PDA

View Full Version : Stein's first Power Rankings

ponky
09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Courtesy of espn.com, I only posted the first fifteen:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2007&week=-1&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Power Rankings: Heat start off on top with West trio not far behind
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

You survived 163 days without a fresh batch of NBA Power Rankings.

You can exhale now and soak in our annual Training Camp edition, with two-a-days commencing over the weekend for the four teams bound for Europe and on Tuesday for everyone else.

For the purposes of review, allow me to share my usual reminder that this set of rankings is a barometer of each team's standing heading into camp. How good a team is projected to be is only part of the equation at this early stage. How good its summer was factors in as well, along with a dash of totally subjective whim. For example: Sacramento, Memphis and Philadelphia have better talent than their rankings suggest but all took a big tumble because of their offseasons.

The next set of rankings will appear on Oct. 30, one day before Opening Night, after all 30 teams have a month to impress us. The rankings will then continue every Monday through the regular season. Click here to comment on the first helping.

Editor's note: Last Week and Record categories are from the final Power Rankings of the 2005-06 regular season.

# SportsNation: Rank them yourself!

Team Archives:

2006-07 Power Rankings: Training Camp
RANK (LAST WK) TEAM REC. COMMENT

1 (6) Heat 52-30 Why wouldn't my Heat get the same treatment every defending champ gets from the committee (of one)? They start on top and shame on you for suspecting otherwise.

2 (3) Mavericks 60-22 On paper, Mavs are even deeper than they were. But they still have to keep Nowitzki fresh, cope with the brutal West and prove they can get over their Finals heartache.

3 (2) Spurs 63-19 Tell me you're not buying this Spurs Are Slipping stuff. Don't forget they won 63 games last season playing more small ball than they've ever played before.

4 (4) Suns 54-28 If we knew what to expect from Amare -- and if it's good news -- Suns would be my pick to win it all. They still might be, but I'll need October to scout it out.

5 (1) Pistons 64-18 Wrenching as it was to lose Darko and Big Ben in a five-month span, Detroit still ranks no worse than No. 2 in a weakened (at the top) East in spite of that No. 11 summer.

6 (12) Bulls 41-41 Skeptics will say Bulls haven't even won a playoff series yet. My counter: Chicago played Miami tougher than anyone in the East and just added Ben, P.J. and more.

7 (8) Cavaliers 50-32 Cavs have proven they're East top-four material. But Bulls look stronger from here unless Hughes makes a splashy return or LBJ can carry even more of the load.

8 (13) Clippers 47-35 Clips came within one win of the West finals and bring back almost the exact same team. Still trying to work out which of those developments is more extraordinary.

9 (23) Rockets 34-48 Signing a desperate Bonzi on the cheap? Had to do it. Now can T-Mac and Yao stay healthy? Had to ask . . . no matter how much better their supporting cast looks.

10 (19) Hornets 38-44 What stuns me even more than Hornets' first-ever summer splash are all the negative reactions. Would another summer of non-spending have been better?

11 (5) Nets 49-33 A year ago, Rod Thorn said J-Kidd's Nets were deeper than ever. No one's even pretending to say so now about a small, thin crew at risk for exiting the East elite.

12 (10) Lakers 45-37 Remember how we picked Lakers to make the playoffs just because Phil was back? In this West, Phil and Kobe might have to have better years just to keep them there.

13 (22) Warriors 38-44 Still not totally sure which seven West teams will finish below Warriors. But that's Nellie's problem. I only made the playoff guarantee; it's his job to live up to it.

14 (14) Nuggets 44-38 The roster looks better and so does 'Melo, but the concerns haven't changed: Nuggets need shooters and (uh-oh) need Furious George and K-Mart to co-exist somehow.

15 (16) Jazz 41-41 If Jazz miss the playoffs again, that would be four straight trips to the lottery. Tough to imagine Jerry Sloan going out that way, but the West could well be that brutal.

Solid D
09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
No Orlando Magic, one of the hottest teams closing out the regular season?

ChumpDumper
09-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Absolutely, Solid. They're better than any of the teams after #12 and could be put around #10 without raising too many eyebrows.

TheSanityAnnex
09-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Hornets, Jazz, Lakers, and Warriors over the Kings (who post artest had one of the best records)???

Is this printed on paper somewhere, I need to take a shit.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Losing Bonzi hurt.

TheSanityAnnex
09-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Losing Bonzi hurt.Not having him for five years does not hurt.

ploto
09-30-2006, 09:13 AM
No Orlando Magic, one of the hottest teams closing out the regular season?
He has them at #19. Way too low.