watch for observation.

T Park
09-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Wow.

I get up this morning to discover this.

Horrible horrible discovery.

I pray that Terrel gets his help, and the people making light of this subject, calling TO an asshole.

You people seriously, SERIOUSLY, need to take a look in the mirror.

I dont know what kind comedy makes light of suicide attempts, depression, or other personal problems.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Um, if he had taken 40 pills he wouldn't have been released today. They would have held him on suicide watch for observation.

What difference would the "instrument of death" make on determining if he should be kept for observation?

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow.

I get up this morning to discover this.

Horrible horrible discovery.

I pray that Terrel gets his help, and the people making light of this subject, calling TO an asshole.

You people seriously, SERIOUSLY, need to take a look in the mirror.

I dont know what kind comedy makes light of suicide attempts, depression, or other personal problems.

The best kind my friend, the best kind.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:52 PM

I called Rosenhaus an asshole...not TO.

IX_Equilibrium
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I'll call T.O. an asshole.

T.O. = asshole

He has a shitload of history to make my case.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Would you call him an asshole if he played and produced for your team? (Although I already know the answer.) :)

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
I'll call T.O. an asshole.

T.O. = asshole

He has a shitload of history to make my case.

How dare you call such an asshole an asshole.

Hey Tpark, the dude probably didn't even try to kill himself, get over it...............and even if he did, he still would have died an asshole.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Would you call him an asshole if he played and produced for your team? (Although I already know the answer.) :)

I called Bill Romanowski an asshole for several years when he was with the Broncos. I never liked him and thought he brought the class of the entire organization down. He produced for my team.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
If he truly tried to commit suicide....then calling him names would be tasteless. However, we don't know what actually happened so he is fair game.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 12:59 PM
I called Bill Romanowski an asshole for several years when he was with the Broncos. I never liked him and thought he brought the class of the entire organization down. He produced for my team

Good answer.

If this was Romo, would you react the same way?

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Wow- if they delay that press conference much longer, I'll be able to catch it live on the evening news. :lol

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:01 PM

No they wouldn't. I guess it depends on what hospital policy is. But what you said is not fact.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 01:01 PM
If he truly tried to commit suicide....then calling him names would be tasteless. However, we don't know what actually happened so he is fair game.

Yeah, I don't think he tried, I think this is yet another media knee jerk reaction that got blown WAY out of proportion.

Worst part, every single one of us ate it up for every minute and even continue to do so.

T Park
09-27-2006, 01:02 PM
the dude probably didn't even try to kill himself, get over it...............and even if he did, he still would have died an asshole

Hilarious how you can call someone an asshole and not even know them.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I guess it's fine to tell people you don't know "to look in the mirror" but the line stops at asshole?

MosesGuthrie
It went from "he attempted suicide" to "did he attempt suicide"

Yeah, I don't think he tried, I think this is yet another media knee jerk reaction that got blown WAY out of proportion.

I am starting to agree...that is why TO is fair game.

j-6

If we make enough fun of Owens, will you get bent and quit again?

IX_Equilibrium
If he truly tried to commit suicide....then calling him names would be tasteless.

If I despised someone while they were living, I wouldn't despise them any less just because they voluntarily decided to take their own life. That would be hypocritical of me.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Its a fine line between the mirror and asshole. :p

IX_Equilibrium
09-27-2006, 01:04 PM

Yeah, I am sure Osama Bin Laden is a swell guy if you'd just have the chance to meet him.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:05 PM
If I despised someone while they were living, I wouldn't despise them any less just because they voluntarily decided to take their own life. That would be hypocritical of me.

so then if TO had committed suicide...you would have been happy?

johnsmith
:lmao :lmao

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Buddy Holly
If he isn't an asshole in life, he sure as hell is if he kills himself or tries to.

IX_Equilibrium
09-27-2006, 01:06 PM

No

johnsmith

Where have you been for the past five years? He is an asshole.

Let me ask you this, (and I'm assuming you are a Cowboys fan but could be wrong) but what did you think of him when he stood on the star while playing for the 49ers? An asshole?

MosesGuthrie
Fair enough, IX.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 01:07 PM

If TO had committed suicide, plus I had won the lottery.......I would have been happy. But if he just would have committed suicide, probably not. I wouldn't be sad though either, most likely I would have stayed in about the same mood I'm in now.

MannyIsGod
09-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Some of the poeple in here have wacked perspective.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Where have you been for the past five years? He is an asshole.

Let me ask you this, (and I'm assuming you are a Cowboys fan but could be wrong) but what did you think of him when he stood on the star while playing for the 49ers? An asshole?

