PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man Movie

E20
10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20060929/115952137900.html

Robert Downey Jr. -- I am "Iron Man"Friday September 29 2:16 AM ET

Robert Downey, Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," a superhero movie based on the Marvel Comics character.

Jon Favreau is directing the Paramount Pictures release. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong. The movie version will be set in today's geopolitical climate.

Budgeted at more than $100 million, it marks the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, which previously licensed its characters, such as "Spider-Man" and "X-Men," to other studios.

Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said the filmmakers looked for the best actor to embody the character.

"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."

Downey, who has battled his fair share of inner demons, worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.

"In every casting announcement we've done, people in their mind's eye have their own view of it and let us know about it. We're used to it," Feige said. "The point is, we looked at everybody, and we found the best person for the role. It's as confident a casting move as we've ever done. The proof will be in the pudding, but he is Tony Stark."

Downey returns to theaters on November 10 in the Diane Arbus bipic "Fur" opposite Nicole Kidman.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Phenomanul
10-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Downey is too short to be a credible Iron Man...

leemajors
10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
isn't everyone in hollywood short?

TDMVPDPOY
10-02-2006, 08:20 AM
tom cruise wanted to be iron man, dont think he made the cut

ChumpDumper
10-02-2006, 08:58 AM
This has buldging codpiece and and armored nipples written all over it.

http://www.filmweb.no/bilder/multimedia/archive/00097/Alicia_Silverstone___97355o.jpg

CuckingFunt
10-02-2006, 07:43 PM
This has buldging codpiece and and armored nipples written all over it.

http://www.filmweb.no/bilder/multimedia/archive/00097/Alicia_Silverstone___97355o.jpg I know I may be deluding myself, but I still think Clooney could have been a good Wayne/Batman with a better script and director.

ShoogarBear
10-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Clooney a good actor, but just not an action guy.

Downey may be a nut but he is a focking great actor. If he gets himself into shape I think he can pull off anything he wants.

Marklar MM
10-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Has he lost his mind, can he see or is he blind.

Zunni
10-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Not all Marvel comics are good. The casting is spot on, though. Iron man isn't really a superhero and he battled substance abuse himself, at times. I can only think that the Scarlet Witch script wasn't done yet.

leemajors
10-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Clooney a good actor, but just not an action guy.

Downey may be a nut but he is a focking great actor. If he gets himself into shape I think he can pull off anything he wants.

i really liked the singing detective and kiss kiss bang bang. kkbb almost lost me in the first downey speech though - i can't stand that type of running dialogue. luckily it picked up quick. dunno about downey as iron man.

The sone
10-03-2006, 01:53 AM
well ironman was an alchi and downey is a junkie!...so any addiction will do i guess...

JoePublic
10-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Never read the Comic I only know Iron Man as Ozzy did.

Has he lost his mind?
Can he see or is he blind?
Can he walk at all,
Or if he moves will he fall?
Is he alive or dead?
Has he thoughts within his head?
Well just pass him there
Why should we even care?

He was turned to steel
In the great magnetic field
Where he traveled time
For the future of mankind

Nobody wants him
He just stares at the world
Planning his vengeance
That he will soon unfold

Now the time is here
For iron man to spread fear
Vengeance from the grave
Kills the people he once saved

Nobody wants him
They just turn their heads
Nobody helps him
Now he has his revenge

Heavy boots of lead
Fills his victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Iron man lives again!

nkdlunch
10-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Downey is a pussy

is his secret superpower the ability to snort his enemies?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I'll give Downey the benefit of the doubt. When I first heard Ian McKellan was going to be Magneto I didn't think it would work, and I was just as doubtful when I heard Christian Bale would be Batman, but both of them pulled it off. He's got the talent to pull off most any role, and I don't think this would be any different.

JoeChalupa
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I'll give Downey the benefit of the doubt. When I first heard Ian McKellan was going to be Magneto I didn't think it would work, and I was just as doubtful when I heard Christian Bale would be Batman, but both of them pulled it off. He's got the talent to pull off most any role, and I don't think this would be any different.

I concur. Downey is a very talented actor.

nkdlunch
10-03-2006, 10:15 AM
there is a difference McKellan and Bale are baddasses. Downey is a good actor, but looks fragile and delicate

JoeChalupa
10-03-2006, 10:30 AM
there is a difference McKellan and Bale are baddasses. Downey is a good actor, but looks fragile and delicate

Not from what I've read. Downey worked his ass off to get this part.

Phenomanul
10-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Again though.... Downey is too short to be a credible Iron Man considering that he is supposed to be about seven feet tall

E20
10-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Again though.... Downey is too short to be a credible Iron Man considering that he is supposed to be about seven feet tall
Tony Stark AKA Iron Man is 6'1" and 185 Pounds without his armor. Tony Stark with his Iron Man Mark V shows barely any height gain, maybe an inch or half and weighs 215. His Iron Man Mark VI shows a a 6 inch gain and an additional 25 pounds. The same goes for his Iron Man Mark VII.

ShoogarBear
10-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Tony Stark AKA Iron Man is 6'1" and 185 Pounds without his armor. Tony Stark with his Iron Man Mark V shows barely any height gain, maybe an inch or half and weighs 215. His Iron Man Mark VI shows a a 6 inch gain and an additional 25 pounds. The same goes for his Iron Man Mark VII.:lol

Iron Man Geek Alert.

Phenomanul
10-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Tony Stark AKA Iron Man is 6'1" and 185 Pounds without his armor. Tony Stark with his Iron Man Mark V shows barely any height gain, maybe an inch or half and weighs 215. His Iron Man Mark VI shows a a 6 inch gain and an additional 25 pounds. The same goes for his Iron Man Mark VII.

Remember Stark wanted his suits taller so that Iron Man wouldn't pale in size alongside Thor.