PDA

View Full Version : Scorpions???

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 10:24 AM
And Im not talking about the band. Last night I was awaken by a tow truck flashing its lights outside my apartment. I went outside to see what was going on. When I got back inside I was greeted by a scorpion on the top of my wall near the ceiling. I have seen several of these outside, but this is the first that dared to enter my home. I was able to knock him off the wall and swat the shit out of him with my chancla. But had I not woken up, me or my daughter may have been stung. I stayed at my moms house for the night. Does anyone know how to kill/control these bastards?

Marklar MM
09-28-2006, 10:26 AM
And Im not talking about the band. Last night I was awaken by a tow truck flashing its lights outside my apartment. I went outside to see what was going on. When I got back inside I was greeted by a scorpion on the top of my wall near the ceiling. I have seen several of these outside, but this is the first that dared to enter my home. I was able to knock him off the wall and swat the shit out of him with my chancla. But had I not woken up, me or my daughter may have been stung. I stayed at my moms house for the night. Does anyone know how to kill/control these bastards?

Get a tarantula.

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Get a tarantula.Thanks, but no thanks I have a two year old daughter.

Marklar MM
09-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks, but no thanks I have a two year old daughter.

Ya. I don't even know if they eat scorpions. I just thought it would be cool to add a giant spider to the mix.

CubanMustGo
09-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Scorpions are pretty common in TX ... especially in newly developed areas. If you have a fireplace this one may have crawled down the chimney.

I used to live in an apartment complex that was located right next to the Barton Creek Greenbelt in Austin ... these suckers came up all the time. They're not easy to control because they usually don't live in your home, they are visitors. Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

Scorpions are difficult to control with pesticides alone. Therefore, the first control strategy is to modify the area surrounding a house.

* Remove all trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks and other objects from around the home.
* Keep grass closely mowed near the home. Prune bushes and overhanging tree branches away from the house. Tree branches can provide a path to the roof for scorpions.
* Store garbage containers in a frame that allows them to rest above ground level.
* Never bring firewood inside the house unless it is placed directly on the fire.
* Install weather-stripping around loose fitting doors and windows.
* Plug weep holes in brick veneer homes with steel wool, pieces of nylon scouring pad or small squares of screen wire.
* Caulk around roof eaves, pipes and any other cracks into the home.
* Keep window screens in good repair. Make sure they fit tightly in the window frame.

Wettable powder formulations provide better residual control for crawling pests when applying perimeter sprays. When using pyrethroids or other insecticides labeled for scorpion control, be sure to use the highest permissible label rate.

Apply pesticides around the foundation of the building and up to 1 foot above ground level on the exterior walls. Also apply pesticides around doors, window eaves and other potential points of entry.

Cyfluthrin, bifenthrin, deltamethrin, and bendiocarb are effective pesticides.

MannyIsGod
09-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Common Name: Striped bark scorpion
Scientific Name: Centruoides vittatus (Say)
Order: Scorpionida

Description: Scorpions are non-insect arthropods. Adults average about 2-3/8 inches (60 mm) in length, with the tail being longer in the males than in the females. Body color of adults varies from yellowish to tan, marked with two broad, blackish stripes on the upper surface of the abdomen. Populations in the Big Bend area may be only faintly marked or completely pale. There is a dark triangular mark on the front (anterior) portion of the head region (carapace) in the area over the (median and lateral) eyes. Younger specimens may be overall lighter in color, and basis of the pedipalps and the last segment of the body (postabdomen) is dark brown to black. The key recognition characters for this species are the slender pedipalps and the long slender tail.

Life Cycle: Scorpions are capable of reducing their metabolic rates to very low levels. Mating apparently takes place in the fall, spring and early summer. All scorpions are born live (viviparous), and embryos are nourished in the female’s body (in utero or via a "placental" connection). Development (gestation) is estimated to take about 8 months, but varies depending on the species. Young are born in litter sizes from 13 to 47, averaging about 31. The young climb to the mother’s back after birth and soon molt. After the first molt they disperse to lead independent lives. Immature scorpions molt an average of six times before maturity. Some species may live for 20 to 25 years but the typical scorpion probably lives between three and eight years. Adults may produce several broods.

Habitat, Food Source(s), Damage: Scorpions use the pincers to capture and hold prey. This species occurs under rocks, under boards, and in debris. It can be found indoors or outdoors in a wide variety of habitats (pine forests in East Texas, rocky slopes, grasslands, juniper breaks in other parts of the state).