Well, he's an asshole up and until the point he tries to cease his own life. Then he's the reincarnation of Pope John Paul II.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM

I am a Cowboys fan and I thought he was an asshole then and my opinion really hasn't changed. All I want from him is to produce on the field. Now if it were true that he had tried to committ suicide, as a human being I would want him to get help with that over playing football, if not for himself than for his child.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Why? Because some here don't feel sorry or upset when a millionaire sports player tries to end his ol' so tragic life? Did he down some Krystal while (allegedly) taking those pills?

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 01:10 PM

What makes your persective not "whacked"?

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Just because people have millions of dollars doesn't make them immune to problems in their life.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Now if it were true that he had tried to committ suicide, as a human being I would want him to get help with that over playing football, if not for himself than for his child.

True true. However, he's still a big selfish a-hole if he did try to.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Just because people have millions of dollars doesn't make them immune to problems in their life.

I know that, hense the Krystal joke. That's not what I'm saying. I'm talking about the "asshole" comments and people taking offense.

No one to my knowledge is upset or pissed off he didn't die or is saying he should have.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I am a Cowboys fan and I thought he was an asshole then and my opinion really hasn't changed. All I want from him is to produce on the field. Now if it were true that he had tried to committ suicide, as a human being I would want him to get help with that over playing football, if not for himself than for his child.

I can agree with that. Except I don't want him to produce on the field.

In the end though, like I said before, I think it's a misunderstanding so therefore I can continue to call him names like..........asshole.

johnsmith

I agree.

MosesGuthrie

By taking his life, I would deem that selfish because he wasn't thinking of his child but of himself. But tragic nonetheless.

Buddy Holly
What makes your persective not "whacked"?

It's his.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:13 PM
I can agree with that. Except I don't want him to produce on the field.

True but you can understand me as a Cowboy fan him wanting to.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
By taking his life, I would deem that selfish because he wasn't thinking of his child but of himself. But tragic nonetheless.

Tragic, yes. Selfish. Oh yeah.

When you end your life, unless your Tpark (poorly inserted diss), you're ruining many others as well.

IX_Equilibrium
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Fair enough, IX.

Of course I don't wish death on the guy, but like johnsmith, I wouldn't be sad if he did. I'll go back to part of my original post:

How many people have this guy's ability and talent? How many people have as much money or live the lifestyle that he does? How many people's lives are much worse off??????

He has the world on a platter and he continues to be a complete jackass. I don't think it's unfair to call him an asshole.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:15 PM
They are running the press conference from the Dallas EMS guy. The police said the EMS called them....the EMS guy said they don't call the police and didn't in this case.

johnsmith

I think all suicides/suicide attempts are the very definition of selfish.
I think the term "tragic" is thrown around too much as well. Like the way they describe Maurice Clarett's situation as a tragedy all the time. Give me a break, dude made a lot of bad decisions and he and his family are now paying for it. Sounds like idiocy more then tragedy to me..............just my opinion.

MosesGuthrie
I would agree that Clarett is not a tragedy.

Buddy Holly
09-27-2006, 01:16 PM
They are running the press conference from the Dallas EMS guy. The police said the EMS called them....the EMS guy said they don't call the police and didn't in this case.

Actually the EMS guy said he didn't know if they did or not as he wasn't there, but that it's usually something automated.

The truth will eventually come out.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:17 PM
The truth will eventually come out.

But will anyone believe it. :)

johnsmith
I would agree that Clarett is not a tragedy.

The only "tragedy" in regards to the Clarett decision is that whenever they talk about him on the radio they always intro it with "former Denver Bronco runningback........"

Mike Shanahan's only bad decision as coach and GM of the Broncos. Well, that and Plummer.

Buddy Holly

Everyone but Pat Robertson.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Well Pat is busy trying to oust Hugo Chavez.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM

Honestly, yes, I think they will.

How hard is it for you to believe someone as successful and with a personality like his tried to kill himself? I find it hard to believe. Not impossible by any means, he just doesn't seem to fit the "mold" of someone suffering from depression.

That may be way off though.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I hope they will but given people's perception of TO, he could tell the truth and people will not believe. It may have just been a stupid mistake, an accident that he regrets. It could be a suicide attempt (which I really doubt now) People are going to draw their own conclusions regardless of the truth.

I don't think you are off at all. Too many times we hear things like "I would have never suspect he was upset or sad" or "she seemed happy and that nothing was wrong"

j-6
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
I hope they will but given people's perception of TO, he could tell the truth and people will not believe. It may have just been a stupid mistake, an accident that he regrets. It could be a suicide attempt (which I really doubt now) People are going to draw their own conclusions regardless of the truth.

