PDA

View Full Version : 0-4 Football team cancels season

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 12:40 PM
OSCODA, Mich. (AP) -- Oscoda Area High School's football team hasn't won a game, or even scored a point, in four games this season. Now the school district has decided to cancel the remaining games.

Despite pleas from players and parents, the board in the small northern Michigan district recently upheld the school's earlier decision to end the season, saying players risked injury in trying to take on much stronger opponents.

When you go to a game on Friday night and see a team physically dominated, those are the indisputable facts," said coach Kyle Tobin.
"Seniors, I feel for you. There's nothing I can say other than I'm sorry," said board member Neal Sweet. "But you're not quitters. You went out there and did your best."

Tobin said the team was not physically competitive, had too few players and faced a tough schedule in the North East Michigan Conference, The Bay City Times reported.

Senior quarterback Mike Gondek pleaded with the school board to reconsider the school's Sept. 19 decision to cancel the remaining games.

"All I ever wanted to do was play football," Gondek said. "My teammates never felt so unsafe that we didn't want to be out there."

Tobin, who is in his first year as head coach at the 530-student school, defended his decision to recommend calling off the season.

"I have 28 years of coaching experience in high school and college, and I know the difference between a team playing bad and a team that's unsafe," he said.

The scores in Oscoda's games this season were 46-0 against Flint Hamady on Aug. 25, 30-0 against Whittemore-Prescott on Aug. 31, 44-0 against West Branch Ogemaw Heights on Sept. 8 and 44-0 against Tawas on Sept. 15.

Oscoda forfeited its game Friday against Pinconning and had four more games left on its schedule.

Tobin coached the Whittemore-Prescott football team to three state finals and one championship before leaving three years ago.

He said Oscoda High could barely meet the minimum number of players needed to field a team. He said one reason was that it did not have a junior varsity football team last year. It also lost several players to injuries.

Coaches put several sophomore players on the junior varsity team so they could compete and train without so great a risk of injury.

Some in the audience of about 100 people Monday spoke in Tobin's support.

"When you have a coach who comes and says 'unsafe,' it's not about the band, the boosters or the cheerleaders. It's about some kid getting paralyzed," said Terry Ekdahl, whose has a son on the junior varsity team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/09/28/season.canceled.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Mixability
09-28-2006, 12:40 PM
pussies.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Wow, that's refreshing. In Texas if a coach talked about cancelling football season he'd be swinging from the closest tree by his neck.

Hopefully the Texans can take their example.

baseline bum
09-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Man, If PV A&M wouldn't quit after losing every game for like 8 years straight, no one can.

Condemned 2 HelLA
09-28-2006, 12:52 PM

I was thinking the Raiders should do the same thing.

tlongII
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a shitty coach to me.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Can this team be far behind?

http://www.sasports.com/sports/football/pictures/eastcentralholmes050902/ECHolmes0070_filtered.jpg

Spam
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Let them play.

PM5K
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Way to show them how to be quitters....

JoeChalupa
09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
During my 3 year HS football career we went a total of 6-32 and we never thought of quitting. How 'bout them Bulldogs!!

2centsworth
09-28-2006, 02:02 PM
From a former player's perspective, football is a very dangerous game. If the coach thinks it's unsafe then I'm for shutting it down. Too many crippled former players to mess around.

JoeChalupa
09-28-2006, 02:06 PM
When I played I was a whopping 110lbs soaking wet and I still played my guts out.

But I did suffer a broken foot during my senior year. Damn coach should've seen it coming!!

sa_butta
09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
When I played I was a whopping 110lbs soaking wet and I still played my guts out.

But I did suffer a broken foot during my senior year. Damn coach should've seen it coming!!You probably could have sued him.:lol

PM5K
09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Football is dangerous regardless of your record, plenty of players on winning teams injure themselves...

Opinionater
09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
IMHO, every player who puts on a uniform and takes the field knows there is a chance of injury.

