PDA

View Full Version : spurs/mavs, nov.2, how many spurs fans traveling to dallas?

ponky
09-27-2006, 10:31 PM
just curious.

angel_luv
09-27-2006, 10:55 PM
I would love to go- all decked out in Spurs gear. :fro

T-Pain
09-27-2006, 11:09 PM
id rather lead a pack of spurs fans to houston and turn the toyota center into the AT&T Center

FromWayDowntown
09-27-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm sure the Spurs will be both jealous and intimidated to see that 2nd banner reach the AAC rafters.

It might be worth it to watch up close as Mav fan revels in not having won.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-28-2006, 01:28 AM
i have a bad feeling we're gonna get our asses kicked opening night

and then we're gonna hear about it from mavs for the longest time

whatever

I'm excited to see how Jackie Butler pans out

ponky
09-28-2006, 04:20 PM
i have a bad feeling we're gonna get our asses kicked opening night

and then we're gonna hear about it from mavs for the longest time

whatever

I'm excited to see how Jackie Butler pans out

See, I actually have a lot of optimisim in the Mavericks' upcoming season BUT I can see this first matchup with the Spurs going either way with a slight advantage to the Spurs for a couple of reasons. Spurs will want some payback and the whole banner thing will just make them remember how close they were to winning the semis and why not set a good tone with the first game? Also, Parker's been out and was sidelined for FIBA so he'll wanna play, Manu as well, with the loss to USA, extra motivation to kick someone's ass.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Our new frontline players will have their heads up their asses. Unless Oberto can be productive for 30 minutes, we're going to get spanked.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
See, I actually have a lot of optimisim in the Mavericks' upcoming season BUT I can see this first matchup with the Spurs going either way with a slight advantage to the Spurs for a couple of reasons. Spurs will want some payback and the whole banner thing will just make them remember how close they were to winning the semis and why not set a good tone with the first game? Also, Parker's been out and was sidelined for FIBA so he'll wanna play, Manu as well, with the loss to USA, extra motivation to kick someone's ass.

Frankly, I don't think the Spurs give a crap about any banners, other than perhaps their own. If the pre-camp talk is at all indicative of the Spurs' current mindset, they seem to have filled the tanks with that motivational fuel that Pop talked about at the end of last season.

That has nothing to do with banners and celebrations. If anything, I suspect the Spurs will think it's somewhat funny if the Mavs celebrate last season, because the Mavs didn't win.

ponky
09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
If anything, I suspect the Spurs will think it's somewhat funny if the Mavs celebrate last season, because the Mavs didn't win.

This would be great.

BeerIsGood!
09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm thinking about going to the game since it's in Dallas. I hope they don't celebrate that WCF banner - I may die laughing if that happens.

50 cent
09-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Frankly, I don't think the Spurs give a crap about any banners, other than perhaps their own. If the pre-camp talk is at all indicative of the Spurs' current mindset, they seem to have filled the tanks with that motivational fuel that Pop talked about at the end of last season.

That has nothing to do with banners and celebrations. If anything, I suspect the Spurs will think it's somewhat funny if the Mavs celebrate last season, because the Mavs didn't win.
I guess the Mavs will hand a 2nd place banner since they have no other banners in the rafters at the AAC. :lol

I will be making the .5 mile walk down to the AAC for the game wearing my Spurs polo.

ponky
09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I guess the Mavs will hand a 2nd place banner since they have no other banners in the rafters at the AAC. :lol

I will be making the .5 mile walk down to the AAC for the game wearing my Spurs polo.

Eh, it took the Spurs over 30 years to get their first championship, despite 15 division titles. I wonder, are banners commemorating all those division wins also hanging at the ATT center, despite a 30 year drought of championship wins? Regardless, I figure the Mavericks still have time to beat the thirty year mark within the next 4-5 years.

ducks
09-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I am going to ask cuban if I can celebrate the spurs win with him

BeerIsGood!
09-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Eh, it took the Spurs over 30 years to get their first championship, despite 15 division titles. I wonder, are banners commemorating all those division wins also hanging at the ATT center, despite a 30 year drought of championship wins? Regardless, I figure the Mavericks still have time to beat the thirty year mark within the next 4-5 years.
Banners - fine. But don't hang them in some giant ceremony like a NBA Championship. They can put all the banners they want up. But don't make a giant deal of it unless it's the big one. 2nd place = 1st loser.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM

I know what you're saying, but actually, it took the Spurs 23 NBA seasons (1976-1999) to win an NBA title.

