PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson against stem cell research

mysterious_elf26
10-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Now this guy is full crapt. He makes a movie to show his faith or whatever like he gives a damn only to make millions to dollars. Where did the money go? To churches or missionaries, or any other rligious charity that he so loved? No, the money went in his pocket and here he is saying stem cell research is a ethical problem?

The only problem is that people are not willing to put aside religion for one second so science could make it possible for some child to get cured from a disease and have a second chance at life.

SpursWoman
10-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Doesn't he have nine kids? That might be indicative of at least one reason why he feels the way he does.

And no, his opinion isn't worth anymore than yours or mine...he's got only one vote just like the rest of us. BTW, I don't agree with him.

Spurminator
10-28-2004, 02:54 PM
He's not against Stem Cell research, he's against some of the methods for obtaining embryos.

NEW YORK Mel Gibson says he has an "ethical problem" with Proposition 71 -- the 3 (b) billion dollar bond measure to fund human embryonic stem cell research.

Gibson appeared on A-B-C's "Good Morning America" today and says that he shouldn't have to pay taxes to help fund the cloning of human embryos.

Gibson is Catholic and he directed "The Passion of the Christ," the controversial movie which chronicles the last hours of the life of Jesus Christ. He says he was initially ecstatic when he first heard about Prop 71, but later changed his mind when he learned about what he called an "unethical" research method.

Link (http://www.kesq.com/global/story.asp?s=2492462&ClientType=Printable)

mysterious_elf26
10-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Gibson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday and said he should not have to pay taxes to help fund the cloning of human embryos.

Oh, yeah he quotes this and he's against the "methods." The first thing he mentions is taxes. He wouldn't even give a coulple of dollars to help save a person's life. He mentioned he it was unethical. How? Never has he mention how it was unethical. The only unethical issue to him is that the rich shouldn't be able to pay for nescesary research to save another person's life.

Doesn't he have nine kids? That might be indicative of at least one reason why he feels the way he does.

I could care less if he has a hundred kids. The point is not many people know the nescesity of stem cell research until they are put in the shoes of a parent of a kid that needs it for a second chance in life.

Spurminator
10-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Elf, he's obviously against some cloning aspect of the research. I think that's fairly obvious if you read the sentence you quoted. You can be in favor of Stem Cell research and not be in favor of cloning embryos for the research.

If you want to argue in favor of the cloning, go for it, but you're completely missing the point here.

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Stem cell research is going on all around the world and in the US as well as we type...There are no limits on privately funded stem cell research...this whole issue is not about banning stem cell research. It is about spending tax dollars to terminate human embryo for their tissue. Making the statement that people that are against taxpayer funding of embryo termination means that they are against curing disease is a gross overstatement.

Samurai Jane
10-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Now this guy is full crapt. He makes a movie to show his faith or whatever like he gives a damn only to make millions to dollars. Where did the money go? To churches or missionaries, or any other rligious charity that he so loved? No, the money went in his pocket and here he is saying stem cell research is a ethical problem?

The only problem is that people are not willing to put aside religion for one second so science could make it possible for some child to get cured from a disease and have a second chance at life.

Um.. he donated at least $10 million to some hospitals...

Spurminator
10-28-2004, 03:23 PM
She's right... (http://www.kesq.com/global/story.asp?s=2492462&ClientType=Printable)

http://w1.159.telia.com/~u15903031/039_15016.jpg

Now apologize before I mutilate you for my own amusement.

JoeChalupa
10-28-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm against any more Lethal Weapon sequels.

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Oops.

Useruser666
10-28-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm against any more Lethal Weapon sequels.

I second that, and call for the burning of LW 2-4!

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Stem cell research is going on all around the world and in the US as well as we type...There are no limits on privately funded stem cell research...this whole issue is not about banning stem cell research. It is about spending tax dollars to terminate human embryo for their tissue. Making the statement that people that are against taxpayer funding of embryo termination means that they are against curing disease is a gross overstatement.

BTW...don't interpret this as my endorsement of the Bush position, however, it IS a classic example of politics getting involved in science. Unfortunately, truth is the first victim.