I don't think you are off at all. Too many times we hear things like "I would have never suspect he was upset or sad" or "she seemed happy and that nothing was wrong"

If he really wanted to kill himself, Owens should have borrowed Keith Davis' Impala and just drove back and forth on 635.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
If he really wanted to kill himself, Owens should have borrowed Keith Davis' Impala and just drove back and forth on 635.

Hilarious..........however, it makes me think of something else. People are really uncreative with their suicides nowadays. It seems to always be pills and guns. If I was gonna do it I'd have to put some real thought into a way that would really grab people's attention and say, "hey, I may be dead, but you'll never forget how it happened".

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Cowboys news conference is starting.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Cowboys news conference is starting.

Let us know how it goes.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Rich Dalrymple just re-stated the fact already known and said they were going to wait for more medical reports before making full comment.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Parcells is about to speak but Dalrymple said he will NOT address the TO situation.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Well he is answering questions...but not a lot of info. A lot of "no I haven't talked to him" and such.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
"I need a clearer picture of what is going on"

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
"I don't see this as a distraction but an unfortunate series of events"

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Parcells has been in practice so has not heard all that has gone on the last couple of hours.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:37 PM
He is getting his info right now from Dalyrimple and the reporters.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Parcells said that Owens did not tell him of any additional pain yesterday.

MosesGuthrie
It sounds like Parcells has not been briefed about all this.

johnsmith
I just streamed it in on ESPN.com. Sounds like we won't get a lot of info from this conference.

MosesGuthrie
and he is getting a little testy.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Apparently the Cowboys are waiting for more medical info.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Parcells has left the building.

Mr. Peabody
09-27-2006, 01:42 PM
He keeps saying that he has no knowledge on the TO situation and the reporters keep asking questions about it. No wonder he ended it quickly.

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:44 PM
He keeps saying that he will not comment on the TO situation and the reporters keep asking questions about it.

Yeah...I guessed they missed the part about "Coach will not answer questions about the Terrell Owens" :)

MosesGuthrie
09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Mark Schlereth made a good point. If TO is out of the hospital and at home...why hasn't there been a meeting between the team and the player or at least the player's agent?

BeerIsGood!
09-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Owens Released
No Criminal Investigation, According To Police

Mickey Spagnola - Email
DallasCowboys.com Columnist
September 27, 2006 12:01 PM

Terrell Owens is expected to make a statement to reporters early Wednesday afternoon.

IRVING, Texas - A Dallas Police Department spokesman Wednesday morning very tersely said there would be no criminal investigation into the Tuesday night incident involving Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens being rushed to the hospital after suffering an adverse reaction to pain medication prescribed to him a week ago following surgery to repair his broken hand.

In the midst of wild speculation of an attempted suicide by Owens, who reportedly took an overdose of pain medication, Dallas Police Department Lt. Rick Watson at a 10 a.m. news conference held in downtown Dallas said, "In the course of this, in our investigation, we've determined that at this time, this is not a criminal offense. This is a medical type of situation in the incident that occurred."

Lt. Watson didn't leave his statement at that. He reiterated, "The Dallas Police Department does not have any other investigation going on, on this incident. Any information that you need, you'll have to contact Mr. Owens or you'll have to contact the medical staff.

"Do I need to repeat any of that?"

Multiple people with knowledge of this sort of incident and these types of investigations maintain that if this indeed was determined to be a suicide attempt the DPD would not be allowing Owens to leave Baylor Medical Center, as he already has, and that it would subject Owens to a 72-hour psychological investigation.

That Lt. Watson said one more time, "It's not a criminal offense" seems to refute the notion that whatever happened from the time a 911 call was placed Tuesday evening by Owens' publicist Kim Etheredge and the 10 a.m. news conference was not the suicide attempt that has been widely reported.

Etheredge told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that Owens "is fine . . . he will be leaving the hospital today." Owens in fact not only was leaving the hospital this morning, but to make a statement for reporters outside his residence early Wednesday afternoon. Instead, he now will address the media here at Valley Ranch at 2:30 p.m. (CDT).

Cowboys officials have made no comment so far on the incident, other than to point out a normal schedule of practice, open locker room and head coach Bill Parcells' daily news conference was planned for Wednesday as the team continues preparation for Sunday's game at Tennessee. Parcells' news conference planned for 1:30 p.m. (CDT) can be heard on DallasCowboys.com.