Centruroides are active foragers and do not burrow. They are considered "bark scorpions" with a distinct association with dead vegetation, fallen logs, and human dwellings. It is common for them to climb, and many reports in homes are associated with attics. Scorpions remain sheltered in the daytime and become active at night. This behavior helps with regulating temperature (thermoregulation) and water balance. Their bodies are covered with a waxy cuticle which also helps reduce water loss. For reasons yet unknown, the scorpion cuticle fluoresces under ultraviolet light i.e., a blacklight.

Pest Status: Most common and widespread scorpion in Texas; stings are painful and produce local swelling and itching that may persist for several days. Reaction to the bite may vary based on sensitivity of the individual. Non-lethal stings may be mild to strong and produce edema (swelling), discoloration, numbness, and pain which may last for several minutes to several days. Deaths attributed to this species are not well substantiated. There are no scorpions in Texas that are considered lethal to man.

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg364.html

Was this what it looked like?

http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/cd-43-c/img364.jpg

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg364.html

Was this what it looked like?

http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/cd-43-c/img364.jpgThats him. I boxed him up so I could indentify him later.

leemajors
09-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Scorpions are pretty common in TX ... especially in newly developed areas. If you have a fireplace this one may have crawled down the chimney.

I used to live in an apartment complex that was located right next to the Barton Creek Greenbelt in Austin ... these suckers came up all the time. They're not easy to control because they usually don't live in your home, they are visitors. Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

Scorpions are difficult to control with pesticides alone. Therefore, the first control strategy is to modify the area surrounding a house.

* Remove all trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks and other objects from around the home.
* Keep grass closely mowed near the home. Prune bushes and overhanging tree branches away from the house. Tree branches can provide a path to the roof for scorpions.
* Store garbage containers in a frame that allows them to rest above ground level.
* Never bring firewood inside the house unless it is placed directly on the fire.
* Plug weep holes in brick veneer homes with steel wool, pieces of nylon scouring pad or small squares of screen wire.
* Keep window screens in good repair. Make sure they fit tightly in the window frame.

Wettable powder formulations provide better residual control for crawling pests when applying perimeter sprays. When using pyrethroids or other insecticides labeled for scorpion control, be sure to use the highest permissible label rate.

Apply pesticides around the foundation of the building and up to 1 foot above ground level on the exterior walls. Also apply pesticides around doors, window eaves and other potential points of entry.

i lived in an apartment near 71 and mopac for a few years, and they would always show up inside the apartment. usually pretty small, and my brother's dog would always sniff them out. kinda creepy though, i live in NW austin now and rarely see them.

CubanMustGo
09-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Interesting that the Wikipedia "how to control scorpions" apparently was copied almost verbatim from a page at TAMU:

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1678.html

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 10:38 AM

From what I have read thus far I think this to be the most useful. I have also heard of just hunting at night before bed with a black light. Apparently they show up bright yellow under black light.

Marklar MM
09-28-2006, 10:44 AM
From what I have read thus far I think this to be the most useful. I have also heard of just hunting at night before bed with a black light. Apparently they show up bright yellow under black light.

Yup. They are flourescent. That is how they get them in teh desert.

katyon6th
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I've cried every time a scorpion has stung me. It feels like a million tiny ants biting you at one time.

Kori Ellis
09-28-2006, 10:52 AM
When we lived around 281/Evans we had a lot of scorpions come in the kitchen. But at this house, I never see them.

Marklar MM
09-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I've cried every time a scorpion has stung me. It feels like a million tiny ants biting you at one time.

Does Texas have fire ants like Florida. Those things are bitches.

katyon6th
09-28-2006, 10:53 AM

I wouldn't know, I've never been to FL.

tlongII
09-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm glad we don't have any scorpions here. I don't think so anyway.

Marklar MM
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't know, I've never been to FL.

They are like little tiny ants, smaller then your little black house ants. You touch one of their ant hills, a bajillion of the things come out the holes, will crawl onto your foot and up your leg and sting you. Not the funnest thing in the world...luckily, I haven't met this fate. Although I saw a live lizard get turned into ant food.

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
When we lived around 281/Evans we had a lot of scorpions come in the kitchen. But at this house, I never see them.Did you do anything to keep them under control?

Good 'N Plenty
09-28-2006, 11:06 AM
I had one crawling on my desk at work the other day. Just a small brown one. I just swept it off with a piece of paper and ground it into the carpet.
Is is true they travel in pairs?

tlongII
09-28-2006, 11:23 AM
They are like little tiny ants, smaller then your little black house ants. You touch one of their ant hills, a bajillion of the things come out the holes, will crawl onto your foot and up your leg and sting you. Not the funnest thing in the world...luckily, I haven't met this fate. Although I saw a live lizard get turned into ant food.

