PDA

View Full Version : Dalembert Vows This Year Will Be Rebound Season

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Dalembert vows this year will be rebound season
By Kevin Tatum
Inquirer Staff Writer
After a season of frustration that was brought on not only by the 76ers' dismal season, but also his health, Samuel Dalembert pronounced himself healthy yesterday and eager to live up to the $64 million contract he signed in August of last year.

Dalembert was with his teammates at the Wachovia Center on media day. It was also get-away day, as the Sixers were to take off for Spain, where they will open training camp.

Their first game of the season will be Nov. 1 against visiting Atlanta.

"You know what? The sky's the limit," said the 6-foot-11, 250-pound center, who is entering his fifth year with the Sixers. "I'm not making any excuses. I will push myself to the limit. I am here where I am right now, signed a contract I never expected to sign my whole life, and I'm going to have to work for it."

After showing a lot of promise in 2004-05, Dalembert did not improve last season. In fact, the native of Haiti may have regressed after a quadriceps strain caused him to miss the first 13 games.

From there, Dalembert spent the season mostly trying to catch up and get his timing down. He also sat out three games in February because of an ankle sprain, and wound up averaging 7.3 points and 8.2 rebounds while finishing sixth in the NBA in blocked shots with 2.42 per game.

As the Sixers limped to a 38-44 record, the personable Dalembert appeared troubled by his own situation.

"My spirit is back up, and I'm happy to be here," he said. "There are going to be some down times, and that's part of life. The frustration builds up. Overall, you have to look at the bright side. You're in a way better situation than anybody could imagine, or could have hoped for."

Dalembert said that his off-season workout routine focused on lateral movement, quickness and his first step.

With Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks emphasizing defense and rebounding, the team will need the energy Dalembert provides when he's at his best.

"He had a pretty good stretch when he came back last year, but then he never really got his rhythm," said Tony DiLeo, the Sixers' senior vice president of basketball operations. "Hopefully, he'll stay healthy this year. The main things we want to do this season are play better defense and rebound better. And Samuel is our best rebounder and one of our best defenders."

Dalembert said he is looking forward to working regularly with Moses Malone, who was hired this week to work with the Sixers' big men.

And he is anticipating a rebound season for himself and the team.

"Everybody knows what needs to get done, and we're just going to go out and do it," Dalembert said.

Explorer in camp. Steven Smith, who led La Salle to its best finish in recent years last winter, is in the Sixers camp and looking to earn one of the forward spots.

"I know it's going to be great," said Smith, who was a two-time Atlantic Ten Conference player of the year. "This is the real thing. It's been a long summer, but the road has led me back to my hometown. I've managed to stay patient, and I'm just looking to make good on this opportunity."

Brunson back. After spending time with eight teams in nine NBA seasons, Rick Brunson has returned to Philadelphia.

The 34-year-old guard, who played for John Chaney at Temple, is trying to win a backup spot with the Sixers.

To what does he attribute his longevity?

"Coach Chaney," Brunson said. "He taught me to be thick-skinned and disciplined, and not to take 'no' for an answer, and to work as hard as I can, and to play the way I know how to play."

Iguodala's option. The Sixers picked up the fourth-year option on Andre Iguodala's rookie contract, team president and general manager Billy King said.