PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs guard Parker declares he's ready

Solid D
09-28-2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA092806.03C.BKNspurs.parker.2df319d.html

Spurs guard Parker declares he's ready

Web Posted: 09/27/2006 09:54 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Tony Parker still needs one more examination of his fractured right index finger before getting approval from the Spurs' medical staff to participate fully in training camp, but the All-Star point guard believes he will be ready when camp opens Sunday in Lyon, France.

"The finger is doing great," Parker said Wednesday from New York, where he was helping the NBA promote its Europe Live exhibition schedule, which includes two pre-season games for the Spurs in France. "I feel a lot better. I don't do X-rays until (Thursday), but I feel great, and I'm ready to go."

Parker suffered the injury on Aug. 18 in France's final tune-up game for the FIBA World Championships in Japan. He was left off France's roster for the tournament and then flew from Japan to San Antonio, where team doctors on Aug. 22 examined the finger, determined it did not require surgery, and placed it in a splint.

"My finger is still a little swollen," Parker said. "I feel I can do everything right now on the court, but I don't try to put too much pressure on it. I haven't done any shooting yet. I just have worked on conditioning, but to be honest, I didn't do too much. I got a lot of rest."

General manager R.C. Buford was happy to hear that Parker believes he is ready to participate fully in camp. However, he said Parker's status wouldn't be evaluated until after the finger is re-examined by the medical staff today.

Parker said his conditioning was at a high level after a summer of training for the world championships. He planned on getting a lot of rest after the tournament, and the injury has led to even more.

"I was in great shape when the injury happened," he said, "so I just used the extra three weeks to get extra rest and be ready to go when the season starts."

For now, the greatest detriment from the broken finger was cancellation of several weeks of scheduled drills with Spurs shooting coach Chip Engelland.

"We've still got time to work on my shot," Parker said. "I'm not worried."

Parker is excited about the Europe Live schedule that prompted the Spurs to move their training camp to Lyons, France.

"I feel lucky," he said, "because I'd been over there in 2003 (for the McDonald's Open tournament in Paris) and now again. Pop (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) loves wine, so it's probably his decision. I'm sure Pop has a list of all the best restaurants and where to go to buy wine."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

theroc5
09-28-2006, 10:23 AM
iwouldnt worry to much about parker, my worries are with horry,finely,bowen,barry. there age is starting to get a little to high.

1Parker1
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
iwouldnt worry to much about parker, my worries are with horry,finely,bowen,barry. there age is starting to get a little to high.

Age in basketball is like fine wine...it only gets better as time goes on.

:angel

LaMarcus Bryant
09-28-2006, 12:43 PM
i fucking told yall

this finger business cost his jumpshot months of work
he probably is not good as jumpshots as he was at the end of the season last year

theroc5
09-28-2006, 12:49 PM
damn why do spurs fans have to be so negitive... we might be the most negitive fan base out there

101A
09-28-2006, 01:27 PM
i fucking told yall

this finger business cost his jumpshot months of work
he probably is not good as jumpshots as he was at the end of the season last year

month, not months.

LaMarcus Bryant
09-28-2006, 03:33 PM
he missed one month of practice, but not shooting any jumpshot during that month not only made him miss out on one month of improvement, but also probably degraded his shot, thereby setting him back even more...he's not a natural shooter and when you're not a natural freestroker, not practicing tends to set you back, cuz for guys like that shooting good jump shots is not like riding a bike...

Thats just my two cents.

Bruno
09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Parker only miss two weeks of practice.

BeerIsGood!
09-28-2006, 03:43 PM
when you're not a natural freestroker
The question is...

Are you a "natural freestroker"? :lol

LaMarcus Bryant
09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
lol i said that intentionally
freestroke is one of the funniest things tv announcers ever said, 2004, end of season, seattle 'had nothing to lose so they're freestroking against the spurs'
lolol

TDMVPDPOY
09-28-2006, 07:56 PM
seriously this is a bad sign, are the spurs goin to use tp "are you ready for this" intro song.....fuck this they should change it

ORION
09-29-2006, 05:42 PM
he missed one month of practice, but not shooting any jumpshot during that month not only made him miss out on one month of improvement, but also probably degraded his shot, thereby setting him back even more...he's not a natural shooter and when you're not a natural freestroker, not practicing tends to set you back, cuz for guys like that shooting good jump shots is not like riding a bike...

Thats just my two cents.
but if you find your stroke and then something happens like injury. It only takes a day of shooting for it to come back.

Russ
09-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Is this old news?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15066451/