I was in Naples, Florida a few years ago and stepped on a fire ant hill on a golf course. That was not a pleasant experience.

MoSpur
09-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Hey Butta, buy Home Defense at your local Home Depot or Lowes. That is good stuff to help keep scorpions and spiders away. I am not saying you will never get one in your house ever again, but it really helps. I see a lot of scorpions where I live and where I am building. They like to stay in cool places. Underneath rocks and such. Its always a good thing to shake your towels before you use them, your sheets, pillows, and blankets before hopping into bed. Just as a precaustion because of your little girl. Anyway, Home Defense is a good way to help keep them away.

MoSpur
09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Here is a picture of what it looks like. You can spray it inside and outside.

http://images.lowes.com/product/071549/071549019532.jpg

SequSpur
09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
The Scorpions Rock...

here i am .... rockin like a hurricane....

ATX Spur
09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Man, I can't stand Scorpions. Except for that "Still Loving You" song, that one's pretty catchy. :smokin

But seriously, waking up to a scorpion in your shoes will freak you out when you're only half awake!

Marklar MM
09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Take me to the magic of the moment

Rogbok
09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
What a time for this topic as I was just stung by a scorpion this last Saturday doing dishes. It was apparently hiding in the wash rag I was using, but did not get me until the last dish. It was painful. I had seen a few outside from time to time, but this is the first I have seen inside since we moved in in 2003.

Mr Dio
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
The Scorpions Rock...

here i am .... rockin like a hurricane....

Better stick to Barry Manilow or Liza guy.

Here I am, rock you like a hurricane

katyon6th
09-28-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm a scorpio and I really rock.

RandomGuy
09-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Cyfluthrin, bifenthrin, deltamethrin, and bendiocarb are effective pesticides.[/indent]

If you have a 2 year old, the chemicals are worse than the potential for stings, in my opinion.

A sting might give an allergic reaction, but that fades and is very treatable.

Pesticides and chemicals can cause lasting damage and nasty health things down the road.

RandomGuy
09-28-2006, 01:19 PM

Fire ants kill ticks. Ranchers have been actually reversing fire ant eradication efforts after finding out this bit by transplanting colonies to areas where they initially killed the ants.

Fire ants are nasty and mean, but Ticks carry even nastier diseases.

Mr Dio
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm a scorpio and I really rock.

:lol

That was a good one. :lol
Very witty Katy!

How has the Puki squad been doing?
I've lost a game in all of my leagues.
Oh well, who goes unbeaten right?

katyon6th
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
:lol

That was a good one. :lol
Very witty Katy!

How has the Puki squad been doing?
I've lost a game in all of my leagues.
Oh well, who goes unbeaten right?

My Puki Squad is 0-3. It's extremely disappointing, but I'm not giving up yet. And what do you mean you've lost? Don't you have Peyton Manning on all of your teams?

PakiDan
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM

Every time??? Katy, Queen of the Desert.

katyon6th
09-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Every time??? Katy, Queen of the Desert.

I'm a Queen!

AlamoSpursFan
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Interesting that the Wikipedia "how to control scorpions" apparently was copied almost verbatim from a page at TAMU:

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1678.html

I'll bet it was Weird Al that did it... :lol

Here's a freaky fact about scorpions that I've never read anywhere but know from personal experience...scorpions LOVE to hang out in dirty clothes hampers. Be careful when you're gathering your clothes on wash day...more than a few times I've been startled by a nice big scorp in my hamper. Once I had gathered up a pile of clothes and carried them from the bedroom to the wash room, dropped it on the floor infront of the washer, and a fat one magically appeared from under a shirt. Scared the shit outta me.

09-28-2006, 03:33 PM
They also like to hang out in socks.

I was putting on my socks early one morning for a run and when I got my shoes on, it felt like someone was putting a cigarette out on my heel. After I whipped my shoe off and nothing came out and the cigarette wasn't out yet, I pulled off the sock and found the nasty bastard.

Random, if you're worried about the chemicals, try spreading a little diatomaceous earth around.

AlamoSpursFan
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Green Light's Bioganic works pretty good too, but you have to spray it right on the scorpion. And be careful where you spray it because the label says it can stain certain fabrics...

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 04:25 PM
I think Im going to go with Diatomaceous Earth for the outside, doorways, windows and under the sink. Im also going to spray the inside of the house with the Ortho home defense product. This should be a start along with keeping the patios clear of any debris.

Mr Dio
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
My Puki Squad is 0-3. It's extremely disappointing, but I'm not giving up yet. And what do you mean you've lost? Don't you have Peyton Manning on all of your teams?

