PDA

View Full Version : FOXSports' Top 10 Small Forwards

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Ranking the NBA's top small forwards
Mike Kahn / Special to FOXSports.com

Seemingly every day, every week and every month, LeBron James becomes exponentially more mature. Of course, it was noticeable on the basketball court as he led the surprising Cleveland Cavaliers to a near upset of the Detroit Pistons in the playoffs last spring.

Now he's expanded his horizons by lunching with billionaire Warren Buffett and chatting with David Letterman. But when he, Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade were named captains of the Senior National Team at the FIBA World Championships, it was apparent even to coach Mike Krzyzewski that at 21, James is wise far beyond his age.

And James appreciates it, which is even more telling and has just as much to do with why he is once again at the top of the list as we rank the small forwards heading into the 2006-07 NBA season.

"You've got to show leadership on the court and off the court and you've got to show responsibility," James said. "We have to approach the game the right way and take care of business."

That's the definition of leadership, of course, but that means nothing with the stats that he provides either. Considering how James averaged 31.4 points, 7 rebounds and 6.6 assists, joining the rarified air of Michael Jordan and Oscar Robertson — but nobody has put up those numbers at his age.

But he is hardly alone at this most talented position. Anthony continued to make an enormous jump from his troubled second season and took it to another level for not only the Nuggets — leading the NBA in game-winning shots — but becoming the go-to guy for Team USA.

Although the U.S. team fell short at the world championships, LeBron James' leadership skills were impressive. (TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA/AFP / Getty Images)

"He was the biggest surprise," Krzyzewski said. "He came in the first day and worked as hard as anybody on his game — setting the tone."

So that allows Anthony to move up the ladder, but not enough to unseat the unorthodox and amazingly effective Shawn Marion of the Phoenix Suns; but just enough to nose out high-scoring Paul Pierce, who is still working at catapulting the young Boston Celtics into contention.

New Jersey Nets forward Richard Jefferson is one of the more consistent players on both ends of the court, with controversial Ron Artest now on the Sacramento Kings, and his ultimate successor in Indiana Al Harrington right on his heels to be in the top five.

It was the final three that were tough, with the incredibly versatile Andrei Kirilenko slightly on the bubble, if only because he's so injury prone. And young Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard continues to be a major factor on a superb team, moving into the top 10 — and that left us with the two best long-range shooters of the bunch — Seattle's Rashard Lewis and Peja Stojakovic, now with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.

Ultimately, we went with Lewis, if only because Stojakovic has punked out so much in the postseason in recent years — first with the Sacramento Kings and last year with the Indiana Pacers. Nonetheless, he's still one of the top three shooters in the game — which leaves him at 11th — and a diverse group right there with him also receiving consideration.

That said, on with the top 10.

1. LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers: 21, 6-8, 240
James keeps raising his level of play, averaging 31.4 pts., 7 rebs., 6.6 ast. and 1.56 stl., and sank an impressive .480 of his field goal attempts. More importantly, he raised the level of play for the entire Cavaliers team — nearly making it to the conference finals. The key this season will be how he helps Larry Hughes co-exist and stay healthy at the same time. Now that would make him a miracle-worker.

2. Shawn Marion, Phoenix Suns: 28, 6-7, 230
Marion's numbers of 21.8 pts., 11 reb., 1.8 ast., 1.98 stl., and .525 field goal percentage are really more impressive considering he had to play power forward with neither Amare Stoudemire or Kurt Thomas around during their stretch run. With both players back, Marion returns to his natural small forward spot as the Suns seek an unprecedented third consecutive trip to the conference finals.

3. Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets: 22, 6-8, 225
Just because 'Melo averaged 26.5 pts., 4.9 reb., 2.7 ast., 1.1 stl., and made .481 of his shots from the field isn't why he has moved into the top five. It's his attitude, approach and the fact that he led the NBA in game-winning shots. His performance in Japan this summer with Team USA also helped prove he's done being a kid in grownup shorts and is serious about becoming a perennial NBA All-Star.

4. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics: 28, 6-6, 230
He continues to prove with his numbers of 26.8 pts., 6.7 reb., 4.7 ast., 1.35 stl., and .471 from the field to be one of the premier scorers in the league. What we're still waiting for is whether he's got leadership qualities for his young teammates after years as a well-documented whiner. Only time will tell if he is worthy of his massive contract extension, or he'll just put up numbers without team success.

5. Richard Jefferson, New Jersey Nets: 26, 6-7, 225
Despite averaging 19.5 pts., 6.8 reb., 3.8 ast., .76 stl. and hitting .493 of his shots, it would be easy for R.J. to get lost in the wake of Jason Kidd's great point guard play and the spectacular scoring of Vince Carter. Instead, he's the perfect complement, particularly since he still plays such superb man defense and can do anything inside or outside on the offensive end.

