PDA

View Full Version : 2006-07 Question Marks

timvp
09-30-2006, 02:02 AM
As training camp starts, to me there are more questions than there are answers. I’m sure this San Antonio Spurs team can win a lot of regular season games but that’s not what I’m concerned with. There is only one goal going into this season. Too bad there isn’t only one question mark.

Question One
Where is the long small forward the Spurs said they need?
Right after the Spurs’ season ended, Pop said the Spurs needed a Derrick McKey type player. I wholeheartedly agreed with Pop then but here we are four months later and that player isn’t on the roster.

The Spurs were murdered in the playoffs last year by players like Bonzi Wells and Dirk Nowitzki and they needed to address that by adding a player who can swing between the small forward and power forward spots defensively. The Spurs have failed to do so … unless you believe that Eric Williams, Richard Melzer or Jamar Smith is the answer. Personally, I think the Spurs still have the same glaring hole they’ve had for years.

Question Two
Who is going to be the backup point guard?
I know the Spurs are saying that the backup point guard job is Beno Udrih’s to lose, but I just don’t think Beno has it. I know there are some in here who see him as John Stockton but with a better jumper but my honest evaluation is that he’s simply not an NBA point guard.

And actually, in FIBA during the World Championships, he wasn’t even the point guard for Slovenia. When he was in the game with Sani Becirovic (a 6-foot-5 shooting guard who destroyed his knee a few years back), Udrih was the shooting guard. And that’s not even bringing up the fact that Beno wasn’t even the best point guard on his team (Jaka Lactosintolevic or whatever is much more of a legit point guard).

If the NBA was a half court game, Beno would be an All-Star. But it isn’t and Beno can’t dribble or handle fullcourt pressure. I dare someone to name a worse ballhandling point guard in the NBA. There isn’t one and unless Beno spent the summer with Curly Neal, I don’t have much hope that he’s going to magically learn to handle the ball.

Jacque Vaughn is a decent third string point guard. The problem is the Spurs needed to address having a decent backup point guard.

Question Three
Is Tim Duncan going to try this year during the regular season?
I know a lot of people like to believe that Duncan was injured last year and that’s why his regular season numbers were off, but I personally do not believe he was giving total 100% effort during the regular season. As it turned out, it worked.

For the regular season, that is. Because the Spurs didn’t rely on Duncan in the regular season, they didn’t know what to do in the playoffs. Four-Down was a mystery to the new players. And Duncan didn’t have the stamina he usually has because he hadn’t been playing all out since the previous June.

This season the Spurs need to have Duncan be Tim Duncan all year. No more of this 18 points per game BS. This is Duncan’s team and that has to be apparent all season. If the Spurs are to win a championship, they have to play championship basketball all season. Playing a gimmick offense during the regular season only adds to the problems in the playoffs.

Question Four
Will Tony Parker have a three-point shot?
In the Spurs’ offense, especially in the playoffs, the Spurs really do need Parker to have a three-point shot. To allow Duncan to do his work down low, all the perimeter players need to be threats from the outside.

This was going to be the summer that Parker worked on his three-point shooting. But after spending it playing around in France and mending a broken finger, the Spurs will be lucky if Parker is able to shoot from downtown as well as he did last season.

That isn’t good.

Question Five
Can Manu Ginobili ever regain his 2004-05 magic?
Ginobili’s playoff run in 2005 was one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from a guard in the NBA. He was so good that summer that I couldn’t imagine him playing any better.

In last year’s playoffs, he took that natural step back. He was good, but he wasn’t 2005 Playoff good. Honestly, I don’t think Manu can ever reach that level again. That was his peak.

Now hopefully he can play more consistently this year and stay healthy. He doesn’t have to be Supermanu but the Spurs need him to be playing at an All-Star level.

Question Six
Will Pop have the guts to go young?
Francisco Elson is not an NBA starting center. Actually, I’m not sure he’s an NBDL starting center. The quicker Pop goes with Jackie Butler, the better off the Spurs will be.

Obviously, Butler will have to do his part. He needs to learn how to score and rebound next to Duncan without getting in his way. If Butler can learn to become a role-player with good basketball instincts, he’s going to be a great signing. If Elson is starting come April, the Spurs are doomed.

