PDA

View Full Version : Week 4 Matchup: Chargers vs. Ravens/ESPN Insider

TheSanityAnnex
09-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Take 2: Chargers vs. Ravens
ESPN Insider
By Scouts, Inc.

The Ravens' defense is very physical defense and is obviously playing at a very high level. The unit is equally tough attacking the passer and stuffing the run.

The secondary didn't play particularly well in Cleveland last week, but three of the four starters -- Ed Reed, Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle are Pro Bowl-caliber performers. They will need to rebound this week and make life very tough on the Chargers' group of ordinary wide receivers.

• Both teams could have a very difficult time protecting their passers, as both defensive fronts are loaded with talent, aggression and mismatches in their favor across the board. The Ravens left tackle, Jonathan Ogden, is still a very good player, but will probably have to try to stymie OLB Shawne Merriman one on one, since the Ravens will not be able to assign a running back or tight end to help.

The same may be true for rookie LT Marcus McNeil, who will draw the assignment of battling RDE Terrell Suggs. McNeil will probably get more help than Ogden, but both passers are going to take some big hits when they drop back.

• Even though the Ravens are extremely stout against the run and running backs simply are not producing against them, LaDainian Tomlinson is special and very difficult for any defense to contain. He is a rare talent, who is extremely powerful, low, quick and explosive. He sees the field very well and can exploit a gap mistake by the defense for a long gain.

The Chargers will feed him the ball over and over, even if the running game is sputtering early on. Tomlinson will also be used on quick passes out of the backfield to slow down Baltimore's pass rush and ease the burden on Philip Rivers. He already has a team-leading 10 receptions in the Chargers' two games. The Ravens might slow Tomlinson down, but they won't stop him.

• Shawne Merriman might be best defensive player in the league in just his second season. Not only is he loaded with physical talent and great size for the position, but he is an extremely hard worker both on and off the field. His attention to detail and desire to be great is what separates him from other talented young defenders around the league.

There are times when he is just unblockable. As a pass rusher, he has the ability to bull rush offensive tackles or run past them with his speed and quickness. Merriman also makes a ton of plays against the run, either right at him or as a backside pursuit player. This game also is a coming home party for Merriman, who played at the University of Maryland.

• Rarely will you see a game featuring tight ends as good as Antonio Gates and Todd Heap. Both players will be counted on to provide a big target for their quarterbacks, who are surely going to be under a heavy pass rush.

Both Gates and Heap are tall, with large catching frames, making them tough assignments for defensive backs. They are also quick and tight route runners who are very difficult for linebackers to keep up with. As good as the Ravens' defense has been, opposing tight ends have had success this season through three games.

• Philip Rivers will be tested mentally in this game. He must keep his cool and stay patient on the road in Baltimore. This could be his first big challenge from a mental perspective and he will have to keep his team from crumbling when the going gets tough. This game could be a battle of wills, with the mentally tougher team prevailing in the end. His counterpart, McNair, will certainly be up to the challenge.

• The Ravens have moved the ball well on offense against some suspect defenses, but they haven't done a real good job of scoring touchdowns or stretching the field with a potent deep passing game. Part of the reason the Ravens haven't had to expand their offense is because they have handled lesser opponents and dominated the game with their defense. This week should be different. Baltimore has a fine set of weapons and this will be McNair's fourth regular season game in the system. It is time for him to push the envelope more.

• San Diego has made some improvements in their secondary, but the group has yet to be really tested in the Chargers' first two games. McNair will surely take some shots this week deep down the field to see just how improved that San Diego secondary really is. Heap is a matchup problem against the Chargers' heavier 3-4 linebackers and may need to be bracketed by a linebacker and safety. This attention should free up Derrick Mason or up-and-comer Mark Clayton, if the Ravens can protect McNair long enough to go deep.