The Spurs have moved beyond hanging individual division championship; they have 2 banners that just list all of the many seasons in which they've accomplished that feat in the NBA. Individual banners are reserved for retired numbers, their 3 West titles and their 3 corresponding NBA titles.

Also, the only banners that get any kind of special fanfare are those for retired numbers and NBA titles. When the Spurs won the West in 2005, the banner was in the rafters when the Finals started and right before the Spurs were introduced before Game 1, they put a spotlight on it for a few seconds. The addition of the 2005-06 division title to the list didn't even get that much attention.

ponky
09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Banners - fine. But don't hang them in some giant ceremony like a NBA Championship. They can put all the banners they want up. But don't make a giant deal of it unless it's the big one. 2nd place = 1st loser.

Yeah, I agree with you. I wouldn't want a big production, just hang it and get on with the new season since that's all that should matter now.

ponky
09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I know what you're saying, but actually, it took the Spurs 23 NBA seasons (1976-1999) to win an NBA title.

The Spurs have moved beyond hanging individual division championship; they have 2 banners that just list all of the many seasons in which they've accomplished that feat in the NBA. Individual banners are reserved for retired numbers, their 3 West titles and their 3 corresponding NBA titles.

Also, the only banners that get any kind of special fanfare are those for retired numbers and NBA titles. When the Spurs won the West in 2005, the banner was in the rafters when the Finals started and right before the Spurs were introduced before Game 1, they put a spotlight on it for a few seconds. The addition of the 2005-06 division title to the list didn't even get that much attention.

Yes, you're rightm, I was just including the shitty Spurs from the ABA years...and then of course, their days in their original hometown of Dallas, hehe. Anyway, then the Mavericks are due any year now. I've gotten off topic, just wondering how many Spurs will go the game, I love having lots of people from opposing teams at the games and I got to San Antonio all the time because it's closer to home for me.

FromWayDowntown
09-28-2006, 05:18 PM
To be real honest with you, I'm reluctant to go to Dallas again, because some Mav fan spit on my friend's daughter during Game 3 of the playoff series last year.

I'm by no means afraid of anyone, but that was just obnoxious.

ducks
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
To be real honest with you, I'm reluctant to go to Dallas again, because some Mav fan spit on my friend's daughter during Game 3 of the playoff series last year.

nice cuban way to teach your fans to behave
I guess they follow their here dirk and kick a ball at a 65 year old man

cornbread
09-28-2006, 06:19 PM

They're only following the example set. Spurs fans might be doing the same kind of stuff if their team owner was Mark Cuban. That guy has no respect for anything or anybody. I would not be suprised if Avery straightens his ass out we see a different Mark Cuban next season.

ShoogarBear
09-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Eh, it took the Spurs over 30 years to get their first championship, despite 15 division titles. Math is not your friend.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm dating a chick right now that's a marketing rep for a pharmacom company that has tickets on the sixth row behind visitors bench.

She's not my type, but I guess I gotta keep this one going until at least Nov. 2.

ShoogarBear
09-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm dating a chick right now that's a marketing rep for a pharmacom company that has tickets on the sixth row behind visitors bench.