Peyton has had a slooowwwwwwwwwwwwww start.
I took Peyton because I thought the RB by Comm. of the Colts' might not be clicking til late in the season (if at all) & that INDY would be airing it out, hence Peyton racking up points.

IMO Peyton & the Colts start airing it more...much more.

katyon6th
09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I was kidding about the Peyton thing.

:spin

Leetonidas
09-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Get a tarantula.

I have both :lol

AlamoSpursFan
09-28-2006, 06:41 PM
I think Im going to go with Diatomaceous Earth for the outside, doorways, windows and under the sink. Im also going to spray the inside of the house with the Ortho home defense product. This should be a start along with keeping the patios clear of any debris.

Just make sure you don't get the pool filter kind of DE. You might have to check with a nursery or feed store. They don't carry it at Home Depot (at least not when I was looking for it). They have it at Fannick's on the east side...

fraga
09-28-2006, 07:07 PM
A good way to control Scorpions is to control what they eat...so just go around your house and spread some type of pesticide to kill all the little insects moping around...no food for the Scorpions...no more Scorpions...if that don't work...pack yo sh!t and move...cause them b!tches are gonna be pissed...and they got friends...lots of friends...

SpursWoman
10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
We move into our new house starting Wednesday ... and already yesterday when we were there gawking at the house there was a scorpion in the bathroom. :wow :(

Thanks for all of the tips ... I didn't think I was going to need them. :spin

2Blonde
10-09-2006, 06:28 PM
What a time for this topic as I was just stung by a scorpion this last Saturday doing dishes. It was apparently hiding in the wash rag I was using, but did not get me until the last dish. It was painful. I had seen a few outside from time to time, but this is the first I have seen inside since we moved in in 2003.

That happened to me when my daughter was about 2 years old. I was giving her a bath and reached for the rag. I felt a sting on my finger like I had never felt before. It took me about 10 seconds to figure out what happened. Then I yanked her out of the tub. They come in through the light fixtures overhead. Most of the time they die up there because they can't get out if it's a closed fixture or they get fried when the light get turned on. I also used to find them around my A/C unit when I would go to change out my filter.

Leetonidas
10-09-2006, 06:34 PM
The only scorpion in my house ever is the one I keep as a pet. I've seen a baby scorpion running around but I've never encountered mean stinging ones in my house.

KEDA
10-09-2006, 08:04 PM
eh, we get them all the time here in Bulverde, just cut his stinger off with a pair of scissors or whack him with a shovel.

yes, I have gone after a scorpion with a shovel INSIDE the house.

Scorpions and centipedes make my skin crawl.

Zombie
10-09-2006, 08:36 PM
WheN I was a kid I checked under my covers of my bed every night for scorpions. The reason is I woke up one night with one crawling up my leg, scared the crap out of me.

My dad had one drop off the ceiling onto his chest one night in bed as well.

Sonia_TX
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
I was at my bestfriends apartment on Thursday and we noticed her cat was in the corner playing with something... a scorpion. It was small and white. She moved the cat and went to get something to kill it with and by the time she got back it had stung the cat on the nose. The cat ran and hid but we checked her out and she seemed fine. Ugh...I hate creepy crawly things!

cherylsteele
10-10-2006, 09:43 AM
My parents house got them often in the past.
They would trap them the following way:

They got a cleaned out jar....like a pickle jar or something that you still have a lid to....and have the lid ready.
Put the jar over the little bugger so it can't get out.
Carefully slide a piece of cardboard over the opening of the jar while it is still upside-down over the scorpion.
Turn the jar right-side up....with the scorpion still the jar.
Get some bleach and just pour enough in it so it floats a little.
Put the lid on the jar.
Watch the thing squirm and actually dissolve.

Mr Dio
10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
In Saudi A we would dig up scorpion nests & find those 10-12in ones that we'd heard about.
I swear, those thiings had some BIG ASS Stingers.
Funny though, we'd find the black ones and the Neon Green nests not far from each other.

samikeyp
10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Is is true they travel in pairs?

yes.

When I was in high school living on Grissom rd....we saw them all the time and the little bastards blended nice with the carpet we had! Once I got into the shower, turned around and there was one trying to climb up the side of the bathtub. The funniest though was we had a persian cat who was sleeping and when she got up...a scorpion crawled away. She was never stung.

T Park
10-10-2006, 08:38 PM
In Saudi A we would dig up scorpion nests & find those 10-12in ones that we'd heard about.
I swear, those thiings had some BIG ASS Stingers.
Funny though, we'd find the black ones and the Neon Green nests not far from each other

Good god.

Foot long ones?

lord...........