Luckily, Pop is a hard ass and is always willing to give everyone a chance. He went with Stephen Jackson over Steve Smith and that won the Spurs a championship. He’s going to have to make a similar ballsy move this season.

Question Seven
Do the Spurs have the athletes to compete in today’s game?
With no contact allowed on perimeter players, the NBA game today rewards athleticism more than ever. It’s virtually impossible to stop a guy from driving to the basket without fouling him, and that plays right into the hands of players like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and yes even Dirk Nowitzki.

The Spurs have Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili to create of the dribble. That’s fine but neither one is big enough to constantly draw fouls and get to the line – especially in the playoffs. Who else on this team can drive to the hoop? Who else on this team can take advantage of the way the game is played?

That’s not even mentioning the advanced age of this team. Robert Horry is 36, Bruce Bowen is 35, Brent Barry and Williams are 34 and Michael Finley is 33. That is ancient in NBA terms.

Question Eight
Can the Spurs rebound?
I know I’ve harped on it all summer but the Spurs were horrible in the playoffs last year rebounding the ball and now they are an even worse rebounding team. For those that don’t remember the numbers, the Spurs were outrebounded in 11 of their final 12 playoff games.

Gone is Nazr Mohammed, a guy who if nothing else could rebound. Gone is Rasho Nesterovic, a guy who if nothing else was from Slovenia.

Rebounding was the Spurs’ biggest weakness last year in the playoffs. They are now even worse at coming up with caroms.

Not good.

Question Nine
Do the Spurs still have a quality bench?
The Spurs have always prided themselves on being one of the deepest teams in the league. Key bench production was vital in 1999, 2003 and 2005. This season, who is going to step up and bring that lift off the bench.

Finley is an obvious choice, but he alone wasn’t good enough last year. Other than Finley, who will step up to be the playoff assassian?

Anyone?

Bueller? Barry? Bob? Bonner? Beno? ‘Berto?

That’s a good question.

Question Ten
Is this team and city still hungry?
Yeah, the Spurs have won three NBA championships. Three (3). Tell me that ten years ago and I tell you that I’d die a happy Spurs fan.

But this isn’t over yet. The Spurs should win at least two more championships in the Tim Duncan Era. There is no excuse not to.

The Spurs have the best bigman in the world. They have an All-Star backcourt. They have a Hall of Fame coach. They have role players that buy into the team concept.

The only thing you can’t quantify on paper is heart and the hunger for more. The Spurs could easily rest on their laurels and this franchise could ride off into the sunset never sniffing another title again and the record books would show it as a successful period in San Antonio Spurs basketball.

But three isn’t enough.

Hopefully the Spurs truly want more and will fight to get more.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Who in God's name sees Beno Udrih as a better John Stockton?

I swear, they're getting beaten with a chancla if they fess up.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-30-2006, 02:19 AM
dream on

I fail to remember when Gregg Popovich had to make a commercial imploring fans to actually think his team might win in a season.

Rynospursfan
09-30-2006, 02:37 AM
1. Bonner is as close as you are going to get. I doubt Eric Williams plays much.
2. I'm guessing Vaughn will back up Tony, I agree Beno's handle is a major problem. But so is Vaughn's shooting. This is a big concern for me.
3. I think Tim will have a strong season. But then again I also buy into that PF conspiracy.
4. Tony will not have a 3pt shot. That finger injury screwed that dream. Maybe next year.
5. Manu will be back, and hungry as ever!
6. No pop won't play the young Butler very much this season, too much Larry Brown in him. Although he did let Parker go wild. I just don't see as much potential in Butler. I see Butler getting about the same amount of time as Oberto in 06-07. Butler will pay off in the long run though.
7. Yes, Parker, Manu, Finley and Duncan are just fine as far as athleticism goes. (When healthy of course)
8. No, Rebounding may still be a big issue if we get the wrong match up.
9. Maybe the best Bench they have ever had expect Bonner to be a very nice surprise.
10. Hell yeah, time to kick some ass!

DieMrBond
09-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Gone is Rasho Nesterovic, a guy who if nothing else was from Slovenia.