Owens has been taking pain medication for the past week, following his surgery on Sept. 18 to place a metal plate over his fractured fourth metacarpal on his right hand to help facilitate healing. In fact, Parcells said last Wednesday Owens had a bad reaction to pain medication and was sent home while the team had its first workout during the bye week. Owens returned to The Ranch on Thursday and actually did some running with the team on Friday.

As of Tuesday, when the Cowboys returned to practice from their bye weekend, Parcells hadn't ruled out the possibility of Owens returning Sunday against the Titans (noon, CDT), a potential 13-day turnaround from last Monday's surgery. Owens didn't practice Tuesday but began catching passes, and Parcells said he thought Owens would participate to some extent at practice Wednesday.

According to Etheredge, Owens experienced increased pain and discomfort Tuesday evening, causing him to take a few of his pain medication pills. She also told the Star-Telegram Owens had previously taken some supplements and that "it kicked in a reaction.

"When I went to grab him, he was out of it. That's why I called 911."

Etheredge said Owens did not have his stomach pumped at the hospital and did not vomit, as was initially reported by several local news affiliates.

j-6
09-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Mark Schlereth made a good point. If TO is out of the hospital and at home...why hasn't there been a meeting between the team and the player or at least the player's agent?

Maybe the Cowboys are planning on mailing Owens a "Notice of Unsatisfactory Work Performance" and he needs to be home to sign for it.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 01:52 PM

in the press conference I believe they said he arrived at the facility about 30 minutes ago. My guess they are getting his statement and briefing him on what to say at his upcoming press conference.

SAtown
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
If in fact the worst possible scenario was true (in terms of the attempted suicide), then the media should back the hell off and let this guy rest. I hope that whatever is bothering this HUMAN is only temporary and I wish him nothing but the best. I mean, shit, poor guy.

T Park
09-27-2006, 02:01 PM
I personally loved the guy that had the guts to ask about Terry Glenn's status :lmao

kskonn
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
If in fact the worst possible scenario was true (in terms of the attempted suicide), then the media should back the hell off and let this guy rest. I hope that whatever is bothering this HUMAN is only temporary and I wish him nothing but the best. I mean, shit, poor guy.

Agreed. And they need to stop getting there "Facts from a raw document"

SAtown
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Do you work for ESPN?

I am assuming your statement is FACT from a raw document.

What are you talking about? I'm defending this guy. I'm not spitting out facts or anything, only my opinion.

Oh, Gee!!
I think we're all missing the most important issue. Is he going to play on October 8th?

johnsmith

I the "worst possible scenario" is true, I find it funny that he even screwed that up.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 02:13 PM
What are you talking about? I'm defending this guy. I'm not spitting out facts or anything, only my opinion.

I apologize I misread your post and immediatelly reposted to read correctly. My fault. :oops

kskonn
09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I think we're all missing the most important issue. Is he going to play on October 8th?

YES.

Oh, Gee!!
09-27-2006, 02:15 PM
he can kill himself after he gets us a couple more super bowls

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I just listened to the press conference (Bill's) and I didn't think he was testy or anything like that. He's always done that and for Bill, that seems to be nice.

He said that he knew this was a story and he'd talk about what he could.

Now, something I head right before I got off my truck at lunch that I specifically made a note about. At 1:22 p.m. CDT, Sal Palantonio made a hell of a point.

He said in his experience working copshop, police are called in because they're the ones trained to figure out what's going on, not the medical response team. In my copshop experience (albeit limited), that's true.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
he can kill himself after he gets us a couple more super bowls

Nah, receivers are like the stereo in your vehicle. Everyone wants a flashy one that they can show off to their friends but in the end it's really not what keeps the car running.............and last time I checked, the car was being run by Drew Bledsoe, so sorry, no more super bowls for the Cowboys just yet.

kskonn
09-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Nah, receivers are like the stereo in your vehicle. Everyone wants a flashy one that they can show off to their friends but in the end it's really not what keeps the car running.............and last time I checked, the car was being run by Drew Bledsoe, so sorry, no more super bowls for the Cowboys just yet.

no one ever said we had to win the superbowls with Drew Bledsoe.

T Park
09-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Terrel Owens, if he does have mental health issues, is the less violent version of Ron Artest in a nutshell.

I wish for their sake, and their family's sake, if they DO have mental problems, to PLEASE get help, and use the medication prescribed.

johnsmith
09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Terrel Owens, if he does have mental health issues, is the less violent version of Ron Artest in a nutshell.

I wish for their sake, and their family's sake, if they DO have mental problems, to PLEASE get help, and use the medication prescribed.

I wish for our sake that you'd shut the fuck up.

j-6
09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Remember this guy?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050116/050116_brobbins_vmed_11a.widec.jpg