Fact #1: We don't even know if stem cells will or will not cure any diseases

Fact #2: We are at LEAST 5-10 years away from finding out.

Fact #3: The Kerry faction made this a political issue NOT to "cure disease" but to paint Bush as a right wing religious extremist.

Fact #4: Stem cells are derived from killing human embryos. Much of this debate centers on CREATING human embryos so they than then be destroyed.

Fact #5: Like it or not, there is a very large part of this country that feels that life begins at conception (embryo creation)

Fact #5: The specific practice that Bush stopped was GOVERNMENT FUNDING of the intentional creation of embryos so they could subsequently be destroyed.

Fact #6: Unused fertilized embryos are routinely created and discarded at fertility clinics when they have redundant fertilized eggs to implant. Bush specifically supports the use of these embryos for research (with the permission of the donors)...is this an incostistent position?...yes it is, but that is typical when politics cross-pollinate with science. The simple fact is that these embryos are going to be created and the unused ones discarded anyway (but hopefully for the parents a new life will result in the process)...which is quasi-different morally speaking than creating life with the specific intention of destroying it...

Marcus Bryant
10-28-2004, 04:31 PM
I don't want to be forced to support embryonic stem cell research.

Fact #5: The specific practice that Bush stopped was GOVERNMENT FUNDING of the intentional creation of embryos so they could subsequently be destroyed.

Indeed.

Opinionater
10-28-2004, 04:35 PM
IMHO, I think God gave scientists the knowledge for a reason. A good reason that is.

Useruser666
10-28-2004, 04:42 PM
God gave me a dick, but according to some religions I can't use it to it's fullest potential.

(did that sound right?)

Hook Dem
10-28-2004, 05:11 PM
BTW...don't interpret this as my endorsement of the Bush position, however, it IS a classic example of politics getting involved in science. Unfortunately, truth is the first victim.

Fact #3: The Kerry faction made this a political issue NOT to "cure disease" but to paint Bush as a right wing religious extremist.

Fact #4: Stem cells are derived from killing human embryos. Much of this debate centers on CREATING human embryos so they than then be destroyed.

Fact #5: Like it or not, there is a very large part of this country that feels that life begins at conception (embryo creation)

Fact #6: Unused fertilized embryos are routinely created and discarded at fertility clinics when they have redundant fertilized eggs to implant. Bush specifically supports the use of these embryos for research (with the permission of the donors)...is this an incostistent position?...yes it is, but that is typical when politics cross-pollinate with science. The simple fact is that these embryos are going to be created and the unused ones discarded anyway (but hopefully for the parents a new life will result in the process)...which is quasi-different morally speaking than creating life with the specific intention of destroying it...
Very well spelled out Cowboy! Some in here don't even know what all of this about. It's either" I'm for it because Kerry would have Chris Reeve walking by now" or "I'm against it because Bush doesn't want federal funds to be used". I hope everyone takes the time to read your explaination.

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks HookDem...

I sometimes just don't understand how people have the computer literacy to find a forum like this, find and post stuff from the politicians partisan "fact mills", continually spout their chosen partys "talking points" and just generally recycle the same shit over and over...having grown up in an age where "independent" research meant spending DAYS at the public library and HOPING you could glean a few kernels of wheat from the chaff the lack of independent thinking from both sides is appalling...

people...the raw facts are just a google click away...

PLEASE PEOPLE...don't take ANY politicians word for ANY issue...they are counting on your continued ignorance...

These 50/50 elections we are seeing simply prove that NEITHER party is striking the right balance for our country...

OK...I'm off my soapbox now... :lol

scott
10-28-2004, 05:39 PM
As President of the United States, I would sign a law that would ban the practice of Embryo stealing. Federal funds would be limited to research performed with Embryonic cells within the confines of a government approved Embryo Harvesting Farm.

CosmicCowboy
10-28-2004, 05:45 PM
If John Heinz Kerry REALLY believed in that position he and Tahraaaza would have already funded your farm privately...It's a hard job but SOMEONE has to give away a lot of that dead capitalist pigs money every year so they don't have to pay taxes.