:lol

All up, reasonable questions to ask. Hopefully, the comments Tim/Tony/Manu/Bruce etc were making at Media Day about having a chip on their shoulder and wanting to take the 'ship back, will mean a better spurs team that takes no prisoners.

Hey, at least they dont have the pressure of repeating on their shoulders this year. They seem to perform better that way! :)

velik_m
09-30-2006, 02:42 AM
1. Where is the long small forward the Spurs said they need?
Bonner?

2. Who is going to be the backup point guard?
Beno by comitee, but i wouldn't be surprised if spurs draft a pg come next draft.
(and Jaka is even more of a sg)

3. Is Tim Duncan going to try this year during the regular season?
i think so

4. Will Tony Parker have a three-point shot?
no

5. Can Manu Ginobili ever regain his 2004-05 magic?
no

6. Will Pop have the guts to go young?
no

7. Do the Spurs have the athletes to compete in today?s game?
probably not, but athleticism is overrated anyway.

8. Can the Spurs rebound?
Rebounding will improve, it's the interior defense that will suffer.

9. Do the Spurs still have a quality bench?
i'm leaning towards no, the Spurs didn't have bench in this year's playoff and i don't think the moves changed that significantly.

10. Is this team and city still hungry?
yes.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-30-2006, 02:50 AM
How do you do "Beno by Committee"?

One player dribbles off his foot, another doesn't make the 8-second clock and yet another cheers at the end of the bench. I'm sorry, but "Closer by Committee" doesn't work in baseball, so I think we need a Mariano Rivera-type Beno Udrih.

One player to do all the things I mentioned above, and sadly, we have that player on a rookie deal.

Bruno
09-30-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm disapointing that Spurs don't get a guy like that this summer.
Eric Williams is maybe our best solution but can he still play at a high level ?

Beno can be a great backup PG : never forget his rookie season.
If Beno fails, Vaughn will be able to give the 10-14 solid minutes needed to backup Parker : never forget that he has played more than 15mpg for 6 seasons.

Yes because it's easier to try when you're healthier.

Yes, the injury thing is BS : Parker missed only 2 weeks of practice because of that. Playoff starts in 7 months, Parker will work on his jumpshot during the preseason and the regular season. You can work on your jumpshot during the season because it's not a tiring training, the best proof of that is maybe Parker improvement during the regular season last year.

No but he will be better this year than last year.

Spurs young players are Parker, Udrih and Butler.
Parker's and Udrih's roles are well defined, so the question is : "Will Pop have the guts to use Butler ?"
I think that Butler will get playtime if he is able to play some quite good D. For the moment, Elson seems to be a better defender. It's up to Butler to deserve playtime, one thing is sure : a lot of playtime is available at PF/C.

7. Do the Spurs have the athletes to compete in today?s game?
Spurs are fine with Parker and Ginobili. They still lack their athletic SF.

When you use Finley at PF, it's logical that you are outrebounded.
Spurs were not a bad rebounding during the reagular season last year and if they weren't a top rebounding team, you can blame it on the fact that we use a SG at SF. Spurs will still be an average rebounding team like last year.

Udrih/Barry/Finley is a solid bench at PG/SG/SF.
Spurs bigs are a big question mark.

The team seems to be hungry.
I don't know for the city and it's not that important : they don't play after all.

ploto
09-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Question One
Not in San Antonio. People are fooling themselves if they think Bonner is the answer. The idea was to have a long small forward that could defend.

Question Two
People will be surprised at my answer- but I think it will be Vaughn. For Beno's sake, I hope he gets traded before the deadline. I do not expect the Spurs to pick up his option.

Question Three
More than last year-- out of necessity. Tim is going to have to handle more of the defensive load if the Spurs want to win regular season games, especially early on.

Question Four
No.

Question Five
No- I agree that 2004 Olympics through 2005 NBA Championships was Manu's peak, but I think if he can stay somewhat heathy then he will be better than last season.

Question Six
Not with Butler. I notice how you still do not mention Oberto and I still believe he will get a chance long before Butler.

Question Seven
Not really. The guys who are perceived as athletic, really aren't strong enough by today's standards.