KEDA
09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
I wonder what they would do against Smithson Valley!!!

GO RANGERS!!!!

AlamoSpursFan
09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Wasn't there a team here in SA (Memorial I think) that lost like 114 games in a row? My memory might be a little off on that, but I know they lost a shit load of games in a row. Hell I was even excited for them when they finally won one.

dirk4mvp
09-28-2006, 04:18 PM
The Muddogs kept on playing even though they always lost. They even kept on playing when it was found out their all-star LB didn't graduate high school.

BeerIsGood!
09-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Wow, that's refreshing. In Texas if a coach talked about cancelling football season he'd be swinging from the closest tree by his neck.

I agree that many fans here in Texas go too far with football, but just up and quitting when things don't go your way is not something to be used as a good example. If anything, the kids need to learn that life isn't going to be easy and that no matter how many times you're down you always have to pick yourself up. So many success stories today arose following years of failure. Quitting should never be an option - once you quit one time it just becomes easier to quit again.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-28-2006, 08:34 PM
When I saw this thread, I hoped it was the Lions. Sigh...

BeerIsGood!
09-28-2006, 08:36 PM
The Lions won't be 0-4 until this weekend.

CuckingFunt
09-28-2006, 08:37 PM
When I saw this thread, I hoped it was the Lions. Sigh...
Keep the faith. One of these days all will be well and you will once again be gruntled.

2centsworth
09-29-2006, 11:38 AM

But I did suffer a broken foot during my senior year. Damn coach should've seen it coming!!
Putting Smithson Valley highschool against Barbara Bush Middle school is not a good idea. Why? because the Bush kids could get killed. Now don't know if this team is that outmatched, but if the coach is fearful for the kids safety who am I to second guess?

On the other hand, getting your butt kicked every week is no reason to quit.

Solid D
09-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Who was heading-up the School Board on that decision? Bill Maher?

RandomGuy
09-29-2006, 01:59 PM
If you trust a coach's judgement enough to make him coach, you have to trust his judgement when he throws in the towel.
I admire the guy greatly for taking a stand for what he knows is right.

Spam
09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, he'll get paid either way.

BeerIsGood!
09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
I guess it's right to quit now. No wonder the damn federal govt. keeps taking more and more money out of my checks for welfare. People just quit these days.

rr2418
09-29-2006, 05:11 PM
During my 3 year HS football career we went a total of 6-32 and we never thought of quitting. How 'bout them Bulldogs!!

What year did u graduate?

RandomGuy
09-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I guess it's right to quit now. No wonder the damn federal govt. keeps taking more and more money out of my checks for welfare. People just quit these days.

yeah that's the *obvious* answer I'm glad you're here to enlighten us.
:rolleyes

sa_butta
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
School leaders at St. Gerard Catholic High School decided to cancel the rest of its football season after the team was decimated by injuries, officials told News 4 WOAI Monday.

The decision came down to lack of players, school officials said. This season, the team started with 20 players, but by Monday that number was down to 12.

“It was done with a lot of consideration,” St. Gerard Athletic Director Stephen Johnson said.

“There are a lot of people getting hurt,” St. Gerard quarterback Jay Pena said. “The injuries have been rough.”

Parents and players told News 4 WOAI Monday the decision is hard to take.

“None of our kids wants to quit,” parent Mark Shaw said. “We want to keep playing, but I think the best decision has been made.”

Former St. Gerard coach George Pasterchick said he is also disappointed in the decision.

“My stomach still hurts,” Pasterchick said. He coached the team for 34 years.

Pasterchick said he hopes the team will be back next season.

“Times get tough, but the tough will get going,” he said. “I hope they rebound and bring back the program next year.”

The administration will meet in January to decide whether football will be back at St. Gerard next year, officials said.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=246FC48B-560E-47CB-B105-ACD7C4FECC8E

Marklar MM
10-03-2006, 11:18 AM
^^Hell of a lot of football...no breaks.