NeoConIV
10-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Where did the money go? To churches or missionaries, or any other rligious charity that he so loved? No, the money went in his pocket and here he is saying stem cell research is a ethical problem?

Duuuuude!!! To churches? You don't have any idea what you're talking about there! He built a Catholic Church in Malibu, with his own money, before the movie came out. He gave $40,000 to a convent in Ohio as well as a special screening of his movie, and who knows how many other Catholic organizations and charities. Gimme a break man.

NeoConIV
10-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Where did the money go? To churches or missionaries, or any other rligious charity that he so loved?

Mel Gibson donates $10 million to Los Angeles hospitals to aid children

LOS ANGELES - Actor Mel Gibson has donated $10 million that will be split between Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA and the Cedars-Sinal Medical Center to help care for children from foreign countries, officials said Tuesday.

The donation will help children with serious medical conditions who are unable to be treated in their own countries. The children who will benefit from Gibson's donation will be recommended by Healing the Children.

"For the past several years, the Gibson family has quietly supported Healing the Children's efforts to help sick and injured children around the world," said the organization's founder, Cris Embleton said. "Not only have they given financial support, they also have given their time and hearts and as a result have seen first hand how people working together can give a child the future they deserve.

Dr. Edward McCabe, physician-in-chief of the Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA, said the gift will enable the hospital to help children worldwide.

"Through this remarkable contribution, the generosity of Mr. Gibson will transform the lives of children throughout the world," McCabe said.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/9901786.htm?1c

Care to retract? I'm sure I can go for days....

Opinionater
10-28-2004, 07:34 PM
IMHO, stem cell research is needed to advance medicine and these exagerrations about Kerry and Edwards "making the sick walk" is just plain stupid. I can see why Bush doesn't want to spend federal funds for it but I wish he'd also stop wasting federal dollars on the amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

It is not just a simple matter of whether you supprt Kerry or Bush.

Can they do anything with all the foreskins instead of just feeding them to the cats?

IcemanCometh
10-28-2004, 09:59 PM
mel gibson went crazy awhile back

E20
10-28-2004, 10:01 PM
I hated Mel in Lethal Weapon 4. No way EVER that Jet Li would lose to Melly. In a real life situation Jet Li would beat the crap out of Mel in .4 seconds.

dcole50
10-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Doesn't matter to me how many churches he built, I still disagree with his opinion on stem cell research and most of everything else. Considering the ridiculous amount of cash he made off The Passsion, he could afford to give donations to hospitals and churches.

Spurminator
10-28-2004, 10:53 PM
I still disagree with his opinion on stem cell research

So you are against Stem Cell research?

Considering the ridiculous amount of cash he made off The Passsion, he could afford to give donations to hospitals and churches.

Ah, I see... he hasn't given enough. That's a logical conclusion. Are you targeting all celebrities who only give $10 million dollars to hospitals, or just the ones who seem to be on the conservaive side of the fence?

dcole50
10-28-2004, 10:58 PM
The title said he was against stem cell research. I disagree with his opinion. Therefore, I am for stem cell research.

Spurminator
10-28-2004, 11:07 PM
The title of the thread is incorrect. You should read the article, or at least the rest of the thread.

Useruser666
10-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Spurminator speaks the truth once again.

mysterious_elf26
10-29-2004, 09:01 AM
Mel Gibson donates $10 million to Los Angeles hospitals to aid children

Ok, he was generous to do that. However, that money was for children who could actually be cured. Stem cell research is for helping people that have a disease that for now could not be cured. Money does not cure everything, science and research does. If money would make any disease go away, would you think Michael J. Fox would still have parkisans disease?

And we will never find out if we do not expand this research.

And it will be a lot longer again if we do not expand this research.

and the rest of you so-called facts are just opinions that republicans oh-so readily use as facts.

Duuuuude!!! To churches? You don't have any idea what you're talking about there! He built a Catholic Church in Malibu, with his own money, before the movie came out. He gave $40,000 to a convent in Ohio as well as a special screening of his movie, and who knows how many other Catholic organizations and charities. Gimme a break man.