She's not my type, but I guess I gotta keep this one going until at least Nov. 2.Nov. 3: drop it like it's hot.

ponky
09-29-2006, 01:47 PM
nice cuban way to teach your fans to behave
I guess they follow their here dirk and kick a ball at a 65 year old man

C'mon man, that can happen in any arena...it happened to me last season during the wc semis. Some freakin' idiot hick and his friend who were drunk came yelling in my face (I'm 5'3", small and female) and spit on me while I was walking to the car. Spurs had won at the ATT so of course there was cause for celebration but these guys were just being plain assholes. Too much beer leads idiot fans everywhere to asshole behavior. I once had to sit behind a Spurs fan calling Najera a sorry wetback and spic for half of the game until some other Mexican Spurs fans started yelling at him.

ducks
09-29-2006, 01:54 PM
C'mon man, that can happen in any arena...it happened to me last season during the wc semis. Some freakin' idiot hick and his friend who were drunk came yelling in my face (I'm 5'3", small and female) and spit on me while I was walking to the car. Spurs had won at the ATT so of course there was cause for celebration but these guys were just being plain assholes. Too much beer leads idiot fans everywhere to asshole behavior. I once had to sit behind a Spurs fan calling Najera a sorry wetback and spic for half of the game until some other Mexican Spurs fans started yelling at him.
I do not see spur playings kicking basketball at the opposite fan

SAtown
09-29-2006, 01:56 PM
I've been to the AA in Dallas several times, and I'm pretty sick of it. The fans in Dallas are something else. Sure, I go and I'm very loud, but they seem like stuck up little bitches. I'm always spitting out the question: "where were you 10 years ago." That's when they get all mad and shit. Most of 'em weren't there when Rolando Blackman and Harper were there. Back when they had the ugly ass green uniforms and that ugly ass logo in the middle of the Reunion Arena.
I hate Dallas

ponky
09-29-2006, 02:00 PM
It's ridiculous to argue about which fan set is better. Annually, I go to Horns games, Rockets games, Spurs games, Cowboy games, Mavs games, Stars games, Texan games and when I travel which is often, I usually check out local teams like the Knicks, Cavs, Bengals, Giants etc. There are bound to be shitty fans everywhere. Why? It's sports, there is beer, people are excited, there are lots of macho males, you figure it out. The only time I've yet to see a shitty fan is when I attend the U.S. Open tennis tourney.

nkdlunch
09-29-2006, 02:01 PM
my prediction is Cuban will start bitching 5 seconds into the season

angel_luv
09-29-2006, 02:48 PM
my prediction is Cuban will start 5 seconds into the season

Unless of course they interview him before the start of the first game. :lol

ducks
09-29-2006, 03:03 PM
they did yesterday and he was bitching about how overrated wade was and how bad stern markets his product

Obstructed_View
09-29-2006, 03:48 PM
I've been to the AA in Dallas several times, and I'm pretty sick of it. The fans in Dallas are something else. Sure, I go and I'm very loud, but they seem like stuck up little bitches. I'm always spitting out the question: "where were you 10 years ago." That's when they get all mad and shit. Most of 'em weren't there when Rolando Blackman and Harper were there. Back when they had the ugly ass green uniforms and that ugly ass logo in the middle of the Reunion Arena.
I hate Dallas
Just FYI, Harper and Blackman were already gone ten years ago. :)

sandman
09-29-2006, 04:25 PM
The stereotypical Dallas fan shows up dressed like they are going to the club, sips wine, distains any semblence of being associated with the fat and loud crowd, and makes no pretense that they are at the game to be seen.

To be fair, the stereotypical Spurs fan is a fat man dressed up in a Rodman jersey, drinking enough beer to test the tensile strength of an elephant bladder, all the while screaming a running dialogue with the opposing players.

Of course, Rockets fans are dressed up like empty seats until their team wins 5 in a row.

SAtown
09-29-2006, 09:51 PM

Eh, well I was making more of a point than a timeline. My bad :smokin

bdictjames
09-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Well for one thing Dallas still has motivation from coming from the disappointing Finals..

This is certainly the match-up we've been waiting for months and I'm excited how it will turn out!

Louie Vega
09-30-2006, 04:41 AM
I would only travel if it was a big game. Like when the Spurs used to have that REAL rivalry with the Rockets back in the days. Those were BIG games! Not to mention it was fun! The rockets fans were great and knew how to take it and dish it out with class! Unlike mavs fans.

Louie Vega
09-30-2006, 04:42 AM
This is certainly the match-up we've been waiting for months and I'm excited how it will turn out!

Speak for yourself! I am more intersted in seeing how we will matchup with the NBA champs. Not the NBA Chumps!