Question Eight
Can the Spurs rebound?
No. The bigs are even worse rebounders and the defense will be worse- higher opponent's FG % = less defensive rebounds to get. Bruce is a great defender, but a poor defensive rebounder in today's NBA. I think that is the biggest reason he hasn't won a defensive player of the year award. As for your expected crack on Rasho, at least he was taught how to box out at an early age.

Question Nine
Quality but too old-- Finley, Horry, Barry, Vaughn, Oberto

Question Ten
Last year's team was not. I never saw it. I think Horry's mindset began to permeate the taem- thinking they could just flip the switch when they needed to. Tony is really the ONLY guy who I saw actually play a WHOLE season last year the way a player should. And I agree- I don't think it was all due to injuries.

Solid D
09-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Those are some excellent questions. I agree with most of your assumptions, timvp, particularly the 3/4 combo player who can play at both ends of the court.

I still often wonder why the Spurs weren't able or willing to trade with ATL to nab Boris Diaw, with all their internal knowledge about him but oh well, water under the bridge now.

I disagree with your assumption that the Spurs forgot how to play 4-down in the playoffs. Don't forget, AJ and Joe know the alignment and lanes well for that. Many times Dallas forced the Spurs to dribble out of their spots when Timmy passed. Timmy certainly got his points.

With regard to TP's 3-pt shooting, I don't think it's necessary for his success but there are 2 or 3 spots on the floor in screen scenarios that could enhance his threat to the opposing defense. The corner and the top. The top for high screen, defender goes under. The corner late in the shot clock, screen or no screen. Those shots have made Chauncey Billups one of the top 2 PGs.

Pop is crazy if he doesn't use Jacque Vaughn against Beno in practice every day in October to help Beno get stronger with the ball. I do think Beno is a fundamentally a good PG.

This team has a few different situational options than they had last season, so the role players will have to prepare well and be ready to produce when their names are called.

The question I will add to the list:
Is Matt Bonner going to be a David Wood or Danny Ferry type player, or is he going to be a one-dimensional Brad Lohaus?

ducks
09-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Elson spent the past two months in San Antonio, working out daily and playing a lot of pickup ball. He likes the business-like approach of his new teammates.

LaMarcus Bryant
09-30-2006, 10:31 AM
I have been waiting for timvp's season outlook and was secretly hoping it would be more optimistic. Reading this, even the last part, it makes me realize we are way too old and those weaknesses have only been intensified, yeeeesh.

Walton Buys Off Me
09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Ginobili will return to form timvp.

Take it to the bank. A Walton guarantee that you can hold me to at the end of this season.

Winners don't ever stop being winners.

Solid D
09-30-2006, 12:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/el_photo_gallery_082306.jpg

Will this be the prevalent lineup?

I think I'll make small-ball my sig for a while. :smokin

Solid D
09-30-2006, 12:53 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/el_082206_1.jpg
More Questions:

Do you think Tony's shot will be altered because he has a crooked finger?

Also, do you think Tony should bandage his legs up so that he can be like Jason Terry? :spin

LaMarcus Bryant
09-30-2006, 01:08 PM
his finger is crooked?

Solid D
09-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Yep.

MI21
09-30-2006, 02:27 PM
I think Reggie Evans was the answer to all of those questions, and more.

:)

Solid D
09-30-2006, 02:28 PM
:lol True

timvp
01-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Bump.

Question One
Still not on the roster.

Question Two
Anyone else want to believe me now that Beno isn't an NBA point guard?

Question Three
As I suspected, Tim's injury last year was overblown. He just wasn't trying. And it's more of the same this year so far.

Question Four
Not really. He has the percentage but doesn't shoot them.

Question Five
He's damn streaky but I see more glimpses this year than last year.

Question Six
Nope. By now Butler could be a real NBA center. Instead, Horry is starting. Ouch.

Question Seven
Good question. Early indications point to no.

Question Eight
Can the Spurs rebound?
They rebound pretty well against bad teams. Against quality teams, they still struggle.

Question Nine
No.

Question Ten
This team hasn't played with fire all year and going to the AT&T Center is like going to a library this year.

So far it looks like there is one maybe out of ten. :shootme

Das Texan
01-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Bump.

