PDA

View Full Version : Shaq hates Barry.

DieMrBond
09-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Rick Barry that is: (From Foxsports)

"What we can argue with is what Shaq told Stephen A. Smith about Rick Barry’s long-standing offer to teach him to shoot free throws underhand:

“Rick Barry’s resume is not good enough to even come into my office to be qualified for a job. I will shoot negative-30 percent before I shoot underhanded,” Shaq said.

Wow.

All we’re gonna say is that Rick is in the Hall of Fame, has a ring, averaged 23 points a game over his career, and shot 90 percent from the stripe. "

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/DimeMagazine

Leetonidas
09-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Shaq blows.

Behrooz24
09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Shaq is right, underhand=teh uber g4y

TheSanityAnnex
09-28-2006, 07:32 PM
has a ring
Enough said. I'm glad Shaq gave him the big FUCK YOU.

whottt
09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Even Rick's own sons won't shoot underhanded. He needs to give it up...

Zunni
09-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Even Rick's own sons won't shoot underhanded. He needs to give it up...
Rick's sons shoot a very good percentage, and don't have a childhood broken arm hangover fucking up their form. He should at least shoot lefthanded.

dknights411
09-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Who cares?

PM5K
09-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Would Rick even try to teach him how to shoot underhanded, his sons don't shoot that way so we can only assume he didn't teach them to shoot that way....

kskonn
09-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Would Rick even try to teach him how to shoot underhanded, his sons don't shoot that way so we can only assume he didn't teach them to shoot that way....

Rick said in an interview once that he would teach shaq to shoot under handed because his form was so bad. He also said that shaq had agreed to do it but decided not to. In Ricks opinion shaq would not do it because of his "hiphop" image.

PM5K
09-28-2006, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't either if I was Shaq, maybe ten years ago, but not now...

I also don't give much weight to text quotes from Shaq....

BeerIsGood!
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Shaq is like those carnies that run the booths and talk shit to you to try to get you pissed so that you'll pay for their stupid game...

all talk. no substance.

E20
09-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Well Shaq a lot of people hate you too.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Shaq will always suck at free thows, even if he accepted Rick Berry's help.

Solid D
09-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Sans-Kobe, Shaq has the same number of rings that Rick Barry has.

Solid D
09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Rick may not be the greatest guy in the world, but he is still the only player ever to hold the distinction of leading the NCAA, the ABA and the NBA in scoring.

ShoogarBear
09-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Rick may not be the greatest guy in the world, but he is still the only player ever to hold the distinction of leading the NCAA, the ABA and the NBA in scoring.What about Wilt? :smokin

stretch
09-28-2006, 09:23 PM
well, Shaq has averaged 26 ppg, 12 rpg, shot a career FG of 58%, has an MVP award, and has established himself as arguably the most dominant Center of all time. not many players in NBA history even comes close to that. oh, and he also has 4 rings, and 3 finals MVPs. id say thats what matters most, not whether you look "hip hop" or not, or how well you shoot FTs.

Dipshit Barry needs to shut the hell up.

Leetonidas
09-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Shaq needs to stop acting like he's the shit. Yeah, he may be the best center ever, and yes he has good awards, but now he's not so great, and his FT shooting is terrible. Think about how many games could be won if he didn't shoot 3-12 every night.

Solid D
09-28-2006, 09:29 PM
What about Wilt? :smokin

ShoogarBear, Wilt didn't play in the ABA, he just coached.

well, Shaq has averaged 26 ppg, 12 rpg, shot a career FG of 58%, has an MVP award, and has established himself as arguably the most dominant Center of all time. not many players in NBA history even comes close to that. oh, and he also has 4 rings, and 3 finals MVPs. id say thats what matters most, not whether you look "hip hop" or not, or how well you shoot FTs.

Barry didn't offer to help Shaq dunk or block shots, he offered to help him with his FTs. Rick wasn't the one taken out at the end of games so that he wouldn't get fouled. Besides, Shaq is the one talking the stuff.