Louie Vega
09-30-2006, 04:44 AM

Rolando used to do a hell of a job when he worked tv for the Spurs!

Obstructed_View
09-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Eh, well I was making more of a point than a timeline. My bad :smokin
Just bustin' on ya anyway. Your point is still well taken; I went to the Mavs games ten years ago and there was nobody there. Maybe Cuban wasn't so stupid sacrificing a trip to the playoffs in order to sign Dennis Rodman. Mavericks fans are so easily baffled by bullshit. Show them shiny lights and slutty cheerleaders and they think they are the Celtics.

Tcan21
09-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I just bought 4 tickets this morning! Go Spurs Go!

mavs>spurs2
09-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I would only travel if it was a big game. Like when the Spurs used to have that REAL rivalry with the Rockets back in the days. Those were BIG games! Not to mention it was fun! The rockets fans were great and knew how to take it and dish it out with class! Unlike mavs fans.

This rivalry is as real as it gets mavs beat that ass last season and will continue the trend.

j/k nobody get their panties in a wad

dirk4mvp
09-30-2006, 06:32 PM
I hate Dallas

Nobody cares.

ShoogarBear
10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Nobody cares.Except for every single Mav fan posting on a Spurs board.

adrienne
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm kind of bummed I won't be in town for it...but I WILL be watching! Bottom line is nothing beats two great teams going at it.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-01-2006, 11:26 PM
^^^

I love your lips! :eyebrows

J.T.
10-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Seeing how we'll be primarily using the same lineup that was a Manu foul away from beating the Mavs, except they'll all be healthy barring a tragedy at training camp or preseason, along with some frontcourt additions who may actually get some PT, I'm very optimistic about sending the Mavs reeling on their own floor and giving their fans even more to bitch about after getting skunked by D-Wade and the Stripes back in June. I don't think the Mavs new pieces are head over heels better than what they lost...looking forward to the PG matchup the most.

I'd like to go to the game, but most Mavs fans are dicks, and even if I go and the Spurs win, Mavfans will still hold it over our heads that they won a Semifinal Playoff Series against us like they won the lottery. I'll probably end up watching it with a few of my fraternity brothers who are from Dallas and some others from SA, and then get wasted, Spurs win or lose.

Holmes_Fans
10-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Not really, you are actually the last loser when in a playoff system.

If you get 2nd in a race, then you are the first loser

mabber
10-03-2006, 02:33 PM

That's terrible! Where were they sitting? It doesn't sound like Mav fans at that arena at all. If anything, they don't care enough to do something like that. I'm guessing it was some drunk, upper-level ($10 seat) goober. Still inexcusable.

I've been to just about every playoff game they've had in their franchise history (I saved a lot of money in the 90's - lol) and have never seen anything like that happening there. I've always sat in lower level though.

ducks
10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
how big of a game is this game for either team?

mabber
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
how big of a game is this game for either team?

Not really a big deal at all. Much more important to the fans than the players & coaches. As a fan, I'll enjoy watching the game just because it's a little more exciting than watching the Mavs play most other teams. I won't read much into the outcome of the game though.

adrienne
10-03-2006, 11:44 PM
^^^

I love your lips! :eyebrows

Uhh..thanks! :lol I forgot they were there, I haven't been around this place much lately.

caŽlo
10-04-2006, 12:59 AM
wow nov 2. thats my bday :) hope the spurs win!

u guys are so lucky u can watch the games in person.

:(

J.T.
10-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, after some interesting events this weekend involving alcohol and one of my fraternity brother's trucks getting towed because of me, I'm taking him to this game since he's a huge Mavs fan. We're sitting in section 238 row J, wherever the fuck that is, all I know is its in the upper sections around midcourt. Should be fun and I look forward to the Spurs raining on the banner ceremony by laying down the smack.

We are also going to the one in SA on the 24th because I hit it big on Party Poker the other day enough to finance this Spurs-Mavs Novermber Extravaganza.

rascy13
10-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I hate Dallas

I agree with everything you say, particularly that last bit about Dallas.

Obstructed_View
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Reunion and AA are both great places to watch basketball...

as long as the Spurs are there.