Ohh, so he build a catholic church in Malibu. Yeah, we all know the financial crisis malibu is having. I think this year your under the poverty line in malibu if you drive anything less than a porsche, or maybe it was a BMW. Look dumb fuck, out of all the places, he picks a rich neighborhood. The last time I checked there were many more neighborhoods that needed a better church more than malibu. Who knows how many other catholic orgs? Well, not many.

So to be fair, lets have a run-down of his generosity. $40,000 for charities, a church in malibu, and 10 million for hospitals. I think he just used a fraction of his earnings for generosity. You all watched his movie thinking it was for a good cause and he threw you guys a nickel and said now get off his back.

Really, I don't care who supports it or is against it. However, when your a star that knows they will have an impact on human judgment especailly in America and go on national telivision stating your opinion, it's wrong. The same goes for stars that try to influence votes for both the democratic and republican party.

Since we're on the topic of movies. From Spider-man "With great power comes great responsibilty." Too bad neith mel or bush fit this mould.

IcemanCometh
10-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Mel Gibson is bat shit insane (http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2004/10/28/arnold_mel_debate_over_stem_cells_and_phone_etique tte/)

Useruser666
10-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Ok, he was generous to do that. However, that money was for children who could actually be cured. Stem cell research is for helping people that have a disease that for now could not be cured. Money does not cure everything, science and research does. If money would make any disease go away, would you think Michael J. Fox would still have parkisans disease?

And we will never find out if we do not expand this research.

And it will be a lot longer again if we do not expand this research.

and the rest of you so-called facts are just opinions that republicans oh-so readily use as facts.

Ohh, so he build a catholic church in Malibu. Yeah, we all know the financial crisis malibu is having. I think this year your under the poverty line in malibu if you drive anything less than a porsche, or maybe it was a BMW. Look dumb fuck, out of all the places, he picks a rich neighborhood. The last time I checked there were many more neighborhoods that needed a better church more than malibu. Who knows how many other catholic orgs? Well, not many.

So to be fair, lets have a run-down of his generosity. $40,000 for charities, a church in malibu, and 10 million for hospitals. I think he just used a fraction of his earnings for generosity. You all watched his movie thinking it was for a good cause and he threw you guys a nickel and said now get off his back.

Really, I don't care who supports it or is against it. However, when your a star that knows they will have an impact on human judgment especailly in America and go on national telivision stating your opinion, it's wrong. The same goes for stars that try to influence votes for both the democratic and republican party.

Since we're on the topic of movies. From Spider-man "With great power comes great responsibilty." Too bad neith mel or bush fit this mould.

IMO your critisisms are unfair and off the mark. The Facts CC stated are 100% true and not biased in any way. Since it is not known for sure what benifits stem cell research may or may not yeild it is rediculous to say that research should be expanded. You really have not read the meat and potatos of this issue yet. From what has been stated several times here, Mel Gibson is not against all forms of stem cell research. He has reservations about certain types which conflict with his faith. You critize a man because he believes differently than you and then you blast everyone for questioning your logic? Bring some facts or quotes to back up your arguements. People respect that more than simply shouting at the top of your lungs. I personally don't know all there is to know about this subject and freely admit that. If there is such a controversy I see it being fairly appropriate not to fund such activities with taxpayer money. If there are real benefits from stem cell research, then the commercial sector will most definately uncover them.

Spurminator
10-29-2004, 09:17 AM

I love how suddenly, when confronted with how wrong you guys have been in this thread, you have now come to the conclusion that $10 million dollars and building a church is somehow chump change or misdirected.

Just kindly insert your feet in your mouth and let this thread die. Or at least argue the real issue of this article: Human Cloning.

Useruser666
10-29-2004, 09:18 AM
I did like the South Park that had the kids going and seeing The Passion. Then they went to confront Gibson about getting their money back. That was hilarious!

Spurminator
10-29-2004, 09:20 AM
No doubt he's a bit of a nutcase.

Useruser666
10-29-2004, 09:54 AM
No doubt he's a bit of a nutcase.

What was the overall persona of his charater in the Leathal Weapon series again? :lol

Spurminator
10-29-2004, 09:59 AM
I believe the objective was to play himself.