BeerIsGood!
09-28-2006, 09:54 PM

?? What did he say? You don't actually read to comprehend, do you?

dav4463
09-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Shaq says a lot of things "tongue in cheek". He doesn't even take himself seriously most of the time.

stretch
09-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Shaq needs to stop acting like he's the shit. Yeah, he may be the best center ever, and yes he has good awards, but now he's not so great, and his FT shooting is terrible. Think about how many games could be won if he didn't shoot 3-12 every night.
the man has 4 rings. nuff said. its a hell of an accomplishment to even make it to the finals. hes been there 6 times. he may be a shitty FT shooter, but it doesnt change the fact that hes one of the most dominant players ever. think about how many games he won because he was able to completely dominate the interior. i think that matters more, than a regular season game lost here and there. as far as im concerned, his FT shooting has never cost his team a game that actually mattered.

stretch
09-28-2006, 10:38 PM

Barry didn't offer to help Shaq dunk or block shots, he offered to help him with his FTs. Rick wasn't the one taken out at the end of games so that he wouldn't get fouled. Besides, Shaq is the one talking the stuff.
Who cares if he gets taken out at the end of games so he isnt fouled? the man has 4 rings, and completely dominates when in the game. Rick Barry has no right to knock on his game, and say stupid shit like he wants to maintain his "hip hop" image. if a "hip hop" image and shitty FT shooting wins 4 rings, then whats the big deal?

Solid D
09-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Let me assure you, a hip hop image (if it was ever his image) and poor FT shooting didn't win Shaq's teams 4 rings....but good FT shooting might have helped his teams more.

In the same way, Tim Duncan improving his FT shooting last season might have led to one more ring for his team and one less for Shaq's.

SenorSpur
09-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Classic case of a player choosing style over substance - and failing in the process.

LakerHater
09-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Who cares? :clap

ShoogarBear
09-28-2006, 11:47 PM
You didn't say anything about playing, you said scoring.

:hat:fro:hat

phxspurfan
09-28-2006, 11:59 PM
"Barry" in the title of this topic is misleading and thus, since this has utterly nothing to do with the spurs should be cast to a general discussion section

Solid D
09-29-2006, 12:14 AM
You didn't say anything about playing, you said scoring.

:hat:fro:hat

Now see, I should have known that's where you were going with this. :lol

DieMrBond
09-29-2006, 01:46 AM
"Barry" in the title of this topic is misleading and thus, since this has utterly nothing to do with the spurs should be cast to a general discussion section

I know, but it is Rick Barry, who is Brent Barrys dad ... who plays for the Spurs, which is why i placed it here. Sorry argument, but if its not appropriate here, im sure it will be moved.

nkdlunch
09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Not even God himself could help Shaq's free throws. and Shaq knows this.

v2freak
09-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Who cares if he gets taken out at the end of games so he isnt fouled? the man has 4 rings, and completely dominates when in the game. Rick Barry has no right to knock on his game, and say stupid shit like he wants to maintain his "hip hop" image. if a "hip hop" image and shitty FT shooting wins 4 rings, then whats the big deal?

the man has 4 rings. nuff said. its a hell of an accomplishment to even make it to the finals. hes been there 6 times. he may be a shitty FT shooter, but it doesnt change the fact that hes one of the most dominant players ever. think about how many games he won because he was able to completely dominate the interior. i think that matters more, than a regular season game lost here and there. as far as im concerned, his FT shooting has never cost his team a game that actually mattered.

You make it sound like Shaq has something to lose by learning to shoot FTs

stretch
09-29-2006, 05:31 PM
You make it sound like Shaq has something to lose by learning to shoot FTs
no. im simply saying that Barry has no right to knock on Shaq's game and his "hip hop image", when he has accomplished more than Barry (and almost every other player in NBA history) ever did.

Drachen
09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
no. im simply saying that Barry has no right to knock on Shaq's game and his "hip hop image", when he has accomplished more than Barry (and almost every other player in NBA history) ever did.

So, by that logic, you are telling me that Mengke Bateer would have nothing to learn from Karl Malone, or Charles Barkley?

cornbread
09-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Shaq is obviously one of the most dominant players of all time. I've always thanked God that Shaq can't make freethrows because if he shot like 80%, he would truly be an unstoppable force. Rick Barry needs to stay away from him.

bdictjames
09-29-2006, 06:40 PM
As much as I adore Rick Barry, he really needs to shut up at this one.

ATX Spur
09-29-2006, 06:43 PM
I love how my 13 year old sister would dominate Snaq in a free-throw shooting contest.

Bruno
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Rick Barry’s resume is not good enough to even come into my office to be qualified for a job

:lol What a dumb quote.

1- You don't need to be a great shooter to be a great shooting coach.
2- Barry was a great shooter.
3- There is no link between Rings, MVP titles ... and being a good coach.

Solid D
09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Who won Most Dominant Player last season? I can't find it on NBA.com, Google or Answer.com. Has Shaq won the Most Dominant Player NBA award more than anyone else?

resistanze
09-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Do you think the basketball gods would allow a player like Shaq to shoot a high % at the line?

Why not make Shaq into a 3-pointer shooter as well? With metallic cyborg arms?