Special Teams
The Chargers resigned PK Nate Kaeding to a six-year contract extension this week, which shows how happy San Diego is with its young, talented kicker. The Ravens' Matt Stover has been outstanding all season and won the game last week with just seconds on the clock in Cleveland by drilling a 52-yarder. Both San Diego and Baltimore are very good on special teams. The Ravens could have a slight edge overall due to Stover's history of performing in the clutch, and this game could very well come down to a last- minute field goal attempt.

Matchups
• San Diego RB LaDainian Tomlinson against Baltimore MLB Ray Lewis
• Baltimore LT Jonathan Ogden against San Diego OLB Shawne Merriman
• Baltimore OC Mike Flynn against San Diego NT Jamal Williams
• San Diego QB Philip Rivers against Baltimore FS Ed Reed
• San Diego LT Marcus McNeill against Baltimore RDE Terrell Suggs

Scouts' Edge
The Chargers have the advantage of having two weeks to prepare for this game, but face the disadvantage of having to travel across the country to a hostile environment in Baltimore. Both teams are undefeated, but neither have beaten a true quality opponent. This game with be a barometer. The Chargers have won their two games by a combined score of 67-7. Of course, both defenses are very strong, so the quarterback play could make the difference.

Rivers has an advantage over McNair, as he shares the backfield with Tomlinson. McNair has done an outstanding job of managing the game and not making mistakes, but more will be asked of him this week. The Chargers will make a statement this weekend and win a very physical football game on the road.

Prediction: Chargers 17, Ravens 13

===============================================

I agree with all of this article except the final score. Yeah Baltimore's defense is tough, but San Diego's is tougher, and ranked #1. Baltimore's offense sucks as well and their O-line is in shambles. I see a Chargers victory by at least 14 points.

dirk4mvp
09-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Chargers W

BruceBowenFan
09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm gonna go with the Ravens

TheSanityAnnex
09-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm gonna go with the wrong team..

TheSanityAnnex
09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Editor's note: ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton's "First and 10" column takes you around the league, with a look at the best game of the week, followed by primers for 10 other games. Here's his look at Week 4 of the 2006 season. First … San Diego Chargers at Baltimore Ravens
Sunday's AFC showdown between the Chargers and Ravens looks like a heavyweight fight. It's the NFL version of "The Contender."

Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
Very few players escaped the wrath -- and grasp -- of San Diego's Shawne Merriman.

In two games, the Chargers' defense entered the ring looking like the new bullies in town. Linebacker Shawne Merriman has been unblockable and he's establishing himself as arguably the league's best defensive player even though he's in only his second year. Defensive end Luis Castillo has been called the best defensive end to come into the league in the past five years by former Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil. Castillo is equally unblockable.
The Chargers rank No. 1 on defense, but they venture into Ray Lewis' turf Sunday. For more than a decade, Lewis has been the man on defense. He's the leader of a defense that hits as hard and moves as well as some of the great defenses in the history of the league. After fighting injuries the past couple of years, Lewis has found the fountain of youth and so have the Ravens. They rank second on defense.
This is an intriguing early matchup of two teams that missed the playoffs last year but are back in contention this season. The only reason the Chargers didn't make the playoffs last year was their schedule. It was brutal. Many of their toughest games were on the road. They won five games against teams that finished with winning records. The only problem is they played 11 games against such teams.
Even though it's said defenses win championship, both teams made interesting moves at the most important position -- quarterback. The Ravens traded for Steve McNair and have been smiling ever since. Quarterback has been a problem for the Ravens even through their great years. Ever since they won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer in charge, Ravens defenders have been waiting for a quarterback to bring them hope. McNair has done that. He's a great leader and a steady hand. So far, his numbers haven't been great. He's completed only 55.4 percent of his passes and his 5.8 yards per attempt is one of the lowest among starters. His quarterback rating is 78.3, but he's a leader and his teammates believe in him. Though the performances might not have been pretty, the Ravens are 3-0 and winning is all that counts.
This game will be a supreme challenge for San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers. He took over for Drew Brees and many in the organization believe he could be better than the departed Pro Bowl quarterback. He's taller. He has a stronger arm. He's every bit as smart and he's a more vocal leader. Still, he's started only two games and this will be his toughest challenge -- on the road against a great defense.
This could be looked upon as a potential playoff preview, but there is a knockout aspect to this game. Neither the Chargers nor Ravens are a lock to win their division. The Broncos reign in the AFC West and the Bengals have stepped to the top of the AFC North, a division that still has the Steelers. If the Chargers and Ravens end up as wild-card contenders, this game could be the tiebreaker that could put one team down for the count.