Question One
Still not on the roster.

Question Two
Anyone else want to believe me now that Beno isn't an NBA point guard?

Question Three
As I suspected, Tim's injury last year was overblown. He just wasn't trying. And it's more of the same this year so far.

Question Four
Not really. He has the percentage but doesn't shoot them.

Question Five
He's damn streaky but I see more glimpses this year than last year.

Question Six
Nope. By now Butler could be a real NBA center. Instead, Horry is starting. Ouch.

Question Seven
Good question. Early indications point to no.

Question Eight
Can the Spurs rebound?
They rebound pretty well against bad teams. Against quality teams, they still struggle.

Question Nine
No.

Question Ten
This team hasn't played with fire all year and going to the AT&T Center is like going to a library this year.

So far it looks like there is one maybe out of ten. :shootme

:pctoss

Fabbs
01-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Q6 Will Pop have the guts to go young? Butler on bench while Horry plays

I don't get how Butler was allowed to come into not only camp but supposedly two months into the season was not in shape. Still is not in shape?

Did not Pat Riley just deactivate two Heat players for not meeting conditioning goals? (While Fatquile is reportedly 350 :elephant )

Butler was signed in what, June?

timvp
01-11-2007, 01:25 AM
I don't get how Butler was allowed to come into not only camp but supposedly two months into the season was not in shape. Still is not in shape?

Did not Pat Riley just deactivate two Heat players for not meeting conditioning goals? (While Fatquile is reportedly 350 :elephant )

Butler was signed in what, June?

It appears as if the Spurs believe that deKnicking a player takes a full year.

Fabbs
01-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Good list tho and i concur 9 of 10 not met.

Ouch! It hurt watching JR Smith tonight. That answered 1 6 and 7. Probably 8 too.

T Park
01-11-2007, 01:31 AM
If he didn't get into shape yet, or has, then he doesn't deserve to start.

Nor even be activated.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 02:04 AM
By now Butler could be a real NBA center.I have seen no evidence of that.

timvp
01-11-2007, 02:05 AM
I have seen no evidence of that.

Exactly.

:hat

T Park
01-11-2007, 02:06 AM
We've seen no evidence of him actually, period.

Mr. Body
01-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Good list tho and i concur 9 of 10 not met.

Ouch! It hurt watching JR Smith tonight. That answered 1 6 and 7. Probably 8 too.

Why do people think JR Smith would get any playing time on the Spurs? Didn't you see his lousy defense? Pop would never play this guy, just hi-five himself for dumping Barry's contract.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Exactly.

:hatNo, I mean when he has played I have seen no evidence that he could have become an NBA center by this point.

:fro

T Park
01-11-2007, 05:08 AM
Neither have I chump.

The only game I've seen him in, was the one against Miami, and he looked outright horrid.

Although more PT would fix it Im sure, more PT fixed bonner.

yourtehclay
01-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Question One
Well we have a 6-8 defensive role player in Eric Williams on the roster. He doesn't perfectly fit the mould but due to some personel problems with pop he isn't getting minutes.

Question Two
Jacque has played well in limited opportunities. Despite his shooting he seems to know his role on the team and I would welcome him as the full time backup. It wouldn't be an area of strength for our team but Vaughn's d and passing would prevent it being an obviously exploitable weakness.

Question Three
His effort has been on and off. Tonight though I thought he really lifted the team in a situation where he usually whines to the refs. It seemed promising, hopefully he turns a corner. Still a big question though.

Question Four
From what I've seen Tony now has a three point shot that is respectable. He doesn't shoot it often which is good in my book because he isn't going away from his strengths and settling for jumpers ala baron davis.

Question Five
Simple answer no. He's progressed from last season though and can still do his thing in the fourth quarter. 2004-2005 was legendary, manu played out of his mind.

Question Six
This is Pop's downfall. He refuses to go away from what he is familiar with. I dont mean throwing Oberto out and throwing Butler in, but I feel he should have given Butler a few meaningful minutes during Elson's absense.

Question Seven
Of course they do. They wouldn't be in the playoff picture if they didn't. Barry, Finley, Manu and to a lesser extent parker are all quality athletes. We're just lacking some strength on the perimeter to match up with Dallas. Which is why the Spurs are looking into trading for Maggette.