~~Ice Man 2000~~
09-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Who won Most Dominant Player last season? I can't find it on NBA.com, Google or Answer.com. Has Shaq won the Most Dominant Player NBA award more than anyone else?Thank you shaq acomplished more then most players? Really? Shaqs the best center ever? Rubbish... shaq can't hold a candle to kaream, the real MDE

Rynospursfan
09-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Shaq daddy is hillarious.

iceman44
09-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Not even God himself could help Shaq's free throws. and Shaq knows this.

Shaq is beyond help on free throws.

polandprzem
09-30-2006, 05:19 AM
Rick is the man!

Let Shaq get to the Finals with the supporters like Barry had.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-30-2006, 10:13 AM
The offseason can't end soon enough around here.

dbestpro
10-02-2006, 09:25 AM
It's the little things. Shaq's inability to do the little things will keep him from being considered the greatest center of all time. In fact, I think he would rank third or fourth behind Jabbar, Chamberlin and Olajuwon with big Dave nipping at his heels. Shaq has never won a championship. He has been on teams that won a championship. That is a big difference. Jordon won championships. Tim won championships. The Lakers and Heat very well may have won their championships with a servicable center.
He should have been better. He should have dominated. If had worked his game as much as he works his mouth he would have been the greatest player to ever play the game. Now he's a footnote for arguing fans.

polandprzem
10-02-2006, 09:29 AM
It's the little things. Shaq's inability to do the little things will keep him from being considered the greatest center of all time. In fact, I think he would rank third or fourth behind Jabbar, Chamberlin and Olajuwon with big Dave nipping at his heels. Shaq has never won a championship. He has been on teams that won a championship. That is a big difference. Jordon won championships. Tim won championships. The Lakers and Heat very well may have won their championships with a servicable center.
He should have been better. He should have dominated. If had worked his game as much as he works his mouth he would have been the greatest player to ever play the game. Now he's a footnote for arguing fans.

You forgot Bill

Bruno
10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Shaq has never won a championship. He has been on teams that won a championship.

:wtf
Shaq was a 30/15 player during 00' and 01' playoffs.

Sportcamper
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
I am wondering if any of you saw Shaquille on “Quite Shaqly”...The guy was hysterical, he did the Shaq shimmy, quoted stats, answered all questions, bagged on Dirk Nowitzki a little bit...And said he wanted another ring... :lol

Barry attacked Shaq & Smith asked Shaq about it..."Quite Shaqly", few if anyone on this forum even knows what team or position Barry played ...Does he even have a ring? He did play in the NBA right? :smokin

Solid D
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Having watched Rick play many, many games, it's humorous to see people without a clue discount him.

Shaq has a hole in his game, despite all of his abilities...truth hurts.

Sportcamper
10-04-2006, 11:37 AM
I don’t discount him by any means...I am happy that some forgotten “has been/never was” got his name on television by grabbing on Shaqs coat tails... :smokin

Solid D
10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
:lol That's okay, sometimes happy = clueless :lol

ObiwanGinobili
10-04-2006, 11:50 AM
stretch's title should be "shaq's ball licker".
seriously way to get worked up and defensive.

Solid D
10-04-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2005/12/14/image1124254g.jpg

6,000,000 people? Holocaust? Please.

ObiwanGinobili
10-04-2006, 11:55 AM
:spless: :lmao

Sportcamper
10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
I know every kid in America could not wait to get home from school, finish their homework so they could watch Rick Berry & the Washington Capitols on television.....Or was it the Oakland Oaks, Washington Bullets, Virginia Squires...Berry was just so valuable every minor league team had to have him for a season or two...

Ohhhh wait, when Barry played for the Houston Rockets he averaged 13 PPG...You guys are right I am wrong, Barry was just awesome...I forget did Barry have even ONE NBA RING? :rolleyes

Sportcamper
10-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Lets not re write history...Barry bounced around basketball playing for scrub teams...He was slow, a bit clumsy, a defensive liability but for his day,an above average shooter...He could not make an NBA roster today... :smokin

Solid D
10-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Chain pullin' Laker. You can't get the itch if you scratch all around it. You must'a been a twinkle in your mom's eye or playin' with dolls when Rick was playing in All-Star games.

Sportcamper
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Chain pullin' Laker. You can't get the itch if you scratch all around it. You must'a been a twinkle in your mom's eye or playin' with dolls when Rick was playing in All-Star games.

That hurt... And I Thought That You Were My Friend.... :depressed

Solid D
10-04-2006, 12:38 PM
DQ :princess http://tshirtfreaks.com/data/pixel.gif

BUMP
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
when did Shaq say he hates Barry?