6. Ron Artest, Sacramento Kings: 26, 6-7, 245
Although Artest's numbers of 17.6 pts., 5.1 reb., 3.6 ast., 2.18 stl., and .404 field goal percentage are hardly earth-shattering, he turned the Kings around with a 20-10 run after he was acquired from the Pacers to make the playoffs. His bizarre behavior can always destroy a team, and he was bound to be 'good' last season. But his defensive toughness and rebounding provided a much-needed change to the Kings' demeanor.

7. Al Harrington, Indiana Pacers: 26, 6-9, 245
Harrington thought it was better to be ‘The Man' with the Hawks as opposed to being the best 'Sixth Man' with the Pacers. He now knows he was wrong, and returned to the Pacers in a sign a trade toting 18.6 pts., 6.9 reb., 3.1 ast., 1.12 stl., and a .452 field goal to finally start next to his best buddy Jermaine O'Neal. The duo could turn out to be devastating together and lead the Pacers back to prominence.

8. Andrei Kirilenko, Utah Jazz: 25, 6-9, 215

There's no doubt that Andrei Kirilenko can play, it's his health that's a concern. (David Sherman / Getty Images)

There is no better fantasy player or better number manufacturer in the boxscore than Kirilenko with his 15.8 pts., 8.0 reb., 4.3 ast., 1.48 stl., .308 3-point and .460 field goal percentage. And that's not to mention he was second in the league with 3.19 blocks per game. The Jazz are a tough team on the bubble and Kirilenko is the lightning rod. The only question is whether or not he is capable of staying healthy for a change.

9. Rashard Lewis, Seattle SuperSonics: 27, 6-10, 225
Lewis averaged 20.1 pts., 5.0 reb., 2.3 ast., 1.31 stl., and shot .467 from the field last season, and he will very likely improve on that as he seeks a contract extension. His rebounding numbers and defensive toughness have been disappointing. But he's a fabulous shooter from very deep and has developed an unstoppable jump hook in the post. He also is injury prone and ineffective in the postseason.

10. Josh Howard, Dallas Mavericks: 26, 6-7, 210
Everybody noticed how Howard stepped up his game in '04-05, but the 15.6 pts, 6.3 reb., 1.9 ast., 1.15 stl., and .471 field goal shooting last year didn't begin to tell the story of what he did to help get the Mavs to the conference finals. What he did was a little bit of everything at both ends of the floor — most of all, he is their energizer. He struggled in the Finals, but it was his third season and he'll get better.

Also receiving consideration were: Peja Stojakovic, New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets; Gerald Wallace, Charlotte Bobcats; Tayshaun Prince, Detroit Pistons; Caron Butler, Washington Wizards; Corey Maggette, Los Angeles Clippers; and Bruce Bowen, San Antonio Spurs.

himat
09-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Tayshaun Prince is a top 10 small forward. He's still underated. I'm not even being a homer.

Solid D
09-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Bruce Bowen is an "Also receiving consideration"? Wow, he's really improved his standing. He never even got to the bottom of the page before. :wow

Bob Lanier
09-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Tayshaun Prince is a top 10 small forward. He's still underated. I'm not even being a homer.
:rollin :drunk

Tracy McGrady anyone? He's a far better player than James.

As is Ron Artest.

Shawn Marion is ridiculously overrated. Al Harrington isn't a 3.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-30-2006, 12:12 PM
TMAC is a shooting guard.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-30-2006, 12:13 PM
And Al Harrington is a 3. He was just put at the 4 because he's tall and the Hawks didn't have anybody else good at the 4.

Solid D
09-30-2006, 12:36 PM
With Foster and O'Neal in the frontcourt, Harrington will start and play the 3. When the Pacers go small, Al will swing to the post and Granger will be on the wing.

Brutalis
09-30-2006, 12:51 PM
ak47 underrated as usual. if we had him it'd be over before it even started.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Finally, Melo gets the recognition he deserves :smokin

Obstructed_View
09-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Hasn't Marion played at the four position for the last three or four years?

NBA Junkie
10-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Hasn't Marion played at the four position for the last three or four years?

Yup. The Suns wanted to move Marion back to the "3" last season before Amare's injury.

The thing is, Marion rebounds better, playing out of position at the "4", than many natural power forwards in the league.

JMarkJohns
10-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Marion has played PF for the last two years, though there were plenty of games last year that he was their SF for large chunks of the time. When KThomas or Diaw played C and Diaw or TThomas played PF, Marion was often the SF alongside them.