TheSanityAnnex
09-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Some love from Bill Simmons???

Long and funny page 2 article. Here is the clip.

Bill Simmons Ranks Chargers #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060929

Quote:
THE FAVORITE
1. San Diego, 2-0
The funny thing about the Chargers: Every team has at least one serious flaw, but everyone wrote off the Bolts because of the "downgrade" at QB to Philip Rivers. You would have thought they were replacing Brees with Bruce Gradkowski's illegitimate brother, Cliff. Rivers was the No. 4 pick in the 2004 draft, remember? The next seven picks were Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow Jr., Roy Williams, D'Angelo Hall, Reggie Williams, Dunta Robinson, Ben Roethlisberger and Jonathan Vilma. He's no stiff. I'd say it's more probable that Rivers becomes a good QB right away over Indy suddenly figuring out how to stop the run, or the Bengals not getting killed by off-the-field stuff, or the Eagles making it to Miami without anyone who can run for a first down when they need one.

Of course, all of this is mitigated by two words: "Marty" and "Schottenheimer." But you know what? We don't have to worry about that for another four months. I think they're the best team right now, and I think they throttle the Ravens in Baltimore on Sunday. And that's why you rank the teams.

ducks
09-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Chargers Will Get The W

Chris Berman
09-29-2006, 10:34 PM
The Schwam is picking the Ravens to get pressure on Phillip "down by the " Rivers. The last time the Ravens D looked this good, they went on to win it all. I rememba...............cause i was THERE

NBA Junkie
09-29-2006, 10:51 PM
This is a tough one to pick. I'll go with the Chargers as their defense seems to be as good as Baltimore's and they have a more versatile LT as opposed to a I've seen better days running back in Jamal Lewis.

Fillmoe
09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
ravens got this..... philips inexperience will show...... i hope im not wrong because then i wont hear the end of it from TSA...

sanity wanna make a sig bet on this?

TheSanityAnnex
09-29-2006, 11:50 PM
ravens got this..... philips inexperience will show...... i hope im not wrong because then i wont hear the end of it from TSA...

sanity wanna make a sig bet on this?

Sig bet????

For sure. I can't have enough people asking me for this!

Will you make your own sig? I know you are photoshop capable.
Lets discuss the sig after the Ravens lose.

TheSanityAnnex
09-29-2006, 11:51 PM
The Schwam is picking the Ravens to get pressure on Phillip "down by the " Rivers. The last time the Ravens D looked this good, they went on to win it all. I rememba...............cause i was THERESchwam.........................you must have noticed how fucking shitty the Ravens offense has looked?

Fillmoe
09-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Sig bet????

For sure. I can't have enough people asking me for this!

Will you make your own sig? I know you are photoshop capable.
Lets discuss the sig after the Ravens lose.

aight so its a bet.... ravens win you have to sport a sig of my choice for a whole week until the next sunday..... if the chargers win i have do the same.........

TheSanityAnnex
09-30-2006, 12:16 AM
aight so its a bet.... ravens win you have to sport a sig of my choice for a whole week until the next sunday..... if the chargers win i have do the same.........

I'm down to go the whole season with this bet........................you???

Fillmoe
09-30-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm down to go the whole season with this bet........................you???

nah if i lose i dont want to have to sport a wack ass sig for a whole season.... :lol

TheSanityAnnex
09-30-2006, 04:42 AM
nah if i lose i dont want to have to sport a wack ass sig for a whole season.... :lol
two weeks it is.

...........and it will be a chamillionaire sig, and a fun one too.