Question Eight
Can the Spurs rebound?
When they want to they can be competent rebounders. They dont have the personel outside of Tim to be dominant in this area. Motivation is they key, they all seem to think that someone else will do it at times.

Question Nine
They have a quality bench but a bench that differs wildly from the majority in the league. With the league's youth movement teams seem to use raw athletes off the bench, where we used refined vets. Many teams fear our bench and rightly so. Although we do struggle mightily at times with the lack of youth on our bench at times, especially against our elite west rivals.

Question Ten
This is where I have my doubts. The only player who shows the hunger right now is Manu Ginobili, Elson seems to play with a lot of passion too. Right now the team as a unit is not hungry enough to win a championship, but a few wakeup calls here and there and maybe things change.

polandprzem
01-11-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm not agreeing with Butler being starter for the spurs

And Tim's not trying. IMO it is a wish Tim can just take his game into another level (or his "real level") cause he is not trying at the moment :shootme

zeleni
01-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Pop said...we will try with Finley and Bowen.

Beno Udrih. These playoffs are meant for revenge against the Mavs. A guy like Beno is going to be motivated fot another ring. Beno was not allowed to be a starting PG since he let his team down before Belgrade EC.

He was disappointed after the playoffs. I think he will produce great numbers after the Rodeo trip.

Never quite. Certainly he will work on it, but i do not think we will se a lot of it even the next season.

Yes. But only with a younger team. Hey, fact still remains we do not need magic. He is great even when he is not a magician.

Absolutely. It's all about Beno, guys!

7. Do the Spurs have the athletes to compete in today's game?
Absolutely. But do they play defence..? ;)

No. They will never outrebound teams when playing Oberto and Bowen or with Finley on PF. Elson, Butler, Bonner, Williams, Udrih are all good rebounders.

Hell yes.

That question is not that important. The question is...Is TIM DUNCAN hungry?

MoSpur
01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
The three that get me are the Tim Duncan not trying. I hate to admit it because he is a Spur and probably the greatest Spur all time, but he just doesn't seem to be into it more times than not. He whines way too much and looks lost out there at times. I know he should get more star treatment like Kobe and LeBron do, but he shouldn't expect that. He needs to step it up.

The other two that get me are the rebounding and the bench play. Tim should be averaging around 13 boards a game. However, this is not happening and it could be because of Elson and Oberto.

The whole bench play irritates me. Finley, Barry, Beno, and Bonner should be getting it done and they aren't. Bonner has been stepping it up lately and looks like the only Spur besides Tony and Manu that actually give a damn when they're on the court. Barry has had a solid season so far, but at times disappears. Finley has been in a slump for a long time now. In my opinion he is slowly getting himself out of it. Beno is a disappointment.

FromWayDowntown
01-11-2007, 11:05 AM
I'd frankly be a bit more optimistic about Butler's future if it looked like he ever gave a damn in the few minutes he gets on the floor. As it is, he loafs in transition, doesn't seem to have a clue where he's supposed to be on either end of the floor, and honestly appears to believe that he has better things to do than to make the most of those minutes. Lament the fact that Pop limits his opportunities if you will, but the truth is that Jackie might instill Pop with a bit more confidence if he showed any sort of enthusiasm or understanding. For now, he looks more like Bateer than anything else and until that changes, I can see why Pop would be reluctant to give him important minutes.

Fabbs
01-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Why do people think JR Smith would get any playing time on the Spurs? Didn't you see his lousy defense? Pop would never play this guy, just hi-five himself for dumping Barry's contract.
Manu worked him for sure in the 4th qtr. But an "on" Manu works everybody.
As long as he missed shots pop would play him. :lol

Kamnik
01-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Jaka Lakovic would get killed by pressure defence during playoffs just like Beno did

maybe he could do better in regular season; but he would 100% sure get killed by tougher guards

in the world championship he was at times a turnover machine

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I think that if the Spurs successfully could address Question 1, that the other items/questions would be answered "yes".

Get a good, young, versatile 3 in the mix and the Spurs should win it all.