Stats-wise, he's where he belongs. But until he can create his own shot, I wouldn't put him ahead of Pierce or Carmelo.

Zunni
10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Richard Jefferson is horrible. He wouldn't even be in theis article if he didn't play in the greater N.Y. MSMA. He's Monty Williams in a large market.

JMarkJohns
10-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Richard Jefferson is horrible. He wouldn't even be in theis article if he didn't play in the greater N.Y. MSMA. He's Monty Williams in a large market.

He's got his flaws (similer to Marion's), but I think it's pretty silly of you to say he's horrible. He's a very good wing who happens to have a sketchy jumper beyond 15-feet and tends to force a few passes...

There's a minimum of 20 teams who'd trade their starting SF for him. Maybe not for the contract that comes with, but for the player, 20-ppg, 7-rpg, 3-apg on very good shooting and solid defense, You'd be hardpressed to find a GM who wouldn't at least want the talents.

1Parker1
10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Shawn Marion and Paul Pierce should be switched.

confined
10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
al harrington and top 10 small forward shouldnt even be metioned in the same sentence

1Parker1
10-02-2006, 09:58 AM
al harrington and top 10 small forward shouldnt even be metioned in the same sentence

:lol That too.

MajorMike
10-02-2006, 11:25 AM
ak47 underrated as usual. if we had him it'd be over before it even started.

He's a great player, he's just injury prone. Hard to hang your hat on a guy that can't play all season.

MajorMike
10-02-2006, 11:30 AM
At the same time... how many teams have 3 players in the top 8 in positions in the NBA? Bowen must be considered top 15 as well.

bdictjames
10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
That's just for offense. If defense wins games, Brucie would be #1, or #2, considering there is Ron Artest

cheguevara
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Artest and Kirilenko should be 5 and 6

JamStone
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
At the same time... how many teams have 3 players in the top 8 in positions in the NBA? Bowen must be considered top 15 as well.

Last year, the Pistons had four in the top ten in each respective position, and Tayshaun was probably top 15.

JamStone
10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
As mentioned, T-Mac is a shooting guard, otherwise, I'd probably rank him at #2 right behind LeBron. And, with Wally Szczerbiak in Boston, I'm pretty sure Paul Pierce plays more shooting guard than small forward. I would rank Artest higher despite his off-the-court issues. Shawn Marion might be slightly overrated, but he just continues to put up big numbers on a winning team. He has played more power forward over the last two seasons, but with Amare returning and Boris Diaw playing the 4-spot, I think the Suns intend to use Marion a lot more as a small forward this upcoming season. I think Al Harrington is overrated as well. He's likely top 15, but I'm not sure he's a top ten small forward in this league.

I would rank as follows:

1. LeBron James
2. Ron Artest
3. Shawn Marion
4. Carmelo Anthony
5. Andrei Kirilenko
6. Richard Jefferson
7. Lamar Odom
8. Josh Howard
9. Tayshaun Prince
10. Gerald Wallace

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
As mentioned, T-Mac is a shooting guard, otherwise, I'd probably rank him at #2 right behind LeBron. And, with Wally Szczerbiak in Boston, I'm pretty sure Paul Pierce plays more shooting guard than small forward. I would rank Artest higher despite his off-the-court issues. Shawn Marion might be slightly overrated, but he just continues to put up big numbers on a winning team. He has played more power forward over the last two seasons, but with Amare returning and Boris Diaw playing the 4-spot, I think the Suns intend to use Marion a lot more as a small forward this upcoming season. I think Al Harrington is overrated as well. He's likely top 15, but I'm not sure he's a top ten small forward in this league.

I would rank as follows:

1. LeBron James
2. Ron Artest
3. Shawn Marion
4. Carmelo Anthony
5. Andrei Kirilenko
6. Richard Jefferson
7. Lamar Odom
8. Josh Howard
9. Tayshaun Prince
10. Gerald Wallace

im assuming you forgot Paul Pierce

MrChug
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
PRIMARILY:
-Pierce will be a 2 this season.
-As the last 2 seasons Marion will be a 4.
-TMac will be a 2 this season too, with Battier or Bonzi starting.

Would THAT drop Bruce into the top 10?? Probably not :(

JamStone
10-03-2006, 01:25 AM
im assuming you forgot Paul Pierce

I'm assuming you didn't read my post.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-03-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm assuming you didn't read my post.

:lol you assumed right :smokin

I never read the first bit b4 i see a list. My eyes go straight to the list :fro

I wish PP would just come to Denver and play SG :drunk